NO TIME TO DIE (2021) - First Reactions vs. Current Reactions

Comments

• 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    TripAces wrote: »
    Worth mentioning that Chris Cornell's lyrics, as we see the 007 status given to Bond, are "Are you willling to die?" Also, that the title of that song begins with two words: "You know."

Bond is introduced in the blackest of blacks and goes out in the whitest of whites.

Food for thought.

Interesting, yes.
  • Waiting for the Bond YouTubers to start their spolier reviews with a clip of Tiffany Case in DAF saying 'You just killed James Bond'
    HerrBond wrote: »
    I have really loved all the Craig movies. I even think QOS is a fantastic Bond movie. And I did also like NTTD until the last 15 minutes.
    They killed Felix - OK,
    they killed Ernst - OK, why not,
    they gave away his 007 - I don't care,
    Bond has a child - OK.
    But then letting Bond DIE in the easiest and dumbest pseudo-hero way is just too much. Thats not Fleming, that's just bullshit, sorry.
    I always wanted Craig back for another movie after SP - but with this ending he should have just left after SP. They have absolutely no idea how they are damaging the character of James Bond, who is much bigger than one movie or a couple of movies. They have ruined a legacy of 60 years in the silliest way. Why? To give Craig one last big blast? Are you f*** kidding me?

Spot on!
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Just got back from a pretty packed theatre, and there are many screenings a day, at least this first weekend. I loved it. This film earns a very special place within the series, it gives us some significant Fleming material that we never saw on film before, looks great and Craig gives maybe his best performance ever. The score is fine, and there are some really emotional moments. I am thinking of seeing it again, in a week or two perhaps.
  • Just got back from a pretty packed theatre, and there are many screenings a day, at least this first weekend. I loved it. This film earns a very special place within the series, it gives us some significant Fleming material that we never saw on film before, looks great and Craig gives maybe his best performance ever. The score is fine, and there are some really emotional moments. I am thinking of seeing it again, in a week or two perhaps.

|Absolutely agree.
    Just got back from a pretty packed theatre, and there are many screenings a day, at least this first weekend. I loved it. This film earns a very special place within the series, it gives us some significant Fleming material that we never saw on film before, looks great and Craig gives maybe his best performance ever. The score is fine, and there are some really emotional moments. I am thinking of seeing it again, in a week or two perhaps.

So glad you enjoyed it! I really did, too. They did it right. The acting is superb all around. I do hope Daniel gets nominated for several awards for this one. He deserves it. I hope you can see it again soon. It is special and Craig's films do fit in a special place in the Bond films' history.
  • BelinusBelinus Scotland
    Storyline aside, I thought the acting was superb.
  • Is it just me or does anyone else feel a sense of loss? Bond dying has left me feeling flat beyond words. I thought Jan Solo dying in Ep 7 was bad enough but this...

So glad you enjoyed it! I really did, too. They did it right. The acting is superb all around. I do hope Daniel gets nominated for several awards for this one. He deserves it. I hope you can see it again soon. It is special and Craig's films do fit in a special place in the Bond films' history.

You said it. Saw both SF and SP twice in the theatre with my son, so this shouldn t be any different.
  • edited October 2021 Posts: 503
    Bond wrote: »
    If you were the writer and you had to kill Bond, and you had no option to keep him alive, how would you do it?
    Have him accidentally kill himself while tinkering around with one of Q's gadgets (Llewellyn's Q of course).

Funeral eulogy: "He didn't pay attention, 007"

Funnily, Peter Hunt did a prank on the producers where in FRWL he has Bond opening the brief case the wrong way then cuts to a massive explosion and credits.

Hahahahahaha I never knew that. I'd love to see that. I get some fan could just make it in Premiere, but I'd love to see Hunt's version.
    Found a funny clip where someone already thought of something similar... better ending than No Time to Die :))
    Is it just me or does anyone else feel a sense of loss? Bond dying has left me feeling flat beyond words. I thought Jan Solo dying in Ep 7 was bad enough but this...

Tell me about it. I feel so pissed off at the ending that it has actually put me off the Craig era entirely, even CR that I love.

Watching that depressing garbage made me want to stick on something light hearted like Moonraker, just to cleanse my soul.
  • edited October 2021 Posts: 3,275

Other than the poisonous garden, what other significant Fleming material are you referring to? Bond having a daughter? The words on Bond's death read at the end? Bond saying `Die Blofeld, die?'

Other than those fleeting moments, I'm struggling to find any significant Fleming material.

Is it just me or does anyone else feel a sense of loss? Bond dying has left me feeling flat beyond words. I thought Jan Solo dying in Ep 7 was bad enough but this...

I do. I am shocked at how upset I am. I guess that I’ve grown up with Bond as a massive constant. He’s always been there as something to cheer me up when I was down. I genuinely don’t remember a low with one of the films until now. It’s nearly 24 hours since I saw the film and I can’t get over it.

Belinus wrote: »

I do. I am shocked at how upset I am. I guess that I’ve grown up with Bond as a massive constant. He’s always been there as something to cheer me up when I was down. I genuinely don’t remember a low with one of the films until now. It’s nearly 24 hours since I saw the film and I can’t get over it.

