Don't know what to listen to today ? here is the songs/artists/bands suggestion thread

2»

Comments

MartinBond wrote:
    Thanks to the computer I got my share of the 80's, and as a result I have a soft spot for this song:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&feature=endscreen&v=akJatuvhvxI

Nice choice, and from my favorite band as well!
    Favorite Bands/Artist:

1) The Doors
    2) Thursday
    3) The Beastie Boys
    4) The Roots
    5) The Black Keys
    6) Outkast
    7) Red Hot Chilli Peppers
    8) Wu-Tang Clan
    9) Prince
    Others include: U2, David Bowie, Muse, AFI, Matisyahu, Moby, Curtis Mayfield, Van Morrison, etc (could go on forever).

Fav Songs:
    1) Van the Man - Moondance
    2) Thursday - Jet Black New Year
    3) Lynyrd Skynyrd - Freebird
    4) Hendrix - All along the watchtower
    5) Oakenfold - Ready Steady Go (Korean Style)
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    edited June 2012 Posts: 28,694
    My favorite song is American Pie by Don McLean.
    My favourite song right now is Pretender by Foo Fighters, but it changes alot.
    Cruel to be Kind - by Nick Lowe

Shot in the Arm - by Wilco

Andmoreagain - by Love

The In Crowd - by Bryan Ferry

Turn to Stone - by Electric Light Orchestra

Waterloo Sunset - by The Kinks

Hey Hey, My My - Neil Young & Crazy Horse

There's a few good ones off the top of my head

• Today, I've been mostly listening to:

<snip>

A bit of a mixed bunch but it's what I felt like listening today.

I'd recommend The Black Keys, The The and Dooley Wilson DC007 for you.

That's an impressively diverse list, forgotmyusername. I recall a friend of mine who worked in a music store once told me that true music buffs (as opposed to fans) will respect any song from any time period or style as long as it is well made. Kudos for not sticking to one genre!

That's very kind of you. I think it comes with age, you learn to appreciate just good tunes and music.
    Does anybody else around here likes country music?
    I do like Dolly Parton if that's any help

Not really one for Brooks, Wynette, Nelson etc. Dolly is biggest and Best
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    0013 wrote:
    Yes, I do. King George Strait, all the way.
    And how about the greatest of them all: Johnny Cash?
  • WillardWhyteWillardWhyte Midnight Society #ProjectMoon
    0013 wrote:

Yep, Kenny Chesney, Tobi Keith, and Trace Adkins are among some of the ones I like.

Summer time seems like the perfect environment for country...talking about the weather..beer...girls....and well more beer.
    For some real music: Frank Sinatra, Dean Martin, Nat King Cole, Duke Ellington, and Benny Goodman. Call me a crooner fan, but they are all classic cool!
    edited June 2012 Posts: 28,694
    For some real music: Frank Sinatra, Dean Martin, Nat King Cole, Duke Ellington, and Benny Goodman. Call me a crooner fan, but they are all classic cool!
    I raise a toast to your immaculate taste!
    <:-P

Too bad you do not like Bing Crosby he was something else.

Maybe not to everyone's taste here.... but I love it !!
    That video made me feel awfully sentimental. The 80s were a strong time in a way. At least in retrospection.

Is that video and that song both 80s, or was it recently done?

• DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    boldfinger wrote:

That video made me feel awfully sentimental. The 80s were a strong time in a way. At least in retrospection.

song came out in 2011, as for the video I have no idea if it was recently filmed, or uses old footage.
  • RC7RC7
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    I love Simian Mobile Disco !! :)
  • boldfinger wrote:

song came out in 2011, as for the video I have no idea if it was recently filmed, or uses old footage.

For the first couple of shots I thought that it was an excruciatingly accurate recreation of an 80s video, but as it went on I thought no way - it's just too good and features too many different scenes. I'm guessing it's footage taken from an 80s breakdancing film (it looks like Joe Piscipo is in one quick shot).

This kind of ties in to what I was saying in another thread about how different things come in and out of style - the 80s are now the "retro" time period for a lot of young people and just a few years ago they were making fun of how it was the worst decade for clothing, music, etc. And now I've seen a lot of young girls (I live in an artsy area close to a university) who are starting to dress in an early 90s style - I wonder how long it will be until 90s retro is the cool new thing? I'll have to grow a goatee and get my Doc Martens out of storage...

Back to music, I love how the synthesizer-driven 80s style music has come into mainstream now...especially in commercials for products that are supposed to seem cool. I love that kind of music: simple, elegant, evocative. I always think of a great track from the Tron: Legacy soundtrack when I think of that kind of music. Not a song per se, but very cool:

0013 wrote:

Yeah man. I love Johnny Cash, Buck Owens, Hank Williams Sr., Merle Haggard, Weylon Jennings, George Jones, Ray Price, Loretta Lynn...classic American music right there.

My favourite has to be Gram Parsons. He's a little more country-rock. If you haven't heard any Gram, I highly recommend you pick up one of his records ASAP. Start with The Flying Burrito Brothers "The Gilded Palace of Sin". It doesn't get much better than that.

:-\"
    edited November 2013 Posts: 15,690
    sorry to boost this old thread, but I can't find any topics about non-Bond music/songs.. can anyone help? :)