Who should/could be a Bond actor?

1727728730732733767

Comments

  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Posts: 4,869
    mtm wrote: »
    mtm wrote: »
    Univex wrote: »
    talos7 wrote: »
    “He doesn’t need to be a white man. Not as far as I’m concerned.”

    “We should create roles for women, not just turn a man into a woman.”


    If we can create separate roles for women then we should also create separate roles for people with different ethnicity. Her words sounds a bit diplomatic to me, if he doesn't need to be a white man then the character doesn't need to be a man as well by that logic, but i still want a white, British 6ft tall male to be bond.

    Absolutely diplomatic...

    Cope. Bond will be Bame.

    I thought we debunked the Tom Hardy rumour...

    tenor.gif?itemid=5645388

    Oh...baMe :D

    Sure. Just don't call it Ian Fleming's James Bond, and I'll be fine with that.

    Look, it's James Bond:

    henry-golding-james-bond-2172164.jpg?r=1574151553406

    DOjkxgVXkAAM_zQ.jpg

    Why? Because they're men, and they're wearing dinner jackets. And they're actors. That's why.

    Just don't call it Ian Fleming's James Bond. And I'l be fine with it. Or not. I really don't have to cope. I really don't have to watch it. I stopped watching Dr. Who (mind you, not because of Jodie, but because of the poor production and writer). But I'm still a fan. And I'll be a James Bond fan. I just won't watch the new films. That's all.

    Same here. As I like to say - go woke, go broke.

    Still - Tom Hardy or bust. Not some BAME flavour of the week actor that the progressives wet themselves over.

    It's fine for me either way: the quality of the actor is the important thing for me (as long as he hits the certain qualities I find important in Bond). I'm not wetting myself, nor am I throwing my toys out of my pram, unlike the non-progressives ;)

    I’ll simply boycott. Besides, I’ll have saved up enough money for better endeavours anyway :D And we’ll still have the Connery to Craig era if the franchise goes woke.

    And the rest of us will have more. But yeah, it's fine, you'll be happy and better off than all of those people who started craignotbond.com because they couldn't accept a blond Bond, so I guess that's a bit closer to a victory.
    But in the fairness of equality - lets reboot X-Men and pick a white woman to play Storm ;)

    If you want, I don't care about X Men, the films are routinely terrible now. Seems a bit weird to specify that, but okay.
    But I do think you've misunderstood what the term 'equality' means right now. It's a bit like how the phrase 'All Lives Matter' doesn't actually mean what the words say.

    I was joking.... :-SS

    I've heard that one before somewhere... something to do with disinfectant.. ;)
  • DeathToSpies84DeathToSpies84 Haydock, England
    Posts: 127
    Univex wrote: »
    mtm wrote: »
    Univex wrote: »
    talos7 wrote: »
    “He doesn’t need to be a white man. Not as far as I’m concerned.”

    “We should create roles for women, not just turn a man into a woman.”


    If we can create separate roles for women then we should also create separate roles for people with different ethnicity. Her words sounds a bit diplomatic to me, if he doesn't need to be a white man then the character doesn't need to be a man as well by that logic, but i still want a white, British 6ft tall male to be bond.

    Absolutely diplomatic...

    Cope. Bond will be Bame.

    I thought we debunked the Tom Hardy rumour...

    tenor.gif?itemid=5645388

    Oh...baMe :D

    Sure. Just don't call it Ian Fleming's James Bond, and I'll be fine with that.

    Look, it's James Bond:

    henry-golding-james-bond-2172164.jpg?r=1574151553406

    DOjkxgVXkAAM_zQ.jpg

    Why? Because they're men, and they're wearing dinner jackets. And they're actors. That's why.

    Just don't call it Ian Fleming's James Bond. And I'l be fine with it. Or not. I really don't have to cope. I really don't have to watch it. I stopped watching Dr. Who (mind you, not because of Jodie, but because of the poor production and writer). But I'm still a fan. And I'll be a James Bond fan. I just won't watch the new films. That's all.

    Same here. As I like to say - go woke, go broke.

    Still - Tom Hardy or bust. Not some BAME flavour of the week actor that the progressives wet themselves over.

    It's fine for me either way: the quality of the actor is the important thing for me (as long as he hits the certain qualities I find important in Bond). I'm not wetting myself, nor am I throwing my toys out of my pram, unlike the non-progressives ;)

    I’ll simply boycott. Besides, I’ll have saved up enough money for better endeavours anyway :D And we’ll still have the Connery to Craig era if the franchise goes woke.

    But in the fairness of equality - lets reboot X-Men and pick a white woman to play Storm ;)

    Ryan Reynolds as Shaft, Henry Golding as Black Panther, Daniel Day Kim as Batman, Forest Whitaker as Poirot, ...

