Who should/could be a Bond actor?

Comments

Cavil would be fine I am happy with that
    Univex wrote: »
    We must consider that, although James Bond 007 was always a bit of a prime steak in showbusiness, it wasn't until Daniel Craig came along with his A list directors (Well, Sam Mendes, and his crowd, like Deakins and Newman) and awards (32 for the 4 films so far), that the brand took another layer of shine.

For many, I feel, it's still embarrassing to confess their love for the franchise (if they have any love to begin with). It's a bit like serious authors admitting they like to read Fleming. When I say Kingsley Amis wrote one, they all raise their proverbial eyebrows. Now, imagine if Kazuo Ishiguro started writing Bond novels and scripts (heavens forbid, but you get the gist). Right? That's what happened to the brand, film wise. Another layer of shine, I'd say.

So, hearing those words come out of Sam Neil or Christian Bale isn't exactly shocking to me. And I do understand where they're coming from.

Even for us fans, I've often found it easier for people to say they're Trekkies or Star War aficionados, or Tarantino fans, or even Mission Impossible fans, or whatever, than to say they're Bond fans. That, at least, was my experience growing up. Back in the day, if one said one was a Bond fan, people would make fun of it and start making poses. And man, was that annoying! Personally, my fandom was something I kept for myself for decades as if social shame came from it.

So yeah, I guess if you're a "serious" actor, you'd think twice about committing to something like Bond. And Craig did. He really did. And I will forever thank him for the overall quality he brought to the franchise.

Absolutely right. This is also why Henry Cavill will not be Bond. Bond has been elevated to another level in the Craig era. It would be regressive to cast Cavill (or someone of his ilk). If Bond were still about in-house production teams and journeyman directors, then yes, Cavill would be in with a chance. Same with Aidan Turner. Casting the next Bond is going to be more difficult than ever.

That's my feeling about both Cavill and Turner (other considerations notwithstanding) : they are like younger Brosnan. They are 25 years too late for the role.
  • suavejmfsuavejmf Harrogate, North Yorkshire, England
    edited September 2020 Posts: 5,131
    mtm wrote: »
    MSL49 wrote: »
    Cavill fit's in that Dalton mould, test's and get's the role year's later.

I think he's a bit more Brosnan to be honest. Looks the part but is unlikely to bring much new to it. Except I think Brosnan did have a decent amount of movie star charisma, which I haven't seen Cavill display yet.

I agree with you with regards to the Brosnan comparison and I don’t particularly want Cavill as Bond.

However, I think that Cavill actually gets by on charisma and star quality, rather than acting prowess. I thought he showed this in ‘The Man From Uncle’ and ‘Man of Steel.’
  • FatherValentineFatherValentine England
    We must consider that, although James Bond 007 was always a bit of a prime steak in showbusiness, it wasn't until Daniel Craig came along with his A list directors (Well, Sam Mendes, and his crowd, like Deakins and Newman) and awards (32 for the 4 films so far), that the brand took another layer of shine.

For many, I feel, it's still embarrassing to confess their love for the franchise (if they have any love to begin with). It's a bit like serious authors admitting they like to read Fleming. When I say Kingsley Amis wrote one, they all raise their proverbial eyebrows. Now, imagine if Kazuo Ishiguro started writing Bond novels and scripts (heavens forbid, but you get the gist). Right? That's what happened to the brand, film wise. Another layer of shine, I'd say.

So, hearing those words come out of Sam Neil or Christian Bale isn't exactly shocking to me. And I do understand where they're coming from.

Even for us fans, I've often found it easier for people to say they're Trekkies or Star War aficionados, or Tarantino fans, or even Mission Impossible fans, or whatever, than to say they're Bond fans. That, at least, was my experience growing up. Back in the day, if one said one was a Bond fan, people would make fun of it and start making poses. And man, was that annoying! Personally, my fandom was something I kept for myself for decades as if social shame came from it.

So yeah, I guess if you're a "serious" actor, you'd think twice about committing to something like Bond. And Craig did. He really did. And I will forever thank him for the overall quality he brought to the franchise.

Good post @Univex.

Had the piss ripped out of me so many times when I was young for being a Bond fan.

Much more confident these days and I have to say I don't want it to become respectable.

