Comments

• edited October 2020 Posts: 727
    Actor-Robert-Pattinson-poses-for-th.jpg
  • edited October 2020 Posts: 727
    Edit
  • suavejmfsuavejmf Harrogate, North Yorkshire, England
    edited October 2020 Posts: 5,131
    Actor-Robert-Pattinson-poses-for-th.jpg

A pale Vampire?? Not Bondian at all IMO.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited October 2020 Posts: 14,934
    talos7 wrote: »
    As I’ve said if Cavill, years ago , based on appearance alone, I was very enthusiastic for him as a potential Bond ; but as the years passed, snd I saw performances by him, my enthusiasm waned. I can always sense him “acting “ ; that pulls me out of just about everything that I’ve seen him in., including his praised performance in MI.

Yeah he's just bang average. If they got him to do it he'd be fine, it wouldn't be a disaster, but he'd not be great. And the other, more interesting, choices have that potential. He's already failed to get it once.
    suavejmf wrote: »

He did once play a vampire, yes, but he's capable of other roles. I think he's got a very 50's look.
  • Casting Cavill would be regressive. Craig has made Bond a very real, layered character. It would be like replacing an actor from The Royal Shakespeare Company with an actor from Hollyoaks. Cavill has no depth as an actor. His performances are all surface level. Craig has changed things.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    edited October 2020 Posts: 16,330
    I'd say Craig has made Bond a very dull, brooding and emotionless character. After 14 going on 15 long years, having a Bond that has emotions and not be the same depressing and bleak character 5 movies in a row would a big breath of fresh air. The only thing Craig has changed was turning Bond into a Jason Bourne clone.
    mtm wrote: »
    talos7 wrote: »
    As I’ve said if Cavill, years ago , based on appearance alone, I was very enthusiastic for him as a potential Bond ; but as the years passed, snd I saw performances by him, my enthusiasm waned. I can always sense him “acting “ ; that pulls me out of just about everything that I’ve seen him in., including his praised performance in MI.

Yeah he's just bang average. If they got him to do it he'd be fine, it wouldn't be a disaster, but he'd not be great. And the other, more interesting, choices have that potential. He's already failed to get it once.

He did once play a vampire, yes, but he's capable of other roles. I think he's got a very 50's look.

I agree with you on Cavill.

But with regards to Pattinson, he still looks like a Vampire in that photo.

I’d take Cavill over Pattinson any day.

There are actors that I really like and will watch anything that they star in, say Cary Grant, Leo Di Caprio, Daniel Craig, Roger Moore, Hugh Grant etc.

But personally, I don’t really like Pattinson. It’s a personal opinion, but I don’t think he’s a Bond, nor an actor I enjoy watching on screen.
  • Personally, I'm very fond of Pattinson as an actor and I think he would have made a great Bond. However, and this independent of the fact that he has been cast as Batman, he is too recognizable as an actor, already too well known, and I don't think the role of Bond should go to already established star.
    It's interesting that so many of you are basing the decision on looks when there are so many other factors. Based on that, DC would never had stood a chance but he's done a great job. It's so much more than looks IMHO.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    edited October 2020 Posts: 5,869
    I don't think the role of Bond should go to already established star.
    While I do think Pattinson would’ve been an interesting choice, although I’m fully of the mind that he’s Batman now and won’t be venturing to any other franchises, I completely agree regarding established stars. It’s why I think actors like Hemsworth, Cavill, Elba, among other reasons, shouldn’t be considered.
  • FatherValentineFatherValentine England
    Casting Cavill would be regressive. Craig has made Bond a very real, layered character. It would be like replacing an actor from The Royal Shakespeare Company with an actor from Hollyoaks. Cavill has no depth as an actor. His performances are all surface level. Craig has changed things.

It's horses for courses though, isn't it? Put someone from the RSC in Hollyoaks and they would be dreadful.

Ever laughed at De Niro in a comedy? He's abysmal when doing a comedy turn. He's actually far funnier when playing it straight in a Scorsese film. But when he is in the genre of comedy it really doesn't suit him.

I don't think Bond needs an RSC type or a method type. It needs someone to play James Bond, that's all. It's not that hard a role to play as long as you can look right. One of the reasons so many names crop up on these boards is because so many fit the basic core mould.

And the plaudits for Craig's acting ability, as well as his performances as Bond, are way, way over the top. He's good, but massively overrated.

Maybe the series needs a few films that are surface level. Because this constant mining for more drama in the Craig films has resulted in leaden, dull, and sometimes excruciating narratives. It all feels very awkward in my opinion.

It has been an infuriating last 12 years being a Bond fan, that's for sure.

• MurdockMurdock The minus world
    Well said @FatherValentine.
  • FatherValentineFatherValentine England
    Murdock wrote: »
    Well said @FatherValentine.

Thanks.

I think Craig would have been better served by letting him cut loose and do a just one straightforward Bond action thriller among his five films, with no personal stuff to deal with.

Anyway, he's certainly not irreplaceable.
  • sandbagger1sandbagger1 Sussex
    patb wrote: »
    It's interesting that so many of you are basing the decision on looks when there are so many other factors. Based on that, DC would never had stood a chance but he's done a great job. It's so much more than looks IMHO.