    ;)

    Great - I’ve opened a Pandora’s box.... :))
  • edited October 15 Posts: 5,198
    Univex wrote: »
    mtm wrote: »
    Univex wrote: »
    talos7 wrote: »
    “He doesn’t need to be a white man. Not as far as I’m concerned.”

    “We should create roles for women, not just turn a man into a woman.”


    If we can create separate roles for women then we should also create separate roles for people with different ethnicity. Her words sounds a bit diplomatic to me, if he doesn't need to be a white man then the character doesn't need to be a man as well by that logic, but i still want a white, British 6ft tall male to be bond.

    Absolutely diplomatic...

    Cope. Bond will be Bame.

    I thought we debunked the Tom Hardy rumour...

    tenor.gif?itemid=5645388

    Oh...baMe :D

    Sure. Just don't call it Ian Fleming's James Bond, and I'll be fine with that.

    Look, it's James Bond:

    henry-golding-james-bond-2172164.jpg?r=1574151553406

    DOjkxgVXkAAM_zQ.jpg

    Why? Because they're men, and they're wearing dinner jackets. And they're actors. That's why.

    Just don't call it Ian Fleming's James Bond. And I'l be fine with it. Or not. I really don't have to cope. I really don't have to watch it. I stopped watching Dr. Who (mind you, not because of Jodie, but because of the poor production and writer). But I'm still a fan. And I'll be a James Bond fan. I just won't watch the new films. That's all.

    Same here. As I like to say - go woke, go broke.

    Still - Tom Hardy or bust. Not some BAME flavour of the week actor that the progressives wet themselves over.

    It's fine for me either way: the quality of the actor is the important thing for me (as long as he hits the certain qualities I find important in Bond). I'm not wetting myself, nor am I throwing my toys out of my pram, unlike the non-progressives ;)

    I’ll simply boycott. Besides, I’ll have saved up enough money for better endeavours anyway :D And we’ll still have the Connery to Craig era if the franchise goes woke.

    But in the fairness of equality - lets reboot X-Men and pick a white woman to play Storm ;)

    Ryan Reynolds as Shaft, Henry Golding as Black Panther, Daniel Day Kim as Batman, Forest Whitaker as Poirot, ...

    ;)

    Great - I’ve opened a Pandora’s box.... :))

    Oh, it's been cracked opened for a while ;) But we won't win the argument, so we might as well have some fun, right? :D

    One thing is for certain, this thread will have loads of more new pages, hundreds, until we know who the hell will play Bond next.

    PS: Cool to know us Dalton fans think alike ;)
  • DeathToSpies84DeathToSpies84 Haydock, England
    Posts: 127
    Univex wrote: »
    Univex wrote: »
    mtm wrote: »
    Univex wrote: »
    talos7 wrote: »
    “He doesn’t need to be a white man. Not as far as I’m concerned.”

    “We should create roles for women, not just turn a man into a woman.”


    If we can create separate roles for women then we should also create separate roles for people with different ethnicity. Her words sounds a bit diplomatic to me, if he doesn't need to be a white man then the character doesn't need to be a man as well by that logic, but i still want a white, British 6ft tall male to be bond.

    Absolutely diplomatic...

    Cope. Bond will be Bame.

    I thought we debunked the Tom Hardy rumour...

    tenor.gif?itemid=5645388

    Oh...baMe :D

    Sure. Just don't call it Ian Fleming's James Bond, and I'll be fine with that.

    Look, it's James Bond:

    henry-golding-james-bond-2172164.jpg?r=1574151553406

    DOjkxgVXkAAM_zQ.jpg

    Why? Because they're men, and they're wearing dinner jackets. And they're actors. That's why.

    Just don't call it Ian Fleming's James Bond. And I'l be fine with it. Or not. I really don't have to cope. I really don't have to watch it. I stopped watching Dr. Who (mind you, not because of Jodie, but because of the poor production and writer). But I'm still a fan. And I'll be a James Bond fan. I just won't watch the new films. That's all.

    Same here. As I like to say - go woke, go broke.

    Still - Tom Hardy or bust. Not some BAME flavour of the week actor that the progressives wet themselves over.

    It's fine for me either way: the quality of the actor is the important thing for me (as long as he hits the certain qualities I find important in Bond). I'm not wetting myself, nor am I throwing my toys out of my pram, unlike the non-progressives ;)

    I’ll simply boycott. Besides, I’ll have saved up enough money for better endeavours anyway :D And we’ll still have the Connery to Craig era if the franchise goes woke.

    But in the fairness of equality - lets reboot X-Men and pick a white woman to play Storm ;)

    Ryan Reynolds as Shaft, Henry Golding as Black Panther, Daniel Day Kim as Batman, Forest Whitaker as Poirot, ...

    ;)

    Great - I’ve opened a Pandora’s box.... :))

    Oh, it's been cracked opened for a while ;) But we won't win the argument, so we might as well have some fun, right? :D

    One thing is for certain, this thread will have loads of more new pages, hundreds, until we know who the hell will play Bond next.

