Who should/could be a Bond actor?

Comments

• DenbighDenbigh UK
    mtm wrote: »
    Denbigh wrote: »
    I also personally feel like the overexposure of the guy would make the films akin to what the Mission Impossible franchise is with Tom Cruise, just watching Idris Elba do the things that James Bond would do, as opposed to watching James Bond do those things. I'd also say the same about many actors who are overexposed at this point.
    It's an interesting point, and I'm sure that's part of why they like to get actors on the way up rather than actual fully-fledged stars, yes. Also, I'm sure they're cheaper that way! :D
    Exactly, and also yes definitely cheaper, probably also cause they know in hindsight how much the actor will probably end up asking for by the end of their run haha :D
  • ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
  • suavejmfsuavejmf Harrogate, North Yorkshire, England
    Shardlake wrote: »

Seen this, it’s brilliant!!!
  • MSL49MSL49 Finland
    edited October 2020 Posts: 395
    Producer's make's the decision's but what is casting director's role in this?
  • Okay...I know I said I wasn't going to comment here yesterday. But...I'm back! (I promise this'll be the last you hear from me in a while...)

I'm only writing as I watched Beach Rats last night on Netflix (it's available in the UK). This is a terrific film - especially for those who like more esoteric, elliptical and provocative indie cinema. It has gorgeous cinematography and a brilliant naturalistic style.

The big take home from it, is that Harris Dickinson is a star. He gives a cool, distant but sympathetic and engrossing performance. It's one of those films where the lead is never judged by the director. So the character can feel remote and unknowing at times. But Dickinson still makes him feel real and relatable.....

If you don't believe me, then see Mark Kermode's response to Harris Dickinson below:

He's 24 and bound for great things. He reminded me of a cross between Timothee Chalamet and Robert Pattinson (if I'm being reductive). I think the Kingsman is going to change a lot for him.

The-Kings-Man.jpg
  • MSL49MSL49 Finland
    I think he could be good Bond 8.
    Okay...I know I said I wasn't going to comment here yesterday. But...I'm back! (I promise this'll be the last you hear from me in a while...)

I'm only writing as I watched Beach Rats last night on Netflix (it's available in the UK). This is a terrific film - especially for those who like more esoteric, elliptical and provocative indie cinema. It has gorgeous cinematography and a brilliant naturalistic style.

The big take home from it, is that Harris Dickinson is a star. He gives a cool, distant but sympathetic and engrossing performance. It's one of those films where the lead is never judged by the director. So the character can feel remote and unknowing at times. But Dickinson still makes him feel real and relatable.....

If you don't believe me, then see Mark Kermode's response to Harris Dickinson below:

He's 24 and bound for great things. He reminded me of a cross between Timothee Chalamet and Robert Pattinson (if I'm being reductive). I think the Kingsman is going to change a lot for him.

The-Kings-Man.jpg

Kermode hates almost everything, so it's always interesting when he approves of something or someone. (For SP haters he must not be a reference since he loved the film.) Harry Dickinson must have done something right. I find him a bit young a youthful looking now, but by the time Bond 26 gets greenlit he might have the perfect age and hopefully a mature look. Still skeptical, but open minded.
  • MSL49MSL49 Finland
    Ewan Mcgregor.
  • edited October 2020 Posts: 9,730
    MSL49 wrote: »
    Ewan Mcgregor.

if Craig had only done 3 I could see Ewan pop in for a duology but as of now nope not going to happen shame I liked him a lot before Daniel Craig was announced

Actually he still looks good but likely he only has 1 or 2 films in him but still I like him more then half the people that have been thrown out
  • MSL49MSL49 Finland
    Risico007 wrote: »
    Ewan Mcgregor.

if Craig had only done 3 I could see Ewan pop in for a duology but as of now nope not going to happen shame I liked him a lot before Daniel Craig was announced

Actually he still looks good but likely he only has 1 or 2 films in him but still I like him more then half the people that have been thrown out

Was he in the running last time around?
  • NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada
    Ewan Mcgregor.

Was he in the running last time around?

I would have to imagine he was far too famous after having played Obi-Wan.
    Hayden Christiansen as Bond.
  • NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada

Blofeld: What do you think of my Moroccan lair?

Bond: I hate sand. It's course and gets everywhere.

Ha ha ha.

A Canadian plank of wood.
  • It seems like being the leading guy from Kingsman would kill Dickinson's chances, no? Anyways, I could see him being a great candidate in maybe 8 years if it wasn't for that.
  • ImpertinentGoonImpertinentGoon Everybody needs a hobby.
    It seems like being the leading guy from Kingsman would kill Dickinson's chances, no? Anyways, I could see him being a great candidate in maybe 8 years if it wasn't for that.

I've been thinking the same thing. On the other hand, The King's Man looks - from the few things I've seen of it - to be less of a satire than the previous two films, plus it's set in the 1910s I believe, so the similarities to Bond should be minimal. But with Matthew Vaughn, you never know.
    Producer's make's the decision's but what is casting director's role in this?

A casting director will draw Eon's attention to actors they may not be aware of or have considered, so, although Eon, the director, and the Studio will make the final decision, they heavily rely on the casting director to dig deep and find those actors who might be off their radar. Beyond that, the casting director guides the casting of all the featured roles in the script.

It seems like being the leading guy from Kingsman would kill Dickinson's chances, no? Anyways, I could see him being a great candidate in maybe 8 years if it wasn't for that.

I've been thinking the same thing. On the other hand, The King's Man looks - from the few things I've seen of it - to be less of a satire than the previous two films, plus it's set in the 1910s I believe, so the similarities to Bond should be minimal. But with Matthew Vaughn, you never know.

After seeing Layer Cake I wanted Matthew Vaughn to direct a Bond film. Then I watched Kingsmen 1 & 2 and quickly changed my mind.
  • MSL49MSL49 Finland
    How about Eddie Redmayne?

Guy can do it all. But even then, I think not.

Geeky looking. Not Bondian. IMO.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom

Well he's got the watch at least

E3-E0-DB30-612-E-4056-B7-E2-DF57-F6638682.jpg

(I actually think it's a bit weird to pose with a watch associated with another movie actor!)
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    There's only one Fantastic Beasts cast member I see as James Bond ;)
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    Denbigh wrote: »
    There's only one Fantastic Beasts cast member I see as James Bond ;)

I must have missed him. 😏

Univex wrote: »

I prefer him over Idris Elba
  • edited October 2020 Posts: 6,665

Me too. And I think he could pull it off. He mustn't be underestimated. The guy is a chameleon and has screen presence to boot. I that pic above was him as James Bond, I'd believe it.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom

I haven't seen a tough side to him. Or sexy at that. If it was just the two of them I'd go for Elba, even now when he's a bit too old.
    Redmayne would be a better Dr Who, although we've seen him do that and he just ripped off Matt Smith! :)
  • sandbagger1sandbagger1 Sussex
    He's a very good actor, but he doesn't look like my idea of Bond, and I've never seen him in a role that shows him as tough or physical. He is taller than I imagined though, and it is interesting that he apparently was in the final round of actors for the Star Lord role in Guardians of the Galaxy - he and Chris Pratt are so different.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    I didn't know that either; I guess I don't know what Star Lord the character is like and I only know Pratt's version, but it's hard to see how that would have worked, yeah.
  • MSL49MSL49 Finland
    I think "good actor" and "has a screen precense" doesn't sound bad for James Bond actor.