Who should/could be a Bond actor?

Comments

• QsCatQsCat London
    edited January 2021 Posts: 251
    Hey folks. Just watching a bit of The light between Oceans on tv, with Fassbender. He really does cone across as perfect Bond material in this, as he has in other films. I'm just wondering why he never got the job. Just bad timing? He wasn't quite as well known as Craig in 2004/5 I guess. Could the producers have been unaware of him? I know Craig was wanted, but Fassbender wasn't even screentested, as others were.

Maybe there were discussions and he didn't even want the part.

I read on here that supposedly BB dislikes him. Can anyone shed any light on why?

If he was younger, surely we could all agree he would be the obvious choice for the next Bond. Again, bad timing.

• mtmmtm United Kingdom
    I'd just like to see a " Good" Actor land the role. Fighting etc can be taught,
    or even with modern film techniques actors can be placed over stunt performers.
    The acting is what's important, Connery didn't go on to become an cinema
    icon with his on screen fighting ability
    ;) Although I do think it's great if
    they can at least look like they can throw a punch.

We are talking about the same actor that played a Russian sub captain, with a Scottish accent, and not a trace of Russian? He would be cast as an alien from the furthest reaches of space, with a suspiciously thicc Scottish accent. Connery became a cinema legend, not because of his ability to become a character. I'd love to have seen him play a Sea Devil in Doctor Who. This one is from the Hebrides.

Purely unrelated, but Scott Adkins has played a Russian character, and not only adopted a suitable accent, but also changed his appearance. Just saying.... ;)

Doing an accent isn’t the same as acting, and neither is it the proof of being a great one. Connery was a great movie star and screen actor, there’s no real doubt about that.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    QsCat wrote: »
    Hey folks. Just watching a bit of The light between Oceans on tv, with Fassbender. He really does cone across as perfect Bond material in this, as he has in other films. I'm just wondering why he never got the job. Just bad timing? He wasn't quite as well known as Craig in 2004/5 I guess. Could the producers have been unaware of him? I know Craig was wanted, but Fassbender wasn't even screentested, as others were.

Maybe there were discussions and he didn't even want the part.

I read on here that supposedly BB dislikes him. Can anyone shed any light on why?

If he was younger, surely we could all agree he would be the obvious choice for the next Bond. Again, bad timing.

I think the sweet spot for Fassbender to have been Bond would have been just after Inglorious Basterds; but of course, we were only really getting started with Craig then. It was just one of those things.
  • suavejmfsuavejmf Harrogate, North Yorkshire, England
    Matthew Goode is worth a screen test IMO.

Good actor, looks the part, tall, English, good accent, charismatic.

Not my favourite candidate, but I viable one I think.
  • suavejmf wrote: »

No.
    suavejmf wrote: »

No.

Why not?
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans

No.

Why not?
    I find him kind of creepy looking as well as weak.

• QsCatQsCat London

Nahh. Could play Fleming though. Would be better suited than Dominic Cooper was..
  • QsCatQsCat London
    Check this out. Enough to enrage some of you. :))
    talos7 wrote: »

No.

Why not?
    I find him kind of creepy looking as well as weak.

I can certainly see the "creepy looking" argument alright!
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator

Very much agree with you @suavejmf
    He’s not top of my list. But he’s certainly worth a screen test.
  • suavejmfsuavejmf Harrogate, North Yorkshire, England

I’ve seen this guy and his business partner on Instagram. Very knowledgeable and interesting. But also very amusing how much two random Americans both want to be Bond so badly.
  • cwl007cwl007 England

Don't know much about Matthew Goode.
    What I do every time a name is suggested is I look them up on Google images. Mr Goode is an interesting one, he seems a bit of a chameleon. Some photos shout Bond and some very much do not, in fact he looks like a different person in some photos. (Ideal spy material !)
    As worthy a screen test as anyone I'd say.
    edited January 2021 Posts: 7,976
    DzKrmLJ.jpg
    As I’ve said, there’s something about him that frequently gives off a slimy, creepy vibe, much like SPECTRE’s Andrew Scott.
    edited January 2021 Posts: 7,976
    Delete
  • GadgetManGadgetMan Lagos, Nigeria
    edited January 2021 Posts: 4,247
    There were even rumours then that Goode would be Superman, because he was in Snyder's Watchmen.
    The first time I saw Goode in anything was Stoker, and he was a nasty piece of work in that. Then I saw Watchmen. He could be a good future villain, at least.
  • QsCatQsCat London
    He could play Tanner...
  • suavejmf wrote: »

I’ve seen this guy and his business partner on Instagram. Very knowledgeable and interesting. But also very amusing how much two random Americans both want to be Bond so badly.