    PS: Cool to know us Dalton fans think alike ;)

    Babs said they want the dust to clear after NTTD gets released before they even consider a replacement for Craig :) Us Dalton fans are a rare breed.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited October 15 Posts: 4,869
    Univex wrote: »
    mtm wrote: »
    Univex wrote: »
    talos7 wrote: »
    “He doesn’t need to be a white man. Not as far as I’m concerned.”

    “We should create roles for women, not just turn a man into a woman.”


    If we can create separate roles for women then we should also create separate roles for people with different ethnicity. Her words sounds a bit diplomatic to me, if he doesn't need to be a white man then the character doesn't need to be a man as well by that logic, but i still want a white, British 6ft tall male to be bond.

    Absolutely diplomatic...

    Cope. Bond will be Bame.

    I thought we debunked the Tom Hardy rumour...

    tenor.gif?itemid=5645388

    Oh...baMe :D

    Sure. Just don't call it Ian Fleming's James Bond, and I'll be fine with that.

    Look, it's James Bond:

    henry-golding-james-bond-2172164.jpg?r=1574151553406

    DOjkxgVXkAAM_zQ.jpg

    Why? Because they're men, and they're wearing dinner jackets. And they're actors. That's why.

    Just don't call it Ian Fleming's James Bond. And I'l be fine with it. Or not. I really don't have to cope. I really don't have to watch it. I stopped watching Dr. Who (mind you, not because of Jodie, but because of the poor production and writer). But I'm still a fan. And I'll be a James Bond fan. I just won't watch the new films. That's all.

    Same here. As I like to say - go woke, go broke.

    Still - Tom Hardy or bust. Not some BAME flavour of the week actor that the progressives wet themselves over.

    It's fine for me either way: the quality of the actor is the important thing for me (as long as he hits the certain qualities I find important in Bond). I'm not wetting myself, nor am I throwing my toys out of my pram, unlike the non-progressives ;)

    I’ll simply boycott. Besides, I’ll have saved up enough money for better endeavours anyway :D And we’ll still have the Connery to Craig era if the franchise goes woke.

    But in the fairness of equality - lets reboot X-Men and pick a white woman to play Storm ;)

    Ryan Reynolds as Shaft, Henry Golding as Black Panther, Daniel Day Kim as Batman, Forest Whitaker as Poirot, ...

    ;)

    Great - I’ve opened a Pandora’s box.... :))

    The thing to notice the difference between the roles listed: the point of the two black ones is that they're black. One of them even has it in his name. Batman or Poirot could be black and nothing would change, because they weren't created with their race being a primary driver. Have a think on it.

    Univex wrote: »
    Univex wrote: »
    mtm wrote: »
    Univex wrote: »
    talos7 wrote: »
    “He doesn’t need to be a white man. Not as far as I’m concerned.”

    “We should create roles for women, not just turn a man into a woman.”


    If we can create separate roles for women then we should also create separate roles for people with different ethnicity. Her words sounds a bit diplomatic to me, if he doesn't need to be a white man then the character doesn't need to be a man as well by that logic, but i still want a white, British 6ft tall male to be bond.

    Absolutely diplomatic...

    Cope. Bond will be Bame.

    I thought we debunked the Tom Hardy rumour...

    tenor.gif?itemid=5645388

    Oh...baMe :D

    Sure. Just don't call it Ian Fleming's James Bond, and I'll be fine with that.

    Look, it's James Bond:

    henry-golding-james-bond-2172164.jpg?r=1574151553406

    DOjkxgVXkAAM_zQ.jpg

    Why? Because they're men, and they're wearing dinner jackets. And they're actors. That's why.

    Just don't call it Ian Fleming's James Bond. And I'l be fine with it. Or not. I really don't have to cope. I really don't have to watch it. I stopped watching Dr. Who (mind you, not because of Jodie, but because of the poor production and writer). But I'm still a fan. And I'll be a James Bond fan. I just won't watch the new films. That's all.

    Same here. As I like to say - go woke, go broke.

    Still - Tom Hardy or bust. Not some BAME flavour of the week actor that the progressives wet themselves over.

    It's fine for me either way: the quality of the actor is the important thing for me (as long as he hits the certain qualities I find important in Bond). I'm not wetting myself, nor am I throwing my toys out of my pram, unlike the non-progressives ;)

    I’ll simply boycott. Besides, I’ll have saved up enough money for better endeavours anyway :D And we’ll still have the Connery to Craig era if the franchise goes woke.

    But in the fairness of equality - lets reboot X-Men and pick a white woman to play Storm ;)

    Ryan Reynolds as Shaft, Henry Golding as Black Panther, Daniel Day Kim as Batman, Forest Whitaker as Poirot, ...

