Who should/could be a Bond actor?

Comments

• NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada
    Denbigh wrote: »
    Honestly, maybe he could've been good, but given his age now, I'd say he's certainly out of the case.

I also personally feel like the overexposure of the guy would make the films akin to what the Mission Impossible franchise is with Tom Cruise, just watching Idris Elba do the things that James Bond would do, as opposed to watching James Bond do those things. I'd also say the same about many actors who are overexposed at this point.

Totally agree.
    mtm wrote: »
    Ludovico wrote: »
    Amy Pascal is not exactly known to have very good ideas or to back up good ideas.

It doesn't really matter if she's the one in charge! :)
    Elba looks too brutish.

Nope. He can certainly look tough when he needs to, which is rather what Bond is. I'd take tough over fey in a Hiddleston kind of way any day of the week.
    Colin Salmon I haven't seen him in a role in years, but he looks better imo and in his heyday had at least as much charisma.

Not really, no. I'd say there's a reason one is a movie star and one wasn't.

How much of a movie star is Elba really? His biggest/greatest role was in a TV show and while he was stellar as Stringer Bell, it was a while ago.

As for Amy Pascal, she was never in charge of casting Bond. Thankfully. And didn't she leave Sony in disgrace?
  • edited October 17 Posts: 4,240
    Honestly, maybe he could've been good, but given his age now, I'd say he's certainly out of the case.

I also personally feel like the overexposure of the guy would make the films akin to what the Mission Impossible franchise is with Tom Cruise, just watching Idris Elba do the things that James Bond would do, as opposed to watching James Bond do those things. I'd also say the same about many actors who are overexposed at this point.

Not sure how fair this statement is as it's so dependent on the actor. If Craig had made 2-3 films each year, then he'd risk being overexposed. It just happens that he does 1 film every 2 years or so (if that). Basically, you only really see him play Bond these days. The last film he was the leading man - aside from a Bond film - was in 2011 (I'm excluding Knives Out as he was only the nominal lead, as that film was clearly an ensemble piece)!

Now, if you're saying that Bond can't be played by a high-profile actor who has their own 'reputation', than that's a different story. In which case, I'd say that Tom Hardy who is very well-known would fit that bill. For those reasons, if he played Bond you would just be watching Hardy aping the Bond style. In which case, I wholly agree with you @Denbigh

I'm still praying that WB give in to fan pressure and give the greenlight to Ben Affleck doing his own Batman film. Then Pattinson's film becomes an afterthought and R-Ratz can become the next 007. That could happen....Wasn't that a quote that Barbara Broccoli liked Pattinson for the role? Considering Pattinson looks destined to be a one-time Batman, I'd say he's not 100% out of the running. Plus, people are crazy for Henry Cavill as 007 and he's already Superman...

WelllitGlamorousAmericankestrel-size_restricted.gif

Also, interestingly when they were casting Batman in 2018. Jack O'Connell was on that shortlist. He's one of the most fearless and committed actors out there. He is growing into his features perfectly and looks more rugged than ever. However, (whilst I supported him vehemently as a future 007 years ago) people on this forum have talked me out of my support due to his height. He is little.....But has the look.

2b7025f6e3531eabcbe1f94bc13b23c2d1b45181.gifv

2d5db519a4ef4303d5697e1b92cb40a9cc8b851b.gifv

f31a358f8811955076fec93375e76362d627a61c.gifv

It's interesting because about 3 years ago, I wanted O'Connell to play 007 more than anything. R-Patz was not even on my radar and I would imagine he'd be someone I'd actively speak out against. Now, I want R-Patz more than anything and I'm ambivalent on O'Connell.

So......this is a short way of saying that this race is far from over. People we favour today will quickly loose heat and those we wouldn't even imagine in our worst nightmares may become our favourites.

In response to this post, they'll be a flurry of people arguing over Aidan Turner. Someone will mention Callum Turner and I'll probably turn up with another curveball like Timothee Chalamet. This whole thing has become so circular.....So I'm gonna just enjoy the time we have left with Daniel Craig in the role and log off this thread! I'll return when the real rumours begin.

