NO TIME TO DIE (2021) - Critical Reaction and Box Office Performance

Comments

• A brave decision would have been to keep the date and that would have snowballed and led to people going back to the cinema and future releases.
    I completely agree with this user from ajb007.co.uk.
    A brave decision would have been to keep the date and that would have snowballed and led to people going back to the cinema and future releases.
    I completely agree with this user from ajb007.co.uk.

Also agreed.Tenet,no matter how good or how popular it was going to be,was never going to save cinemas all by itself.Momentum was the key.All the other major studios should have worked together and released their movies in succession and slowly but surely got people going to theaters again.

Bond being pushed again to next year is the fatal bullet that will kill many cinema chains that will now not survive and consequently when NTTD is released theatrically it will not make as much money as it could have.

And before anyone says that it would be '' irresponsible '' to release it now,cinemas are as SAFE as it possibly is to be outside the home during this pandemic and people want to go.They could have always moved to PVOD during a theatrical release during a second lockdown ( Just like films like The Invisible Man did last march ).Yes,they would not make as much money but at least the movie would be out there and keeping the theater industry alive.

• Bond being pushed again to next year is the fatal bullet that will kill many cinema chains that will now not survive and consequently when NTTD is released theatrically it will not make as much money as it could have.
    There's also the issue of all the delayed 2020 films coming out next Spring and Summer. Some of them are going to cancel each other out in terms of ticket sales - i.e. if some audience members wanted to see several films that may have been due for various months of this year, if these films come out more or less at the same time next year, then those audience members might end up having to prioritize which of those films they're most interested in, if they're limited in terms of affording tickets or spending time at the cinema.
    I just hope Death On The Nile and Wonder Woman 1984 still come out at christmas time.

A double dose of Gal Gadot is just what i need to get me through holidays!
  • RedNineRedNine Poland
    Personally, I think that Bond is being rightfully criticised here. If you don't want the blame in a situation like that then don't go full on with marketing every day reminding you that the movie is in the cinemas, this November, with articles being published that the movie will be released this November because "cinemas need Bond". We've had only one other movie attract similar crticism at some point and it was Tenet- and it was because both of those movies were trying to ensure that they are going to be released despite the pandemic.
    The reality is that while No Time To Die wouldnt save cinemas by itself but if it would make good enough money then it would inspire other studios to release their movies and that was always how it was suppose to go. Popculture is driven by trends and trends are not started with popular, reasonable decisions. It's always surrounded with risks, uncertainty and failed attempts. There has been many examples of that in the history- female written kids books werent suppose to sell that well untill JK Rowling absolutely destroyed that notion, movies in a shared universe, all linking to each other werent suppose to work untill Marvel came around. Now everyone is saying that releasing movies during a pandemic is not going to work untill there will be a movie that will be get released and will significantly overperform the expectations and then everyone will be racing to release their movie as quickly as possible, that's how it works.
    It is remarkable how so many fans of Bond films think a release of a new Bond film during a pandemic will change people's behavior, as if seeing a movie is just so darn irresistable that people will disregard their health -- perhaps their life -- over whether see it sooner, rather than later. Really ?
  • Most people are more at risk if they go on holiday abroad than if they go to the cinema for a couple of hours one afternoon or evening.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    Most people are more at risk if they go on holiday abroad than if they go to the cinema for a couple of hours one afternoon or evening.

That's true - the plane may crash.
    Who's going on a holiday abroad at this time ? The same folks who don't seem to care or mind about going into a closed restaurant, perhaps, or a theater. Not as many people who would have travelled -- anywhere -- were there no pandemic. Are these enough to generate box office numbers like the last few Bond films ? The producers, distributors and so on with a financial interest in this film seem to think not.
  • Who's going on a holiday abroad at this time ? The same folks who don't seem to care or mind about going into a closed restaurant, perhaps, or a theater.
    I'm comfortable with going to the cinema but I'm definitely not with going on holiday abroad.
  • RedNineRedNine Poland
    Since62 wrote: »
    Are these enough to generate box office numbers like the last few Bond films ? The producers, distributors and so on with a financial interest in this film seem to think not.
    Well, that's exactly the problem that needs solving. Are the numbers gonna be the same ? Impossible, can they be respectable enough for them to survive ? Possibly, we won't know unless someone will take the bullet and no one is willing to. The reality might just well as be that the constant delays of the movie releases in hope of making the same money they would do pre-covid only make it harder for those numbers to go back and they might have to wait decades before they will be able to make the amount of money they are hoping for now.
  • That's true - the plane may crash.
    I mean, as in, they've got more chance of catching the virus abroad than at the cinema.
  • MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython “Baja?!”
    It is remarkable how so many fans of Bond films think a release of a new Bond film during a pandemic will change people's behavior, as if seeing a movie is just so darn irresistable that people will disregard their health -- perhaps their life -- over whether see it sooner, rather than later. Really ?

Or even assuming people can actually afford to go to the movies, as if we're still in pre-pandemic times when unemployment wasn't going up.

