NO TIME TO DIE (2021) - Discuss Hans Zimmer's Score

Comments

• mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited January 2021 Posts: 14,945
    I would imagine one of the main reasons why NTTD will feature the song frequently weaved in throughout the score is the exact same reason why this hasn't usually been the case for the last three decades.

Up until the late 80s, the person who wrote the score for a Bond movie was also allowed to either write or at the very least, arrange, the music for the title song as well. Since then, however, this has rarely been the case.

So I get why composers like David Arnold and Thomas Newman aren't very eager to base a lot of their scores on pieces of music that they themselves had no hand in writing.

Pretty much. And John Barry was never going to score a film unless he had a hand in the title song. Supposedly that was one of the sticking points over TND, EON wasn't guaranteeing that he would get a crack at the song. And look what happened with Arnold and "Surrender" when they decided to go with a different artist's song.

Hans Zimmer is probably the most collaborative and prolific composer to score a Bond film since John Barry, so it makes sense that he would have more of a say regarding the song. After all, he was the one that actually selected Billie Eilish. She would have never gotten this gig if it wasn't for Zimmer.

I know it was his first one and he was probably more eager to please than he was later down the line, but Barry did use FRWL quite a bit in his score.
    And of course he was happy to use Monty Norman’s Bond riff the whole way through.

I think it’s just been a lack of opportunity: the songs have just been written too close to the films’ release for the composers to feature them fully. Arnold was happy to slip in a few bits of Another Way To Die where he could, but Forster had also encouraged him to write some of the score before the film was even shot, so it would have been too late to feature it fully.
  • 007InAction007InAction Australia
    Monty Norman’s Bond riff or Barry's ?
    I will never give Monty Norman the credit for the bond theme no matter what the courts decided.
    I will never give Monty Norman the credit for the bond theme no matter what the courts decided.

If it wasn't for the pair of them, we wouldn't have had that iconic music.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom

Well that’s just silly. Norman clearly wrote the riff part if nothing else, there’s no doubt about that. I don’t think even Barry disputed that.
    mtm wrote: »

Well that’s just silly. Norman clearly wrote the riff part if nothing else, there’s no doubt about that. I don’t think even Barry disputed that.

Norman wrote the riff but it sounds nothing like the bond theme imo.

That's why barry did the james bond music in future films and norman didn't.
  • MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython “Baja?!”
    Norman wrote the very DNA of the theme that it simply cannot be disputed. That said, Barry did arrange and add some of his own stuff into that theme that resulted in the very thing we first heard in DR. NO.

Concerning the courts decision, I think Barry could have made a better case of trying to claim co-authorship. The fact that he tried to claim that the theme was entirely his was so egotistical and stupid of him. He probably assumed that his celebrity was enough to sway the courts, and no doubt seriously underestimated the fact that Norman actually documented his work on the theme very meticulously.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom

It's the same tune, he wrote it.
    Norman wrote the very DNA of the theme that it simply cannot be disputed. That said, Barry did arrange and add some of his own stuff into that theme that resulted in the very thing we first heard in DR. NO.

Concerning the courts decision, I think Barry could have made a better case of trying to claim co-authorship. The fact that he tried to claim that the theme was entirely his was so egotistical and stupid of him. He probably assumed that his celebrity was enough to sway the courts, and no doubt seriously underestimated the fact that Norman actually documented his work on the theme very meticulously.

Yes, agreed; he went in too strong. It should have been a co-writer credit. I think he was also ill and missed some of the court case too, and it just all went wrong for him.
    When you listen to Dr No the riff is clearly Norman's and the rest of the Bond theme that Barry came up with was built around and based on that riff, so although I give Barry the credit for its success and suspect he wrote the majority of it, the theme wouldn't exist without Norman. And as I've never liked Barry's 007 theme, I'm glad we got Norman's one! :)
    edited January 2021 Posts: 2,353
    Barry's

Yes, agreed; he went in too strong. It should have been a co-writer credit. I think he was also ill and missed some of the court case too, and it just all went wrong for him.
    When you listen to Dr No the riff is clearly Norman's and the rest of the Bond theme that Barry came up with was built around and based on that riff, so although I give Barry the credit for its success and suspect he wrote the majority of it, the theme wouldn't exist without Norman. And as I've never liked Barry's 007 theme, I'm glad we got Norman's one! :)

I think most of it was due to barry. If you watch the featurette on dr no (which i'm sure most bond fans have seen),Norman seems to go on about a song he had in a musical and when he sings it it doesn't sound anything like the bond theme.

