Who should/could be a Bond actor?

Comments

• GadgetManGadgetMan Lagos, Nigeria
    Univex wrote: »
    GadgetMan wrote: »
    Both of those guys have the eyebrows. And it would take a thespian like Craig to win it without eyebrows. So I'd say play it safe and go with these eyebrow fellas.

;)

Lol, sure, Cullen and Turner definitely look the part. But I was wondering what's really wrong with Callum Turner? Coz He really does have that Hoagy Carmichael look though.

I think he has it too. Probably more close to what Fleming conjured in his head. I wouldn't be against it.

Yeah, Callum has that Old English look.
    Both of those guys have the eyebrows. And it would take a thespian like Craig to win it without eyebrows. So I'd say play it safe and go with these eyebrow fellas.

;)

Lol, sure, Cullen and Turner definitely look the part. But I was wondering what's really wrong with Callum Turner? Coz He really does have that Hoagy Carmichael look though.

I think he has it too. Probably more close to what Fleming conjured in his head. I wouldn't be against it.

Yeah, Callum has that Old English look.

I get what you mean. Really do.
    Denbigh wrote: »
    We're in a world now where a British person working for the secret service could be from any ethnic background. But again I'll stress that I understand the desire for a more classic actor.

That is absolutely true, my friend.

But...

JAMES BOND is a literary well described character. Why go against the author and the depiction of his character in a blatant diametrical opposite way? Why do that unless you have some sort of agenda or a fundamental disrespect for intelectual property?

Want other British agents with different ethnic backgrounds? Cool I'm all for that. But James Bond is intelectual property and must be respected for it. And don't come knocking with Daniel Craig's or Moore's different hair colour. Let's not compare slight and small phenotypical details to an overall change in race. That'd be ludicrous. And we've been there already in this joke of a thread.

It's not a desire for a more classic actor. It's not that. It's keeping it as close as we can to the original source. Who the hell wants a NON-Ian Fleming James Bond? I mean, why bother with that? Strip away everything from the character (and we know much stuff as gone by now to keep up with today's world and values), and we're left with something else entirely. And why do that?

If people like Ian Fleming's James Bond, why would they want to have something completely different with the name James Bond?

Frankly, this is beginning to be my problem, as I don't understand why someone would come to a forum dedicated to a franchise and a well established character to propose something completely different. Why waste your time with that?

This multi-verse, everything goes, spider-pig, Jane Bond, Black Bond stuff really doesn't interest me at all. I come here because I love James Bond as its always been. It's not that different from the 60s, bar a couple of moral stuff (which is fine). Why do you guys want something else entirely? Then by all means, why not create a topic or a forum to discuss the dismantling of characters. There you could very well have a go at Lucy Liu as John Watson, or Sherlock as a black man in the Victorian era, or all of those things people love to do with franchises for lack of imagination and fresh creativity.

Meanwhile, I'll keep repeating these thoughts from time to time, just because I'd hate to think the world is solely in the hands of this new gen everything goes, pc, faux liberal, facist, I-have-either-authority-problems-or-I've-been-spoiled-beyond-measure kids on the block. And heck, if someone was offended by that, than I guess the shoe fitted, and hopefully, not only on your foot.

Cheers

PS: The rant wasn't at all meant for you, @Denbigh my friend, just open your eyes and don't let yourself be fooled. PPS: I liked seeing Callum in a suit. I see some potential there.

Not only that but an additional issue (unless they reboot every time there is a new actor now) lends credibility to that stupid James Bond code name theory .

My thought is if Fassbender was cast tomorrow in The Hildebrand Rarity M could make mention to the event of No Time to die or skyfall and we all would know ok they are the same character just different actors you can’t really do that of John Boyegna is 007
    Yeah. Cullen is very conneryesque @Univex

Right now, it's Luke Evans/Aidan Turner/Tom Cullen for me. One of the three would do :)

EDIT: Bloody hell, still on Knightfall's first episode and damn, how aren't we talking more about this Cullen fellow? He's down right Conneryesque most of the time. Guy's got eyebrows, presence, the voice,... I'm almost putting him first place on that list.

0b9f6eaf17ff99fcbd432e909f7a2c5c.png

wills81JPG.jpg

On pics alone: first one I can't see it, but on the second yes, I could.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    edited September 2020 Posts: 5,869
    Risico007 wrote: »
    We're in a world now where a British person working for the secret service could be from any ethnic background. But again I'll stress that I understand the desire for a more classic actor.

But...

JAMES BOND is a literary well described character. Why go against the author and the depiction of his character in a blatant diametrical opposite way? Why do that unless you have some sort of agenda or a fundamental disrespect for intelectual property?

Want other British agents with different ethnic backgrounds? Cool I'm all for that. But James Bond is intelectual property and must be respected for it. And don't come knocking with Daniel Craig's or Moore's different hair colour. Let's not compare slight and small phenotypical details to an overall change in race. That'd be ludicrous. And we've been there already in this joke of a thread.

