007 heading to streaming? Amazon buys MGM for $8.45 billion!

Comments

• ImpertinentGoonImpertinentGoon Everybody needs a hobby.
    edited May 2021 Posts: 1,351
    https://variety.com/2021/film/news/mgm-amazon-james-bond-sale-1234979005/
    Industry executives are stunned that Amazon is in negotiations to buy Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer in a deal that could reach $9 billion. Their shock comes from a belief that the price tag severely overvalues the studio behind James Bond, the Pink Panther and “Legally Blonde.”

Other companies have kicked the tires on MGM at various points during a stop-and-start sales process that has been dragging on for months. Industry insiders say that the true value of the studio is more in the $5 billion to $6 billion range along with the assumption of some debt. Even then, they are skeptical that MGM’s prize asset, its stake in the 007 franchise, can be properly monetized.

That’s because of the unprecedented creative control that’s held by Eon Productions and its owner the Broccoli family, who have been stewards of the film series dating back to Bond’s first on-screen appearance in 1962’s “Dr. No.” Under a deal first hammered out by Albert “Cubby” Broccoli, MGM has the right to finance and distribute all of the Bond movies and splits the profits with EON. However, Broccoli’s heirs and Eon’s chiefs, Barbara Broccoli and her half-brother Michael G. Wilson, still have final say on everything from the film’s marketing and distribution plans to whoever will slip into Bond’s tuxedo when Daniel Craig hangs up the role.

Insiders believe that Broccoli and Wilson would likely nix any plans to debut Bond films on Amazon’s streaming service Prime Video and would insist on a theatrical release, as is their contractual right. That was a key stumbling block when MGM briefly floated the possibility of selling the COVID-delayed Bond sequel “No Time to Die” to Apple for north of $600 million. The producers have also been resistant to have Bond pop up in spinoffs or television shows, the kinds of ancillary properties that could prove highly lucrative. Moreover, the films have been heavily licensed to cable networks and streaming platforms, which could complicate matters.

“If Barbara isn’t on board with this, things could be very difficult,” says an executive who has worked on Bond films.

Moreover, the franchise is in transition. Craig is leaving the role after five films and there is real concern that his hard-living womanizer character may not have as much resonance with younger generations. That’s problematic given that much of the value of MGM is banked on Bond continuing to seduce audiences for years to come.

But MGM’s brass appears to be undeterred. Two weeks ago, Michael De Luca, chairman of the company’s motion picture group, and other executives made a formal presentation to Amazon. The PowerPoint was viewed by Mike Hopkins, senior VP of Amazon Studios and Prime Video, who is an advocate for the deal. One person in the know said the parties are in an exclusive negotiating window.

Representatives from Amazon and MGM did not immediately respond to requests for comment.

Other companies have been down this road with MGM before only for talks to collapse. MGM was talking to Apple in early 2020 before COVID upended the landscape, and other legacy studios took a look at the company.

The timing may work to MGM’s advantage. AT&T is spinning off WarnerMedia and combining it with Discovery, substantially enhancing that company’s content offerings at a time when it is trying to attract more subscribers for HBO Max. That may leave other rivals looking to buy content producers, and MGM, along with Lionsgate and AMC, is among the few digestible media properties that might be on offer.

The sale process has been on and off because board chair Kevin Ulrich, whose hedge fund Anchorage Capital is a major shareholder, isn’t convinced he wants to sell even as MGM’s other investors are pressuring him to cash out at a time when streamers are looking to bolster their content arsenals.

Goldman Sachs, JP Morgan and Morgan Stanley have represented MGM at various times in the past few years and the whole process has been “weird,” according to an insider, owning to a combination of aggressive bankers and investors with different agendas.

“It’s been like people saying ‘My home is not for sale but what would you pay me for it? Oh no, it’s not for sale,” as one person described it.

Under De Luca, the film side of MGM has been making the kind of splashy acquisitions that could position it for a sale, lining up projects like Paul Thomas Anderson’s “Soggy Bottom” and Ridley Scott’s “House of Gucci.” Sources said the $9 billion valuation banks a lot on MGM’s upcoming slate generating strong box office returns and TV licensing revenue.

The real value of MGM is its library, though it has been heavily exploited. The company boasts 4,000 film titles, including classics and hits such as “Four Weddings and a Funeral,” “Silence of the Lambs,” “The Birdcage” and “Stargate.” Many of its most popular films, such as “Rocky” series, have already been rebooted as the “Creed” films, or failed to be revived, as was the case with “Ben-Hur” and “RoboCop.” Other franchises, such as Peter Jackson’s “The Hobbit,” have wrapped up.

