Who should/could be a Bond actor?

Comments

suavejmf wrote: »
    Benny wrote: »
    Timothee Chalamet is about the most polar opposite of Ian Fleming's, James Bond as I think you could get.
    As an American he immediately rules himself out for me. As an actor, well to be fair he can act. Looks wise, he looks like a stiff breeze would blow him over, he doesn't have that tough, steely look of Bond. A man with confidence, a man who doesn't fear death. He looks like he'd be looking to make sure his mum would be around when he gets the nerve to take on Red Grant.
    It's still a big no from me, and I cannot see that changing.

Great post. It remains a ludicrous nomination.

Posts like these make me want to stick around. Thank you, @Benny, for your lucidity.
  • edited November 2020 Posts: 3,333
    MSL49 wrote: »
    What is a perfect starting age?
    Depends on the actor and his appearance. Some actors look older and some actors look far younger than their actual years. Unless they can find a mature and rugged early thirtysomething for the role, I'd say late 30's is the more preferable age.

As for suggesting Timothee Chalamet, @Pierce2Daniel... why don't you throw Lucas Hedges or Jacob Tremblay's name into the hat while you're at it?

2016-Oscar-Jacob-Tremblay-Children-Occassion-Wear-Page-Boy-Tuxedo-For-Boys-Toddler-Formal-Suits-Boy.jpg
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    Timothee Chalamet is about the most polar opposite of Ian Fleming's, James Bond as I think you could get.
    As an American he immediately rules himself out for me. As an actor, well to be fair he can act. Looks wise, he looks like a stiff breeze would blow him over, he doesn't have that tough, steely look of Bond. A man with confidence, a man who doesn't fear death. He looks like he'd be looking to make sure his mum would be around when he gets the nerve to take on Red Grant.

Yeah, I can't find anything to disagree with here, as much as I try to. He'll also only be 27 in 2023. Hitting the gym can only do so much in this case. Some actors just aren't suitable.

As a personal preference/tangent, though - I would like the next Bond to be slimmer than Craig was. Craig's physique suits him well but I don't want a super muscular Bond all the time going forward. That's not Fleming's Bond either.
  • suavejmfsuavejmf Harrogate, North Yorkshire, England
    edited November 2020 Posts: 5,131

Yeah, I can't find anything to disagree with here, as much as I try to. He'll also only be 27 in 2023. Hitting the gym can only do so much in this case. Some actors just aren't suitable.

As a personal preference/tangent, though - I would like the next Bond to be slimmer than Craig was. Craig's physique suits him well but I don't want a super muscular Bond all the time going forward. That's not Fleming's Bond either.

Age aside. Chamalet will still be American, short, little, ‘pointy chined,’ slightly odd looking and unsuitable in 20 years time.

It’s amusing trolling on this fan site though.

Age aside. Chamalet will still be American, short, little, ‘pointy chined,’ slightly odd looking and unsuitable in 20 years time.

Well, yeah....I agree with all that. He's not to my taste at all. I was just trying to be more charitable. I don't think @Pierce2Daniel is intentionally trolling, I think he genuinely believes Chalamet would be a good choice for whatever reason.

Well, yeah....I agree with all that. He's not to my taste at all. I was just trying to be more charitable. I don't think @Pierce2Daniel is intentionally trolling, I think he genuinely believes Chalamet would be a good choice for whatever reason.

I think so too. As he genuinely believed Pattison and David Washington were both suitable candidates. I just don't think he gets Bond, but that's just my Partridge analysis. Someone else will come along and make me look like a conservative prick for it :D Which, btw, I'm not, a conservative I mean ;)

Anyway, still rooting for Hoult here, or Turner.
    edited November 2020 Posts: 8,034
    Univex wrote: »

I think so too. As he genuinely believed Pattison and David Washington were both suitable candidates. I just don't think he gets Bond, but that's just my Partridge analysis. Someone else will come along and make me look like a conservative prick for it :D Which, btw, I'm not, a conservative I mean ;)