Looks are a big part, though. The James Bond character doesn't require a great deal of range, but does require an audience to believe that they could occasionally kill professional assassins with their bare hands AND be very attractive to a wide range of women. If you really don't care what the actor looks like, there is a British actor who is young, well regarded, has acted alongside Tom Hardy and Leonardo DiCaprio, and is 6' 3'' - Will Poulter. Good actor, doesn't look like my idea of Bond. That's not to say I would turn him away from an audition, but he's not someone who jumps out at me as being right for the part.
    I didn't say I didn't care but, as DC has shown, there is flexibility in the looks department. Being Bond is as much about the "swagger", lifestyle etc as it is the pure looks. I dont think that the choice should be really narrowed by pure looks. If the look has to be spot on, how many candidates are there?

PS IF DC had not got the role and you saw him today in Tesco, how many people would say "he would make a great James Bond?" and yet, he just IS James Bond.
    patb wrote: »
    I didn't say I didn't care but, as DC has shown, there is flexibility in the looks department. Being Bond is as much about the "swagger", lifestyle etc as it is the pure looks. I dont think that the choice should be really narrowed by pure looks. If the look has to be spot on, how many candidates are there?

PS IF DC had not got the role and you saw him today in Tesco, how many people would say "he would make a great James Bond?" and yet, he just IS James Bond.

Pattinson lacks the swagger, looks and acting prowess IMO.

For example, Cavill is not the best actor, but he does have screen presence, looks and swagger.

But we need an actor with it all.
  • MSL49MSL49 Finland
    How about Jamie Dornan, i think he is a screentest material?
    MSL49 wrote: »

He’s a plank of wood.

Terrible actor.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans

He’s a plank of wood.

Terrible actor.
    He’s also got “crazy eyes” and is more psycho than suave.
  • MSL49 wrote: »
    I think he could have been a serious candidate and hypothetically a convincing Bond, based on his performance in Anthropoid, however he's approaching his forties and, assuming we have maybe five years to wait for Bond 26 to be released, he'd be too old for the part quickly. It's a shame because if the next installation went into production in 2021, it would have been an excellent choice.
    I think he could have been a serious candidate and hypothetically a convincing Bond, based on his performance in Anthropoid, however he's approaching his forties and, assuming we have maybe five years to wait for Bond 26 to be released, he'd be too old for the part quickly. It's a shame because if the next installation went into production in 2021, it would have been an excellent choice.

One good outcome of the delay then IMO.

Cillian Murphy was good in Anthropoid. Dornan was passable IMO. Not bad, simply serviceable.
    Cavill is the only one I'm rooting for to be the next Bond. Everyone else mentioned makes me scratch my head.

ODHN5D0l.jpg

I like Cavill he is in my top 5 along with Hardy Hiddleston Fassbender and either Hemsworth or Murphy depending on what day of the week it is

Like o have said multiple times I am sadly the stereotypical blockbuster American so your British play stars have passed me by and the only time I watch historical dramas take place in the 1960’s and are of my wife’s choosing (she loves the psychedelic era I do too)
  • Please not Cavill. The guy is like a block of wood. Please. I'd be gutted. He'd be worse than Lazenby.
  • MSL49MSL49 Finland
    edited October 2020 Posts: 395
    Cavill is the only one I'm rooting for to be the next Bond. Everyone else mentioned makes me scratch my head.

ODHN5D0l.jpg

You made that? Nice work.
    Risico007 wrote: »

ODHN5D0l.jpg

I like Cavill he is in my top 5 along with Hardy Hiddleston Fassbender and either Hemsworth or Murphy depending on what day of the week it is

Like o have said multiple times I am sadly the stereotypical blockbuster American so your British play stars have passed me by and the only time I watch historical dramas take place in the 1960’s and are of my wife’s choosing (she loves the psychedelic era I do too)

That made me laugh mate!! ‘Blockbuster American!’ Ha ha ha.

Is Brosnan your favourite Bond by any chance?
  • NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada
    Casting Cavill would be regressive. Craig has made Bond a very real, layered character. It would be like replacing an actor from The Royal Shakespeare Company with an actor from Hollyoaks. Cavill has no depth as an actor. His performances are all surface level. Craig has changed things.

It's horses for courses though, isn't it? Put someone from the RSC in Hollyoaks and they would be dreadful.

Ever laughed at De Niro in a comedy? He's abysmal when doing a comedy turn. He's actually far funnier when playing it straight in a Scorsese film. But when he is in the genre of comedy it really doesn't suit him.

I don't think Bond needs an RSC type or a method type. It needs someone to play James Bond, that's all. It's not that hard a role to play as long as you can look right. One of the reasons so many names crop up on these boards is because so many fit the basic core mould.

And the plaudits for Craig's acting ability, as well as his performances as Bond, are way, way over the top. He's good, but massively overrated.

Maybe the series needs a few films that are surface level. Because this constant mining for more drama in the Craig films has resulted in leaden, dull, and sometimes excruciating narratives. It all feels very awkward in my opinion.

It has been an infuriating last 12 years being a Bond fan, that's for sure.

+1 on this, although seems like I like Craig more than you do, which is fine. ;) This is why I believe we don't know the name of the guy who'll replace Craig, for this reason and also the amount of time I believe there will be between B25 and B26. They won't have to be the next Brando.
  • MSL49MSL49 Finland
    Why Dalton didn't made that 3rd movie, what was the main reason?
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill

Too much time elapsed due to legal wranglings.
  • MSL49MSL49 Finland
    edited October 2020 Posts: 395

Too much time elapsed due to legal wranglings.

I think 3 movie deal is minimum for new Bond actor.
  • MSL49 wrote: »
    I think 3 movie deal is minimum for new Bond actor.

He actually signed for a three movie deal, but limited in time and ultimately expired when Goldeneye was about to go into production.