Rest In Peace, show your respects to those who have passed away.

Comments

• Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    R. I. P. Jeremy Bulloch
  • Dragonpol wrote: »
    Sad to hear of the death of the one and only Smithers: Jeremy Bulloch. I always enjoyed his little appearances in FYEO and OP. He was in TSWLM too as another character.

He was in FYEO and OP? I’ll have to rewatch those films and try and spot him
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    Dragonpol wrote: »
    Sad to hear of the death of the one and only Smithers: Jeremy Bulloch. I always enjoyed his little appearances in FYEO and OP. He was in TSWLM too as another character.

He was in FYEO and OP? I’ll have to rewatch those films and try and spot him

He's Smithers.
    In the Q branch scenes.

RIP Jeremy Bulloch. An iconic masked Star Wars villain. And so many remember you.
    What an impact and impression you left.
  • RichardTheBruceRichardTheBruce I'm motivated by my Duty.
    Since le Carré's death is still news, I thought some folks might be amused by this London Times article from last year (Sept. 30):

Ex-spy chief throws the book at Le Carré and Rimington

The former head of MI6 has criticised John le Carré and Dame Stella Rimington for trading on their experiences in the intelligence services to write books.

Sir Richard Dearlove said that the renowned spy writer was "corrosive" and that the former head of MI5 was "extremely badly behaved".

He said that Dame Stella, who in 1992 became MI5's first female director-general, had made former colleagues "extremely angry" after writing an autobiography that recounted her years in the shadows.

"Stella is a greatly admired colleague, we did a lot together operationally before she became head of service," he told the Cliveden Literary Festival. "But she was extremely badly behaved."

Sir Richard said that her 2001 autobiography, Open Secret: The Autobiography of the Former Director-General of MI5, had been authorised by Whitehall only because "you can't imagine the government taking the former director-general of the Security Service to court to stop the publication of a book. So she produced the book, which made a lot of her colleagues both in MI5 and MI6 extremely angry."

Sir Richard said that since then new recruits to the intelligence community have not only to sign the Official Secrets Act but also sign away copyright. "You can write a book about your experiences if you wish but you are not going to make any money," he said.

Sir Richard, who joined MI6 in 1966 and was its head from 1999 until 2004, also drew a contrast between those he described as the primary mythmakers of British intelligence: James Bond and John le Carré.

He said that the myth was important in the case of the Bond films and their global reach, adding: "A lot of the best intelligence cases are walk-ins or offers of service. And they come to the service that they know about and find you rather than you having to find them."

He revealed that when Robin Cook was foreign secretary the Bond producers asked him for permission to use the MI6 headquarters as a backdrop. The building appeared in several subsequent films, with a 50ft model being blown up for Skyfall. Sir Richard said that Cook did not tell him about the approach, "knowing I would say no".

However, although Bond had his benefits Le Carré was "corrosive", he said. Sir Richard said that although the Smiley series of novels "have some quality … he is so corrosive in his view of MI6 that most professional Secret Intelligence Service officers are pretty angry with him". He added: "He flips the coin of reality. Intelligence organisations are based on trust between colleagues. His books are exclusively about betrayal."

He said that Le Carré was the "literary representative" of a defeatist thinking within intelligence services that he called "counter-intelligence nihilism". He said this had taken hold when he joined MI6 in the 1960s following the realisation that the Soviet spy Kim Philby had thoroughly penetrated the western intelligence community.

He said the "nihilists … had reached a mental situation where they said that everything we are doing is pointless and probably all these wonderful operations we are running are under [Soviet] control".

Sir Richard said that while reading Le Carré's memoir The Pigeon Tunnel: Stories from My Life, he had concluded that the author was "obsessed with his membership of the Secret Intelligence Service". "He was only in the service for three years and something must have happened to him while he was there to breed this cynicism," he said. "I rather resent the fact that he has traded on his knowledge and reputation and yet the feeling I get is that he really rather intensely dislikes the service."
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Bulloch visited my town a couple years ago, during a sci-fi festival. He was strolling around outside the cinema in full Boba Fett gear.
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    Bulloch visited my town a couple years ago, during a sci-fi festival. He was strolling around outside the cinema in full Boba Fett gear.