I am willing to be put right, but I would guess that those fans who say they don't want Bond to become 'woke' are really alluding to this idea of 'respectability'. They don't want it to be the sort of franchise The Guardian likes, if you know what I mean? And personally, I completely agree with them.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited September 2020 Posts: 14,929

I think he's a bit more Brosnan to be honest. Looks the part but is unlikely to bring much new to it. Except I think Brosnan did have a decent amount of movie star charisma, which I haven't seen Cavill display yet.

Is that bad thing after Craig?

No charisma? Erm.. it's not great.
    suavejmf wrote: »

I agree with you with regards to the Brosnan comparison and I don’t particularly want Cavill as Bond.

However, I think that Cavill actually gets by on charisma and star quality, rather than acting prowess. I thought he showed this in ‘The Man From Uncle’ and ‘Man of Steel.’

See, I think UNCLE is a complete blank spot in the lead- I don't see any charisma there. He's like a handsome robot. Compare with Guy Richie's previous big Hollywood action buddy films 'Sherlock Holmes'- which one has the movie stars in it?
    I will grant you that Hugh Grant is in UNCLE and he's always great. Who is the camera liking the best in the scenes where Grant is there with the two leads?
    That said, I do think Cavill does a reasonable job in Fallout. His diction is a bit weird but he has a bit of presence.

On that subject I finally watched The Gentlemen tonight, Richie's most recent, and Charlie Hunnam (who occasionally gets mentioned as a possible Bond, although I know he's not really been championed here) is in that, and, well... no. He's rubbish.
  • George_KaplanGeorge_Kaplan Not a red herring
    edited September 2020 Posts: 559

Good post @Univex.

Had the piss ripped out of me so many times when I was young for being a Bond fan.

Much more confident these days and I have to say I don't want it to become respectable.

I am willing to be put right, but I would guess that those fans who say they don't want Bond to become 'woke' are really alluding to this idea of 'respectability'. They don't want it to be the sort of franchise The Guardian likes, if you know what I mean? And personally, I completely agree with them.

I'm surprised you've had that experience. Granted I rarely ever mention that I'm a Bond fan but surely it would be quite different from being a Star Wars or Star Trek fan, both of which are associated with the stereotypical idea of a socially awkward nerd. I'd be more worried about people thinking I was some kind of smarmy pervert who tries to score women with cheesy one liners.
    Depends on your age, I think. Certainly in the pre-Brosnan era it wasn't cool to be a Bond fan.

Who is Cavill fit?
    Depends on your age, I think. Certainly in the pre-Brosnan era it wasn't cool to be a Bond fan.

That could be it, I'm just curious as to what people were so ashamed of, for someone who wasn't around during the Brosnan era.
    I wasn't ashamed. People just didn't think it was cool.

When I first went to college and said I was a big fan of Bond they would look at me strangely. I think people felt it was camp silliness. Or even just plain naff.

I have heard loads of comments along the lines of 'I like the new ones, but not the old, shit ones'. The 'new ones' in this case would refer to either Brosnan's films or Craig's films, depending on when the conversation took place.

Nowadays Brosnan's films are generally thought of as less classy than Craig's efforts. (and they are, to be fair - for better or for worse).

When I first went to college and said I was a big fan of Bond they would look at me strangely. I think people felt it was camp silliness. Or even just plain naff.

I have heard loads of comments along the lines of 'I like the new ones, but not the old, shit ones'. The 'new ones' in this case would refer to either Brosnan's films or Craig's films, depending on when the conversation took place.

Nowadays Brosnan's films are generally thought of as less classy than Craig's efforts. (and they are, to be fair - for better or for worse).

I’ve never met anyone who thought that Bond wasn’t cool. It’s the epitome of suave Britishness. I’ve heard the phrases ‘cheesy’ or ‘don’t like it’. But never ever, ‘not cool’.
    edited September 2020 Posts: 5,131

Is that bad thing after Craig?

No charisma? Erm.. it's not great.

See, I think UNCLE is a complete blank spot in the lead- I don't see any charisma there. He's like a handsome robot. Compare with Guy Richie's previous big Hollywood action buddy films 'Sherlock Holmes'- which one has the movie stars in it?
    I will grant you that Hugh Grant is in UNCLE and he's always great. Who is the camera liking the best in the scenes where Grant is there with the two leads?
    That said, I do think Cavill does a reasonable job in Fallout. His diction is a bit weird but he has a bit of presence.

