NO TIME TO DIE (2021) - First Reactions vs. Current Reactions

Comments

• ProfJoeButcherProfJoeButcher Bless your heart
    matt_u wrote: »
    This may be the most depressing thread ever. Jesus Christ…

+1

Just wait until a journalist joins the forums and we get an article about how us Bond fans are all moaning infants based on the evidence of this thread.... :))

For what is worth my show yesterday was sold out and at the end everybody cheered in excitement. Perhaps the film is garbage only to some hardcore fans.

It usually is!

I had applause at my second showing and the woman next to me was teary-eyed. I think this movie will be well-received and make a lot of money.
  • edited October 2021 Posts: 389
    I think a lot of the controversy with Bond's conduct comes for GF with the scene in the barn, I remember my Mum telling me that this was really controversial in it's day back in 1964 when it came out in the cinema not to mention the name "Pussy Galore" which was quite racy for the time.
  • sandbagger1sandbagger1 Sussex
    I think a lot of the controversy with Bond's condust comes for GF with the scene in the barn, I remember my Mum telling me that this was really controversial in it's day back in 1964 when it came out in the cinema not to mension the name "Pussy Galore" which was quite racy for the time.

I find the Thunderball scene where he blackmails the unwilling health spa worker to sleep with him worse. I don't know why.
  • It’s a pity many of you aren’t open to the idea of giving Bond a death scene. Guess that’s how it is.

Only if it was true to something written by its original creator Ian Fleming, and not something dreamt up by the indulgence of a lead actor, a female producer who is ashamed of anything Fleming wrote, and instead listens to the latest team of tick-boxing, PC correct, snowflake trendy writers, brought up on cheap Netflix dramas.

Yikes, tell us how you really feel.

Anyway, with regards to "female producers," recall that a male producer sent Bond to outer space. . .
  • I think a lot of the controversy with Bond's condust comes for GF with the scene in the barn, I remember my Mum telling me that this was really controversial in it's day back in 1964 when it came out in the cinema not to mension the name "Pussy Galore" which was quite racy for the time.

I find the Thunderball scene where he blackmails the unwilling health spa worker to sleep with him worse. I don't know why.

The difference today is that the ladies have now learned to use their sex against us simple men, so what goes around etc......... ;)
    should we be discussing and appreciating the contributions of Harris, Fiennes and Wishaw as I'm struggling to see how they will return.
    I think a lot of the controversy with Bond's condust comes for GF with the scene in the barn, I remember my Mum telling me that this was really controversial in it's day back in 1964 when it came out in the cinema not to mension the name "Pussy Galore" which was quite racy for the time.

The difference today is that the ladies have now learned to use their sex against us simple men, so what goes around etc......... ;)

Sure, because character like Milady from The Three Musketeers, or Mata Hari, or..., never existed. They're new now... Fiona Volpe never existed, for example ;)
  • JohnBarry wrote: »
    Did anyone else find the moment where Bond says 'Die Blofeld Die' really odd. I know they needed Bond to touch Blofeld in order to infect him, but it seemed very very forced and undid a lot of the great tension leading up to that moment.

Well, it's another Fleming homage. These films have been full of them. I was shocked and delighted to see that one!

Use more Fleming!
    Use less Fleming!
    Use Fleming differently!
    octofinger wrote: »
    JohnBarry wrote: »
    Did anyone else find the moment where Bond says 'Die Blofeld Die' really odd. I know they needed Bond to touch Blofeld in order to infect him, but it seemed very very forced and undid a lot of the great tension leading up to that moment.

Well, it's another Fleming homage. These films have been full of them. I was shocked and delighted to see that one!

Use more Fleming!
    Use less Fleming!
    Use Fleming differently!

:)) No kidding! I have no idea why anyone expects Barbara, Michael, and the writers to be insane enough to listen to this crap.
  • ImpertinentGoonImpertinentGoon Everybody needs a hobby.
    patb wrote: »
    should we be discussing and appreciating the contributions of Harris, Fiennes and Wishaw as I'm struggling to see how they will return.