:))

I never once took you for a conservative, @Univex ;)

Hoult is good with me. Turner I still haven't seen in anything. Jackson-Taylor is also one to watch based on the last dozen or so pages.
    Someone else will come along and make me look like a conservative prick for it :D Which, btw, I'm not, a conservative I mean ;)
    Ian Fleming described himself as a totally non-political animal, prefering the name of the Liberal Party to the name of any other, but he DID vote Conservative rather than Labour, mainly because the Conservatives "had bigger bottoms" and he "believed that big bottoms make for better government than scrawny ones."

https://spectator.co.uk/article/if-i-were-prime-minister-by-ian-fleming
  • MSL49MSL49 Finland
    Anyone familiar with Tom Austen? He was on The Royals and Grantchester, and stars in some new show on Hulu called Helstrom. 32 years old, 6'1.

MV5BM2ZkNGI1ZjAtMTRjNC00MWRlLTk1YWUtMzljMGNiYjMwMzBmXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMjk3MzQ2MDk@._V1_.jpg

Nick-thompson-feature-.jpg?fit=2048%2C1317&ssl=1

Nick-Images-.jpg

EkjTzzGWkAIX7_y?format=jpg&name=900x900

I think he is a good suggestion.

:))

I never once took you for a conservative, @Univex ;)

Hoult is good with me. Turner I still haven't seen in anything. Jackson-Taylor is also one to watch based on the last dozen or so pages.

I forgot Jackson-Taylor, but yes, he sure is a contender. He had presence in Bly Manor.

bondsum wrote: »
    Someone else will come along and make me look like a conservative prick for it :D Which, btw, I'm not, a conservative I mean ;)
    Ian Fleming described himself as a totally non-political animal, prefering the name of the Liberal Party to the name of any other, but he DID vote Conservative rather than Labour, mainly because the Conservatives "had bigger bottoms" and he "believed that big bottoms make for better government than scrawny ones."

https://spectator.co.uk/article/if-i-were-prime-minister-by-ian-fleming

eheh, yes, I know. I suppose I'd position myself as a liberal who appreciates tradition and who doesn't think liberalism is the same as debauchery or anarchy. Some men hide behind what they describe as extreme liberalism, only to get away with their deconstructive semi-nihilistic borderline personas. Not talking about anyone in particular of course. But I do get where Fleming came from with that remark. I'm a liberal democrat, but not one who's head is beneath the proverbial sand.
  • sandbagger1sandbagger1 Sussex
    edited November 2020 Posts: 722
    When we're talking about "Jackson-Taylor", is this a typo and we're actually talking about Oliver Jackson-Cohen? I ask because so many actors pop up here that I've not heard of before I can't be sure I've missed another new candidate. This is the guy in Bly Manor, right (I've only seen the first episode so far)?
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    So I thought I'd put some of the suggestions down with how old they'll be by the time I think we could realistically get Bond 26, which is around 2025.

Sam Claflin (34) - (39)
    Aaron Taylor-Johnson (30) - (35)
    Callum Turner (30) - (35)
    Nicholas Hoult (30) - (36)
    Oliver Jackson-Cohen (34) - (39)
    Aiden Turner (37) - (42)
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    Here, I fixed this list. ;)

Sam Claflin (34) - (39)

Nicholas Hoult (30) - (36)

Aiden Turner (37) - (42)
    When we're talking about "Jackson-Taylor", is this a typo and we're actually talking about Oliver Jackson-Cohen? I ask because so many actors pop up here that I've not heard of before I can't be sure I've missed another new candidate. This is the guy in Bly Manor, right (I've only seen the first episode so far)?

Quite right. My mistake.

Quite right. My mistake.

I've seen a clip from later in Bly Manor where I thought he seemed pretty good. If he keeps getting film roles he might well be a contender (if anybody gets around to making films again).
    Anyone familiar with Tom Austen? He was on The Royals and Grantchester, and stars in some new show on Hulu called Helstrom. 32 years old, 6'1.

