NO TIME TO DIE (2021) - First Reactions vs. Current Reactions

Comments

• JohnBarryJohnBarry Dublin
    @patb Fantastic, I would have been totally on board with that ending.

I emailed Eon Productions to voice my dismay at their decision to kill off James Bond. Maybe if other Bond fans do the same the producers will get the message and be more respectful and not dismiss the James Bond legacy created by Ian Fleming and Albert Broccoli/Harry Saltzman. Their email address is on the Eon Productions website.

Email

Eon Productions,

I am a life-long fan of the James Bond character created by Ian Fleming and then brought to the cinema by Albert R Broccoli and Harry Saltzman.

The latest Eon Productions James Bond film 'No Time To Die' released in the UK in September 2021 features James Bond's death. Daniel Craig's James Bond 007 is killed off.

Bond producers Barbara Broccoli and Michael G Wilson felt the story necessitated Bond's death. Irrespective of the film's plot, I regard the death of James Bond wholly unnecessary and disrespectful to the memory and work of Ian Fleming and Albert R Broccoli. Barbara was bequeathed the franchise. She should have more respect than to kill off the hero of the franchise. How is that honouring her father's legacy?

Daniel Craig never wanted to play Bond. He stated that in interviews. He turned down the role. And we all know he only returned to play Bond in NTTD because of the money. His infamous remarks after the release of SPECTRE revealed his true feelings about the role. My guess is he came back on the condition Bond was killed. Director Danny Boyle left the film over that decision. To his credit, integrity came before money.

Ian Fleming died before the James Bond film franchise become a worldwide phenomenon. Had he survived to see the franchise flourish, I'm near certain he would have regarded the release of No Time To Die as a sad moment and proof that the producers have little to no regard for his character and the rich body of work he created.

Bill Smithson
  • 00Heaven00Heaven Home
    phibes72 wrote: »
    Saw No Time To Die, twice yesterday as I usually do on Bond opening day. I'm genuinely in turmoil over this film, I absolutely bloody love the first 152 mins of it, but the ending is genuinely upsetting. Has such a cruelty to it, after what Bond has gone through in Craig's 5 movie arc. Saying that I loved most of it, the action sequences were jaw dropping, the felix/bond stuff was great, Liked the new 007, and her good grace in letting Bond have the 007 title back, it was a nice touch. I actually liked Bond getting a kid, Craig's acting in this scene is superb. If they had wanted the Craig era to have a definite end, they could have had an aged Bond, sat in a chair with a whiskey looking at a picture of his wedding day with Madeline etc etc. Bookended the craig era with a positive note. Its so bleak, I love the ending of OHMSS, because we know Bond will live and get his revenge, but there is no hope here. Unlike some, though I loved the use of OHMSS music. Will see it a third time certainly.

Echoes my sentiments entirely. Thanks.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    Emailing them is futile, especially when they see the box office. Just place it accordingly in your personal ranking, and hope for the future.
  • edited October 2021 Posts: 199
    Killing Bond is a big, bold, brave move, but it worked. And when he was shot (painfully) and hit the floor I actually let out an expletive in the cinema! It really hit me in the gut. The many OHMSS nods was music (literally) to my ears. And Bond's last line "You have all the time in the world..." Sob. The music throughout was great too. I should have guessed the ending after they offed both Felix Lighter and Blofeld! I thought the mcguffin / WMD hunt was brilliantly done (a great and scary idea but also completely preposterous) Pacing much improved over Spectre. Craig was fantastic as was the supporting cast. The scene I will remember most vividly until the day I die is Bond running around with his daughters bunny toy tucked in his braces. The last 40 minutes was incredible. The stairway battle was f**king amazing. The set design on Safin's lair was pure Dr No. Ken Adam would've approved. And the movie looked INCREDIBLE. I can't wait to see it again. 9/10.
  • NicNacNicNac Administrator, Moderator
    bondywondy wrote: »
    I emailed Eon Productions to voice my dismay at their decision to kill off James Bond. Maybe if other Bond fans do the same the producers will get the message and be more respectful and not dismiss the James Bond legacy created by Ian Fleming and Albert Broccoli/Harry Saltzman. Their email address is on the Eon Productions website.

Email

Eon Productions,

I am a life-long fan of the James Bond character created by Ian Fleming and then brought to the cinema by Albert R Broccoli and Harry Saltzman.

The latest Eon Productions James Bond film 'No Time To Die' released in the UK in September 2021 features James Bond's death. Daniel Craig's James Bond 007 is killed off.

Bond producers Barbara Broccoli and Michael G Wilson felt the story necessitated Bond's death. Irrespective of the film's plot, I regard the death of James Bond wholly unnecessary and disrespectful to the memory and work of Ian Fleming and Albert R Broccoli. Barbara was bequeathed the franchise. She should have more respect than to kill off the hero of the franchise. How is that honouring her father's legacy?

