No Time to Die production thread

Comments

• 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    Yes, I waited a little more than 2 full months, I'm pretty sure, to see Spectre!
    So I am VERY delighted to see NTTD October with everybody else (except UK getting in early, of course). Avoiding all spoilers was a challenge, for Spectre, but I managed. Here, I'm good to go pretty much spoiler free. I only know a little of the plot and I like it that way. The trailer is excellent. With Fukunaga and Sandgren, I am looking forward to this film more than most others. I was psyched for Deakins doing Skyfall; he did not let me down. That remains an utterly gorgeous film and still a favourite of mine. Sandgren's work, from what I've seen, looks amazing. I like Cary very much, so this ought to be a damn fine Bond film. And soon - finally! - we shall find out.
  • ImpertinentGoonImpertinentGoon Everybody needs a hobby.
    I think there is some point in these 1081 pages, where all of this has been collected before, but my local cinema here in Germany has it in their line-up at 30 September...

And not to kick this off too much again, but it might be a tight one. Again. From past experience, 2 months out is still more than enough time for them to push it. I'll try not to get my hopes up before the middle of September.
  • matt_umatt_u better known as Mr. Roark
    edited August 2021 Posts: 4,343
    At this point I feel they just cannot delay it again. They know NTTD is a financial lost cause. They will delay it again only if theaters will shut down in key markets, but I don’t see that happening.
  • Hi! Long time lurker and finally made the jump hehehe.

Could these be related? Nothing big though. The track title is way too specific to be untrue but you never know.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/E7OFKmJVEAIyMPv?format=jpg&name=900x900

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/E7OFSPDVcAEzomz?format=png&name=360x360
    The official podcast is coming back from September 9
    matt_u wrote: »
    At this point I feel they just cannot delay it again. They know NTTD is a financial lost cause. They will delay it again only if theaters will shut down in key markets, but I don’t see that happening.

They know that NTTD is nothing but a...https://youtu.be/OybFOQyFd4o
  • MalloryMallory Do mosquitoes have friends?
    BMB007 wrote: »

They know that NTTD is nothing but a...https://youtu.be/OybFOQyFd4o

For how much longer can they placate their advertising partners on the movie? For many I suspect it could be that patience is wearing thin. Thats just my speculation though.
    antovolk wrote: »

Interesting. That's only roughly 3 weeks ahead of the first scheduled release. I wonder if they're going to come out with greater frequency than weekly/last time? (Assuming there are still 6 episodes).
  • edited August 2021 Posts: 3,164
    AgentM72 wrote: »

Interesting. That's only roughly 3 weeks ahead of the first scheduled release. I wonder if they're going to come out with greater frequency than weekly/last time? (Assuming there are still 6 episodes).

It's saying 5 hours of exclusive content (and we've had episode 1 already). A Sept 9 start would take us to the final episode released on the US opening day (October 7th)
    Is the podcast fan-made or is it officially connected to Eon? What I'm getting at is does this mean that they are most definitely proceeding with the release?
    ertert wrote: »
    Is the podcast fan-made or is it officially connected to Eon? What I'm getting at is does this mean that they are most definitely proceeding with the release?

Official from Eon/MGM/Universal. They've already released an episode last year before the delay from November to April. And yeah sounds like it for now.
    https://www.mi6-hq.com/sections/articles/no-time-to-die-box-office-projection-for-october-2021

“And this is where things get difficult for a film budgeted in a pre-pandemic world: 'No Time To Die' now needs to clear $928m at the box office to avoid losing money.”
  • MalloryMallory Do mosquitoes have friends?
    https://www.mi6-hq.com/sections/articles/no-time-to-die-box-office-projection-for-october-2021

“And this is where things get difficult for a film budgeted in a pre-pandemic world: 'No Time To Die' now needs to clear $928m at the box office to avoid losing money.”

Not that I disagree with the article, but movies go on to continue making money after a theatrical run. Sure it means that the return takes way way longer, but it isnt the be all and end all.

If it can improve on Fast 9 box office and do, say, $700m, still a solid chunk, then life on home video sales, tv rights, streaming etc. It should do ok.

All I can say with some certainty is that Bond 26 will be a much cheaper production (probably for the better, too). Bond doesnt need to be a $300m behemoth.
    I don't see NTTD outgrossing F9.
    The ultimate question is whether MGM can weather a loss on this film by releasing it before a billion dollars at the box office is a possibility. At this point in time any delay would be purely for profitability reasons (if we discount the issues in Australia right now with cinema closures in some regions). And the argument of the MI6HQ guys is that another delay is inevitable because of that...
    The ultimate question is whether MGM can weather a loss on this film by releasing it before a billion dollars at the box office is a possibility. At this point in time any delay would be purely for profitability reasons (if we discount the issues in Australia right now with cinema closures in some regions). And the argument of the MI6HQ guys is that another delay is inevitable because of that...

Perhaps they just accepted the fact that this film is a cursed lost cause and Jeff will pay for the debs.
  • edited August 2021 Posts: 490
    Insane because it could be another 1-2 years before that level of profitability returns. Not to mention the inevitability of more Covid variants. That’s a near certainty.

