Who could've done a Bond theme?

Comments

• mtmmtm United Kingdom
    I like Kiwanuka very much - and I think Danger Mouse’s production on his latest album feeds into that slight Bond feel as well though, he’s long had that sort of feel about his work. I’d love him to work on a Bond too.
  • GadgetManGadgetMan Lagos, Nigeria
    mtm wrote: »
    I like Kiwanuka very much - and I think Danger Mouse’s production on his latest album feeds into that slight Bond feel as well though, he’s long had that sort of feel about his work. I’d love him to work on a Bond too.

True. Danger Mouse really did the album justice.
  • SatoriousSatorious Brushing up on a little Danish
    edited November 2020 Posts: 231
    I was convinced back in the day that George's vocals could have knocked a Bond tune out the park. Love the trumpet solo at the end of this track too, feels very Bondian to me...
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Yeah that seems fair; if they could have got him late 90s (rather than the slightly strange choice of Garbage) that would have been a bit of a coup as he was riding very high then.
    Yeah, apart from the trumpet solo which sounds very 60s Bond, the intro also screams BOND!
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    I remember thinking at the time this one had a sort of Bondy vibe to its melody, even if the production is very 90s dancey. Imagine it with a full orchestra behind it:

Indeed @mtm it's very 90s house-sounding with a Bondian twist.
  • DeathToSpies84DeathToSpies84 Haydock, England
    edited November 2020 Posts: 254

Won’t lie - there’s a certain Bond vibe to some of FNM’s lighter stuff.
  • edited November 2020 Posts: 17,272
    GadgetMan wrote: »
    I agree @Torgeirtrap Kiwanuka is a potential Bond theme artist. Maybe him being British has something to do with his style of singing that suits a Bond theme.

Being British doesn't hurt an artist's chances of being picked either! Don't know if Kiwanuka well-known enough though.

Agree, it's not the first time Danger Mouse's production has had that certain "feel" to it. If you haven't heard it before, you should give DM's collaboration with Daniele Luppi, Rome, a listen. It's like a spaghetti western concept album with no accompanying film.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    I adore Rome, it’s wonderful, yes. Anyone who hasn’t heard that definitely should.

He also worked on those cover versions for The Man In The High Castle, didn’t he? Again, not quite Bond in feel but dripping in drama in a retro style, which feels not a massive step away.

Won’t lie - there’s a certain Bond vibe to some of FNM’s lighter stuff.

Awesome track! Love it! @DeathToSpies84 I see what you mean. The Guitars and some slight orchestra sounds.
    Yeah @Torgeirtrap Kiwanuka isn't that mainstream. But I don't think he's far from it, considering his Kiwanuka album won the 2020 Mercury Award Prize.
  • edited November 2020 Posts: 17,272
    I adore Rome, it’s wonderful, yes. Anyone who hasn’t heard that definitely should.

He also worked on those cover versions for The Man In The High Castle, didn’t he? Again, not quite Bond in feel but dripping in drama in a retro style, which feels not a massive step away.

Haven't heard about that before!

Edit: just skimmed through an article about it; sounds interesting! I like this one, with Sharon Van Etten on vocals:

GadgetMan wrote: »
    Yeah @Torgeirtrap Kiwanuka isn't that mainstream. But I don't think he's far from it, considering his Kiwanuka album won the 2020 Mercury Award Prize.

Indeed, he's getting more recognition now than before; he's performed twice on The Graham Norton Show since the release of Kiwanuka, for example. Well deserved, as his music is brilliant.
  • I like Kiwanuka quite a bit and I've heard that Barabara Broccoli is a fan so I wouldn't be surprised to see him land the gig at some point down the road. One who is quite under the radar currently but I think would be a great fit once her star rises is Tannerelle. She's got a great, smooth, sultry tone that would be great for a modern Bond film while bringing a classic feel.

I like Kiwanuka quite a bit and I've heard that Barabara Broccoli is a fan so I wouldn't be surprised to see him land the gig at some point down the road.

Interesting, didn't know that!
    One who is quite under the radar currently but I think would be a great fit once her star rises is Tannerelle. She's got a great, smooth, sultry tone that would be great for a modern Bond film while bringing a classic feel.

Accidentally came across Tanerélle's music a while ago. Not really my kind of music, but it's perfect when working! One to watch for sure, and that first one you posted – Won't – has a nice Bondian feel to it. And as you write, her smooth, sultry voice would be a good fit.
  • suavejmfsuavejmf Harrogate, North Yorkshire, England
    Micheal Buble.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    Satorious wrote: »
    I was convinced back in the day that George's vocals could have knocked a Bond tune out the park. Love the trumpet solo at the end of this track too, feels very Bondian to me...
    I agree 100%; he could have produced a killer theme; I think he could have even made “Writings on the Walk” bearable.
  • Lana Del Rey
  • SeveSeve The island of Lemoy
    edited November 2020 Posts: 357
    I'm from New Zealand and this afternoon I've been listening to our local girl Gin Wigmore, who I think could write and perform a good one. Some of her stuff reminds me a bit of of Amy Winehouse, who was supposed to be working on something for "Quantum Of Solace" prior to her untimely demise.

Go on Youtube and have a listen to her chorus parts on "Willing to Die" (Leave out the rapping and substitute conventional verse and you are pretty much there IMO)
  • M_BaljeM_Balje Amsterdam, Netherlands
    edited November 2020 Posts: 4,438
    Sugestion for Bond 26:

Sound like Sheryl Crow / Tomorrow Never Dies with a bit Rufes Wainwright and again it is time that group doing title song again.

This one is more rock.

This one have a bit of Another Way To Die moments, rocky and dance but also his lighty moments.
    First time I've heard this surprised they didn't use it somewhere in the movie

• ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    renno61 wrote: »
    First time I've heard this surprised they didn't use it somewhere in the movie

Not bad at all, but a different vocalist would improve it.
  • R1s1ngs0nR1s1ngs0n France
    edited December 2020 Posts: 2,013
    With some editing, I think this track could have been a great Bond song. Very fitting title as well.
  • M_BaljeM_Balje Amsterdam, Netherlands
    edited December 2020 Posts: 4,438
    180 in Dutch top 2000 of this year for Nothing But Thieves with Impossible (Orchestral Version - Live at Abbey Road). Very nice start of this song in the list. The 2017 songs ''Amsterdam' stay on 517 and ''Sorry'' on 507.

Adele Skyfall this year moved up from 244 to 230. In 2018 Adele stay on place 184. Highest position of Skyfall is 36th place in 2015 the year Spectre was released. In the 8 years Skyfall exist the song always stay in the list. In 2012 she starts on 136. Writings on the wall was only listed then and in 2017. Sam Smith only have one song in the list year and that is not Writings on the wall but Stay with me.

Duncaun Laurence with Arcade go from 160 to 208.
  • DaltonFanDaltonFan California
    My picks for Bond Theme song singer ? Swing Out Sister, Seal, Lara George (check out the video for the alternative song for Spectre called 00 Inside on YouTube and you'll see why).

Wow!!!!! Slick-sounding guitars....I love it!
  • DeathToSpies84DeathToSpies84 Haydock, England

Mikael Akerfeldt’s death growls might not be to everyone’s taste, but this would of made for an excellent Bond them.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    Bittersweet could do a killer theme; in fact they could score the entire film.