Then barry scores the fantastic frwl theme (music,opening credits) and even the ohmss theme (music, opening credits) shows how good he was.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Barry's

I think most of it was due to barry. If you watch the featurette on dr no (which i'm sure most bond fans have seen),Norman seems to go on about a song he had in a musical and when he sings it it doesn't sound anything like the bond theme.

But he didn't put 'Unlucky Sneeze' in the film, when you watch Dr No his version of the riff is in there, and it is the Bond theme. Not played on guitar, not given the Barry stylings (which obviously lifted it a great deal) yet, but he wrote it. It's not really a debate, sorry.
    Then barry scores the fantastic frwl theme (music,opening credits) and even the ohmss theme (music, opening credits) shows how good he was.

Barry didn't write the FRWL theme.

No, it definitely sounds like the Bond theme. Ultimately, what won the case in his sole authorship was that he had the original manuscripts to back it up. Also, you can actually hear the Bond theme in the musical score that plays throughout the film such as when Bond is arriving at his flat and during the climax of the film.
    Barry's

But he didn't put 'Unlucky Sneeze' in the film, when you watch Dr No his version of the riff is in there, and it is the Bond theme. Not played on guitar, not given the Barry stylings (which obviously lifted it a great deal) yet, but he wrote it. It's not really a debate, sorry.

Who did then ?
  • GadgetManGadgetMan Lagos, Nigeria
    @mtm I was wondering, is it that the 007 Theme annoys you or something like that? I do respect your opinion about it. But I really like it though and I'm even wishing it makes a modern comeback in NTTD.
    Barry's

Who did then ?

Lionel Bart
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Barry's

Who did then ?

Lionel Bart. He's fully credited for it.
    GadgetMan wrote: »
    @mtm I was wondering, is it that the 007 Theme annoys you or something like that? I do respect your opinion about it. But I really like it though and I'm even wishing it makes a modern comeback in NTTD.

It doesn't annoy me at all, it's just never done anything for me. I don't think it quite works as a theme for Bond in that it only really works in a triumphant circumstance. The Bond theme can work as that, but also as a spying theme, a danger theme, even a comedy theme at times.
    The OHMSS theme would be a great alternate Bond theme, I'd be happy with that. I'm just not keen on 007, it's just a personal taste thing. I don't think it even really sounds very 'Bond-y'; it's a bit old-fashioned.
    Barry's

Who did then ?

It doesn't annoy me at all, it's just never done anything for me. I don't think it quite works as a theme for Bond in that it only really works in a triumphant circumstance. The Bond theme can work as that, but also as a spying theme, a danger theme, even a comedy theme at times.
    The OHMSS theme would be a great alternate Bond theme, I'd be happy with that. I'm just not keen on 007, it's just a personal taste thing. I don't think it even really sounds very 'Bond-y'; it's a bit old-fashioned.

Imdb has Lionel Bart From Russia with Love (lyrics: "From Russia with Love")
    I am talking about the music at the start of the film not matt munro's song.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Barry's

Who did then ?

He wrote the song.

FRWLsong.jpg

He wrote the song and the lyrics, he was a songwriter. At that point Barry had not written a successful song before, so they got Bart in to do it because he was a big West End songwriter.

The music over the credits is an arrangement of Bart's song and the Bond theme together.
    Barry's

Who did then ?

He wrote the song.

FRWLsong.jpg

He wrote the song and the lyrics, he was a songwriter. At that point Barry had not written a successful song before, so they got Bart in to do it because he was a big West End songwriter.

The music over the credits is an arrangement of Bart's song and the Bond theme together.

Bart's song is quite mellow and barry does a great job in livening the music to another level.
    Barry should get the credit for that too. imo
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    He does get the credit for it, he arranged that piece of music..? He just didn't compose the FRWL section of it, as we're talking about.
    Barry was still involved with the song: Matt Munro was his choice of singer. George Martin recorded it.

This conversation is about composers, including Barry, being happy or not to include compositions by other artists. Barry was. He even worked with Bart again the next year on another film where Bart composed a military march and Barry used it in his score.
    Yeah, @mtm it happens though. I discovered some people don't like it too. It's just that I enjoy hearing someone's opinion on why they don't like what I like. It's better than saying the person doesn't know what he's talking about. Yeah, OHMSS's theme would be a very good alternate Bond theme as well and I feel the same way about YKMN.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Yeah, @mtm it happens though. I discovered some people don't like it too. It's just that I enjoy hearing someone's opinion on why they don't like what I like. It's better than saying the person doesn't know what he's talking about. Yeah, OHMSS's theme would be a very good alternate Bond theme as well and I feel the same way about YKMN.