Did you get to see him then or talk to him, @Thunderfinger?

I saw him up close, but didn t talk to him.

That was good that you got to see him at least. :)

It was pretty cool. I said to my son "Do you know who that was?" He thought it was just some cosplay fellow with a really good costume.
  • I wish I could explain how shocked I am learning the same man who played Boba Fett was also Smithers :)) :)) :))

R.I.P. to an icon

It was pretty cool. I said to my son "Do you know who that was?" He thought it was just some cosplay fellow with a really good costume.

Yes, I'm sure it's a good memory you'll both cherish.
  • ResurrectionResurrection Kolkata, India
    RIP to Mr Bulloch,what an iconic star.
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    Just learned on Facebook that Bond production designer Peter Lamont has passed away.
    Such sad news. One of the long term Bond crew, who went all the way back to GF, where he served as a draughtsman for Ken Adam.
    RIP
    Dammit!
  • Rest In Peace Peter Lamont :( :( :(

Your contributions will never be forgotten
  • DwayneDwayne New York City
    RIP Peter Lamont.
    R.I.P. Peter Lamont,
    one the many legends of the Bond series!
    Lamont was very professional and amicable.
  • ResurrectionResurrection Kolkata, India
    Yeah, looks like it. https://archivo007.com/peter-lamont-1929-2020/
    RIP Lamont
  • GoldenGunGoldenGun Per ora e per il momento che verrà
    I was just thinking about Peter Lamont today. Incredibly gifted production designer. Underrated too, I think.

Lamont created surroundings in which characters could breath. Sets that complimented the atmosphere of a film, places where stories could unfold. That was his greatest strength.

Imaginative designs that didn't take centre-stage, detailed backdrops that never pushed characters into a corner. Sometimes critics talk about actor directors, well I think Peter Lamont was an actor production designer.

He'll be missed. RIP Mr. Lamont :(
  • cwl007cwl007 England
    Peter Lamont, another truly great Bond 'Mount Rushmore' candidate gone. His contribution is beyond huge.
    He leaves behind a clever, fabulously inventive legacy on screen to enjoy forever.
  • Chad Stuart, of the '60s pop duo Chad & Jeremy, has passed. Here's a fairly recent clip of them doing A Summer Song. "They say that all good things must end some day..."
  • DwayneDwayne New York City
    Thanks @BeatlesSansEarmuffs.

https://bestclassicbands.com/chad-stuart-obituary-12-20-20/

Oddly, for many years my chief memory of Chad and Jeremey was from the guest starring role on an episode of the old Batman TV show (Catwoman steals their voices IIRC). Later, I always confused them with another duo - Peter & Gordon. Thankfully, I know better now. They were IMO an important bridge between folk and pop back in the mid 1960s.

RIP.
    I've just learned that french actor Claude Brasseur has passed away, aged 84 :

https://www.france24.news/en/2020/12/claude-brasseur-is-dead.html

A great actor with a great career. He'll certainly be missed.
    French-Israeli singer Rika Zaraï has passed away, aged 82 :

http://www.tellerreport.com/life/2020-12-23-%0A---franco-israeli-singer-rika-zara%C3%AF-is-dead%0A--.HyUxNrpeaP.html

I remember seeing her on stage in an open air concert way back in the seventies. She was very popular in those days.

• DaltonFanDaltonFan California
    Rafer Johnson, who won 2 Olympic medals in the Decatholon and appeared in Licence To Kill .
    And now violinist Ivry Gitlis, who has just passed away aged an impressive 98 :

https://www.i24news.tv/en/news/israel/1608817435-israel-s-violin-genius-ivry-gitlis-dies-at-98

RIP Lamont and Bulloch

DaltonFan wrote: »
    Rafer Johnson, who won 2 Olympic medals in the Decatholon and appeared in Licence To Kill .

Sad to hear about Rafer Johnson. Not only do I remember him from "License to Kill", but I also remember him from his participation in the 1984 Olympic Games in Los Angeles.