The company has had success on television, producing the likes of “Fargo” and “The Handmaid’s Tale,” as well as in the unscripted realm with “The Voice” and “Survivor,” but rival studios were still astonished by the $9 billion price tag. Sources noted that four years ago, Amazon paid $13.7 billion for the entirety of the Whole Foods supermarket chain, only a few billion more than it may pay for MGM.

But then James from MI6-HQ throws in this potentially interesting complication:

I was not aware of that. Would be interesting if Amazon tried to insist on this clause.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Interesting post, thank you.
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    Very interesting @ImpertinentGoon, I wonder if Amazon do acquire MGM will it mean
    after a cinema release, NTTD might have an earlier release on Amazon Prime ?
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    The only thing I don't want is for Amazon to put quantity over quality. Yes, MGM and EON have taken their time (for good reason imo), but I would like to avoid the opposite happening if all this stuff with Amazon goes through.
  • Red_SnowRed_Snow Australia
    Amazon Nears Deal to Buy Hollywood Studio MGM
    https://wsj.com/articles/amazon-nears-deal-to-buy-hollywood-studio-mgm-11621880759

An agreement could be announced as early as this week.
  • It's done:
    The e-commerce giant said on Wednesday that it would acquire the 97-year-old film and television studio for $8.45 billion — or about 40 percent more than other prospective buyers, including Apple and Comcast, thought MGM was worth. The studio, which had been shopped around for months, was once home to “more stars than the heavens,” as Louis B. Mayer liked to brag. But its vast production lot and pre-1986 film library were sold off decades ago. (Sony Pictures now occupies the lot, and Warner Bros. owns classic MGM films like “Singin’ in the Rain,” “The Wizard of Oz,” and “Gone With the Wind.”)

MGM does come with one Hollywood crown jewel: James Bond.

But even 007 has an asterisk. Amazon will own only 50 percent of the spy franchise. The balance is held by Barbara Broccoli and her brother, Michael G. Wilson. The siblings also have ironclad creative control, deciding when to make a new Bond film, who should play the title role and whether television spinoffs get made. (They have blocked such efforts in the past.)
    The End of James Bond.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Mr_Beach wrote: »
    The End of James Bond.

I don't think that seems likely, unless Eon eventually sell too, in which case it's only the end of the beginning for Bond.

I guess this is all subject to regulatory approval anyway.
    edited May 2021 Posts: 1,351
    And now, all we have to do is wait another 4 months until NTTD is released, then wait until the conversation around that has died down and and then wait until new stories about the first Amazon/Eon Bond pop up to see where this is actually going... Should only be about a year and a half before we start to get an idea what the actual impact of this is ;-)
  • DwayneDwayne New York City
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    edited May 2021 Posts: 5,869
    Do we still get Leo?

NearLimpingBullmastiff-size_restricted.gif
    Denbigh wrote: »
    Do we still get Leo?

My thoughts about basically every negative comment that pops up about this are: "They would be idiots if they..."

"... got rid of the Leo."
    "... took Bond out of theatres."
    "... tried any kind of vertical integration with their pre-owned IP."
    and so on.

Now we only have to figure out whether their idiots or not ^^
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited May 2021 Posts: 14,951
    I would be surprised if they wanted to get rid of MGM as a company.

I wonder if we will see the old movies at no cost on Prime- I bet there's probably some extra complicated ownership of them which would stop that in some way! In theory I guess a lot of MGM stuff could appear on there pretty quickly?
    Does anyone know what effect this development has on the Annapurna-MGM partnership?
  • matt_umatt_u better known as Mr. Roark
    edited May 2021 Posts: 4,343
    This deal won’t affect the release of NTTD.
    Plus, EoN still has the final word on everything speaking about future productions. I’m happy we finally got rid of all MGM’s financial problems, at last. And of course we will still get Leo.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    Literally my only concern is the lion haha
  • TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports
    edited May 2021 Posts: 4,554
    matt_u wrote: »
    This deal won’t affect the release of NTTD.
    Plus, EoN still has the final word on everything speaking about future productions. I’m happy we finally got rid of all MGM’s financial problems, at last. And of course we will still get Leo.

Exactly.

I see a lot of negative reaction to this deal. But it's all going to be a positive:
    1. No more $ problems
    2. A greater chance that films will come out in three-year intervals
    3. all Bond films will be permanently available via Amazon prime (good for us who already have that subscription)
    4. [NTTD will also be available digitally for Amazon Prime subscribers
    5. Greater promotion and marketing
    6. EON will maintain control
    7. "MGM" logo will likely remain
    Does anyone know what effect this development has on the Annapurna-MGM partnership?

I think that had already started to unravel.
    Will Amazon try to buy EON/Danjaq? Would BB and MGW sell them for a certain amount of money?
  • matt_umatt_u better known as Mr. Roark
    Will Amazon try to buy EON/Danjaq? Would BB and MGW sell them for a certain amount of money?