    ;)

    Great - I’ve opened a Pandora’s box.... :))

    Oh, it's been cracked opened for a while ;) But we won't win the argument, so we might as well have some fun, right? :D

    One thing is for certain, this thread will have loads of more new pages, hundreds, until we know who the hell will play Bond next.

    PS: Cool to know us Dalton fans think alike ;)

    Babs said they want the dust to clear after NTTD gets released before they even consider a replacement for Craig :)

    Which seems logical, although it's inconceivable she doesn't have a little list of guys to keep an eye on, especially given her BAFTA role: she's watching everyone I'm sure.
  • DoctorNoDoctorNo USA-Maryland
    edited October 15 Posts: 658
    Waiting for the tea leaves to tell them what to do after the dust has settled from NTTD and some time has passed.. Jesus, just sell it to someone else already eon.
  • edited October 15 Posts: 5,198
    DoctorNo wrote: »
    Waiting for the tea leaves to tell them

    Tea_leaf_reading.jpg

    When it clearly says Aidan Turner :D
  • suavejmfsuavejmf Harrogate, North Yorkshire, England
    edited October 16 Posts: 5,017
    Univex wrote: »
    mtm wrote: »
    Univex wrote: »
    talos7 wrote: »
    “He doesn’t need to be a white man. Not as far as I’m concerned.”

    “We should create roles for women, not just turn a man into a woman.”


    If we can create separate roles for women then we should also create separate roles for people with different ethnicity. Her words sounds a bit diplomatic to me, if he doesn't need to be a white man then the character doesn't need to be a man as well by that logic, but i still want a white, British 6ft tall male to be bond.

    Absolutely diplomatic...

    Cope. Bond will be Bame.

    I thought we debunked the Tom Hardy rumour...

    tenor.gif?itemid=5645388

    Oh...baMe :D

    Sure. Just don't call it Ian Fleming's James Bond, and I'll be fine with that.

    Look, it's James Bond:

    henry-golding-james-bond-2172164.jpg?r=1574151553406

    DOjkxgVXkAAM_zQ.jpg

    Why? Because they're men, and they're wearing dinner jackets. And they're actors. That's why.

    Just don't call it Ian Fleming's James Bond. And I'l be fine with it. Or not. I really don't have to cope. I really don't have to watch it. I stopped watching Dr. Who (mind you, not because of Jodie, but because of the poor production and writer). But I'm still a fan. And I'll be a James Bond fan. I just won't watch the new films. That's all.

    Same here. As I like to say - go woke, go broke.

    Still - Tom Hardy or bust. Not some BAME flavour of the week actor that the progressives wet themselves over.

    It's fine for me either way: the quality of the actor is the important thing for me (as long as he hits the certain qualities I find important in Bond). I'm not wetting myself, nor am I throwing my toys out of my pram, unlike the non-progressives ;)

    I’ll simply boycott. Besides, I’ll have saved up enough money for better endeavours anyway :D And we’ll still have the Connery to Craig era if the franchise goes woke.

    But in the fairness of equality - lets reboot X-Men and pick a white woman to play Storm ;)

    Ryan Reynolds as Shaft, Henry Golding as Black Panther, Daniel Day Kim as Batman, Forest Whitaker as Poirot, ...

    ;)

    Colin Firth as Blade, Hugh Grant as Axel Foley, Hugh Laurie as Superfly, Jason Stratham as Bridget Jones.
  • suavejmfsuavejmf Harrogate, North Yorkshire, England
    Posts: 5,017
    Univex wrote: »
    talos7 wrote: »
    “He doesn’t need to be a white man. Not as far as I’m concerned.”

    “We should create roles for women, not just turn a man into a woman.”


    If we can create separate roles for women then we should also create separate roles for people with different ethnicity. Her words sounds a bit diplomatic to me, if he doesn't need to be a white man then the character doesn't need to be a man as well by that logic, but i still want a white, British 6ft tall male to be bond.

    Absolutely diplomatic...

    Cope. Bond will be Bame.

    I thought we debunked the Tom Hardy rumour...

    tenor.gif?itemid=5645388

    Oh...baMe :D

    Sure. Just don't call it Ian Fleming's James Bond, and I'll be fine with that.

    Look, it's James Bond:

    henry-golding-james-bond-2172164.jpg?r=1574151553406

    DOjkxgVXkAAM_zQ.jpg

    Why? Because they're men, and they're wearing dinner jackets. And they're actors. That's why.

    Just don't call it Ian Fleming's James Bond. And I'l be fine with it. Or not. I really don't have to cope. I really don't have to watch it. I stopped watching Dr. Who (mind you, not because of Jodie, but because of the poor production and writer). But I'm still a fan. And I'll be a James Bond fan. I just won't watch the new films. That's all.

