No Time to Die production thread

Comments

Does anyone have those days were you forget this movie is still out there for us to see?
  • edited January 2021 Posts: 17,241
    fjdinardo wrote: »
    Does anyone have those days were you forget this movie is still out there for us to see?

Yes. To be honest, I don't have any expectations when any upcoming film will be out, which makes me forget that those films are yet to be released.
  • Does anyone have those days were you forget this movie is still out there for us to see?
    Sometimes. To me, it feels like a Scroedinger's film at the moment, it exists yet it doesn't exist (as in it's complete and we've seen trailers for it and read articles about it yet because we can't currently can't see it it doesn't feel real to me at the moment).
  • edited January 2021 Posts: 313
    Two thoughts to keep us thinking waiting for another delay
    omega-00-1500x1000.jpg
    I've found this photo. It seems Q's mobile lab on the cargo plane towards Safin's lair. On the left you can see the indicator of 'EMP charge x 100'. I think it refers to Electro-magnetic pulses Bond uses to unlock some doors (like on Omega's ad and a possible nod to GE). On the right, a black rubber circle some copper coils to be inserted and charged on the watch back case.
    20200924-145422.jpg

The other idea. Some time ago for my science classes I read an Italian book 'La Scomparsa di Majorana' by Leonardo Sciascia. Beside being fictional and novelized story of his disappearance, it also talks about the various discovers he made, including (and I don't know if there's also in 'A Brilliant Darkness' given I've not read it) a machine created once and then destructed fearing a misusing capable of altering the structure of matter. It would be the alchemic dream of producing gold from metals, but also nuclear energy without waste.
    A possible reference to the kidnapping of Valdo and his mysterious briefcase or
    Safin's to potentially alter human genome and spread his deadly virus?

• mtmmtm United Kingdom
    The top one is an Omega promo shot (the extra strap and the watch hands being at ten past eleven suggest that) but I guess it's probably using the prop lab from the film as it matches the lower one. If that's Q it's funny how his Swatch has disappeared! :)
    fjdinardo wrote: »

Yes.
  • NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada
    edited January 2021 Posts: 7,518
    Semantics; the movie is indeed out there, but it is not yet for us to see.
  • edited January 2021 Posts: 187
    It would be ironic at this point if it comes out and it sucks after all of this waiting.
  • TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports
    Semantics; the movie is indeed out there, but it is not yet for us to see.
    So to mercilessly over-analyze the three books:

Time's Arrow could be a nod to the time jump in the movie and/or Bond "going back" into service? A very dark possibility would be a connection between the main character of that book (and his work) and Safin.

The other two, I'm grasping at straws.

The subject of A Brilliant Darkness, Ettore Majorana, was a nuclear physicist who disappeared at sea.
    From wikipedia: A Majorana fermion, also referred to as a Majorana particle, is a fermion that is its own antiparticle. In particle physics, every type of particle is associated with an antiparticle with the same mass but with opposite physical charges (such as electric charge).
    Possibly a very convoluted way of insinuating Safin and Bond are each other's opposite equal = antiparticle?

Postwar could be just the on the nose point that this is a book someone like Bond might read (or be given) in retirement. Also, the story of post-war Europe is in a way the story of the Bond film franchise.
    I plan on reading this in the future, but a quick overview suggests that Judt explicitly didn't have a "grand theory", so there is not a lot to grasp here. He seems to focus on the end of grand political ideologies at the end of this timeframe, but that is something that has been a reality in all of the Craig Bonds.

The book's plot works backwards in time. My guess is that it could also be a nod to Bond's current mindset: he's living in the past (in terms of both Vesper and Madeleine).
    km16 wrote: »
    It would be ironic at this point if it comes out and it sucks after all of this waiting.

Imagine waiting this long for SPECTRE. Yes, the step brother nonsense destroyed the film for me.
    delfloria wrote: »

Imagine waiting this long for SPECTRE. Yes, the step brother nonsense destroyed the film for me.

That’s a shame.

That’s a shame.

That and Bond blowing up the entire HQ with ONE bullet, a snore inducing car chase, a poor ending to a great train fight, mixed intensions with Bond being attacked on the train but welcomed with open arms on his arrival at Blofeld's........etc. etc. not to mention a miserable title song, award or no award. I just hope NTTD does not suck in the same way after all the waiting.

I do hope it's great, but I'm preparing myself for the possibility it could be on the same level as SPECTRE.
    My expectations are mid-level so I hope to be surprised.
    edited January 2021 Posts: 7,518

That’s a shame.

That and Bond blowing up the entire HQ with ONE bullet, a snore inducing car chase, a poor ending to a great train fight, mixed intensions with Bond being attacked on the train but welcomed with open arms on his arrival at Blofeld's........etc. etc. not to mention a miserable title song, award or no award. I just hope NTTD does not suck in the same way after all the waiting.