Anything to change the trajectory of this thread!

As an introductory sidenote: I saw the film in a German dub and found the dub to be pretty glaring and especially for actors like Fiennes and Wishaw who can do a lot just through modulating their voice, so a key part is missing in my appraisal.

I thought Wishaw was fantastic, stole every scene he was in. Just delightful. I don't expect him to, because everything will be rebooted, I think, but I wouldn't be against him returning.

Fiennes I thought left a bit on the table. That might be down to the script (or the dub, as mentioned), but the enormity of what he did and how the situation escalates didn't fully land for me. Imagine what Dench would have done if she had to confess she tried to build a super-weapon that has broken contianment and been turned into a WMD! But this is complaining on the highest level, I think. The first scene between Bond and M in his office is great.

Harris and Kinnear are a bit lost in the plot, I think. Tanner doesn't get to do anything, and Moneypenny not much. Both do well enough in those scenes, I suppose.
  • imranbecksimranbecks Singapore
    This may be the most depressing thread ever. Jesus Christ…

Lol. Well can't be helped. The ending of the movie is just as depressing :((

• Just wait until a journalist joins the forums and we get an article about how us Bond fans are all moaning infants based on the evidence of this thread.... :)) [/quote]

For what is worth my show yesterday was sold out and at the end everybody cheered in excitement. Perhaps the film is garbage only to some hardcore fans. [/quote]

My best friend went with his 11 year old son last night. The boy couldn't believe James Bond 007 was dead. He thought James Bond always lived. He said that it ruined the film for him. So it ain't just hardcore fans.
  • imranbecksimranbecks Singapore

I don't think they will. Would be a mind trip if its still them with a new Bond actor to replace Craig 2 or 3 years from now. After that moment they had drinking for Bond in M's office after his death, I just can't imagine seeing them all again with a Bond that isn't Craig.
  • DCisaredDCisared Liverpool
    When you were young and your heart
    Was an open book
    You used to say live and let live
    (You know you did, you know you did)
    (You know you did)
    But if this ever changing world
    In which we're living
    Makes you give in and cry
    Say Die Blofeld Die!
  • matt_umatt_u better known as Mr. Roark

My best friend went with his 11 year old son last night. The boy couldn't believe James Bond 007 was dead. He thought James Bond always lived. He said that it ruined the film for him. So it ain't just hardcore fans.

Kids always have problems with heroes dying.
  • BondStuBondStu Moonraker 6
    edited October 2021 Posts: 373

Yeah, I get that. The one that always bugged me was the hotel room in Moonraker where he's sitting on the couch with the woman. He just pulls the sash off her dress! He only MET HER TWO MINUTES AGO!!!

Some line about not knowing how to Samba.

I'm like "WHAT !?!?"

• ImpertinentGoonImpertinentGoon Everybody needs a hobby.
    imranbecks wrote: »

I don't think they will. Would be a mind trip if its still them with a new Bond actor to replace Craig 2 or 3 years from now. After that moment they had drinking for Bond in M's office after his death, I just can't imagine seeing them all again with a Bond that isn't Craig.

Do the Nomi spin-off in that universe direct to streaming (no way you get enough budget to pay all of them, but whatever) and a whole new set of actors for cinematic Bond #7. Some proper comic book lore-bullshit, where you have a universe in which the main character of the series is dead! :)) And then in 2035 you do multiverse crossovers, because, why not.
    edited October 2021 Posts: 4,343
    The only thing that left me extremely pissed in NTTD was how they handled the "in 2021 women don't immediately fall in JB's arms". The scene with Nomi was fine but if you repeat the same dynamic 10 minutes later with Paloma you can go to hell lol. That tux scene with Paloma was kinda frustrating...
  • BondStuBondStu Moonraker 6
    imranbecks wrote: »

Back to original continuity with an all new cast. Have it follow on from Die Another Day. No more reboots PLEASE.
    Asking again: people with nanobots in their body are referred to "poisoned" or "infected". My dub said "poisoned" but felt weird.