There's a lot of factors many here are not considering. So much wishful thinking. Apparently the studios aren't as knowledgeable about these things as a bunch of movie nerds on an internet message board.

Every one of you claimed TENET would bring back audiences. It didn't. Now you're all saying we need to put out MORE movies to draw in audiences. How certain are you? This is a lot of money you're willing to gamble.
    Every one of you claimed TENET would bring back audiences. It didn't. Now you're all saying we need to put out MORE movies to draw in audiences. How certain are you? This is a lot of money you're willing to gamble.

You're speaking about the USA.

Here in Germany "Tenet" already made more than "Dunkirk" and is on its way to surpass "Interstellar".

The main problem is, that some people think, that a theatre visit is risky, when in fact the risk is far lower than anywhere else in public.

I have been to the movie theatre a hundred times since cinemas re-opened in Germany in May.
    You book tickets online, you have to give your contact details, you have to keep 1.5 metres at all times, you have to wear a mask until you reach your seat (can take it off during the screening).
    IF someone from the audience from those 100 cinema visits would have tested positiv afterwards, the Health Department would have called me and I would have been tested aswell. I believe that's how it works in every country, right?

Cinemas have modern air condition (exchange of the air every couple of minutes), almost no talking during the show, and at least 1.5 metres distancing at all times.
    And as I explained before there has not been one (!) screening, that turned out to be spreader event afterwards - as we all would have read about it in the papers.

I write this again and again as I want to take the fear of those who believe, that it's extremly risky to attend a theatre.

So even if someone who is unknowingly infected with Covid sits two rows behind you, the chances, that you get infected are very, very low - almost non-existent.
    Jan1985 wrote: »

A rather important market.

Yes, but even there the risk of getting infected at the cinema is as low as elsewhere in the world.
  • ResurrectionResurrection Kolkata, India

Here in Germany "Tenet" already made more than "Dunkirk" and is on its way to surpass "Interstellar".

The main problem is, that some people think, that a theatre visit is risky, when in fact the risk is far lower than anywhere else in public.

I have been to the movie theatre a hundred times since cinemas re-opened in Germany in May.
    You book tickets online, you have to give your contact details, you have to keep 1.5 metres at all times, you have to wear a mask until you reach your seat (can take it off during the screening).
    IF someone from the audience from those 100 cinema visits would have tested positiv afterwards, the Health Department would have called me and I would have been tested aswell. I believe that's how it works in every country, right?

Cinemas have modern air condition (exchange of the air every couple of minutes), almost no talking during the show, and at least 1.5 metres distancing at all times.
    And as I explained before there has not been one (!) screening, that turned out to be spreader event afterwards - as we all would have read about it in the papers.

I write this again and again as I want to take the fear of those who believe, that it's extremly risky to attend a theatre.

So even if someone who is unknowingly infected with Covid sits two rows behind you, the chances, that you get infected are very, very low - almost non-existent.

I think theatres have to do something to make sure public enter there without fear. At the moment i really don't know why people aren't going into theatre but going everywhere else? it's the safest place there is, compare to others.

Yes, but even there the risk of getting infected at the cinema is as low as elsewhere in the world.

That doesn't matter. People here can bring up the fact that going to the cinema is safer that grocery shopping, that doesn't change the fact that too few in the USA are going at all.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland

As nice as that all is, the truth is that it doesn't really matter how safe theatres are.
  • Jan1985 wrote: »

Yes, but there (or rather, HERE) to risk of finding somebody being reasonable about the whole topic is far LOWER than most other places in the world.
  • Red_SnowRed_Snow Australia
    edited October 2020 Posts: 2,494
    The truth of the matter, is this isn't going away anytime soon. We must learn to live along side it and not in fear. Be cautious, be sensible, or the things we enjoyed last year wont exist next year.
  • RichardTheBruceRichardTheBruce I'm motivated by my Duty.
    I'll support theaters following the opportunities they offer me. Now, April, and after.

Minding the rules.
    @Jan1985 do you work in a theater ? Going to a movie theater "over 100 times since May" is amazing ! Particularly at a time when the supply of new films went down from what it otherwise would have been. Counting from the earliest possible day -- May 1st -- right up to today -- October 4 -- and counting just 100 times and not some amount "over 100" would mean you went to the cinema 100 times over a period of 157 days. Wow ! I enjoy movies a great deal, and I've gone to see the same film more than once in a theater, but -- wow ! Many folks would not devote so much of their disposable money on going to movies, either, even if they paid only for themselves and not for a spouse, date, children, etc., not to mention snacks and drinks.