Did you have this complaint with Dr. No? Any of the other Bond films where this occurs? Julius gave him dinner for God's sake.

There were many bullets fired during the Morocco HQ scene. But yes, I do wish they had illustrated more clearly that it was a self-destruct sequence that did in the lair.

Yes the car chase wasn't great, yes the train fight was great, and your opinion on the title song is just that.

Spectre had many flaws but IMO was still a very enjoyable Bond film.

• jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    edited January 2021 Posts: 10,586
    On the topic of SP, I’m expecting A LOT of retconning of that film in NTTD. Viewing it after the next one comes out might be a fresh experience for some.
    jake24 wrote: »
    On the topic of SP, I’m expecting A LOT of retconning of that film in NTTD. Viewing it after the next one comes out might be a fresh experience for some.

Agreed, but I don't expect a lot of active retconning, so much as passively ignoring some parts of Spectre.
  • Last_Rat_StandingLast_Rat_Standing Long Neck Ice Cold Beer Never Broke My Heart
    The minute clip of Bond being ambushed on the bridge and jumping off is better than any action scene from Spectre. So I don't think it'll end up sucking.
  • matt_umatt_u better known as Mr. Roark
    edited January 2021 Posts: 4,343

Agreed, but I don't expect a lot of active retconning, so much as passively ignoring some parts of Spectre.

Expanding themes and backstories as well.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited January 2021 Posts: 14,861

I imagining the half-brother thing won't get a mention. Not especially because they want to retcon it or anything, but just because Bond and Blofeld have moved past that now.
    The minute clip of Bond being ambushed on the bridge and jumping off is better than any action scene from Spectre. So I don't think it'll end up sucking.

I don't really agree there. It was fine and everything, but there are plenty of enjoyable moments in Spectre. I'm not knocking the NTTD clip, I just don't think it was trying to be anything extraordinary.
    I think if I hadn't seen either film and you gave me a load of clips and said the NTTD one was from Spectre I'd believe you. I wouldn't say it's staggeringly different.
    mtm wrote: »

I imagining the half-brother thing won't get a mention. Not especially because they want to retcon it or anything, but just because Bond and Blofeld have moved past that now.

Agreed.
  • Junglist_1985Junglist_1985 Los Angeles
    edited January 2021 Posts: 1,006
    I don't really agree there. It was fine and everything, but there are plenty of enjoyable moments in Spectre. I'm not knocking the NTTD clip, I just don't think it was trying to be anything extraordinary.
    I think if I hadn't seen either film and you gave me a load of clips and said the NTTD one was from Spectre I'd believe you. I wouldn't say it's staggeringly different.

I disagree actually. Yes it’s brief and doesn’t show ultimately that much, but there’s a real sense of DANGER in that 1 minute clip that I don’t think Spectre ever achieves.
  • The NTTD clip well staged, executed such that it illustrates Bond’s character well via cool “Bond” moments (shrugging off the grazed bullet, quickly diving off to the side and off the bridge), and definitely has some energy present that was lacking in most of Spectre’s action scenes. Though I don’t think that clip alone is better than Spectre’s train fight which is really the highlight of the movie, it certainly bodes well for the film if this small moment is on the money. The stuff we’ve seen of some of the other action sequences look really impressive.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    The NTTD clip well staged, executed such that it illustrates Bond’s character well via cool “Bond” moments (shrugging off the grazed bullet, quickly diving off to the side and off the bridge), and definitely has some energy present that was lacking in most of Spectre’s action scenes. Though I don’t think that clip alone is better than Spectre’s train fight which is really the highlight of the movie, it certainly bodes well for the film if this small moment is on the money. The stuff we’ve seen of some of the other action sequences look really impressive.

Very true. It's hard to compare as this is a small moment that is part of a bigger sequence but if they manage to maintain that level of danger and intensity throughout the action scenes then the film will satisfy me on a primal level right off the bat. It's a good sign. I agree the action in Spectre was lacklustre, apart from the train fight and parts of the PTS.
    matt_u wrote: »

Expanding themes and backstories for sure, as well as what @mtm said regarding the moving past of any step-brother talk.

I agree about the sense of danger from the NTTD clip. It did seem to feel different.
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    matt_u wrote: »

Expanding themes and backstories for sure, as well as what @mtm said regarding the moving past of any step-brother talk.

I agree about the sense of danger from the NTTD clip. It did seem to feel different.
    There’s about 25% more image to those scenes that we won’t see until the film is shown in IMAX, which is pretty exciting as the shots shown in the clip and trailers will be more immersive. Hopefully the streaming/home media release keeps the original ratios.
  • imranbecksimranbecks Singapore
    Wonder woman 84 will struggle to break 200 million worldwide. Unless EON have some plan for streaming up their sleeve which seems highly unlikely, theres zero chance of Bond 25 being released in April. They need to announce another delay NOW, before people start getting their Hopes up again, and before other films fill the vital end of year spots on the calendar (mid October is still wide open).

