Who should/could be a Bond actor?

Comments

• suavejmfsuavejmf Harrogate, North Yorkshire, England
    GadgetMan wrote: »
    its actually criminal that fassbender could never play bond. I reckon he could have been the best one ever.

Yeah, anytime I watch X-Men: First Class, he just screams JAMES BOND. As if Director Matthew Vaughn was directing his Bond audition, coz obviously, Vaughn is a Bond fan. Even Fassbender's Magneto theme tune by Henry Jackman, has a Bondian feel to it. But it's obviously not possible for Fassbender anymore.

After watching Layer Cake, I thought Vaughn could be a great candidate to direct Bond....then I watched ‘Kingsmen’ and changed my mind.

Fassbender is certainly worth a screen test and is certainly a viable candidate IMO. Despite age.
    mtm wrote: »
    Risico007 wrote: »
    Univex wrote: »
    He was also quite good in the episode of Poirot I watched the other night :D

Wait, what? Which one?

Edit: Oh, After the Funeral (S10E3). Nice one. I'd forgotten about that.

6d51e9045fedba9e44bb651e169fb332.gif

Which they'd cast David Suchet as someone in a Bond film, anyone really. I love him.

He was rumored to be M in 2006

Must say I don’t remember that. He’d have been rather fine playing M, yes.

https://mi6-hq.com/news/index.php?itemid=2956

Sadly it wasn’t to be if I could pick which role I would say M would be better then Le Chiffre but that is largely due to Dench really shouldn’t of stuck around post reboot

Ah, I reckon if either it would probably have been Le Chiffre they were looking to him to do. I guess they just decided to go in a different direction, maybe someone who looked like they could compete with Craig.

He did get to play a Bond villain on the radio opposite Toby Stephens’ Bond of course. Was he Dr No?

Wow. Suchet could have been a great novel inspired version of Le Chiffre.
  • GadgetManGadgetMan Lagos, Nigeria
    suavejmf wrote: »
    its actually criminal that fassbender could never play bond. I reckon he could have been the best one ever.

Yeah, anytime I watch X-Men: First Class, he just screams JAMES BOND. As if Director Matthew Vaughn was directing his Bond audition, coz obviously, Vaughn is a Bond fan. Even Fassbender's Magneto theme tune by Henry Jackman, has a Bondian feel to it. But it's obviously not possible for Fassbender anymore.

After watching Layer Cake, I thought Vaughn could be a great candidate to direct Bond....then I watched ‘Kingsmen’ and changed my mind.

Fassbender is certainly worth a screen test and is certainly a viable candidate IMO. Despite age.

Yeah. The first Kingsmen was very cool, even if it was outlandish. The second one made doubt Vaughn's Bond credentials....as it was too cartoonish. And sure, Fassbender is obviously Bondian....but I think his stardom is the hurdle.

• ResurrectionResurrection Kolkata, India

Fassbender could have been the best bond, given the right script. The guy was born to play bond.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Dylan Jones of GQ is reporting that Hardy has been cast... seems like more than just a rumour from a fairly reputable source. Hopefully the publication provides more info at some point.
    On @britishgq on Instagram

I see he says ‘reportedly been cast’ which makes it sound like he’s just reporting on the rumour rather than having any new information by the sounds of it.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom

Wait, what? Which one?

Which they'd cast David Suchet as someone in a Bond film, anyone really. I love him.

Sadly it wasn’t to be if I could pick which role I would say M would be better then Le Chiffre but that is largely due to Dench really shouldn’t of stuck around post reboot

Ah, I reckon if either it would probably have been Le Chiffre they were looking to him to do. I guess they just decided to go in a different direction, maybe someone who looked like they could compete with Craig.

He did get to play a Bond villain on the radio opposite Toby Stephens’ Bond of course. Was he Dr No?

Yeah he’s certainly easy to imagine him giving a Peter Lorre-style performance. I wasn’t unhappy with Mikkleson at all though so I don’t think we lost out.
    There’s perhaps a possibility that his lineage might have made the money-seeking Le Chiffre look like an unpleasant stereotype too..? They may have been sensitive to that.

Apologies for double post, on my phone.
    edited September 2020 Posts: 5,131

Wait, what? Which one?

Yeah he’s certainly easy to imagine him giving a Peter Lorre-style performance. I wasn’t unhappy with Mikkleson at all though so I don’t think we lost out.
    There’s perhaps a possibility that his lineage might have made the money-seeking Le Chiffre look like an unpleasant stereotype too..? They may have been sensitive to that.

Apologies for double post, on my phone.

Yes. Exactly. I agree with all your points there.

Mikkleson/ Le Chiffre is the best Bond villain of the Craig era by a long way IMO.
  • sandbagger1sandbagger1 Sussex
    I still don't believe Hardy has been cast as Bond - he's certainly in the right heavyweight actor class that I think they want, but he's a little too old, he's a little too loose-cannon, and regardless of the actor, I'm not convinced that they would finalise a deal before the new film is out.

I would prefer him to, say, Richard Madden or James Norton, though.

Wait, what? Which one?

Wasn't he also rumored to play Le Chiffre? He does have the right look for either, but I'd rather have had him as a villain.
  • imranbecksimranbecks Singapore
    edited September 2020 Posts: 972
    Tom Hardy? He is everywhere in the news and they're all saying he is replacing Craig. It's definitely more than just a rumour :-?

He isn't my first choice though.

50367539282_5e0c605dbd_b.jpg
    50367539317_721edd535a_o.jpg
    50366683558_2d0f35f73e_o.jpg
    I'm not convinced that they would finalise a deal before the new film is out.