On that subject I finally watched The Gentlemen tonight, Richie's most recent, and Charlie Hunnam (who occasionally gets mentioned as a possible Bond, although I know he's not really been championed here) is in that, and, well... no. He's rubbish.

I get what your saying, but TMFU was the first Guy Richie film I’ve liked in years and I admit I liked the lead’s. I wasn’t keen on Sherlock at all, as it wasn’t my idea of ‘Sherlock’ at all. So my opinion is negatively biased. Jude Law was great, but I think Downey Jr was miss cast. I really like the BBC update with Benedict Cumberbatch.

I haven’t seen ‘The Gentleman’ yet, but I agree, Hunnam has very low acting ability in everything I’ve seen him in thus far. His first Hollywood lead with King Arthur was a massive loss to the studio. He’s not worth a mention as a potential Bond IMO.
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    I'm going to throw Chris Hemsworth back into the mix.
    hs89lbwcl4xt.png

Good actor
    Charismatic
    Good look
    Popular with men and women
    Right age group.
    Might be on the higher price of potential actors, but I think he'd be interested in the role.

Benny wrote: »
    hs89lbwcl4xt.png

Good actor
    Charismatic
    Good look
    Right age group.
    Might be on the higher price of potential actors, but I think he'd be interested in the role.

I agree with everything you say above.

But his pantomime ‘faux’ British accent from Thor, Rush and MIB makes him unviable IMO. It just sounds forced and false IMO.
  • JeremyBondonJeremyBondon Seeking out odd jobs with Oddjob @Tangier
    I think just because someone doesn't like something which you happen to like, it doesn't make them a 'whiny baby', it just means that different people have different opinions.

And it does show that all of these people we're picking might not even want to do it! We know Cavill does, at least! :)

Mtm being contraire again, didn't see that one coming. Have you even heard his set rant? He is known as a diva and his comments regarding Bond don't even make sense(?) I could literally reply to every comment you make on here spouting the old 'I hAvE a DiFfeReNt OPiNion tHaN YoU, pLz ReSpEcT tHaT'. @Univex was right about you

• mtmmtm United Kingdom

I've found most people like Bond films more or less so I don't think I've encountered anyone acting like that to be honest, but then I tend to have fun with the cheesy elements of it anyway (like Roger's films!) so folks know it's just a bit of fun for me.
    I get what your saying, but TMFU was the first Guy Richie film I’ve liked in years and I admit I liked the lead’s. I wasn’t keen on Sherlock at all, as it wasn’t my idea of ‘Sherlock’ at all. So my opinion is negatively biased. Jude Law was great, but I think Downey Jr was miss cast. I really like the BBC update with Benedict Cumberbatch.

I thought UNCLE was fun and I wasn't as down on it as some reviews, but the leads just didn't impress. I also understand what your issue is with his Holmes films but to be honest I'm fine with films that play around with their subject matter and give us new takes on it- I don't need things to be 100% faithful all the time. We hadn't had Holmes treated as an action movie hero so I thought it was a fun approach to try, and I think Downey was a proper lead star in it.
    I haven’t seen ‘The Gentleman’ yet, but I agree, Hunnam has very low acting ability in everything I’ve seen him in thus far. His first Hollywood lead with King Arthur was a massive loss to the studio. He’s not worth a mention as a potential Bond IMO.

Yeah he tries to play the hard man in it, but it's not very convincing. Another one where Hugh Grant wins the screen! :)
    Benny wrote: »
    hs89lbwcl4xt.png

Good actor
    Charismatic
    Good look
    Right age group.

I agree with everything you say above.

But his pantomime ‘faux’ British accent from Thor, Rush and MIB makes him unviable IMO. It just sounds forced and false IMO.

We don't usually agree on the accent thing, but I must admit I do find his British accent to be pretty distracting. It was such a relief to watch him play his character as Australian in that Netflix action thing he did - I don't know why they can't let him do it more often.
    I do think that beyond that he's a pretty natural star though, and actually could take it back to a slightly more Roger Moore style, in a good way.
    I think just because someone doesn't like something which you happen to like, it doesn't make them a 'whiny baby', it just means that different people have different opinions.