Me neither. I don't think I will bring myself to ever watch this film again. I actually think its the worst in the Craig series. Even SP is a more enjoyable film now, in comparison.
    It is a very emotional, moving ending. I left stunned, but I felt this was right for this film. I'm satisfied that this was the right ending for Craig's Bond. It is a gut punch, that's for sure. But it was beautifully done, handled right; the whole film. I never felt pissed off or angry, but I can certainly understand people being upset, with a wide range of emotions.
  • DCisaredDCisared Liverpool
    edited October 2021 Posts: 1,329

Tell me about it. I feel so pissed off at the ending that it has actually put me off the Craig era entirely, even CR that I love.

Watching that depressing garbage made me want to stick on something light hearted like Moonraker, just to cleanse my soul.

I felt similar to this and felt like putting on TND instead of Moonraker lol but give the film another viewing.
    If you were the writer and you had to kill Bond, and you had no option to keep him alive, how would you do it?
    Have him accidentally kill himself while tinkering around with one of Q's gadgets (Llewellyn's Q of course).

Funeral eulogy: "He didn't pay attention, 007"

Funnily, Peter Hunt did a prank on the producers where in FRWL he has Bond opening the brief case the wrong way then cuts to a massive explosion and credits.

Hahahahahaha I never knew that. I'd love to see that. I get some fan could just make it in Premiere, but I'd love to see Hunt's version.
    Found a funny clip where someone already thought of something similar... better ending than No Time to Die :))

Funnily enough, I HAVE seen that, it was actually on my mind while writing the previous comment... the infinite fuse on the pen is one of the Bond nitpicks that has bothered me since I was a kid :)) :))
    Going into the last part I would have put it down as one of the best Bond films, with the potential of being the best. There were loads of plot holes but I didn’t care I was enjoying both the action and the romance of Bond and Madeleine. I get the positives and excellence from the film but I don’t think I will get over the ending.
  • Is it just me or does anyone else feel a sense of loss? Bond dying has left me feeling flat beyond words. I thought Jan Solo dying in Ep 7 was bad enough but this...

Watching that depressing garbage made me want to stick on something light hearted like Moonraker, just to cleanse my soul.[/quote

I still love the film ( can fully understand others not)but the Logan style ending which we all kind of thought was a possibility is still hurting. My brain hasn't worked out yet how the character can be brought back. Please not Nomi.
  • HerrBondHerrBond Berlin
    Belinus wrote: »
    Going into the last part I would have put it down as one of the best Bond films, with the potential of being the best. There were loads of plot holes but I didn’t care I was enjoying both the action and the romance of Bond and Madeleine. I get the positives and excellence from the film but I don’t think I will get over the ending.

Yes, same here. It could have been Craig's best, even with all the plot holes. But with that ending it's absolutely ridiculous. How on earth could EON want that for "their" character? I could come up with 3 different endings better than just killing of Bond in that cheap and easy way.
  • Belinus wrote: »

Exactly. It will be fascinating to see where EON go with the franchise now. No female Bond please.

Other than the poisonous garden, what other significant Fleming material are you referring to? Bond having a daughter? The words on Bond's death read at the end? Bond saying `Die Blofeld, die?'

Other than those fleeting moments, I'm struggling to find any significant Fleming material.

Isn t that enough?
  • sandbagger1sandbagger1 Sussex
    My brain hasn't worked out yet how the character can be brought back.

They'll simply start again with a clean slate, rather like the various Batman films have done.

I do. Still can’t believe it. Don’t want to believe it. The franchise will lose fans with this movie. There is pushing the envelope, and there is burning it. This is the latter.
    Maybe this was their tribute to Connery and Moore. They died, and now Bond did the same.
  • edited October 2021 Posts: 3,275

Isn t that enough?

Of course not. Silly question.

Significant material would be adapting entire scenes and chapters, not a blink-and-you-miss-it nod.

Think TLD entire short story, or the LALD scenes in LTK. That is significant unused Fleming material. Not Bond whispering `Die Blofeld.'

• HerrBondHerrBond Berlin
    Maybe this was their tribute to Connery and Moore. They died, and now Bond did the same.
    Oh, yes could be. Instead of a farewell message at the end they decided to just fu**ing kill James Bond. Now it makes sense to me, thank you! :)

Isn t that enough?

Significant material would be adapting entire scenes and chapters, not a blink-and-you-miss-it nod.

Think TLD entire short story, or the LALD scenes in LTK. That is significant unused Fleming material. Not Bond whispering `Die Blofeld.'

I was thinking first and foremost of the Poison garden, and by significant I didnt mean it took up most of the film, which it obviously didn t . It wasn t a blink and you miss it moment exactly, either.

Isn t that enough?

I was thinking first and foremost of the Poison garden, and by significant I didnt mean it took up most of the film, which it obviously didn t . It wasn t a blink and you miss it moment exactly, either.

Had they gone the whole way and used the entire ending to YOLT, then yes it would have been significant. Having a garden with poisonous plants in it is nothing more than a brief, subtle nod to the books.
    I like and have always enjoyed brief, subtle or not so subtle nods to Fleming. NTTD is fine in that regard.