I would prefer him to, say, Richard Madden or James Norton, though.
    My thoughts exactly. And I definitely would prefer Richard Madden.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited September 2020 Posts: 14,861
    I would say it is just a rumour, in that it’s all coming from only one source that I’ve seen so far.
    Doesn’t mean it’s impossible, but seems unlikely.
    They wouldn't do that to Daniel Craig. They're just concentrated on getting NTTD out and celebrate Craig's films. They don't even know how things will pan out in short term so it's preposterous to think they're already moving along with someone like Hardy.

Right now, the world is in check, and change will come wether we like it or not. It's very hard to predict things for the next couple of years.

This is just click bait and fake news. The so called "media" is a mediocre means of getting your facts right nowadays, unfortunately.

Oh well, we'll see.
    Dylan Jones of GQ is reporting that Hardy has been cast... seems like more than just a rumour from a fairly reputable source. Hopefully the publication provides more info at some point.

Well this is unexpected

Look if Hardy is the new 007 I will be happy and I hope others give him a chance...

And to be honest if it winds up being Turner or any of the white actors mentioned. I will give it a shot ...

That being said I kind of hope it is Hardy
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom

Well this is unexpected

Look if Hardy is the new 007 I will be happy and I hope others give him a chance...

And to be honest if it winds up being Turner or any of the white actors mentioned. I will give it a shot ...

As I said, GQ is just reporting on the rumours, it hasn’t said it’s heard that it’s true.
  • edited September 2020 Posts: 6,665
    I would say it is just a rumour, in that it’s all coming from only one source that I’ve seen so far.
    Exactly.

Well this is unexpected

I would of course, give the man a chance, even though I'm a strong opposer of his casting. But I would reserve judgement, definitely.
    I personally think Hardy would be an excellent Bond. They need a very strong actor to match Craig. Also, he's an international star with a strong fan base, so MGM and Universal would feel they were in safe hands.
  • ResurrectionResurrection Kolkata, India
    ColonelSun wrote: »
    I personally think Hardy would be an excellent Bond. They need a very strong actor to match Craig. Also, he's an international star with a strong fan base, so MGM and Universal would feel they were in safe hands.

If they are choosing Hardy for Cinematic bond without much personal story, then i will be Happy.
  • MSL49MSL49 Finland
    Madden remind's me little bit of Brosnan.

If they are choosing Hardy for Cinematic bond without much personal story, then i will be Happy.

Agreed

If you mean abandoning the inner life which has been central to the Craig era (and we originally had that with OHMSS as well), I suspect that won't be the case, firstly because we are in an era in which characters are more deeply explored now, secondly, because Hardy is a very strong actor who, even playing Mad Max with few words, conveys a lot of inner life.

• edited September 2020 Posts: 6,665
    Tom Hardy won't be Bond. Or I'll eat my hat.

Besides, we all knew that, come October, or whenever, as we near the film's release and the more the tagline "Daniel Craig's last film as James Bond" is used, the tabloids and general press will be filled with clickbait and such. As ever, many people will claim to know or to have heard something. It's always been like this, and now, in the fake news era, in the global web of social spiders unnatural world we live in, it's gonna get worse.
  • edited September 2020 Posts: 928

Besides, we all knew that, come October, or whenever, as we near the film's release and the more the tagline "Daniel Craig's last film as James Bond" is used, the tabloids and general press will be filled with clickbait and such. As ever, many people will claim to know or to have heard something. It's always been like this, and now, in the fake news era, in the global web of social spiders unnatural world we live in, it's gonna get worse.

That's inevitable.. and especially in this day and age. People need distractions, entertainment reporters need to keep their employment, yellow rags and advertisers need clicks. So let's all get ready for a barrage of casting "news."

Hmm, I'm not so sure. Even if the rumour is BS, I am certain Hardy is high on the list. The competition Bond faces now is even tougher than when Craig took on the role in 2006. Marvel dominates. Other franchises, like MI, are fronted by A-list stars. My feeling is that, with the competition so high, as well as the huge $200+ budgets, MGM will be nervous about going with an up-and-comer, and will want an actor who already has an international name and fan following, plus has the proven acting ability and star charisma to carry a huge franchise.

Exactly.

Hmm, I'm not so sure. Even if the rumour is BS, I am certain Hardy is high on the list. The competition Bond faces now is even tougher than when Craig took on the role in 2006. Marvel dominates. Other franchises, like MI, are fronted by A-list stars. My feeling is that, with the competition so high, as well as the huge $200+ budgets, MGM will be nervous about going with an up-and-comer, and will want an actor who already has an international name and fan following, plus has the proven acting ability and star charisma to carry a huge franchise.

I agree but still there are a few actors who would fit this

Hardy, Fassbender, Hiddleston etc

Yes, but there are not many actors who fit the bill and the part. Fassbender has been quoted of saying he wouldn't do it. Hiddleston would, IMO, be a miscast, and he also publicly overplayed his hand when the press rumoured he was up for Bond - a big no, no with Eon. My money is Hardy is the front runner, regardless of rumours.

Yes, but there are not many actors who fit the bill and the part. Fassbender has been quoted of saying he wouldn't do it. Hiddleston would, IMO, be a miscast, and he also publicly overplayed his hand when the press rumoured he was up for Bond - a big no, no with Eon. My money is Hardy is the front runner, regardless of rumours.

I wouldn't go banco on it but i would enjoy Hardy

a fun fan trailer i found with Hardy as 007

I wouldn't go banco on it but i would enjoy Hardy

a fun fan trailer i found with Hardy as 007

Ha, thx. Now having seen that fun trailer, I think I will go banco on it.

one made by our own Jakenumber 25
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    edited September 2020 Posts: 5,834
    I still think Sam Claflin is one to keep an eye on.

barbour-supa-beaufort-wax-mwx1691ny92-2.jpg
    waMTky.jpg
    Sam-Claflin-in-Journeys-End.jpg