    The above ‘candidates’ are totally unsuitable. Laughable in fact.
  • ImpertinentGoonImpertinentGoon Wattenscheid
    Posts: 118
    Univex wrote: »
    DoctorNo wrote: »
    Waiting for the tea leaves to tell them

    Tea_leaf_reading.jpg

    When it clearly says Aidan Turner :D

    Kinda looks like Ireland, doesn't it?

    (I wholeheartedly support this thread turning into straight up tea leaf reading and other divination methods. I enjoy the discussion, but it would be about as useful as what we are doing at the moment.)
  • Posts: 10,983
    suavejmf wrote: »
    Univex wrote: »
    talos7 wrote: »
    “He doesn’t need to be a white man. Not as far as I’m concerned.”

    “We should create roles for women, not just turn a man into a woman.”


    If we can create separate roles for women then we should also create separate roles for people with different ethnicity. Her words sounds a bit diplomatic to me, if he doesn't need to be a white man then the character doesn't need to be a man as well by that logic, but i still want a white, British 6ft tall male to be bond.

    Absolutely diplomatic...

    Cope. Bond will be Bame.

    I thought we debunked the Tom Hardy rumour...

    tenor.gif?itemid=5645388

    Oh...baMe :D

    Sure. Just don't call it Ian Fleming's James Bond, and I'll be fine with that.

    Look, it's James Bond:

    henry-golding-james-bond-2172164.jpg?r=1574151553406

    DOjkxgVXkAAM_zQ.jpg

    Why? Because they're men, and they're wearing dinner jackets. And they're actors. That's why.

    Just don't call it Ian Fleming's James Bond. And I'l be fine with it. Or not. I really don't have to cope. I really don't have to watch it. I stopped watching Dr. Who (mind you, not because of Jodie, but because of the poor production and writer). But I'm still a fan. And I'll be a James Bond fan. I just won't watch the new films. That's all.

    The above ‘candidates’ are totally unsuitable. Laughable in fact.

    Exactly. Just because a good, or even great actor is seen wearing a tux doesn't make him BOND.

    samelliott-14.jpg
  • Posts: 12,682
    I call it the tuxedo argument. There's also the fancy car argument and the good looking Brit argument. The last one explains why Hugh Grant, Robbie Williams and Jude Law were all rumoured as Bond at the time.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    Posts: 3,982
    Again my thoughts remain the same, I trust EON, and if through the many auditions and screen tests they do, they find an actor whose black or otherwise whose able to fully embody James Bond, then I'll be on board and will still be there opening night :)
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Posts: 4,869
    Ludovico wrote: »
    I call it the tuxedo argument. There's also the fancy car argument and the good looking Brit argument. The last one explains why Hugh Grant, Robbie Williams and Jude Law were all rumoured as Bond at the time.

    Yes, I guess it's why we keep getting the same photo of Adrian Turner in a dinner suit in an Agatha Christie play all the time ;)

    Denbigh wrote: »
    Again my thoughts remain the same, I trust EON, and if through the many auditions and screen tests they do, they find an actor whose black or otherwise whose able to fully embody James Bond, then I'll be on board and will still be there opening night :)

    Me too :) They'll be casting their net very wide; I don't think they should mess it up.
  • Posts: 7,958
    Univex wrote: »
    DoctorNo wrote: »
    Waiting for the tea leaves to tell them

    Tea_leaf_reading.jpg

    When it clearly says Aidan Turner :D

    as much as I dont like him I prefer him over Henry Goulding or Idris Elba
  • suavejmfsuavejmf Harrogate, North Yorkshire, England
    edited October 16 Posts: 5,017
    Risico007 wrote: »
    Univex wrote: »
    DoctorNo wrote: »
    Waiting for the tea leaves to tell them

    Tea_leaf_reading.jpg

    When it clearly says Aidan Turner :D

    as much as I dont like him I prefer him over Henry Goulding or Idris Elba

    Golding or Elba as Bond is like casting Hugh Grant as ‘The Black Panther’ or Daniel Craig as Axel Foley. Just silly IMO.

    Eon can consider and cast who they like naturally. But the casting will influence if I watch the film or not. Saying that, they haven’t ‘messed up’ in the past.
  • ResurrectionResurrection Kolkata, India
    Posts: 2,432
    Univex wrote: »
    Univex wrote: »
    mtm wrote: »
    Univex wrote: »
    talos7 wrote: »
    “He doesn’t need to be a white man. Not as far as I’m concerned.”

    “We should create roles for women, not just turn a man into a woman.”


    If we can create separate roles for women then we should also create separate roles for people with different ethnicity. Her words sounds a bit diplomatic to me, if he doesn't need to be a white man then the character doesn't need to be a man as well by that logic, but i still want a white, British 6ft tall male to be bond.

    Absolutely diplomatic...

    Cope. Bond will be Bame.

