Bond Movie A vs. Bond Movie B (Diamonds Are Forever vs. The World Is Not Enough)

Comments

• ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
    edited June 2012 Posts: 4,043
    So Easy I don't know why I bother, QOS.
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    I'm going to have to say QoS, because I can sit through it without stopping halfway, waiting a day, and then watching the rest.
    Although I do have a soft spot for MR, QOS gets my vote. Serious Bond always trumps campy Bond for me and I believe QOS will age well and be more appreaciated in say 10 or 20 years.
  • edited June 2012 Posts: 11,189
    Although I do have a soft spot for MR, QOS gets my vote. Serious Bond always trumps campy Bond for me and I believe QOS will age well and be more appreaciated in say 10 or 20 years.

I suspect it'll be one of those "controversial" films like LTK. Some will love it...some won't. Having watched it several times (most recently straight after CR) I still don't. While there are some good aspects to the film MR still leaves me with a smile on my face.

Actually that's a point. Most of the decent Bond films, serious or light, leave you smiling.
    BAIN123 wrote:

I suspect it'll be one of those "controversial" films like LTK. Some will love it...some won't. Having watched it several times (most recently straight after CR) I still don't.

That's still better than the rep it has now. As you said LTK has gained a substantial fan following over the years.
  • edited June 2012 Posts: 11,189
    BAIN123 wrote:

I suspect it'll be one of those "controversial" films like LTK. Some will love it...some won't. Having watched it several times (most recently straight after CR) I still don't.

That's still better than the rep it has now. As you said LTK has gained a substantial fan following over the years.

But LTK isn't actually that great. I USED to think it was but then saw it alongside OHMSS and its flaws showed up more. It's not a bad movie (I'd probably put it a bit above MR because of Robert Davi) and there are things that are really good in it but the film is overrated by the hardcore fanbase. Its just an 80s revenge flick at heart.
  • edited June 2012 Posts: 1,497
    BAIN123 wrote:

I suspect it'll be one of those "controversial" films like LTK. Some will love it...some won't. Having watched it several times (most recently straight after CR) I still don't. While there are some good aspects to the film MR still leaves me with a smile on my face.

Actually that's a point. Most of the decent Bond films, serious or light, leave you smiling.

I've always said this about DAF too. It always leaves a smile on my face too with Connery's relaxed self-assuredness, all the one-liners, and the overall just-for-fun attitude, all the while a dreamy John Barry score moving things right along. I never understand why MR gets a free pass for this but DAF is slagged for simply not being a proper OHMSS follow up. Treat DAF for what it is and it's pure joy-ride start to finish.

Anyhow, getting off topic here, but I agree with the "fun" aspect of MR and I think thats important. I, however, think there is a swiftness and artiness to QOS that makes it really interesting for me.
  • edited June 2012 Posts: 1,817
    They are both very close in my ranking (QOS=15 and MR=16) but I choose QOS not before making a brief statement.
    Although I dislike the cheesy moments of MR and its excess of comedy, I appreciate one thing: they did MR trying to make the bigger movie ever. They really put effort on making things great and many elements prove it: good acting by Moore, great sets, entertaining story... In QOS I get the feeling of just another Bond movie. It has great things but I don't see the effort of improving over CR or any other film. It's the opposite toward Skyfall. We don't know yet if it's going to be good, there's the feeling that they are trying to excel themselves.
    So I enjoy more QOS, while I appreciate more the effort of MR.
  • PrinceKamalKhanPrinceKamalKhan Monsoon Palace, Udaipur
    MR because I can actually discern what is happening in it. Plus it's got John Barry's and Ken Adams' contributions. Also with its location work in France, Venice and Brazil, it's a pure visual delight.
  • KerimKerim Istanbul Not Constantinople
    I will vote for QOS because a double taking pidgeon wasn't responsible for shaking the camera.
    BAIN123 wrote:
    BAIN123 wrote:

But LTK isn't actually that great. I USED to think it was but then saw it alongside OHMSS and its flaws showed up more. It's not a bad movie (I'd probably put it a bit above MR because of Robert Davi) and there are things that are really good in it but the film is overrated by the hardcore fanbase. Its just an 80s revenge flick at heart.

I never said LTK is a masterpiece and when held next to OHMSS ofcourse it's flaws will show. To me only 2 Bond films can match OHMSS (FRWL and CR). But I think LTK's positives greatly outweight it's negatives. There are some great action sequences, and intense performance by Dalton, a really awesome and smooth villian, a cool musical score, a story with a bit more heart and drive than we were used to in the 80s Bond films, and most of all Desmond Llewlyn getting byfar the most screen time out of his 17 performances.
    Moonraker

It was an easy decision
    @Bain123 I agree with pretty much all that review except the part about LTK.
    MR

List of ratings.
    MR - 10.
    QOS - 15.
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    MR vs QOS

Moonraker wins for me.
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    I just love the very end of QOS a lot. That was so well done. And I liked Craig's performance. Sigh. This is not an easy choice for me; I do not like MR much.
    I am going with (at least for today) Moonraker, based on Roger.
    There, I said it; but without much satisfaction to be honest.
  • royale65royale65 Caustic misanthrope reporting for duty.
    Quantum of Solace, coz I like the bleak ambience of the film
    Shardlake wrote:
    So Easy I don't know why I bother, QOS.
    +1

22. Moonraker
    21. Die Another Day
    20. Licence To Kill
    19. You Only Live Twice
    18. Tomorrow Never Dies
    17. A View To A Kill
    16. Diamonds Are Forever
    15.The World Is Not Enough
    14. Goldfinger
    13. The Living Daylights
    12. Live And Let Die
    11. Thunderball
    10. Quantum Of Solace
  • QsAssistantQsAssistant All those moments lost in time... like tears in rain
    Moonraker

Even though it gets crazy in the last act, it still feels more Bond to me.
    MR- 12 votes
    QoS- 22 votes

And Quantum of Solace pummels Moonraker in a landslide ten-vote win!

Next round: Goldfinger vs. Thunderball
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    Thunderball. A far better film, with a far better villain, and a far better PTS. Not to mention, it was directed by somebody who knows how to make a Bond film.
  • Much as I love Thunderball, Connery in "jail" is still more entertaining than waterlogged Connery.

Goldfinger
  • QsAssistantQsAssistant All those moments lost in time... like tears in rain
    Goldfinger

Thunderball is good but overrated.
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    Thunderball, by a good margin for me.
    GoldFinger for me.
    Love them both dearly..

but..

has to be Thunderball

I love those wide open vistas of the Bahamian shallows accompanied by JBs sweeping music. Bond at its best.
    Thunderball, in part because it is not Goldfinger, and then another part because it just clearly is better. More action, more excitement, a better soundtrack, better locations, and just an all-around really well-made Bond movie. Funny though, it's not in my top ten, but it is right outside of it, around #11 I think.
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    Benny wrote:
    Thunderball, by a good margin for me.

I agree with Benny.
  • DB5DB5
    GoldfingerFor all those people who say that GF drags, I can say that's even more the case in TB.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    edited June 2012 Posts: 28,694
    Sean+Terence Young+great PTS+best villainess+sexy Bond girls+great locales+the best one liners of the Connery era= TB.