Use more Fleming!
    Use less Fleming!
    Use Fleming differently!

You forgot one more -

Use Fleming correctly (Dr. No, FRWL, GF, TB, OHMSS, CR).
  • Saw No Time To Die, twice yesterday as I usually do on Bond opening day. I'm genuinely in turmoil over this film, I absolutely bloody love the first 152 mins of it, but the ending is genuinely upsetting. Has such a cruelty to it, after what Bond has gone through in Craig's 5 movie arc. Saying that I loved most of it, the action sequences were jaw dropping, the felix/bond stuff was great, Liked the new 007, and her good grace in letting Bond have the 007 title back, it was a nice touch. I actually liked Bond getting a kid, Craig's acting in this scene is superb. If they had wanted the Craig era to have a definite end, they could have had an aged Bond, sat in a chair with a whiskey looking at a picture of his wedding day with Madeline etc etc. Bookended the craig era with a positive note. Its so bleak, I love the ending of OHMSS, because we know Bond will live and get his revenge, but there is no hope here. Unlike some, though I loved the use of OHMSS music. Will see it a third time certainly.

"I'm genuinely in turmoil over this film" I think it' fair to say, you are not on your own :-)
    edited October 2021 Posts: 1,664

Use more Fleming!
    Use less Fleming!
    Use Fleming differently!

You forgot one more -

Use Fleming correctly (Dr. No, FRWL, GF, TB, OHMSS, CR).

No, that's "use Fleming differently". You're covered.

You like when Vesper was used in CR06 and Bond reacted to her death nearly directly opposite to the way he did in the book, but maybe not when Bond strangles Blofeld in NTTD and says "Die, Blofeld die" like in the YOLT novel. Who cares?
    I hate the ending, but if you look at it differently, Bond gets to be with Vesper in the end.
    Some musings on Bond's death. You could argue the death is ironic (intentional or not).

Barbara Broccoli has always praised Daniel Craig as Bond. In the NTTD junket interviews she said "I wish he could be Bond forever." The actor she loves playing the role is given the most depressing end imaginable. Blown to pieces. You would think she would want Craig's Bond remembered in a positive light but it's the complete opposite. How will we remember Craig's Bond? Oh yeah, the one that was incinerated!

Hardly a great way for Barbara to treat (arguably) her favourite James Bond actor.

In the interviews Barbara Broccoli emphasized NTTD was important because it gave people the opportunity to go back to the cinema after the dark time of coronavirus. She said the film is about rejoicing the community spirit etc.

And then she gives us a film where the main hero is incinerated. A brutal death. The perfect motif for the coronavirus era. Instead of fans going to see NTTD to get away from the grim world in which we live - over 100,000 UK dead from coronavirus - she is reminding us of that grimness. You leave the cinema deflated, thinking "well that was a bit depressing." That's the very emotional state nobody wanted after eighteen months of coronavirus pandemic.

Surely a happier ending would have been more appropriate? The vaccine rollout is a success, coronavirus is less dangerous... so let's go see the new James Bond film and celebrate!

And all Eon gave us is "life is harsh, your hero can die too."

Also I hope the multiple endings rumour is true…
  • Jordo007Jordo007 Merseyside
    Given the ambiguity of time in NTTD, particularly the scenes with Madeline. Does Bond spend more time with Madeline than he did with Vesper?
    It felt like they were separated more than they were ever together

• DenbighDenbigh UK
    I already feel the ending of this film is extremely iconic :)
  • SkyfallCraigSkyfallCraig Rome, Italy
    Jordo007 wrote: »
    Given the ambiguity of time in NTTD, particularly the scenes with Madeline. Does Bond spend more time with Madeline than he did with Vesper?
    It felt like they were separated more than they were ever together
    There is no ambiguity I think.
    It starts merely some months after they drove away London at the end of SPECTRE.
    Than they stay apart for 5 years.

So yes, more separated than togheter, similar amount of time than Vesper