As long as BB is alive I don’t think she will ever sell. After... that’s highly likely.
  • Last_Rat_StandingLast_Rat_Standing Long Neck Ice Cold Beer Never Broke My Heart
    Denbigh wrote: »
    Do we still get Leo?

Nah it'll be a roaring face of Jeff Bezos
    @matt_u What makes me thing that them selling Bond could happen is that MGW will very likely retire after the release of NTTD, and with his brother and his favourite Bond leaving, will Barbara Broccoli want to continue?
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom

Anything's possible, but Broccoli is a major player in BAFTA and I'd be surprised if she gave up her position in the British film industry any time soon. This deal won't have been anything which Eon instigated or probably even took much part in, so I don't think it's a sign of anything just yet. But we don't know these people of course, who knows.
    I'm happy about this. Prime Video is the most global of the big streamers, has 4K capability, and it's just great to have all the Bond films in one place for those of us decommissioning clunky DVD/bluray players.
    I'm happy about this. Prime Video is the most global of the big streamers, has 4K capability, and it's just great to have all the Bond films in one place for those of us decommissioning clunky DVD/bluray players.

I'm happy too. At last , MGM's financial woes won't be the reason for Bond delays.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Plus my Octopussy disc skips so I'm happy about that :)
    Currently, the Bond films aren't available to stream in a subscription model in Germany as far as I am aware. They have been jumping around every few months for the last few years with various providers trying to have them in their portfolio when NTTD hits. So them having a permanent place where I don't have to buy every single film would be cool.
  • M_BaljeM_Balje Amsterdam, Netherlands
    edited May 2021 Posts: 4,442
    I don't mind if there whant to make movie together with MGM like Sony, Fox and Universal doing but that's it.

First cinema release, after 4-6 months (or even 12-13 months like in time of VHS) on BD, 4KBD (and then 2 months later on there own website, but not for me. I am only intrest in cinema and BD release.). Then 2-3 years after release in cinema premiere on open tv channel.

In general this means that MGM/Universal/Amazon or MGM/Warner/Amazon making the movie and Warner release it on BD/4KBD. First option be best in this case (and wil be second movie after NTTD made with help of Universal), with problems of Warner releases in The Netherlands and Dutch part of Belgium because MGM/Universal deside what we get and not Warner (MGM wil be over ruled by them as happend with release of Tomb Raider 2018).

But fact that Warner already release Universal and MGM titles (With permission of Universal who take job over from Fox) and Universal saying goodby to Paramount (who are released by Dutch company) i have feeling Bond 26 wil be made by MGM/Warner. It mean that Universal on this moment owns Bond but let re-release the movies by Warner, NTTD wil be released in cinema by MGM Universal (Like DAD was MGM/Fox and CR MGM Sony) and released on BD/4KBD by MGM/Universal/Warner with MGM/Universal deside what there going to be on it (Where QOS/SF/SP was released by MGM/Sony/Fox).

Whyle i must at to the above is that if iam correct Amazon must making a deal with Warner too, because there having there own Tv channel/streaming named HBO. It look like same as MGM/United Artist/Fox did for Goldeneye, Tomorrow Never Dies and The World Is Not Enough for example with Amazon replacing United Artist, but who replacing Fox then.

Or is even possible that MGM/Amazon have difrent partners each time. For example MGM/Amazon making Bond 26 (and Beyond) with Lions Gate (if not Warner or Universal) and that mean that in best case Belga Home Video release it like also with The Hunger Games,Knives Out, Now You See Me 2 or Sicario for example. (or worse case by DWF Who release The Hitman Bodyguard because it take place in The Netherlands or by Eone who release Now You See Me).
  • Jordo007Jordo007 Merseyside
    Truthfully I'm not clued up enough to know the implications for Bond, but I just hope Eon retain full creative control and aren't forced into any decisions regarding plot, casting and so on

I hope it just means there is more financial support so we hopefully get a consistent stream of Bond every 3 years or so. I wouldn't really want TV series and spin offs, just focus on our man Bond
    Thankfully they didn't agree this deal this time last year, otherwise we might have been watching NTTD on Amazon Prime
    I generally don't like that fewer media companies keep owning everything but I think this means Bond films on Prime so more people than before might get to watch and stream them, especially before a big Bond release.

• mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited May 2021 Posts: 14,951
    Jordo007 wrote: »
    Truthfully I'm not clued up enough to know the implications for Bond, but I just hope Eon retain full creative control and aren't forced into any decisions regarding plot, casting and so on

Yes I think we're all guessing what this could mean to some extent as it's so complicated, but I think in terms of creativity Eon stay in control but we have seen before that the studio does have input (which is probably fair enough if it's their money!) so even on that side of things: it's complicated! :)