NO TIME TO DIE (2021) - Critical Reaction and Box Office Performance

Comments

• matt_umatt_u better known as Mr. Roark
    Let’s see what happens. By November the disease will spread faster and hit harder since it’s a coronavirus we’re talking about, and we never faced a Covid winter before. Nothing is set in stone, neither after the film comes out.
  • edited September 2020 Posts: 348
    If my only option is buying it on DVD in Christmas, I lose all interest in the film. It was my most hyped film for 2020. Almost everything else in my top 10 anticipated films has been delayed to 2021. I quite frankly have zero interest in NTTD if my only option remaining is to watch it at home directly on Blu Ray or Netflix/whatever.
    How does that affect that your interest in the film? You're still a Bond fan after all. It was my most hyped film for 2020 as well but I'll still be happy to see it however I see it.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited September 2020 Posts: 15,690
    If my only option is buying it on DVD in Christmas, I lose all interest in the film. It was my most hyped film for 2020. Almost everything else in my top 10 anticipated films has been delayed to 2021. I quite frankly have zero interest in NTTD if my only option remaining is to watch it at home directly on Blu Ray or Netflix/whatever.
    How does that affect that your interest in the film? You're still a Bond fan after all. It was my most hyped film for 2020 as well but I'll still be happy to see it however I see it.

I already explained myself. I do not care about discovering a new Bond film straight on PVOD, VOD, Blu Ray or TV. If it isn't released in cinemas, I will be skipping NTTD and will watch B26 in theaters instead.

And I believe I was already told I was not a true Bond fan for wanting the film to be delayed.

For me, at least, everything will have been spoiled. Even if it does stay on course, I have a full time job and two young toddlers and every theater in my state is still closed with no plans to reopen any time soon. Its out of the question to drive across state lines for just one movie. Its the internet. I will know things about the movie I dont wish to know whether it be here, Twitter, Facebook, other boards. It ruins the experience.
  • matt_u wrote: »

At least the longest running franchise ever will always be remembered as the one who saved the industry too, in its darkest hour. *being sarcastic

Pardon me asking, but why the sarcasm? The whole "saved the industry" myth sounds like just the sort of thing Hollywood is built on. It makes Bond into the ultimate movie hero. How is that a bad thing?
  • MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython “Baja?!”
    If NTTD were to come out RIGHT NOW, it might have a better chance of saving cinemas than in November.
  • I already explained myself. I do not care about discovering a new Bond film straight on PVOD, VOD, Blu Ray or TV. If it isn't released in cinemas, I will be skipping NTTD and will watch B26 in theaters instead.
    Your loss then. I discovered most all of the films prior to DAD on TV and video when I was 9 - 10 years old but that didn't lesser my opinion of them because I hadn't seen them on the big screen. You're denying an experience for yourself either way by doing that.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    I discovered most all of the films prior to DAD on TV and video when I was 9 - 10 years old but that didn't lesser my opinion of them because I hadn't seen them on the big screen. You're denying an experience for yourself either way by doing that.

I have zero idea what you are talking about. I re-read it twice, I still don't understand what you are trying to say.

Did you have a time-machine to watch the Connery films in theaters?
    Sorry for the double post but I find it legitimately disturbing how those who were adamant NTTD would never be delayed from its November release are now attacking those who will not be able to see it in November.

I will repeat again so these members can understand it clearly: If I cannot see NTTD in theaters, I refuse to watch it at home. This is not a reactionary decision: I very much don't care about NTTD if it skips a theatrical release. I couldn't care less about discovering a new Bond film at home when I am old enough to see it in theaters. I prefer to give my time and money to films that do open in theaters. Those big budget ones that warrant a big screen experience. Like Bond should.

I will be there day 1 for Bond 26 in any case.
  • Unless EON/Universal are incredibly stupid, they'll move NTTD to 2021. Losing $50 million on marketing is nothing compared to potentially flushing $600-900 million directly down the drain.

Let me put it another way. If Mulan was such a hit, why are Disney being so coy with the numbers? Why did they just move Black Widow back a full year instead of also doing a simultaneous VOD and Theatrical release this year?
  • matt_umatt_u better known as Mr. Roark
    matt_u wrote: »

At least the longest running franchise ever will always be remembered as the one who saved the industry too, in its darkest hour. *being sarcastic

Pardon me asking, but why the sarcasm? The whole "saved the industry" myth sounds like just the sort of thing Hollywood is built on. It makes Bond into the ultimate movie hero. How is that a bad thing?