It's not a desire for a more classic actor. It's not that. It's keeping it as close as we can to the original source. Who the hell wants a NON-Ian Fleming James Bond? I mean, why bother with that? Strip away everything from the character (and we know much stuff as gone by now to keep up with today's world and values), and we're left with something else entirely. And why do that?

If people like Ian Fleming's James Bond, why would they want to have something completely different with the name James Bond?

Frankly, this is beginning to be my problem, as I don't understand why someone would come to a forum dedicated to a franchise and a well established character to propose something completely different. Why waste your time with that?

This multi-verse, everything goes, spider-pig, Jane Bond, Black Bond stuff really doesn't interest me at all. I come here because I love James Bond as its always been. It's not that different from the 60s, bar a couple of moral stuff (which is fine). Why do you guys want something else entirely? Then by all means, why not create a topic or a forum to discuss the dismantling of characters. There you could very well have a go at Lucy Liu as John Watson, or Sherlock as a black man in the Victorian era, or all of those things people love to do with franchises for lack of imagination and fresh creativity.

Meanwhile, I'll keep repeating these thoughts from time to time, just because I'd hate to think the world is solely in the hands of this new gen everything goes, pc, faux liberal, facist, I-have-either-authority-problems-or-I've-been-spoiled-beyond-measure kids on the block. And heck, if someone was offended by that, than I guess the shoe fitted, and hopefully, not only on your foot.

Cheers

PS: The rant wasn't at all meant for you, @Denbigh my friend, just open your eyes and don't let yourself be fooled. PPS: I liked seeing Callum in a suit. I see some potential there.
    Not only that but an additional issue (unless they reboot every time there is a new actor now) lends credibility to that stupid James Bond code name theory .

My thought is if Fassbender was cast tomorrow in The Hildebrand Rarity M could make mention to the event of No Time to die or skyfall and we all would know ok they are the same character just different actors you can’t really do that of John Boyegna is 007
    They don't have to reboot every-time, but it makes the most sense to reboot after Craig because the narrative is so self enclosed, and then to carry that on without the same character development would be damning (in my opinion) to Craig and what he did. Also considering how No Time to Die is playing out, and based on the fact that I think Nomi will remain 007 by the end, it needs to rebooted.
    Yes, but it can be rebooted in that classical nonsensical way Bond films were always known for. A very English way, you know, just "carry on", KBO and such. That would be marvellous, even without recurring to the "this never happened to the other fellow" scenario.
  • iamurospiamurosp Belgrade, Serbia

But...

Cheers

My man! I also think of another British literary character that I think - the people who'd switch Bond's race or gender, wouldn't do for this one - Harry Potter! I highly doubt it anyone would cast a little Indian or Chinese as Harry! Or perhaps John Boyega could be a grown up Harry?! Yeah, I don't think so...
    Couldn't agree more with you, @Univex!
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    Yes, but it can be rebooted in that classical nonsensical way Bond films were always known for. A very English way, you know, just "carry on", KBO and such. That would be marvellous, even without recurring to the "this never happened to the other fellow" scenario.
    Exactly. It doesn't need to be an origin story, and I don't think that's what we're gonna get. It seems Hollywood has very much moved past all that, which will hopefully influence EON.
  • FatherValentineFatherValentine England

But...

Cheers

They don't have to reboot every-time, but it makes the most sense to reboot after Craig because the narrative is so self enclosed, and then to carry that on without the same character development would be damning (in my opinion) to Craig and what he did. Also considering how No Time to Die is playing out, and based on the fact that I think Nomi will remain 007 by the end, it needs to rebooted.

We have had this discussion before, but if Nomi is 007 at the end of NTTD then if they revert to Bond being 007 in the next film then some critics and cultural commentators, maybe even most of them, will consider it to be a backwards move. EON have shot themselves in the foot here and will incur the wrath of those who want to move on and see Bond finished. I came across an article yesterday that was basically making the case that if the series is going to continue then it should be with Nomi as the lead.

Of course, EON don't have to listen, and nor will they, but it does make it doubly harder to release a film where the public appetite for it is going to be deliberately targeted by those who want to push the progressive agenda.

Of course, we don't know how it will all pan out, but Bond traditionally couldn't be more opposed to the way that culture is viewed in the West at the moment. In many ways it has always faced this sort of criticism - even Fleming did - but it's hotter now that ever before.

For the record - other than I cannot stand the plot of NTTD and wish they had buried SP and never referred to it again, I have no issue with a black woman playing 007 in this particular narrative, it makes sense regarding what they appear to have planned for the storyline. But I do think they are playing a dangerous game.

I know people are ok with the superhero trope of having multiple variations of the character floating around at the same time, but personally I don't want that for Bond. If NTTD is the end of Bond as 007, then rebooting will just look like, to a lot of people, the franchise has gone backwards by having another white man playing the role.

Anyway, one thing this particular thread has taught me is that the options for who plays Bond in the future are an absolute shower. It's just a parade of those too old, too famous, too posh, too puny, and too young.