Daniel Craig never wanted to play Bond. He stated that in interviews. He turned down the role. And we all know he only returned to play Bond in NTTD because of the money. His infamous remarks after the release of SPECTRE revealed his true feelings about the role. My guess is he came back on the condition Bond was killed. Director Danny Boyle left the film over that decision. To his credit, integrity came before money.

Ian Fleming died before the James Bond film franchise become a worldwide phenomenon. Had he survived to see the franchise flourish, I'm near certain he would have regarded the release of No Time To Die as a sad moment and proof that the producers have little to no regard for his character and the rich body of work he created.

Bill Smithson

Bear in mind Fleming was already toying with the idea of killing Bond off. Had he lived longer he very well may have done so ( he had a practice run with FRWL).

So I don’t think Fleming would have reacted the way you suggest. But then I don’t know for sure, none of us do.
  • DCisaredDCisared Liverpool
    SonofSean wrote: »
    Killing Bond is a big, bold, brave move, but it worked. And when he was shot (painfully) and hit the floor I actually let out an expletive in the cinema! It really hit me in the gut. The many OHMSS nods was music (literally) to my ears. And Bond's last line "You have all the time in the world..." Sob. The music throughout was great too. I should have guessed the ending after they offed both Felix Lighter and Blofeld! I thought the mcguffin / WMD hunt was brilliantly done (a great and scary idea but also completely preposterous) Pacing much improved over Spectre. Craig was fantastic as was the supporting cast. The scene I will remember most vividly until the day I die is Bond running around with his daughters bunny toy tucked in his braces. The last 40 minutes was incredible. The stairway battle was f**king amazing. The set design on Safin's lair was pure Dr No. Ken Adam would've approved. And the movie looked INCREDIBLE. I can't wait to see it again. 9/10.

Think his last line is "I know" . Funny I was thinking about how Scouse his first line in the film is "you ok?" :))
  • imranbecksimranbecks Singapore
    Jordo007 wrote: »
    @patb well done mate, that's a much more satisfying ending.
    Bond just accepting his fate felt like a betrayal of everything the character stands for, in my opinion

Exactly. The more I think about it, the more I'm hating the ending now because it could've been handled so much better to make it his last without killing him. After all the movies we went through with him, only to have him be killed in the end is just depressing. How anyone can be ok with the ending is beyond me.

The movie was great. Madeleine's role being much more bigger here than in Spectre was good. Craig playing Bond at his best here too I feel. The rest of the characters such as M, Q and Moneypenny and even Nomi were utilised well. Paloma stole the show even if it was a short but exciting moment in the movie. Overall, felt like a great Bond movie. And then came that ending..........
  • matt_umatt_u better known as Mr. Roark
    edited October 2021 Posts: 4,343
    Well, I understand 00s have a very short life expectancy... so your mistake will be short-lived.

His MI6 file says he's difficult to control - a nice way of saying that everything he touches seems to wither and die.
  • SkyfallCraigSkyfallCraig Rome, Italy
    bondywondy wrote: »

Email

Eon Productions,

Bill Smithson

no, come on, i can't believe you really did :))

Oh my god, i just can't :))
  • sandbagger1sandbagger1 Sussex
    I thought it weird that they had the daughter's cuddly toy be a bunny, as Craig running through mayhem killing people while carrying a stuffed bunny toy just made me think of Con Air, where Nicholas Cage runs around with his daughter's stuffed bunny toy killing people. Deliberate homage?
    Wasn't a weird moment when Bond genuflected and asked for "forgiveness" in front of Safin right before shooting his men?
  • ImpertinentGoonImpertinentGoon Everybody needs a hobby.
    matt_u wrote: »
    Wasn't a weird moment when Craig genuflect and asked for "forgiveness" in front of Safin right before shooting his men?

Man, I will have to rewatch that entire sequence roughly a dozen times before I can come to an opinion. Him cowering is definitely weird, but he does it to get to gun (did we see him pack a second handgun?) and then does a number on the three guards, but Safin and M2 are gone through a lift in the floor!!?!??! And that's before we get into all the delusional things Safin says there, which I basically didn't get anything of (I was way to occupied with thinking about what I feel seeing Bond cower like that...).
    It's one of roughly 12 things in the film where my current thoughts are: "It's definitely a choice, to do it that way. No idea whether it was a good choice..."
    Wasn't a weird moment when Bond genuflected and asked for "forgiveness" in front of Safin right before shooting his men?

It was weird but he was doing that only so he could reach for his concealed gun all while saying he is sorry as some sort of distraction. Pretty smart move I felt.

What's even more weird was prior to that scene, when Safin was talking and the camera was facing the back of Bond, you could see Craig mouthing the words that Safin was saying for at least a few seconds... It was distracting enough and I was surprised that made the cut.
  • edited October 2021 Posts: 4,600
    matt_u Yes, agree 100%, in the same catagory as strangling Blofeld. Gut reation kicks in for the viewer and you just think "what?" It's exactly what writers need to avoid. Bond's behavoir is all over the place in this movie. Have we ever seen him on his knees begging? I know he was play acting to acheive a goal (the evil genius did not realise that a spy can carry 3 guns?) but it does not sit well.
    Wasn't a weird moment when Craig genuflect and asked for "forgiveness" in front of Safin right before shooting his men?