I guess AVTAK's 'He's Dangerous' too, to a lesser extent maybe.

I guess AVTAK's 'He's Dangerous' too, to a lesser extent maybe.

Very, very true on that as well. I think it's even a revamped rendition of OHMSS's theme . It has OHMSS's DNA.
  • chrisesqetcchrisesqetc London
    edited February 2021 Posts: 43
    Score update for those desperate to hear a little more of Zimmer's score:

Two videos with snippets of the original score (in bad quality, but it's better than nothing) have surfaced on YouTube. Better than I expected and definite hint of CR vibes in the second track.

I've spoiler tagged here, and the tracks are unnamed and do not give away any plot points, but obviously don't click and play if you don't want to hear the music. Track one is just over 1 min and track two is about 25 seconds.

I think track one is also a slightly cleaner version of the track posted earlier this year.

• familymottofamilymotto Spain
    Thanks @chrisesqetc for posting these! After listening to these again and Zimmer's absolutely phenomenal Wonder Woman 1984 soundtrack I have very high hopes for this!
  • edited February 2021 Posts: 646
    That “Bond theme” they’re giving us is a cheat. They just keep repeating the same part over and over without going into the main part of the theme - the REAL heart of the theme. They’ve been doing this for the last few films and it really pisses me off. We haven’t gotten a proper Bond theme since the Brosnan era.

Yeah I know that they “don’t go in for that type of thing anymore” to quote Q. We can’t have the full theme anymore because that reminds us of the “bad old days” I guess. Give me a break! What’s worse is when fans get excited when they give us a little snippet of the theme, when we should expect it full-force in each movie. It’s almost as if we’ve come to accept this as the “new normal” and then get excited when they throw a little bone our way. I find this unacceptable. It’s the theme representing the franchise and should be embraced by the producers wholeheartedly for each film!!
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    That “Bond theme” they’re giving us is a cheat. They just keep repeating the same part over and over without going into the main part of the theme - the REAL heart of the theme.

That clip above is a bit of music which has been looped to play under the presenter of the podcast as he speaks: it's not how the track will appear in the film.

I think the clever work chris did above may also have killed the guitar slightly.
  • edited February 2021 Posts: 1,707
    That “Bond theme” they’re giving us is a cheat. They just keep repeating the same part over and over without going into the main part of the theme - the REAL heart of the theme. They’ve been doing this for the last few films and it really pisses me off. We haven’t gotten a proper Bond theme since the Brosnan era.

Yeah I know that they “don’t go in for that type of thing anymore” to quote Q. We can’t have the full theme anymore because that reminds us of the “bad old days” I guess. Give me a break! What’s worse is when fans get excited when they give us a little snippet of the theme, when we should expect it full-force in each movie. It’s almost as if we’ve come to accept this as the “new normal” and then get excited when they throw a little bone our way. I find this unacceptable. It’s the theme representing the franchise and should be embraced by the producers wholeheartedly for each film!!

I agree wholeheartedly with you on this. Please give us guitar riff!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • I have good expectations for this score. I liked his work for Wonder Woman 84 a lot. It was appropiately rousing.

It always amuses me that it was the great John Barry himself who got rid of the guitar, in favor of a more traditional orchestral sound.
    edited February 2021 Posts: 4,247
    I think the main thing is, making sure the Bond theme is heard in action scenes or during stylish triumphant Bondian moments. Because the Bond theme has after all, featured in all the end credits of Craig's films so far. I think the last time we heard the guitar riff in an action scene, was when Brosnan's Bond was in action with the hovercrafts in DAD. But a Composer like Zimmer who likes guitars and bombast, could bring it back in an action scene, possibly why he brought Marr on board. I think for starters, parts of the Bond theme might be heard when Bond makes that bike jump in Matera.
    It always amuses me that it was the great John Barry himself who got rid of the guitar, in favor of a more traditional orchestral sound.

True. He did. I think he started doing that with Moore's Bond to suit Moore's lighter take on the character. But with Dalton, he brought an electronic, synthpop sound with the guitar in it, even if it wasn't the traditional Bond guitar riff, you could feel it was harder than Moore's style of the Bond theme.