Hagrid-Says-Good-Bye-To-Harry-Potter-Animated-Gif-Image.gif
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    edited October 17 Posts: 3,982

Now, if you're saying that Bond can't be played by a high-profile actor who has their own 'reputation', than that's a different story. In which case, I'd say that Tom Hardy who is very well-known would fit that bill. For those reasons, if he played Bond you would just be watching Hardy aping the Bond style. In which case, I wholly agree with you @Denbigh
    Yeah, that's exactly what I'm saying. Going back to my MI comparison, those films are just Tom Cruise doing some action sequences, and I wouldn't want James Bond to fall into something similar.
    I'm still praying that WB give in to fan pressure and give the greenlight to Ben Affleck doing his own Batman film. Then Pattinson's film becomes an afterthought and R-Ratz can become the next 007. That could happen....Wasn't that a quote that Barbara Broccoli liked Pattinson for the role? Considering Pattinson looks destined to be a one-time Batman, I'd say he's not 100% out of the running. Plus, people are crazy for Henry Cavill as 007 and he's already Superman...
    As for Pattinson, and I know you've probably seen my comments on this already, before he was cast as Bruce Wayne/Batman, and in another world in which he wasn't, I would fully be behind this and would give good money to see him play the 00 agent...

...but considering the plans for a trilogy, the fact that WB isn't going to invest in any plans to turn The Batman into an afterthought, and that this Batman film inparticular is shaping into something I've wanted from that franchise in particular for a long time, while managing to cast Pattinson and Kravitz in leading roles, I'd say it's not going to happen, and that those chances are beyond our grasp @Pierce2Daniel.
    Also, interestingly when they were casting Batman in 2018. Jack O'Connell was on that shortlist. He's one of the most fearless and committed actors out there. He is growing into his features perfectly and looks more rugged than ever. However, (whilst I supported him vehemently as a future 007 years ago) people on this forum have talked me out of my support due to his height. He is little.....But has the look.
    As for Jack O' Connell, I'm fully behind this decision. He's a great actor, and while I agree that if he isn't considered, it's probably his height that'll get in the way, if he does end up getting it, then I'd be over the moon.
    Someone will mention Callum Turner...
    ...and that someone will almost certainly be me :D
    I'm actually quite surprised you're not more onboard with him @Pierce2Daniel, as to me, he's the next best thing, now that Pattinson is almost certainly out of the running. Not to mention, I can't give you any reason why he wouldn't be considered.
  • MSL49MSL49 Finland
    How tall Jack O'Connell is?
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    MSL49 wrote: »
    5′ 8″

Looks like he's 5'8".

I think he looks a bit more rugged than some of the other guys mentioned here. If B26 does in fact take a decade or so to get underway he might be alright.

Still he's only 5'8".
    ToTheRight wrote: »

Looks like he's 5'8".

I think he looks a bit more rugged than some of the other guys mentioned here. If B26 does in fact take a decade or so to get underway he might be alright.

Still he's only 5'8".

I really think this is the most realistic outlook.
  • MSL49MSL49 Finland
    edited October 17 Posts: 271
    5′ 8″

I think out there is taller actor's.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited October 17 Posts: 4,869

Indeed yes, we're just talking about him in a sort of 'could have been' rather than 'should be'.

It's an interesting point, and I'm sure that's part of why they like to get actors on the way up rather than actual fully fledged stars, yes. Also I'm sure they're cheaper that way! :D
    Amy Pascal is not exactly known to have very good ideas or to back up good ideas.

It doesn't really matter if she's the one in charge! :)
    Elba looks too brutish.

Nope. He can certainly look tough when he needs to, which is rather what Bond is. I'd take tough over fey in a Hiddleston kind of way any day of the week.
    Colin Salmon I haven't seen him in a role in years, but he looks better imo and in his heyday had at least as much charisma.

Not really, no. I'd say there's a reason one is a movie star and one wasn't.

How much of a movie star is Elba really? His biggest/greatest role was in a TV show and while he was stellar as Stringer Bell, it was a while ago.

Well he's starred in movies. He's not The Rock, no, but he's been in a film with him :)

Yeah, that's exactly what I'm saying. Going back to my MI comparison, those films are just Tom Cruise doing some action sequences, and I wouldn't want James Bond to fall into something similar.

Ooh no they're much better than that. If Spectre had been half as satisfying as Rogue Nation or as tense and exciting and viceral as Fallout I'd have been a very happy Bond fan. Right now Mi is wearing the crown, it's up to NTTD to bring it home.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    It's an interesting point, and I'm sure that's part of why they like to get actors on the way up rather than actual fully-fledged stars, yes. Also, I'm sure they're cheaper that way! :D
    Exactly, and also yes definitely cheaper, probably also cause they know in hindsight how much the actor will probably end up asking for by the end of their run haha :D
  • ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
  • suavejmfsuavejmf Harrogate, North Yorkshire, England
    Shardlake wrote: »

Seen this, it’s brilliant!!!
  • MSL49MSL49 Finland
    edited October 18 Posts: 271
    Producer's make's the decision's but what is casting director's role in this?
    Okay...I know I said I wasn't going to comment here yesterday. But...I'm back! (I promise this'll be the last you hear from me in a while...)