Man, I will have to rewatch that entire sequence roughly a dozen times before I can come to an opinion. Him cowering is definitely weird, but he does it to get to gun (did we see him pack a second handgun?) and then does a number on the three guards, but Safin and M2 are gone through a lift in the floor!!?!??! And that's before we get into all the delusional things Safin says there, which I basically didn't get anything of (I was way to occupied with thinking about what I feel seeing Bond cower like that...).
    It's one of roughly 12 things in the film where my current thoughts are: "It's definitely a choice, to do it that way. No idea whether it was a good choice..."

Sure he does it in order to reach the gun he was hiding... but felt really weird, I don't know. I believe this is the sequence they struggled so hard to crack during filming because they didn't liked what PWB came up with.

The moment Waldo said to Nomi that he could exterminate her race and she kicked him à la 300 to his death was so satisfying tho.
  • Jordo007Jordo007 Merseyside
    DCisared wrote: »

Think his last line is "I know" . Funny I was thinking about how Scouse his first line in the film is "you ok?" :))

I was wondering if anyone else would pick up on that, I noticed it and smirked a bit. Scouse Bond
    It reminded me of Dalton in LTK (things were about to turn nasty)

Did anyone else find it weird how there was a lot of choppy cuts to get to next scene? Like they cut something for pacing in almost every location

I was wondering if anyone else would pick up on that, I noticed it and smirked a bit. Scouse Bond

Did anyone else find it weird how there was a lot of choppy cuts to get to next scene? Like they cut something for pacing in almost every location

I felt the transition between Cuba and London didn't worked.
    Watched it again. Craigs lips are certainly moving where he is suppose to say "...family."" I wonder why they felt like muting that part.
    Sorry if mentioned before but Hugh Dennis? 100% guaranteed to take UK viewers out of the movie. What's the point? What next ? Ricky Gervais as a henchman?
  • Jordo007Jordo007 Merseyside

I felt the transition between Cuba and London didn't worked.

Yeah I know there was big cut there. Bond crossed the road and cars stopped in his way in London was filmed but wasn't in the film

@Zekidk I thought it was odd but I thought it was more Bond's own disbelief about him having a family. I didn't know if it was muted as much as it was he couldn't get the words out
  • 00Heaven00Heaven Home

Hah! I never noticed this but being Scouse too I'll keep an ear out next time I go to watch it at the cinema. I've noticed before it definitely slips out of him from time to time in the past.
  • ImpertinentGoonImpertinentGoon Everybody needs a hobby.
    Zekidk wrote: »
    Watched it again. Craigs lips are certainly moving where he is suppose to say "...family."" I wonder why they felt like muting that part.

He audibly says "Familie" quietly in the German dub. So maybe a sound problem and they wanted it in the film.
    Actually got a laugh, when I saw it.
    Speaking of locations, unlike previous Bond movies, why didn't NTTD state the locations of the place they were at?

For example:

51539613649_2cc31838c9_b.jpg
    imranbecks wrote: »
    Speaking of locations, unlike previous Bond movies, why didn't NTTD state the locations of the place they were at?

For example:

I loved that they didn't do the title card thing for most (all? I think London got one title card?) of the film. It felt like a nice stab against handholding.
    As far as I remember there were no title cards.
    NicNac wrote: »
    Bear in mind Fleming was already toying with the idea of killing Bond off. Had he lived longer he very well may have done so ( he had a practice run with FRWL).

So I don’t think Fleming would have reacted the way you suggest. But then I don’t know for sure, none of us do.
    Doesn't this stem from a correspondence in 1956 with author Raymond Chandler where Fleming admitted: "My muse is in a very bad way ... I am getting fed up with Bond and it has been very difficult to make him go through his tawdry tricks"? Of course, Fleming changed his mind and wrote Dr No immediately afterwards in which Bond recovers from his poisoning and is sent to Jamaica. We know that Fleming lived to see his muse gain universal popularity with the first 2 movies, so I don't believe for a minute that had Fleming lived longer he would have entertained the notion of killing Bond again, not when he was finally on to a financial cash cow.
    imranbecks wrote: »

For example:

I loved that they didn't do the title card thing for most (all? I think London got one title card?) of the film. It felt like a nice stab against handholding.

Nope. There were none. For the opening scene in London, it only states "5 years later".

It would be good especially when he was in Matera, Jamaica and then Cuba afterwards to have the title cards so that we get the idea of where the setting was.
    During the film Bond says he was attacked in Italy. Felix tells him to go to Cuba so there's no need to use cards imo. Putting a Jamaica card for a 10 minutes runtime would've been redundant...
  • EinoRistoSiniahoEinoRistoSiniaho Oulu, Finland
    edited October 2021 Posts: 73
    I haven't seen the film yet, but I have tickets for Sunday. I do have one question: is the deplorable Austin Powers-twist referred?