Wasn’t Nolan the savior of the industry? No, because people are not interested in goin to the movies these times, even if theaters are “open”. Not enough people is in to let Bond (or whatever other kamikaze) saving the industry. That’s the point... well, my point!
  • I will repeat again so these members can understand it clearly: If I cannot see NTTD in theaters, I refuse to watch it at home. This is not a reactionary decision: I very much don't care about NTTD if it skips a theatrical release. I couldn't care less about discovering a new Bond film at home when I am old enough to see it in theaters. I prefer to give my time and money to films that do open in theaters. Those big budget ones that warrant a big screen experience. Like Bond should.
    I agree that Bond warrants a big screen experience. I want to experience NTTD and all future Bond films for the first time in cinemas as well. I don't understand why you're boycotting the film if you can't see it in cinemas. Are you only interested in seeing NTTD if you're able to watch it in cinemas? If that's the case, it doesn't sound like you're interested in the film beyond the big screen experience anyway.
  • edited September 2020 Posts: 3,564
    I discovered most all of the films prior to DAD on TV and video when I was 9 - 10 years old but that didn't lesser my opinion of them because I hadn't seen them on the big screen. You're denying an experience for yourself either way by doing that.

I have zero idea what you are talking about. I re-read it twice, I still don't understand what you are trying to say.

Did you have a time-machine to watch the Connery films in theaters?

I think the point RJMP is trying to make is fairly clear. If you're insisting on "My Way or the Highway" regardless of the specifics, you're painting yourself into a corner. Best to keep your options open.

I saw (four of the six) Connery films in theaters in the 60s and I discovered Bond on my parents' B&W television at that time. Commercials for Bond products and films seemed so cool I just HAD to see the movies themselves. I initially resisted seeing OHMSS, LALD and TMWTGG because only Connery could be Bond in my eyes at that time. Thankfully, I got over that prejudice. If the only way that is open for me to see NTTD in first run is on a (much better) television at home then I'll happily take that route and be only too grateful to pass the popcorn. Or, what the heck, I'll have what HE'S drinking -- hold the fruit.
  • edited September 2020 Posts: 440
    If the last 6 months have taught us anything, it's that any attempt to release a US blockbuster is doomed to failure until a COVID vaccine is introduced. A full theatrical run is still the only way to make a profit.

VOD didn't work. Socially distanced theatrical-only didn't work. VOD and socially distanced theatrical didn't work. I mean, there's nothing reallly left to prove at this point. Pretty much every major movie has rightfully conceded and moved to 2021/2022.
    [Are you only interested in seeing NTTD if you're able to watch it in cinemas? If that's the case, it doesn't sound like you're interested in the film beyond the big screen experience anyway.

Again, I have zero idea what you mean by this.
    I think the point RJMP is trying to make is fairly clear. If you're insisting on "My Way or the Highway" regardless of the specifics, you're painting yourself into a corner. Best to keep your options open.

The only painting themselves in a corner is EON. If they are hellbent on releasing the film in November, they are in for a very nasty surprise.

Still, very interesting to see those who were complaining about the USA being responsible for the delays and the lack of films in theaters, are now responsible for others not being able to watch their favorite film franchise on the big screen.

It is like some are being totally oblivious to the fact that NTTD being delayed to 2021 could be the only option for certain Bond fans to see the film in the big screen. SP is already 5 years old, is it really that hard to wait an extra few months?
    The only painting themselves in a corner is EON. If they are hellbent on releasing the film in November, they are in for a very nasty surprise.

Still, very interesting to see those who were complaining about the USA being responsible for the delays and the lack of films in theaters, are now responsible for others not being able to watch their favorite film franchise on the big screen.

It is like some are being totally oblivious to the fact that NTTD being delayed to 2021 could be the only option for certain Bond fans to see the film in the big screen. SP is already 5 years old, is it really that hard to wait an extra few months?

The cycle this year has been;

1) Major movie studio puts out a potential blockbuster on VOD.
    2) After it is released, the studio puts out a press notice talking about how well it did.
    3) After weeks and weeks of no actual numbers, the studio pushes all of its remaining blockbusters back.

