Mission: Impossible - films and tv series

Comments

• DenbighDenbigh UK
    Yeah that's definitely Zola (Frederick Schmidt)
  • Creasy47 wrote: »

Is there any character in the film who is not on that train? That carriage is going to be crowded!

It's starting to feel like an Agatha Christie film!
  • Creasy47 wrote: »

Is there any character in the film who is not on that train? That carriage is going to be crowded!

It's starting to feel like an Agatha Christie film!

Indeed! Wouldn't be shocked if Cruise got inspired by Knives Out or Murder on the Orient Express.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    From what I've heard about him he seems to be more influenced by classic movies: people like McQ say he watches a few movies a day and I think I remember they talked about Hitchcock influences on the last MI film.
    mtm wrote: »
    From what I've heard about him he seems to be more influenced by classic movies: people like McQ say he watches a few movies a day and I think I remember they talked about Hitchcock influences on the last MI film.
    That makes sense. The opera scene in Rogue Nation feels very Hitchcock.
  • GadgetManGadgetMan Lagos, Nigeria
    edited March 2021 Posts: 4,247
    I think Hitchcock's influence on the MI films started with Mission Impossible 2, where Hitchcock's Notorious(1946) plot was used. Tom Cruise is Cary Grant and Thandie Newton is Ingrid Bergman.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    GadgetMan wrote: »
    I think Hitchcock's influence on the MI films started with Mission Impossible 2, where Hitchcock's Notorious(1946) plot was used. Tom Cruise is Cary Grant and Thandie Newton is Ingrid Bergman.

Yes, that's what I was thinking of, you're quite right.
    With clear references to the first movie and that shot of the injection gun (MI:2), (plus characters from Fallout) its almost as if we are having call backs which may represent/indicate the end of an era?
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    I think the Mission Impossible creative team , including Cruise, are a very aware lot; they may realize that it would be a mistake to try and out action Fallout. The next film will have plenty of action but will probably more character and plot driven .
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    talos7 wrote: »
    I think the Mission Impossible creative team , including Cruise, are a very aware lot; they may realize that it would be a mistake to try and out action Fallout. The next film will have plenty of action but will probably more character and plot driven .

It will probably be to Fallout what Rogue Nation was to Ghost Protocol.

I'd disagree and say the Hitchcock influence was established right from the start as Brian DePalma was always considered a modern master of suspense in the Hitchcock vein and there are numerous scenes reminiscent of Hitchcock. The café scene in which Kittridge informs Hunt he's under suspicion is a great example and on and on.

Besides, the original television series would occasionally draft in somebody whose particular skills were needed for a mission, not to mention it also reminds me more of The Man From UNCLE, with its pilot episode hinging on an old girlfriend the organization and hero use to get to the villain. MI:2 was all about John Woo and why it feels least like the rest of the film and television series.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    BT3366 wrote: »

I'd disagree and say the Hitchcock influence was established right from the start as Brian DePalma was always considered a modern master of suspense in the Hitchcock vein and there are numerous scenes reminiscent of Hitchcock. The café scene in which Kittridge informs Hunt he's under suspicion is a great example and on and on.

I rewatched that scene recently after seeing the new photo of Czerny in the train car. It's a super scene, easily one of the best in the entire franchise. It deserves as much praise for its build up and execution as the Langley heist gets.
    Arguably you could go all the way back to the first MI as DePalma built his whole career on his love for Hitchcock’s movies.
  • RyanRyan Canada

Unfortunately one of these films is among the director's best works and the other is perhaps the weakest, most forgettable entry in an otherwise extremely consistent series. ;)
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Oh I think Notorious is quite good :)
  • M_BaljeM_Balje Amsterdam, Netherlands
    edited March 2021 Posts: 4,416

:))
    Also include a bit of Dr No dancing.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    M_Balje wrote: »
    Also include a bit of Dr No dancing.

Saw this in his waiting room:
    s58groqr4yb11.jpg
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Top Gun 2 is taking Mission: Impossible 7's November 17th release date, with the latter now moving to May 27th, 2022:

https://deadline.com/2021/04/top-gun-maverick-mission-impossible-7-tom-cruise-release-date-change-july-4th-weekend-memorial-day-weekend-1234730581/
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Cruise and friends are/would have been on Graham Norton's show tonight talking about Top Gun. I guess that's probably not going to be shown though.
  • MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython “Baja?!”
    Told y’all they’d push back M:I-7.

Now it’ll be FOUR YEARS between M:I movies! What a disaster! How could they do this when Cubby made four films in the same timespan???

;)
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    4 years is near enough the turnover for this series anyway. 1996, 2000, 2006, 2011, 2015 and 2018.

I watched Fallout again (for the 5th time) a few nights ago, still holds up.
    4 years is near enough the turnover for this series anyway. 1996, 2000, 2006, 2011, 2015 and 2018.

What an embarrassment!

;)
  • Jordo007Jordo007 Merseyside
    Bit gutted about Top Gun being moved to plug the gap, at least NTTD hasn't moved. On the plus side, there's a spy film for us to watch in 2022 and 2023 while we wait for the next Bond
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    I’m kind of looking forward to Top Gun though: another Cruise/MacQuarrie joint is a pretty decent replacement.
  • 4 years is near enough the turnover for this series anyway. 1996, 2000, 2006, 2011, 2015 and 2018.

I watched Fallout again (for the 5th time) a few nights ago, still holds up.

Also, the original plan was for the 3rd entry to come out in 2004, 4 years after M:I 2.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited April 2021 Posts: 14,861
    Yes, a bit like B25, there’s a whole other version of MI3, complete with different director (Joe Carnahan), which was going to happen. He’d even actually cast Kenneth Branagh, Carrie-Anne Moss and Scarlet Johansson in it.
    I’ve always been fascinated of the idea of David Fincher directing 3.

I’ve always loved the aspect of the films bringing a new director for each film to bring a new bit of perspective to the franchise. It made each film exciting for me because they all had a different feel from each other. That’s why I’m not as enthused over McQuarrie essentially having become a regular director of these films. The first five films were relatively standalone with the only connective elements being recurring teammates like Ving Rhames and Simon Pegg. Only GHOST PROTOCOL had to address why Ethan was no longer married so to free the character for more adventures.

With FALLOUT and the next film it feels like the filmmakers are trying to embrace more of continuity in the series, which seems natural given the same director is continuing his own threads.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Yeah I like the continuity. The rotating-directors thing was a fun idea but if I had to choose I’d rather get films by the director who hasn’t put a step wrong. It’s not as if Ghost Protocol and Rogue Nation were noticeably distinct in tone as being from different directors anyway. And MI3 was pretty bland in terms of style.