    I thought we debunked the Tom Hardy rumour...

    tenor.gif?itemid=5645388

    Oh...baMe :D

    Sure. Just don't call it Ian Fleming's James Bond, and I'll be fine with that.

    Look, it's James Bond:

    henry-golding-james-bond-2172164.jpg?r=1574151553406

    DOjkxgVXkAAM_zQ.jpg

    Why? Because they're men, and they're wearing dinner jackets. And they're actors. That's why.

    Just don't call it Ian Fleming's James Bond. And I'l be fine with it. Or not. I really don't have to cope. I really don't have to watch it. I stopped watching Dr. Who (mind you, not because of Jodie, but because of the poor production and writer). But I'm still a fan. And I'll be a James Bond fan. I just won't watch the new films. That's all.

    Same here. As I like to say - go woke, go broke.

    Still - Tom Hardy or bust. Not some BAME flavour of the week actor that the progressives wet themselves over.

    It's fine for me either way: the quality of the actor is the important thing for me (as long as he hits the certain qualities I find important in Bond). I'm not wetting myself, nor am I throwing my toys out of my pram, unlike the non-progressives ;)

    I’ll simply boycott. Besides, I’ll have saved up enough money for better endeavours anyway :D And we’ll still have the Connery to Craig era if the franchise goes woke.

    But in the fairness of equality - lets reboot X-Men and pick a white woman to play Storm ;)

    Ryan Reynolds as Shaft, Henry Golding as Black Panther, Daniel Day Kim as Batman, Forest Whitaker as Poirot, ...

    ;)

    Great - I’ve opened a Pandora’s box.... :))

    Oh, it's been cracked opened for a while ;) But we won't win the argument, so we might as well have some fun, right? :D

    One thing is for certain, this thread will have loads of more new pages, hundreds, until we know who the hell will play Bond next.

    PS: Cool to know us Dalton fans think alike ;)

    Babs said they want the dust to clear after NTTD gets released before they even consider a replacement for Craig :) Us Dalton fans are a rare breed.

    Rare breed indeed.
  • Posts: 7,958
    suavejmf wrote: »
    Risico007 wrote: »
    Univex wrote: »
    DoctorNo wrote: »
    Waiting for the tea leaves to tell them

    Tea_leaf_reading.jpg

    When it clearly says Aidan Turner :D

    as much as I dont like him I prefer him over Henry Goulding or Idris Elba

    Golding or Elba as Bond is like casting Hugh Grant as ‘The Black Panther’ or Daniel Craig as Axel Foley. Just silly IMO.

    Eon can consider and cast who they like naturally. But the casting will influence if I watch the film or not. Saying that, they haven’t ‘messed up’ in the past.

    Agreed and i hope they wont now
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    Posts: 3,982
    suavejmf wrote: »
    Risico007 wrote: »
    Univex wrote: »
    DoctorNo wrote: »
    Waiting for the tea leaves to tell them

    Tea_leaf_reading.jpg

    When it clearly says Aidan Turner :D

    as much as I dont like him I prefer him over Henry Goulding or Idris Elba
    Golding or Elba as Bond is like casting Hugh Grant as ‘The Black Panther’.
    Not really imo, although I certainly wouldn't want Elba for other reasons. Anyway, I understand where you're going but I feel the same about this comparison with Shack....

    James Bond is a British secret intelligence service agent, code number 007, residing in London but active internationally, who in the world we live in, could be a black man or a man of any other race as long as the character remains British. Black Panther, on other hand, could not be played by a white man or any other race. His real name is T'Challa, and he is the king and protector of the fictional African nation of Wakanda.

    Axel Foley actually could be played by someone of any another race. He was actually originally gonna be played by Sylvester Stallone - but the reason Hollywood wouldn't change his race in a reboot or sequel or whatever is because it defeats the purpose of casting a black man in the first place.
  • Posts: 5,198
    Denbigh wrote: »
    James Bond is a British secret intelligence service agent, code number 007, residing in London but active internationally, who in the world we live in, could be a black man or a man of any other race as long as the character remains British.

    That's an incomplete characterisation, from which race, gender and overall physical characteristics were taken away. So I'd say that's only half of it, if that. James Bond is more than what you've depicted @Denbigh, my friend.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited October 16 Posts: 4,869
    suavejmf wrote: »
    Risico007 wrote: »
    Univex wrote: »
    DoctorNo wrote: »
    Waiting for the tea leaves to tell them

    Tea_leaf_reading.jpg

    When it clearly says Aidan Turner :D

    as much as I dont like him I prefer him over Henry Goulding or Idris Elba

    Golding or Elba as Bond is like casting Hugh Grant as ‘The Black Panther’ or Daniel Craig as Axel Foley. Just silly IMO.

