R.I.P. A Final Farewell To Members Of The James Bond Family

Comments

• DraxCucumberSandwichDraxCucumberSandwich United Kingdom
    RIP Michael Lonsdale. Magnificent in every part that I’ve seen him play, and his Drax is my favourite of all Bond movie villains
  • edited September 2020 Posts: 1,639

Met him 5 yrs ago in Lon , like Rigg he obly did 1 con , he certainly was low key and modest , no "celebrity , look at me , im a STAR !" attitude.
    Only after he sgd the Mego did he notice it already said Drax on the box , he he
    Between signings he was sipping coffee , laidback

I saw OHMSS , MR & LTK in cinema less than a yr ago , now Rigg and Lonsdale are gone....hopefully mr Davi will have many yrs to come
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    R.I.P. Michael Lonsdale Drax is one of my favorite Bond Villain's, though I am a big fan of Moonraker despite its awkward moments.

Michael really did have an impressive output in Film, 89 is a good age I am in my mid 40's and many of the people I saw in film and TV when I was young are passing, I always choose to celebrate a persons life.

0e8c736b878f52677c1ebd656b0d9a4aY29udGVudHNlYXJjaCwxNjAwNzk0NDYw-2.20886070.jpg?width=640&auto=webp
    Like all great actors, he brought class in buckets. As mentioned, Ronin a perfect example. Very sad.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator

Cool design, @CatchingBullets! And a very fitting tribute to Michael Lonsdale. I very much appreciate your work as a MR fan.
  • CatchingBulletsCatchingBullets facebook.com/catchingbullets
    Thank you @DarthDimi !
  • DwayneDwayne New York City

Thanks for that post @CatchingBullets.

BTW: The space station from Moonraker was design by Harry Lange (1930 - 2008). Lange worked at NASA before moving into film design in the mid-1960s. His major credits include the first three Star Wars movies, “Superman II” as well as “2OO1: A Space Odyssey.”
  • DoctorKaufmannDoctorKaufmann Can shoot you from Stuttgart and still make it look like suicide.
    RIP Michael Lonsdale. "Can I press you to a cucumber sandwich?" is one of my favourite lines in MR.
    This has been one hard year for the Bond family. Michael Lonsdale was a superb villain. And he always had this intensity in every role he played. Memorable is the word.
  • wintandkiddfaroutwintandkiddfarout Australia
    R.I.P. Michael Lonsdale Drax is one of my favorite Bond Villain's, though I am a big fan of Moonraker despite its awkward moments.

Michael really did have an impressive output in Film, 89 is a good age I am in my mid 40's and many of the people I saw in film and TV when I was young are passing, I always choose to celebrate a persons life.

0e8c736b878f52677c1ebd656b0d9a4aY29udGVudHNlYXJjaCwxNjAwNzk0NDYw-2.20886070.jpg?width=640&auto=webp

To think all three of the men in this picture are now deceased. Richard Kiel looks like he's having fun playfully "strangling" Roger Moore in front of Michael Lonsdale.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!

To think all three of the men in this picture are now deceased. Richard Kiel looks like he's having fun playfully "strangling" Roger Moore in front of Michael Lonsdale.

It is a great photo always liked it. Alas many from that era have passed on. All three of them in the photo are immortalised that's for sure.
  • j_w_pepperj_w_pepper Born on the bayou. I can still hear my old hound dog barkin'.

I must admit I never thought of Michael Lonsdale being taller than Roger Moore, as it seems from this photo.
  • edited September 2020 Posts: 2,895
    Like Lois Chiles, Michael Lonsdale was ill-served by Moonraker--barely directed, both actors were low-key to the point of sleepiness. Only in the last act did he get a chance to give a glimpse of his talent. Lonsdale's appearance in a Bond film should not obscure the fact that he was a fixture of French film and TV for four decades. He appeared in films by some of the greatest French directors: Truffaut (The Bride Wore Black and Stolen Kisses), Jacques Rivette (Out 1), Alain Resnais (Stavisky), and the anglo-transplant Joseph Losey (Mr. Klein).