I mean, you don't have to be a data analyst to figure out what's going on.
  • If NTTD were to come out RIGHT NOW, it might have a better chance of saving cinemas than in November.

Impatient much? That's okay, so am I -- but I'd rather see it in November than sometime in 2021. Or 2022. Or whenever the climate is good for billion dollar blockbusters once again.

Oh? And what if the only venue left for the release of new films at that point is PVOD? Will you be skipping B25 altogether but waiting patiently for B26?
  • Again, I have zero idea what you mean by this.
    I mean, as in, do you have no interest in NTTD as a Bond film apart from watching it on the big screen? Is the big screen experience the only aspect that appeals to you?

Oh? And what if the only venue left for the release of new films at that point is PVOD? Will you be skipping B25 altogether but waiting patiently for B26?

Yes - as that means the film will not have been made for the big screen experience.
    Impatient much? That's okay, so am I -- but I'd rather see it in November than sometime in 2021. Or 2022. Or whenever the climate is good for billion dollar blockbusters once again.

How hard is it to understand - it's either October or 2021. It is not about being impatient, it is about a global pandemic that is getting out of control and about November is likely to be worst month to release a big-budget film.

Wasn’t Nolan the savior of the industry? No, because people are not interested in goin to the movies these times, even if theaters are “open”. Not enough people is in to let Bond (or whatever other kamikaze) saving the industry. That’s the point... well, my point!

To be fair, Bond could be a much bigger draw than Nolan, who's popularity has been waning over the years. His Batman days are far behind him.
  • I think the point RJMP is trying to make is fairly clear. If you're insisting on "My Way or the Highway" regardless of the specifics, you're painting yourself into a corner. Best to keep your options open.

There is a difference between warning one against undesired consequences -- and rooting FOR those very nasty consequences. I wonder if you realize how close you are to sounding like you're rooting FOR those nasty consequences? I want nothing but the best for Eon, MGM, and all those associated with the Bond franchise, whether or not they see the wisdom of bowing to my every demand. Can you say the same?

There is a difference between warning one against undesired consequences -- and rooting FOR those very nasty consequences. I wonder if you realize how close you are to sounding like you're rooting FOR those nasty consequences? I want nothing but the best for Eon, MGM, and all those associated with the Bond franchise, whether or not they see the wisdom of bowing to my every demand. Can you say the same?

I am rooting against NTTD and EON? I've been saying for the whole of 2019 (pre-pandemic) that B25 would join the $1 billion club. If you want to attack those who are actually rooting for nasty consequences, go point your fingers at @Mendes4Lyfe. You know, the person who only posts about Craig ruining the franchise and that Aiden Turner should be the new Bond.

The final thing I'll say on this matter: It is very sad to see some members show their true colours in this current situation. Asking for the films to be delayed because I won't be able to see it in theaters apparently means I am unworthy of being a Bond fan. It was already sad to see certain members fall into the fake-news phenomenon about Covid-19. Now we have certain members attacking others because they want to see the film in theaters, as it was intended to be seen, and a delay is the only way of making that happen. Or maybe you have money at stake on a November release, hence you hostile reaction to my posts.

I am rooting against NTTD and EON? I've been saying for the whole of 2019 (pre-pandemic) that B25 would join the $1 billion club. If you want to attack those who are actually rooting for nasty consequences, go point your fingers at @Mendes4Lyfe. You know, the person who only posts about Craig ruining the franchise and that Aiden Turner should be the new Bond.

The final thing I'll say on this matter: It is very sad to see some members show their true colours in this current situation. Asking for the films to be delayed because I won't be able to see it in theaters apparently means I am unworthy of being a Bond fan. It was already sad to see certain members fall into the fake-news phenomenon about Covid-19. Now we have certain members attacking others because they want to see the film in theaters, as it was intended to be seen, and a delay is the only way of making that happen. Or maybe you have money at stake on a November release, hence you hostile reaction to my posts.

It's entirely within Eon's best interests to delay the movie and hopefully, they will. Whatever money they may lose on marketing is nothing compared to what will happen if the movie comes out this year.
    I hope NTTD comes out in November for theaters sake.Pandemic or no pandemic,without these big blockbuster movies coming out,theaters will not survive.

Besides that,i have no problem watching NTTD at home because i have a kick ass home cinema.I never saw any of the pre Brosnan Bonds in thew cinema and that didnt prevent me from becoming a massive fan of the franchise when i saw them on tv as a little kid.