At any rate -- many people regard theaters with less certainty of their safety than do you. They only just re-opened in other places beyond your home. They're enclosed. So, even if these folks are wrong, that's how many people see it and that affects attendance and Box Office receipts. The Theater operators' association(s) have announced their safety practices and, apparently, they're not enough to win people over very much. Furthermore, with theaters promising to allow only some amount less than 100% to attend, that also reduces box office receipts, so, from the viewpoint of people with a financial interest in a film's receipts, it is not encouraging, even were everyone to find it as safe as do you.
  • M_BaljeM_Balje Amsterdam, Netherlands
    edited October 2020 Posts: 4,416
    Mabey BBC and cinema's and Eon should made a deal to release 4 part mini series of Fleming in the cinema and there can show trailer of NTTD. After episodes showing Billie's videoclip minus that spoiler and title of movie with new date or coming in 2021.
  • edited October 2020 Posts: 625
    @Jan1985 do you work in a theater ? Going to a movie theater "over 100 times since May" is amazing ! Particularly at a time when the supply of new films went down from what it otherwise would have been. Counting from the earliest possible day -- May 1st -- right up to today -- October 4 -- and counting just 100 times and not some amount "over 100" would mean you went to the cinema 100 times over a period of 157 days. Wow ! I enjoy movies a great deal, and I've gone to see the same film more than once in a theater, but -- wow ! Many folks would not devote so much of their disposable money on going to movies, either, even if they paid only for themselves and not for a spouse, date, children, etc., not to mention snacks and drinks.

At any rate -- many people regard theaters with less certainty of their safety than do you. They only just re-opened in other places beyond your home. They're enclosed. So, even if these folks are wrong, that's how many people see it and that affects attendance and Box Office receipts. The Theater operators' association(s) have announced their safety practices and, apparently, they're not enough to win people over very much. Furthermore, with theaters promising to allow only some amount less than 100% to attend, that also reduces box office receipts, so, from the viewpoint of people with a financial interest in a film's receipts, it is not encouraging, even were everyone to find it as safe as do you.

No, I don't work at a theatre. I'm just a movie fan.

Here in Hamburg some theatres had special prices when re-opening, like €4,99 per movie.

I've seen lots of classics:
    - Harry Potter 1-8
    - Phantastic Beasts 1-2
    - Lord of the Rings 1-3
    - Hobbit 1-3
    - Back To The Future 1-3
    - A Clockwork Orange
    - Barry Lyndon
    - The Shining
    - Eyes Wide Shut
    - Inception
    - Casablanca
    - Bullitt
    - Dirty Harry
    - American Graffiti
    - Sugarland Express
    - Jaws
    - Alien
    - Apocalypse Now
    - The Empire Strikes Back
    - E.T.
    - Scarface
    - Ghostbusters
    - Do The Right Thing
    - Good Fellas
    - Night On Earth
    - Terminator 2
    - Jurassic Park
    - Inglorious Basterds
    - Mad Max
    - Mad Max: Fury Road

When Ennio Morricone died, some cinemas showed the movies he did the music to.
    I saw
    - Once Upon A Time In The West
    - Cinema Paradiso

New US movies:

- Irresitible
    - The King of Staten Island
    - Unhinged
    - The Climb
    - Tenet
    - Bill & Ted Face The Music
    - On The Rocks
    - Nomadland

And we recently had the Hamburg Film Festival with lots of new releases. I got to see some movies there aswell like the wonderful "Spring Blossom" from 19-year-old french director Suzanne Lindon.

And many more movies I will not list, because it may bore you to read german and other european movie titles.

I can tell you: it's fun to see all those movies on the big screen again or for the first time.
    At two screenings I was all my myself, at some screenings around 10 to 20 people attended. The record attendance must have been with about 300 people at one screening. But that was a screen with more than 1000 seats.
    I went to as many as atleast 20 different cinemas, and not once felt unsafe.
    Sometimes I went on my own, sometimes with friends.
  • Last_Rat_StandingLast_Rat_Standing Long Neck Ice Cold Beer Never Broke My Heart
    Turns out that theaters were hinging on Bond being released in November. Both Regal and Cineworld are shutting down a bunch of theaters now that it got pushed.
    Turns out that theaters were hinging on Bond being released in November. Both Regal and Cineworld are shutting down a bunch of theaters now that it got pushed.

They’re using Bond as a scapegoat. They never would have held out until Nov 12th, they had planned on shutting down for a while now. Closing a huge chain like that across the UK and US really isn’t an overnight thought like their press department are making it out to be.
  • TR007 wrote: »

They’re using Bond as a scapegoat. They never would have held out until Nov 12th, they had planned on shutting down for a while now. Closing a huge chain like that across the UK and US really isn’t an overnight thought like their press department are making it out to be.

I imagine it's more the case of they had scenarios in place for shutting down in the event of further lockdowns, and the postponement of NTTD triggered the scenario because without Bond, what point is there staying open? No other major release is scheduled until Christmas at the earliest. So scapegoat or not, it's a direct cause and effect of the decision to postpone.
    TR007 wrote: »

I imagine it's more the case of they had scenarios in place for shutting down in the event of further lockdowns, and the postponement of NTTD triggered the scenario because without Bond, what point is there staying open? No other major release is scheduled until Christmas at the earliest. So scapegoat or not, it's a direct cause and effect of the decision to postpone.

Exactly.
    The causation of trouble for theaters, as with other businesses, is the health risk of the coronavirus. I saw articles indicating they consider the NTTD delay the causation, or the straw breaking their camel's back. Not just as a Bond fan, I'll say again -- their attribution of causation is misplaced.