And if they just hired another marketing company and paid $$$ to advertise during the olympics that’s even more money down the drain.
    Do the MI6HQ guys have any actual insider info or is it just speculation?

I really hope this happens. I will be in theaters day one when it happens
    Unless further heavy cinema closures will take place in key markets or in some states like California, NY etc etc because of the Delta spread, and I don't see that happening, it would be ridicolous to delay it again. They tried, they failed, better to move on because it would take at least another year to come back to an almost COVID free cinema experience...
    Unless further heavy cinema closures will take place in key markets or in some states like California, NY etc etc because of the Delta spread, and I don't see that happening, it would be ridicolous to delay it again. They tried, they failed, better to move on because it would take at least another year to come back to an almost COVID free cinema experience...

I just read the MI6HQ article. Seems to be all speculation but they make a compelling argument. My point above still stands that it could be years before that level of $$ can be made again, so who knows if we would even see the film in 2022 or 2023.

Agreed they should just release it in October and be done with it.
    Box office returns may never return to the levels they were before. NTTD may be a lost cause on major profitability no matter which decision they make. In that spirit, I'd say, get the damn thing out now in a period of relative opportunity -- but I'm obviously speaking as a fan.

(And personally, I don't think the 60th anniversary means squat to anyone outside of forums like these. So I don't see much boost, economic or otherwise, coming from the relative 'ceremony' of a 2022 release).

Box office returns may never return to the levels they were before. NTTD may be a lost cause on major profitability no matter which decision they make. In that spirit, I'd say, get the damn thing out now in a period of relative opportunity -- but I'm obviously speaking as a fan.

(And personally, I don't think the 60th anniversary means squat to anyone outside of forums like these. So I don't see much boost, economic or otherwise, coming from the relative 'ceremony' of a 2022 release).

Agreed.

Agreed on the anniversary. No one cares.

I think that MI6HQ article relies on a faulty assumption — execs are expecting pre-COVID returns. If this is the case, they are extremely foolish as it will likely be years before this happens (if ever). Additionally, I think the article is treating NTTD as a special case relative to other films — everyone with a tent pole releasing between 2020-22 (23?) is having these same problems.

Perhaps I am being too optimistic, but I don't really think a 60th anniversary is going to magically juice numbers. Frankly, the idea that "50th anniversary made Skyfall money" doesn't pass the sniff test. Skyfall made a lot of money because it's an amazing movie. That's all it is!

It would be extremely foolish to continue to delay as every other film is releasing and vaccine rates skyrocketing.
    I don’t think the MI6HQ know the ins and outs of film financing.
    BMB007 wrote: »

I think that MI6HQ article relies on a faulty assumption — execs are expecting pre-COVID returns. If this is the case, they are extremely foolish as it will likely be years before this happens (if ever). Additionally, I think the article is treating NTTD as a special case relative to other films — everyone with a tent pole releasing between 2020-22 (23?) is having these same problems.

Perhaps I am being too optimistic, but I don't really think a 60th anniversary is going to magically juice numbers. Frankly, the idea that "50th anniversary made Skyfall money" doesn't pass the sniff test. Skyfall made a lot of money because it's an amazing movie. That's all it is!

It would be extremely foolish to continue to delay as every other film is releasing and vaccine rates skyrocketing.

Skyfall had the hype of the Olympics, Javier Bardem, huge word of mouth, etc. Agreed mate.
  • Bentley007Bentley007 Manitoba, Canada

It will be interesting. I can see the reasoning behind another delay as argyed in the article. I guess the question is do producers see a future where they can release No Time To Die while maintaining interest in the film. If I were not a huge fan I would have lost steam on seeing this film already. Each delay runs the risk of more people waiting until the home release. I have had many conversations with film lovers of late who have become accustomed to streaming movies and arent that interested in going back to cinemas at all. I think this is the most important of the delay decisions that EON and Universal will have to make because of those factors. I believe an added element is, does the lure of possible Oscars and awards outweigh the financial loss for Barbara and Micheal. There will no doubt be less competition this year for awards that No Time To Die could capitalize on. My vote as a fan is release now, dont bet on a future that very few experts have been able to predict.
    Bentley007 wrote: »

It will be interesting. I can see the reasoning behind another delay as argyed in the article. I guess the question is do producers see a future where they can release No Time To Die while maintaining interest in the film. If I were not a huge fan I would have lost steam on seeing this film already. Each delay runs the risk of more people waiting until the home release. I have had many conversations with film lovers of late who have become accustomed to streaming movies and arent that interested in going back to cinemas at all. I think this is the most important of the delay decisions that EON and Universal will have to make because of those factors. I believe an added element is, does the lure of possible Oscars and awards outweigh the financial loss for Barbara and Micheal. There will no doubt be less competition this year for awards that No Time To Die could capitalize on. My vote as a fan is release now, dont bet on a future that very few experts have been able to predict.

True. I have yet to see a single epidemiological model that has proven correct.
    Yep. This is the first time they have a real choice since prior delays were fundamentally forced by the pandemic closures.

Complete BS, as usual. MI6-HQ used to be trustworthy, but that stopped being the case many many years ago. Now it's worse than your average rag.