And it does show that all of these people we're picking might not even want to do it! We know Cavill does, at least! :)

Mtm being contraire again, didn't see that one coming. Have you even heard his set rant? He is known as a diva and his comments regarding Bond don't even make sense(?) I could literally reply to every comment you make on here spouting the old 'I hAvE a DiFfeReNt OPiNion tHaN YoU, pLz ReSpEcT tHaT'. @Univex was right about you

Yes, very good. I respect that you have a different opinion, I'm just saying I don't think it makes much sense. What I'm not doing is calling you a whiny baby because I disagree with you, that's the difference.
    But I get that namecalling and personal attacks are encouraged around here, so I'll leave you to it. Call me as many names as you like, it doesn't mean much.

• MSL49MSL49 Finland
    Tom Hiddleston from villain to hero? He remind's me little bit of Roger Moore.
    I get the feeling that many of you Britons are lucky enough, for the obvious reason that Bond is a household product, to not have been made fun of being a fan. A foreign view of Bond isn't always a favourable one, as it's often taken as a bit kitsch and a pantomime of male fantasy. Say you're a Bond fan and you'll be taken as an Austin Powers kind of idiot. Try it in any latin country, for example, and you'll get what I mean.
    I've never heard of it being uncool to be a Bond fan. This is news to me.
    However, when I was around 15 I did walk around flaunting a JAMES BOND 007 FAN CLUB t-shirt that promoted the Bondage fan magazine. I got a few snickers. It was a rather hideous yellow shirt. Not my finest hour as a Bond fan.

Anytime I'd mention being a Bond fan to new friends/acquaintances it was inevitable we'd eventually be watching some Bond films together.
    That said, I'd say for the most part movies goers are usually into whatever is currently popular. Indiana Jones and Star Wars in the '80's, Lethal Weapon, Die Hard, etc in the '90's, Bourne in the 00's and Marvel Universe today.

Bond has always been a mainstay that fits right in whenever a new film is released.................with the exception of LTK. Audiences in the States just didn't flock to that one.

I think the longer gaps make it more difficult for producers to keep Bond relevant, hence the constant need to reinvent the character and franchise during the Craig era. I have a hunch Barbara may feel at a loss with this next recasting. Big shoes to fill and this may take years of pondering which direction to go in and who to cast. Cubby on the other hand would get on with it, recast and have another film out on schedule. The style and tone would be modified to fit that actor's strengths even if it took a couple films to get it right.

I get the feeling that many of you Britons are lucky enough, for the obvious reason that Bond is a household product, to not have been made fun of being a fan. A foreign view of Bond isn't always a favourable one, as it's often taken as a bit kitsch and a pantomime of male fantasy. Say you're a Bond fan and you'll be taken as an Austin Powers kind of idiot. Try it in any latin country, for example, and you'll get what I mean.

I'm British, but I felt it. I wouldn't say I was 'made fun of', but just a sense that there weren't many die hard fans out there. Obviously the internet brought us together.

• DenbighDenbigh UK
    I'm quite isolated as a Bond fan. I'm literally the only person I know or can think of in my own life that enjoys them, even to a moderate degree. I mean my father likes them, and he'll come with me to see them, but if I tried to get anyone else to, I'd have to force them or probably bribe them.
    edited September 2020 Posts: 559
    Interesting to hear so many perspectives. Of course it doesn't really matter whether Bond is considered 'cool' by the general public or not. We like it and that's that.
  • MSL49MSL49 Finland
    I think Cubby always had successor in mind. Barbara should have too.
    Interesting to hear so many perspectives. Of course it doesn't really matter whether Bond is considered 'cool' by the general public or not. We like it and that's that.

Exactly. It never bothered me in the slightest.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom

I think Bond itself is always considered vaguely cool (or certainly not uncool) because most people like to watch the occasional Bond movie, but it's just people being fans of it which can feel uncool, as with anything really! Loads of people enjoy the Marvel movies, but a grown person having big superhero statues on their shelves can look a bit funny! :)

The advantage of being a Bond fan of course is that you can indulge your fan passions by wearing a similar outfit to Bond or a nice watch and no-one will notice (and it has the bonus of usually looking actually rather good), and you can't do that if you're a Star Trek fan! :) Obviously some people can do it in an uncool way- like folks who have 007 numberplates on their cars or whatever! :D
    edited September 2020 Posts: 737