The film was originally set to release in October, then Febuary, then April, then November, then April again, so it makes sense that it should return to it's original date. That also means that when it is release on disc they can put out a 60th anniversary boxset with all 25 films included.

Oh god no. Please don't give them any ideas. They should just stick with April. Delaying it again would be ridiculous and I doubt it would ever be released if they just keep delaying it again and again. We would all probably be dead from the virus by the time they decide to release it.

Release the movie in April simultaneously in both cinemas, on demand, digital download etc.
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    That can't really happen for the above reasons. Wonder Woman just dropped and it looks like it will finish with under 200 million globally. That means it would have to earn more than 500 million in subscriptions to match the cume of the first Wonder Woman movie in 2017.

I think Bond has already tried the streaming option but no one was willing to pay the kind of money it would take to cover the gigantic costs already sunk into this project. First, theres a huge production budget of around 250 million, then multiple advertising campaigns, and interest accrued on loans from letting the movie sit on a shelf for a year. Some are suggest this could be the most expensive cinematic endeavour in history, and after six year spend, they NEED to see some kind of return (600 to break even)

Luckily Barbara appears confident that the product is good, and the trailers seem to suggest she might be on to something. They just NEED the ideal slot in the calendar for Bond 25 to drop into. That's why they should announce a delay NOW whilst there are still options open. If they wait too long, we may be forced to wait until April 2022 for Bond 25, nobody wants that (but it could happen). I'm convinced that October is the perfect date to move to, only about 6 months difference, but further "out of the woods" from the Covid crisis.
  • edited January 2021 Posts: 847
    Like Mulan, if WW84 fail his streaming system is also cause this one is poorly thought. I'm in France, and WW84 is no aviable on streaming by now (neither in french cinema who are closes), or at least I should say "no legaly aviable". French spectators had to wait december for see Mulan on Disney+ but they (and you can't really blame them) don't : they choose illegal streaming/download site who offers it (french dubbed) in september.

All that to say, you can't be surprised if this streaming strategy isn't lucrative enough when you have to wait 3 or 4 months (thanks for French stupids laws btw) to have the possibily to watch legaly a movie that is already watchable since 3 months in other no-officials/illegals sites...
  • All that to say, you can't be surprised if this streaming strategy isn't lucrative enough when you have to wait 3 or 4 months (thanks for French stupids laws btw) to have the possibily to watch legaly a movie that is already watchable since 3 months in other no-officials/illegals sites...
    I would say that this legislation is archaic rather than stupid. Media chronology is one way or another when it comes to protecting movie theaters, the whole question is how to adapt it in an age when streaming platforms produce the movies and don't just distribute them, something that hasn't been thought about until now. Netflix imposes a simultaneous release in the world and I think that French law will never be able nor want to adapt to it. However, changing this law to allow the release of an Apple film, for exemple, for a few weeks in movie theaters then its distribution directly on the streaming platform that produced it seems to me the natural evolution.

For the specific case of WW84, the problem comes from the absence of HBO Max in most of Europe more than anything else. I'm not sure, however, that people would have been willing to subscribe to this service just for this movie. It seems to me that it is this lack of global distribution on a continent-wide scale that is currently lacking in Warner Bros. As the European audience remains extremely important for a Bond film, it seems to me today that Eon will not turn to HBO Max to release their film online. At the same time, I doubt that Eon want to deprive themselves of a theatrical release and that in this context Netflix is not an option either.
    That can't really happen for the above reasons. Wonder Woman just dropped and it looks like it will finish with under 200 million globally. That means it would have to earn more than 500 million in subscriptions to match the cume of the first Wonder Woman movie in 2017.

I think Bond has already tried the streaming option but no one was willing to pay the kind of money it would take to cover the gigantic costs already sunk into this project. First, theres a huge production budget of around 250 million, then multiple advertising campaigns, and interest accrued on loans from letting the movie sit on a shelf for a year. Some are suggest this could be the most expensive cinematic endeavour in history, and after six year spend, they NEED to see some kind of return (600 to break even)

Luckily Barbara appears confident that the product is good, and the trailers seem to suggest she might be on to something. They just NEED the ideal slot in the calendar for Bond 25 to drop into. That's why they should announce a delay NOW whilst there are still options open. If they wait too long, we may be forced to wait until April 2022 for Bond 25, nobody wants that (but it could happen). I'm convinced that October is the perfect date to move to, only about 6 months difference, but further "out of the woods" from the Covid crisis.

This may be historical but I 100% agree with all you said. That pretty much summarize what I think and what I’ve been said over the last couple of weeks, like suggesting a potential cool release date by mid October, like two/three weeks after Dune and a month before M:I.