I've not seen him in anything, but he's the right age and height. Not a very high profile actor, though - I think he'll need at least one high-profile role (preferably in film) to be in the running, though I don't know - before casting Daniel Craig they seemed to be looking at virtually everybody regardless of prestige. I'd guess they'll want someone with some prestige roles to their name to follow Craig, but I might be completely wrong.

I see that the BBC are remaking Brideshead Revisited. That's a high-profile drama, it will be interesting to see who'll be picked for that. One name I see connected to it is Joe Alwyn, who I've not really noticed before (though he was in The Favourite, which I saw last month). He is the right age and height and seems to be getting film work of decent quality. He might be worth keeping an eye on as a possible contender. If he was to get the role I would like to see him dye his hair black, though - he's looking very blonde in the pictures I've seen, and I'd rather 007 stick to dark hair where possible.
  • MSL49MSL49 Finland
    I think we should send those list's to EON.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    I think we should send those list's to EON.
    +1

Posts like these make me want to stick around. Thank you, @Benny, for your lucidity.

I would add two tbings: 1)Chamalet going mano a mano against Nick Nack, my money would be on Nick Nack and 2)for those advocating him in the role, seriously guys, putting his head on Craig's body doesn't make your claim even remotely more credible.
    Ludovico wrote: »

I would add two tbings: 1)Chamalet going mano a mano against Nick Nack, my money would be on Nick Nack and 2)for those advocating him in the role, seriously guys, putting his head on Craig's body doesn't make your claim even remotely more credible.

:)) =)) Indeed.
  • MSL49MSL49 Finland
    I think EON should screentest atleast 3 actor's.
    EON will already have made a preliminary list which we're not privy to. Of course they'll deny it, but they've always done preparatory work on the quiet for when a change might occur. When the times comes, they will certainly screen test 3 or more actors for the role.

As for the type of actor, I suppose it all depends on which direction they decide to go in after Craig. Do they continue onwards in the same timeline with the same key personnel in their roles, or do they completely reboot the franchise with a raft of new faces and go for a complete overhaul? Should NTTD perform badly, then it could push the studio and EON into a big rethink. Couple this with the uncertainty of movie theatres reopening again and business back to normal, and it could well force them to choose actors on a far smaller budget next time round.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    I agree, while there is denial that any thought has been given to who will be cast as the next Bond, I absolutely think that a list of potential actors exist. I wonder how it company to the names that many of us have proposed?

Also, I find that the one quality that many of the younger actors lack is a strong voice.
  • MSL49MSL49 Finland
    EON will already have made a preliminary list which we're not privy to. Of course they'll deny it, but they've always done preparatory work on the quiet for when a change might occur. When the times comes, they will certainly screen test 3 or more actors for the role.

As for the type of actor, I suppose it all depends on which direction they decide to go in after Craig. Do they continue onwards in the same timeline with the same key personnel in their roles, or do they completely reboot the franchise with a raft of new faces and go for a complete overhaul? Should NTTD perform badly, then it could push the studio and EON into a big rethink. Couple this with the uncertainty of movie theatres reopening again and business back to normal, and it could well force them to choose actors on a far smaller budget next time round.

What if they have recasted after Spectre?

I think we'd be awaiting the new actor's 2nd or even 3rd outing due in 2021.
  • MSL49MSL49 Finland
    Barbara played safe with Craig like Cubby with Moore.
    Then we're in the realm of The What if thread...

They didn't recast, so there was no need to go to their preliminary list of potential replacements. Barbara Broccoli believed if she gave Craig a long sabbatical, he'd eventually come round to donning the tux again. Maybe one day we'll finally see whether it was worth the long wait.
  • MSL49MSL49 Finland
    I would love to see Craig's screentest.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom

We will see it in that documentary due out, apparently.
    mtm wrote: »

We will see it in that documentary due out, apparently.
    There's a new documentary coming out? I wasn't aware of that. Thanks @mtm.