To say one has no interest in seeing the film besides the cinema is ridiculous.
  • RedNineRedNine Poland

Agreed, crazy how some people on this forum are openly rooting for other people to have their entertainment spoiled simply because they won't be able to join in, truely childish behaviour
    Hey folks, people just have their preferences, let’s not be weirdos over them.
  • There might not be anything at all that can save cinemas at this point.

By “saving” I mean a film which removes all the cinema chains’ money worries, so that they largely return to normal. That sort of saving isn’t going to happen.

Even if NTTD does better than Tenet, all it will do is ease the pressure on cinemas’ cashflows for a few weeks. All NTTD will do even if successful is kick the can down the road a while.

A few weeks after release the income from NTTD will have dried up and cinemas will be back to where they were, on the brink of insolvency.

The only thing that can truly save cinemas as a proper economic sector is a vaccine.

No vaccine, no cinemas.

No vaccine, no cinematic B26. A made-for-TV B26 possibly, but not a big screen one.
    AstonLotus wrote: »
    I hope NTTD comes out in November for theaters sake.Pandemic or no pandemic,without these big blockbuster movies coming out,theaters will not survive.
    AstonLotus wrote: »
    To say one has no interest in seeing the film besides the cinema is ridiculous.

How about you stop contradicting yourself?

You want NTTD in theaters to save cinemas? DELAY IT. If it comes out in November, those countries where cinemas are closed will be done for. So how about you delay NTTD so it can save all cinemas around the world at the same time. And also so that every Bond fan can enjoy the film in cinemas at the same time. You don't get exclusivity on enjoying the new Bond film for some random reason.

I want theaters to be saved. The only way to do that is to delay the film. The pandemic is getting out of control in France. So unless NTTD is pushed forward October*, it needs to be delayed.

Or are you so selfish that you only care about NTTD saving your local theater? If that is the case, the only ridiculous person here is you. But you've already proven that many times before.

But it is quite amusing to see how some members truly are. "*I* get to see NTTD in theaters, but for those who can't, tough luck! *I* refuse to have the film delayed so that everyone can enjoy the new Bond film in the same conditions." I almost wish NTTD bombs so hard so these members finally understand how stupid it is to release a big budget film during a pandemic when several big box office markets are closed. And I hope it teaches them a lesson to be so insulting & selfish towards those who happen to live in the closed markets.

* I hope @BeatlesSansEarmuffs doesn't accuse me of being impatient: coronavirus will not magically get under control a week before November 11th. So either release NTTD in October or delay it.

People want NTTD to save cinemas yet they could not give a crap about delaying the film so that all cinemas can be saved. SP was released 5 years ago already, and certain members cannot even wait a few more months so everyone can see it in theaters. THAT is the truly selfish & ridiculous behaviour here. But they are so far down the 'NTTD cannot be delayed!!' route that they fail to see they have been proven wrong, and that their line of thinking will do more harm than good.
  • edited September 2020 Posts: 850
    Cinemas are still opens in France territory.

Personally I don't care to see it in cinemas : I be rather at home, with no people who do noise like by eating popcorn & with no mask that prevent me to see what on the screen cause the mist on the glasses. And the fact I could see it unlimited times, pause the movie to go toilet, pause the movie to analyse a shoot.

Beside the fact I had waited for too long and the fact a a realease on demand, not mean that it will not be projected in cinema too for the ones who want experience it in cinemas first. Whatch NTTD at home is better to not watch it all.

Delay it cause the second vawe? For what?: Delaying it again when the 3rd, 4th, 5th waves will come in 2021 and still not see it?
  • Some people are hoping that the film is delayed until November next year. In that case, that's a whole year, not just 4 / 5 / 6 months later - and even then things could be the same as they are now, so what happens then? 2022 and beyond?

My suggestion:
    Release the film in cinemas for a selected time in selected regions, while at the same time releasing it in on VOD for regions whose cinemas are largely shut down. Then globally release it on VOD, DVD and Blu-ray simultaneously. After some time passes, maybe then give it another run in cinemas - this time including the regions / countries that were largely shut down before (if they've reopened by this point of course).

If this process starts in early 2022 and takes place gradually over the course of the year, I think that's a way to include all options while making sure that a further substantial delay isn't necessary.