He also makes a brief but very memorable appearance in Luis Buñuel's The Phantom of Liberty. It involves assless pants...
  • DraxCucumberSandwichDraxCucumberSandwich United Kingdom
    RIP Arthur Wooster. I can’t begin to express how much fun and excitement I still feel in watching the stunts and action scenes he so brilliantly captured as 2nd and additional unit director on Bond films in the 80s and 90s. Amazing work
    RIP to Mr Lonsdale.Drax was one of my favourite Bond villains.
    RIP to all of our recent Bond family members. Thoughts and prayers to all the families and friends.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited October 2020 Posts: 14,927
    Sadly it seems that Margaret Nolan has passed away. Known best for being the golden girl in the iconic opening titles to Goldfinger and also Dink in the movie too.

• Tokoloshe2Tokoloshe2 Northern Ireland
    That's four of the five female actresses from "Goldfinger" who have died inside eighteen months, following on from Tania Mallet, Nadja Regin and Honor Blackman. Only Shirley Eaton (who was covered in gold paint for the film itself) remaining.
    Damn.
    @ToTheRight. My reaction as well.

There is an excellent summary of Ms. Nolan’s career by Edgar Wright on his twitter account. While her film/TV career extended beyond the bit roles in “Goldfinger” and “A Hard Day’s Night”, she’ll be forever fixed in my thoughts for those two films.

RIP.
    Dwayne wrote: »
    @ToTheRight. My reaction as well.

There is an excellent summary of Ms. Nolan’s career by Edgar Wright on his twitter account. While her film/TV career extended beyond the bit roles in “Goldfinger” and “A Hard Day’s Night”, she’ll be forever fixed in my thoughts for those two films.

RIP.

I forgot she was in both of those 1964 classics. Do you recall what other actor was in both?
    @BT3366. Richard Vernon played Colonel Smithers in "Goldfinger". In "A Hard Day's Night" he played the man on the train that gets into it with the Beatles - "I fought the war for your sort..."

The "Le Cercle" scene in AHDN also has a Bond connection (see Dr. No). Another item: Ms. Nolan also had roles in "Steptoe and Son", which also starred "Paul's Grandfather -
    Wilfrid Brambell.
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    edited October 2020 Posts: 14,862
    Nothing anywhere else about Margaret Nolan.
    I saw a post on this last week on Facebook, but it turned out to be false.

Edit - That’s bizarre, last week there was a false claim of her passing. Though this week sadly it appears to be true. A small but memorable role in Goldfinger, and of course. The golden girl in the opening credits.
    RIP Margaret Nolan

edited October 2020 Posts: 23,265
    R.I.P. Margaret Nolan I have watched many TV shows and films she featured in over the years.

pmn-thesaint02.jpg
    Great photo with Sir Roger (from The Saint)
  • MJH1973MJH1973 North West, UK
    RIP Ms Nolan
  • ResurrectionResurrection Kolkata, India
    edited October 2020 Posts: 2,541
    RIP Margaret, another member of the family is gone. 2020 turning to be worst year for us fans. :(
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    I saw that Facebook post as well, @Benny. Bizarre that it is now true.

She also made some memorable appearance in the Carry On films.

RIP Margaret Nolan
  • Tokoloshe2Tokoloshe2 Northern Ireland
    She died on 5th October, so I'd guess someone knew at the time and posted it -- then perhaps decided it was too early to announce it.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Benny wrote: »
    Nothing anywhere else about Margaret Nolan.
    I saw a post on this last week on Facebook, but it turned out to be false.

Edit - That’s bizarre, last week there was a false claim of her passing. Though this week sadly it appears to be true. A small but memorable role in Goldfinger, and of course. The golden girl in the opening credits.
    RIP Margaret Nolan

Edgar Wright has been working with her recently and knew her personally so he's unlikely to be mistaken.