I'm only writing as I watched Beach Rats last night on Netflix (it's available in the UK). This is a terrific film - especially for those who like more esoteric, elliptical and provocative indie cinema. It has gorgeous cinematography and a brilliant naturalistic style.

The big take home from it, is that Harris Dickinson is a star. He gives a cool, distant but sympathetic and engrossing performance. It's one of those films where the lead is never judged by the director. So the character can feel remote and unknowing at times. But Dickinson still makes him feel real and relatable.....

If you don't believe me, then see Mark Kermode's response to Harris Dickinson below:

He's 24 and bound for great things. He reminded me of a cross between Timothee Chalamet and Robert Pattinson (if I'm being reductive). I think the Kingsman is going to change a lot for him.

The-Kings-Man.jpg
  • MSL49MSL49 Finland
    I think he could be good Bond 8.
    Okay...I know I said I wasn't going to comment here yesterday. But...I'm back! (I promise this'll be the last you hear from me in a while...)

I'm only writing as I watched Beach Rats last night on Netflix (it's available in the UK). This is a terrific film - especially for those who like more esoteric, elliptical and provocative indie cinema. It has gorgeous cinematography and a brilliant naturalistic style.

The big take home from it, is that Harris Dickinson is a star. He gives a cool, distant but sympathetic and engrossing performance. It's one of those films where the lead is never judged by the director. So the character can feel remote and unknowing at times. But Dickinson still makes him feel real and relatable.....

If you don't believe me, then see Mark Kermode's response to Harris Dickinson below:

He's 24 and bound for great things. He reminded me of a cross between Timothee Chalamet and Robert Pattinson (if I'm being reductive). I think the Kingsman is going to change a lot for him.

The-Kings-Man.jpg

Kermode hates almost everything, so it's always interesting when he approves of something or someone. (For SP haters he must not be a reference since he loved the film.) Harry Dickinson must have done something right. I find him a bit young a youthful looking now, but by the time Bond 26 gets greenlit he might have the perfect age and hopefully a mature look. Still skeptical, but open minded.
  • MSL49MSL49 Finland
    Ewan Mcgregor.
  • edited October 19 Posts: 7,958
    Ewan Mcgregor.

if Craig had only done 3 I could see Ewan pop in for a duology but as of now nope not going to happen shame I liked him a lot before Daniel Craig was announced

Actually he still looks good but likely he only has 1 or 2 films in him but still I like him more then half the people that have been thrown out
  • MSL49MSL49 Finland
    Risico007 wrote: »
    Ewan Mcgregor.

if Craig had only done 3 I could see Ewan pop in for a duology but as of now nope not going to happen shame I liked him a lot before Daniel Craig was announced

Actually he still looks good but likely he only has 1 or 2 films in him but still I like him more then half the people that have been thrown out

Was he in the running last time around?
    Risico007 wrote: »
    Ewan Mcgregor.

Was he in the running last time around?

I would have to imagine he was far too famous after having played Obi-Wan.
    Hayden Christiansen as Bond.

Blofeld: What do you think of my Moroccan lair?

Bond: I hate sand. It's course and gets everywhere.

Ha ha ha.

A Canadian plank of wood.
  • It seems like being the leading guy from Kingsman would kill Dickinson's chances, no? Anyways, I could see him being a great candidate in maybe 8 years if it wasn't for that.
  • ImpertinentGoonImpertinentGoon Wattenscheid
    It seems like being the leading guy from Kingsman would kill Dickinson's chances, no? Anyways, I could see him being a great candidate in maybe 8 years if it wasn't for that.

I've been thinking the same thing. On the other hand, The King's Man looks - from the few things I've seen of it - to be less of a satire than the previous two films, plus it's set in the 1910s I believe, so the similarities to Bond should be minimal. But with Matthew Vaughn, you never know.
    Producer's make's the decision's but what is casting director's role in this?

A casting director will draw Eon's attention to actors they may not be aware of or have considered, so, although Eon, the director, and the Studio will make the final decision, they heavily rely on the casting director to dig deep and find those actors who might be off their radar. Beyond that, the casting director guides the casting of all the featured roles in the script.

It seems like being the leading guy from Kingsman would kill Dickinson's chances, no? Anyways, I could see him being a great candidate in maybe 8 years if it wasn't for that.

I've been thinking the same thing. On the other hand, The King's Man looks - from the few things I've seen of it - to be less of a satire than the previous two films, plus it's set in the 1910s I believe, so the similarities to Bond should be minimal. But with Matthew Vaughn, you never know.

After seeing Layer Cake I wanted Matthew Vaughn to direct a Bond film. Then I watched Kingsmen 1 & 2 and quickly changed my mind.
  • MSL49MSL49 Finland
    How about Eddie Redmayne?
    How about Eddie Redmayne?

Guy can do it all. But even then, I think not.