    No, not really IMHO. As I already said, the point of Black Panther culturally is that he is black: it's actually in his name. There's nothing about James Bond that requires him to be white. Elba would have been pretty perfect I think, if he could posh it up well enough. Strong physical presence, very handsome, funny and charismatic, ladies get the hots over him, is a big enough star to lead a movie. Golding's decent and actually pretty charismatic but I haven't seen him in enough stuff to be sure- I have a little nagging doubt about how good an actor he is.
    Denbigh wrote: »
    Axel Foley actually could be played by someone of any another race. He was actually originally gonna be played by Sylvester Stallone - but the reason Hollywood wouldn't change his race in a reboot or sequel or whatever is because it defeats the purpose of casting a black man in the first place.

    Indeed, so not that silly. He just has to come from Detroit (was it?) and be streetwise as they used to say. It would, as you say, be hugely tone deaf to change his race at this point though. Movies don't exist in a vacuum: they show their audiences what's good and bad in the real world to some extent. And if anyone who's not keen on that idea has missed the fact that 007 has been defeating the evil thieves and murderers for nearly 60 years! :)
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    edited October 16 Posts: 3,982
    Univex wrote: »
    Denbigh wrote: »
    James Bond is a British secret intelligence service agent, code number 007, residing in London but active internationally, who in the world we live in, could be a black man or a man of any other race as long as the character remains British.
    That's an incomplete characterisation, from which race, gender and overall physical characteristics were taken away. So I'd say that's only half of it - if that. James Bond is more than what you've depicted @Denbigh, my friend.
    But despite the obvious gender and overall physical characteristics, that description is the simplest explanation of who the character is, just as the description of Black Panther is. The point is that one character is literally defined by their race, another isn't - in my personal opinion.

    If I was to explain James Bond to someone who didn't know who he was, I don't think I'd ever mention the fact that he's white, or consider it an important factor, whereas his gender for example probably would be - which is why to me, James Bond could be black or of another race, and not a woman.
  • MSL49MSL49 Finland
    Posts: 271
    mtm wrote: »
    Ludovico wrote: »
    I call it the tuxedo argument. There's also the fancy car argument and the good looking Brit argument. The last one explains why Hugh Grant, Robbie Williams and Jude Law were all rumoured as Bond at the time.

    Yes, I guess it's why we keep getting the same photo of Adrian Turner in a dinner suit in an Agatha Christie play all the time ;)

    Denbigh wrote: »
    Again my thoughts remain the same, I trust EON, and if through the many auditions and screen tests they do, they find an actor whose black or otherwise whose able to fully embody James Bond, then I'll be on board and will still be there opening night :)

    Me too :) They'll be casting their net very wide; I don't think they should mess it up.

    I think Turner is a strong candidate.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited October 16 Posts: 4,869
    Denbigh wrote: »
    Univex wrote: »
    Denbigh wrote: »
    James Bond is a British secret intelligence service agent, code number 007, residing in London but active internationally, who in the world we live in, could be a black man or a man of any other race as long as the character remains British.
    That's an incomplete characterisation, from which race, gender and overall physical characteristics were taken away. So I'd say that's only half of it - if that. James Bond is more than what you've depicted @Denbigh, my friend.
    But despite the obvious gender and overall physical characteristics, that description is the simplest explanation of who the character is, just as the description of Black Panther is. The point is that one character is literally defined by their race, another isn't - in my personal opinion.

    If I was to explain James Bond to someone who didn't know who he was, I don't think I'd ever mention the fact that he's white, or consider it an important factor, whereas his gender for example probably would be - which is why to me, James Bond could be black or of another race, and not a woman.

    Exactly: he was written as a fairly inconspicuous comfortably-off man who came from 50s London. It just so happens that a man like that at that time is more likely to be caucasian, but his race was never a key trait of his character or his cultural significance, unlike Black Panther as you say.
    Now that he's in the 21st century his race is less likely to be just one thing and is even less likely to be an issue in the world Bond lives in, which we've seen is an idealised one without racism. He's got be handsome and ideally athletic, an alpha male. But beyond that he doesn't need a comma of black hair over his right eye, a scar down his face and on the back of his hand, blue-grey eyes or be a ringer for Hoagy Carmichael or drive around in a 90 year old Bentley. We've managed 58 years without all of those things so far so I think they've been shown to be pretty non-essential. He doesn't even need black hair.
  • DeathToSpies84DeathToSpies84 Haydock, England
    Posts: 127
    mtm wrote: »
    suavejmf wrote: »
    Risico007 wrote: »
    Univex wrote: »
    DoctorNo wrote: »
    Waiting for the tea leaves to tell them

    Tea_leaf_reading.jpg

    When it clearly says Aidan Turner :D

    as much as I dont like him I prefer him over Henry Goulding or Idris Elba

    Golding or Elba as Bond is like casting Hugh Grant as ‘The Black Panther’ or Daniel Craig as Axel Foley. Just silly IMO.

