Where's the MI6 jubilee street party?

13»

Comments

Getafix wrote:
    The best threads are the ones that go amusingly off topic.

Yes, of course. 8-|

Some off topic threads are funny and good, some aren't. This one has been pretty funny so I don't care.

But on another thread we had somebody ranting about how 9/11 was a conspiracy and who's posts were close to racist, those are the off topic threads I don't like.
    slyfox wrote:
    A thread about the Jubilee becomes a thread about Flemings sperm. Gotta love how off topic things get around here.

Classic. If only there was a like button.

Seems some members on this forum might need the Wizard to start up his own sex education thread on here!

That would be hilarious :))
    BAIN123 wrote:
    I decided to skip the jubilee stuff today and headed down to Beaulieu instead :D Saw part of the concert last night though. Grace Jones was pretty terrible as was Sir Cliff and Cheryl Cole.

As Pierce's Bond would say "who's strangling a cat?"

I only caught a bit of it because I was watching QOS on the other channel, but yeah Cheryl was awful. Last night she showed why she usually mimes. I didn't bother with any of it today either, can't be doing with it all tbh. Is Beaulieu the car place?

Yeah. Well worth going to.
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    edited June 2012 Posts: 9,117
    slyfox wrote:
    Seems some members on this forum might need the Wizard to start up his own sex education thread on here!

I'm afraid I'm not going to be responsible for instructing some of the clowns around here on how to pass on their defective DNA down the generations. If theyre too stupid to understand how it works then they die off - natural selection in action.

In any case since I got put on the register the authorities dont take too kindly to my particular brand of hands on sex instruction for minors.
    slyfox wrote:

I'm afraid I'm not going to be responsible for instructing some of the clowns around here on how to pass on their defective DNA down the generations. If theyre too stupid to understand how it works then they die off - natural selection in action.

In any case since I got put on the register the authorities dont take too kindly to my particular brand of hands on sex instruction for minors.

Even I have to say that if that's supposed to be a joke it's in pretty poor taste...

Moving swiftly on, I don't know whether any of you watched the concert outside Buckingham Palace on Monday night. If you did you might have recognised Stevie Wonder's drummer: none other than King Errisson of Thunderball fame.
  • St_GeorgeSt_George Shuttling Drax's lovelies to the space doughnut - happy 40th, MR!
    Getafix wrote:

It was rained off...

;)
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    St_George wrote:
    Getafix wrote:

It was rained off...

;)

But...but...I brought umbrellas... :(
    I really don't care about the British Royal Family, I applaud the Queen for her Diamond anniversary and hope everyone had a good time and all but this event was lost on me, I hope I don't get put in the tower of London or my eyes eaten by ravens but I've always found the UK royal family a bunch of expressionless, emotionless, banal and mundane group of individuals, I think you'd get more personality and charisma from the statues on Easter Island, and they're not as dull either. Nobody take offense or anything, it's just how I feel about it. Sorry your Majesty etc

easter-island.jpg
    I've always found the UK royal family a bunch of expressionless, emotionless, banal and mundane group of individuals, I think you'd get more personality and charisma from the statues on Easter Island, and they're not as dull either. Nobody take offense or anything, it's just how I feel about it. Sorry your Majesty etc[/IMG]

You've obviously never heard of Fergie or Prince Phillip!
    Seriously, the house of Windsor is no worse than any other of the remaining European Royal families when it comes to banality. It's sort of what you want from a Monarchy - if they're too outspoken or flamboyant they can get up people's noses. Also as representatives of their country they're more like diplomats than any thing else, so they're practised in the art of restraint and not causing offense. For example - as a child Prince Charles had to practise sitting perfectly still for two hours at a time so he wouldn't fidget or yawn when he went to a public event.
    I really don't care about the British Royal Family, I applaud the Queen for her Diamond anniversary and hope everyone had a good time and all but this event was lost on me, I hope I don't get put in the tower of London or my eyes eaten by ravens but I've always found the UK royal family a bunch of expressionless, emotionless, banal and mundane group of individuals, I think you'd get more personality and charisma from the statues on Easter Island, and they're not as dull either. Nobody take offense or anything, it's just how I feel about it. Sorry your Majesty etc

easter-island.jpg

Well said. I watched the river pageant and felt embarassed. Why we still tolerate being ruled by these dead beats I do not know.
  • St_GeorgeSt_George Shuttling Drax's lovelies to the space doughnut - happy 40th, MR!
    edited June 2012 Posts: 1,699
    Getafix wrote:
    Well said. I watched the river pageant and felt embarassed. Why we still tolerate being ruled by these dead beats I do not know.

We're not ruled by them. No English/ Scottish or simply British monarch has had any genuine power for approximately three hundred years (since Parliament made a deal with William of Orange to pop over the Channel and fill the void left by James II under the agreement Parliament would have pretty much total say). Since then they've reigned, not ruled.

Technically, as the UK Government is 'His/ Her Majesty's Government', a monarch has the power to dissolve the Government and thus choose politicians they want to rule the nation (in a time of crisis etc), but given politicians in this country are thoroughly democratically elected nowadays (and the monarch he/herself quite clearly is not), the likelihood of this happening are about as high as England winning Euro 2012... ;)

easter-island.jpg

Thank you. I agree.
    St_George wrote:
    the likelihood of this happening are about as high as England winning Euro 2012... ;)

I'd say it has a higher likelihood than that.