I think Bond itself is always considered vaguely cool (or certainly not uncool) because most people like to watch the occasional Bond movie, but it's just people being fans of it which can feel uncool, as with anything really! Loads of people enjoy the Marvel movies, but a grown person having big superhero statues on their shelves can look a bit funny! :)

The advantage of being a Bond fan of course is that you can indulge your fan passions by wearing a similar outfit to Bond or a nice watch and no-one will notice (and it has the bonus of usually looking actually rather good), and you can't do that if you're a Star Trek fan! :) Obviously some people can do it in an uncool way- like folks who have 007 numberplates on their cars or whatever! :D

I don't mean to dismiss the experience of people posting here, but back between 1989 and 1995 it felt completely different to now. Bond was thought of as dead. Maybe it was the circles I was hanging out in (bands, indie types, that sort of thing), but they just thought it was shit. We're used to 5 year gaps nowadays, but back then Bond seemed finished. And I am serious when people would just come out and say it was utter shit. No joke, or exaggeration. Also, I wasn't a geeky sort, I just had the books and the films and used to be happy to tell people I liked Bond. Nothing more nor less than that really.

I think things have changed in the last 25 years. Nerd culture and being a fan of things, cosplay, etc, is mainstream. Comic books and superheroes are mainstream culture, not at the fringes.

Obviously Bond was always bigger than that, and always mainstream. But the general viewpoint among the people I hung out with from 1990 till CR generally all thought Bond was rubbish. In fact, even at school there weren't many kids into it, especially through the Dalton era when Die Hard and Lethal Weapon were seen as far cooler. You never struggled to rent a Bond movie where I was from, let's put it that way.

Anyway, this is just my experience. It doesn't invalidate anyone elses. Everyone has a different perspective and origins story of how they first came to Bond. And like I said, it didn't bother me in the slightest.
    Many younger folks find many of the pre-Craig Bond films to be corny, predictable, sexist and even "rapey" at times. They don't have an affinity for Bond that leads them to liking the films and -- as it is with some fans -- liking them while putting up with goofs and silliness. They appreciate levity and over-the-top action films, mind you, so it is not just that.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom

I don't mean to dismiss the experience of people posting here, but back between 1989 and 1995 it felt completely different to now. Bond was thought of as dead. Maybe it was the circles I was hanging out in (bands, indie types, that sort of thing), but they just thought it was shit. We're used to 5 year gaps nowadays, but back then Bond seemed finished. And I am serious when people would just come out and say it was utter shit. No joke, or exaggeration. Also, I wasn't a geeky sort, I just had the books and the films and used to be happy to tell people I liked Bond. Nothing more nor less than that really.

Fair enough; I was more of a kid at that time so didn't really have a feel of how cool anything was. Certainly Batman was THE big film of '89 for me and my friends, and although we had Living Daylights stickers on our lunchboxes, LTK just wasn't available to us because it was a 15. I still read my James Bond Fact File all the time though! :)

s-l400.jpg

That really is a weird choice of photos for the cover, isn't it?
    I think things have changed in the last 25 years. Nerd culture and being a fan of things, cosplay, etc, is mainstream. Comic books and superheroes are mainstream culture, not at the fringes.

True enough, although I remember being a Star Wars fan was somehow quite cool in the mid 90s, not any more though- it's gone back to geeky.
    Obviously Bond was always bigger than that, and always mainstream. But the general viewpoint among the people I hung out with from 1990 till CR generally all thought Bond was rubbish.

Fair enough; I've not really experienced that. Most of my friends and people I know have always seemed to like it, although not as much as me of course. With some exceptions, naturally.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Since62 wrote: »
    Many younger folks find many of the pre-Craig Bond films to be corny, predictable, sexist and even "rapey" at times.

Yes I think that's true: for a lot of people the Craig films are the only Bond films they find to their taste. Nothing wrong with that, and I think it shows that EON were rather canny to change direction and appeal to a new generation.
    I am probably a couple of years older than you. My mother snuck me into see LTK when I was 13. I was quite tall so could get away with it. Lethal Weapon 2 was a 15 on the cinema and went to see that too in the same year (18 on video from what I recall).

I had the Fact File, but really that was nothing on Sally Hibben's book that came out with TLD. I used to read that book religiously every night when I was 11 haha.

By the time I was going to college at 16 Bond for most people there seemed like a distant memory. It wasn't on TV every night of the week back then, remember. It was more of an event when one was on tele.