    No, not really IMHO. As I already said, the point of Black Panther culturally is that he is black: it's actually in his name. There's nothing about James Bond that requires him to be white. Elba would have been pretty perfect I think, if he could posh it up well enough. Strong physical presence, very handsome, funny and charismatic, ladies get the hots over him, is a big enough star to lead a movie. Golding's decent and actually pretty charismatic but I haven't seen him in enough stuff to be sure- I have a little nagging doubt about how good an actor he is.
    Denbigh wrote: »
    Axel Foley actually could be played by someone of any another race. He was actually originally gonna be played by Sylvester Stallone - but the reason Hollywood wouldn't change his race in a reboot or sequel or whatever is because it defeats the purpose of casting a black man in the first place.

    Indeed, so not that silly. He just has to come from Detroit (was it?) and be streetwise as they used to say. It would, as you say, be hugely tone deaf to change his race at this point though. Movies don't exist in a vacuum: they show their audiences what's good and bad in the real world to some extent. And if anyone who's not keen on that idea has missed the fact that 007 has been defeating the evil thieves and murderers for nearly 60 years! :)

    Elba is 2 years north of 50 - the Bond role has well and truly passed him by. Remember when Sir Roger got the role at the grand age of 45 and was two years north of 60 before he finally retired? I’d rather a Bond around the age of mid thirties to early forties.

    I’ve got nothing against Elba per se, I just think his age would be the dealbreaker.
  • Agent_Zero_OneAgent_Zero_One Ireland
    Posts: 124
    Well said, @mtm.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    Posts: 3,982
    MSL49 wrote: »
    mtm wrote: »
    Ludovico wrote: »
    I call it the tuxedo argument. There's also the fancy car argument and the good looking Brit argument. The last one explains why Hugh Grant, Robbie Williams and Jude Law were all rumoured as Bond at the time.

    Yes, I guess it's why we keep getting the same photo of Adrian Turner in a dinner suit in an Agatha Christie play all the time ;)

    Denbigh wrote: »
    Again my thoughts remain the same, I trust EON, and if through the many auditions and screen tests they do, they find an actor whose black or otherwise whose able to fully embody James Bond, then I'll be on board and will still be there opening night :)

    Me too :) They'll be casting their net very wide; I don't think they should mess it up.

    I think Turner is a strong candidate.
    Callum? I know ;)
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited October 16 Posts: 4,869
    mtm wrote: »
    suavejmf wrote: »
    Risico007 wrote: »
    Univex wrote: »
    DoctorNo wrote: »
    Waiting for the tea leaves to tell them

    Tea_leaf_reading.jpg

    When it clearly says Aidan Turner :D

    as much as I dont like him I prefer him over Henry Goulding or Idris Elba

    Golding or Elba as Bond is like casting Hugh Grant as ‘The Black Panther’ or Daniel Craig as Axel Foley. Just silly IMO.

    No, not really IMHO. As I already said, the point of Black Panther culturally is that he is black: it's actually in his name. There's nothing about James Bond that requires him to be white. Elba would have been pretty perfect I think, if he could posh it up well enough. Strong physical presence, very handsome, funny and charismatic, ladies get the hots over him, is a big enough star to lead a movie. Golding's decent and actually pretty charismatic but I haven't seen him in enough stuff to be sure- I have a little nagging doubt about how good an actor he is.
    Denbigh wrote: »
    Axel Foley actually could be played by someone of any another race. He was actually originally gonna be played by Sylvester Stallone - but the reason Hollywood wouldn't change his race in a reboot or sequel or whatever is because it defeats the purpose of casting a black man in the first place.

    Indeed, so not that silly. He just has to come from Detroit (was it?) and be streetwise as they used to say. It would, as you say, be hugely tone deaf to change his race at this point though. Movies don't exist in a vacuum: they show their audiences what's good and bad in the real world to some extent. And if anyone who's not keen on that idea has missed the fact that 007 has been defeating the evil thieves and murderers for nearly 60 years! :)

    Elba is 2 years north of 50 - the Bond role has well and truly passed him by. Remember when Sir Roger got the role at the grand age of 45 and was two years north of 60 before he finally retired? I’d rather a Bond around the age of mid thirties to early forties.

    I’ve got nothing against Elba per se, I just think his age would be the dealbreaker.

    Yes that's why I said 'would have been pretty perfect': past tense.

    Roger was 57 when he stopped, not 62.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    Posts: 3,982
    With Elba, I just didn't like how much he advertised himself for the role...
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited October 16 Posts: 4,869
    Denbigh wrote: »
    With Elba, I just didn't like how much he advertised himself for the role...

    I thought he generally kept quiet on it? I know there was that funny photo of him and Craig, but I don't remember much else. I do think he generally comes across as a spanner and rather full of himself, but hey, so does Bond! :)
Sign In or Register to comment.