I really enjoy that youtube channel. It is centered more on the "Bond Lifestyle" than the movies themselves but, it is a really great channel. Why would it enrage people here? That video was Super Man ;)
  • QsCatQsCat London
    parkert5 wrote: »

I really enjoy that youtube channel. It is centered more on the "Bond Lifestyle" than the movies themselves but, it is a really great channel. Why would it enrage people here? That video was Super Man ;)

Yeh he's a great guy! Because some members here would hate to see Cavill become Bond. And there's David willing it into existence by attiring Cavill's Bond.
  • QsCatQsCat London
    What do you all think of Tom Bateman? I'm just watching the first episode of Jekyll and Hyde on Britbox. He doesn't seem to absolutely perfect for Bond, but is much more plausible than many other actors who crop up here. In certain scenes he does seem to have the potential, depending on how the part would be played. He's 31 now and 6 foot 2.

It's well worth a watch anyway!
  • edited January 2021 Posts: 9,770
    not bad honestly if he was 007 I wouldn't be upset

curious to see what others feel about this

Tom Bateman looks great. So -- does he play Dr. Jeckyl, or Mr. Hyde ?
    Sorry. Couldn't resist. He looks great. I am genuinely surprised to find anyone as interesting as I already find Idris Elba and -- having seen more of this next actor recently -- Henry Golding.
  • QsCatQsCat London
    Risico007 wrote: »

Yeh neither would I. He's not particularly unique looking (like Craig) but maybe the period setting helped me see him as a 'comicbook' Bond. I've just read Vargr. He's the only actor who I've thought could pull it off DEPENDING on the performance.

I posted that video recently but it barely got a response. I expected uproar from some and others to proclaim it as validation of Cavill for Bond.
  • QsCat wrote: »
    What do you all think of Tom Bateman? I'm just watching the first episode of Jekyll and Hyde on Britbox. He doesn't seem to absolutely perfect for Bond, but is much more plausible than many other actors who crop up here. In certain scenes he does seem to have the potential, depending on how the part would be played. He's 31 now and 6 foot 2.

Noticed him for the first time on a picture that circulated a while back that had a list of potential Bonds. He was one that stood out as looking the part. I thought Ben Starr who was on that list look the part as well.
    Risico007 wrote: »

Yeh neither would I. He's not particularly unique looking (like Craig) but maybe the period setting helped me see him as a 'comicbook' Bond. I've just read Vargr. He's the only actor who I've thought could pull it off DEPENDING on the performance.

I posted that video recently but it barely got a response. I expected uproar from some and others to proclaim it as validation of Cavill for Bond.

Cavil is not my first choice but he wouldn't be my last choice either he would be adequate
    I am of the opinion now is that it will be someone we have not even been made aware of as of yet? I know BB and MGW have said they will not counter any thoughts on this until NTTD has been released out of respect for DC. Which i can fully appreciate for sure after what DC has achieved with role.

However? Surely to goodness after 5 years possibly 6 years now, they should have had writers coming up with the ideas for future villains, plots, narratives......etc?!!!! They could have possibly had 2 or maybe 3 good stories by now for the new actor to film?
    RogueAgent wrote: »
    I am of the opinion now is that it will be someone we have not even been made aware of as of yet? I know BB and MGW have said they will not counter any thoughts on this until NTTD has been released out of respect for DC. Which i can fully appreciate for sure after what DC has achieved with role.

However? Surely to goodness after 5 years possibly 6 years now, they should have had writers coming up with the ideas for future villains, plots, narratives......etc?!!!! They could have possibly had 2 or maybe 3 good stories by now for the new actor to film?

I think that the vetting of candidates is farther along than many may think, particularly with the multiple delays.

While it may not be one of the frequently touted candidates I suspect that the eventual heir to the role has been mentioned by someone in this forum.
  • talos7 wrote: »
    RogueAgent wrote: »

I think that the vetting of candidates is farther along than many may think, particularly with the multiple delays.

While it may not be one of the frequently touted candidates I suspect that the eventual heir to the role has been mentioned by someone in this forum.

To add to what you are stating. I also think that it will be more of a unknown but the overwhelming majority of the people we mention here are unknown. Aidan Turner (my personal top choice) is hardly known outside of Bond circles and if they know him its oh that dude from Poldark.....We all are hardcore Bond fans and are super interested in this whole process. The average movie goer is not.