The future is not looking bright for me, I'm afraid.
  • edited September 2020 Posts: 88
    Yeah. Cullen is very conneryesque @Univex

Right now, it's Luke Evans/Aidan Turner/Tom Cullen for me. One of the three would do :)

EDIT: Bloody hell, still on Knightfall's first episode and damn, how aren't we talking more about this Cullen fellow? He's down right Conneryesque most of the time. Guy's got eyebrows, presence, the voice,... I'm almost putting him first place on that list.

0b9f6eaf17ff99fcbd432e909f7a2c5c.png

wills81JPG.jpg

I've mentioned him before. He has the look no doubt and he's a great actor. Could do very well in a screentest.
  • JeremyBondonJeremyBondon Seeking out odd jobs with Oddjob @Tangier
    Cullen looks quite standard to me, handsome yes, but I see guys like him almost daily. Quite a weak chin without the beard, too.

• A worthy candidate! I'm surprised to see Tom Cullen is only 35... thought he was a bit older. Like Aiden Turner, he needs to feature in some higher profile projects catered to an audience beyond the UK, like Richard Madden, Tom Hiddleston, James Norton, Henry Golding, and Dan Stevens have done (to varying degrees of success).
  • Denbigh wrote: »

But...

Cheers

We have had this discussion before, but if Nomi is 007 at the end of NTTD then if they revert to Bond being 007 in the next film then some critics and cultural commentators, maybe even most of them, will consider it to be a backwards move. EON have shot themselves in the foot here and will incur the wrath of those who want to move on and see Bond finished. I came across an article yesterday that was basically making the case that if the series is going to continue then it should be with Nomi as the lead.

Of course, EON don't have to listen, and nor will they, but it does make it doubly harder to release a film where the public appetite for it is going to be deliberately targeted by those who want to push the progressive agenda.

Of course, we don't know how it will all pan out, but Bond traditionally couldn't be more opposed to the way that culture is viewed in the West at the moment. In many ways it has always faced this sort of criticism - even Fleming did - but it's hotter now that ever before.

For the record - other than I cannot stand the plot of NTTD and wish they had buried SP and never referred to it again, I have no issue with a black woman playing 007 in this particular narrative, it makes sense regarding what they appear to have planned for the storyline. But I do think they are playing a dangerous game.

I know people are ok with the superhero trope of having multiple variations of the character floating around at the same time, but personally I don't want that for Bond. If NTTD is the end of Bond as 007, then rebooting will just look like, to a lot of people, the franchise has gone backwards by having another white man playing the role.

Anyway, one thing this particular thread has taught me is that the options for who plays Bond in the future are an absolute shower. It's just a parade of those too old, too famous, too posh, too puny, and too young.

I'm the exact opposite. The future looks very bright to me. I see tons of young to youngish actors mentioned here (and those not mentioned here) who could be potential Bonds or Bond villians.

• "All things remarkable are surprisingly simple; albeit difficult to find."
    parkert5 wrote: »

But...

Cheers

I'm the exact opposite. The future looks very bright to me. I see tons of young to youngish actors mentioned here (and those not mentioned here) who could be potential Bonds or Bond villians.

They all look pretty rotten to me. All of them could play him, but do it well? I am not sure. The ones who would do a good/safe job are probably too old or famous (Fassbender, Cavill, etc).

Either way, like I have said elsewhere, I am sincerely happy if other fans are optimistic. I am hoping my predictions turn out to be wrong.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK

But...

Cheers

They all look pretty rotten to me. All of them could play him, but do it well? I am not sure. The ones who would do a good/safe job are probably too old or famous (Fassbender, Cavill, etc).
    I mean, the casting process is somewhat of an impossible task in some respects, and a lot of choices will seem "rotten" because until whoever is cast actually has their moment to prove themselves, everyones in the dark, even the people pitching for them.

Also, I still think, even if it may not seem like it to some, it's easy to imagine actors like Cavill and Fassbender because they've basically already played the role in another form.
  • suavejmfsuavejmf Harrogate, North Yorkshire, England
    edited September 2020 Posts: 5,131

Exactly. Dalton was a soft reboot, but there was no need to mention such.

It worked just fine.

Just carry on. Ignore the current ‘trend’ of having to reintroduce and ‘spoon feed’ everyone and everything.

The audience knows the score. It’s a reimagining of the same character. Allow for grand entrance in the pre-title sequence....then business as usual after the title sequence.

But...

Cheers

I mean, the casting process is somewhat of an impossible task in some respects, and a lot of choices will seem "rotten" because until whoever is cast actually has their moment to prove themselves, everyones in the dark, even the people pitching for them.

Also, I still think, even if it may not seem like it to some, it's easy to imagine actors like Cavill and Fassbender because they've basically already played the role in another form.

Yes, I think that is a fair comment.

Obviously I don't know what any actors you (and others) have suggested can do as Bond, but despite some of these names being good actors, and sort of looking in the part in that they fit a particular physical description and are British, none of them really have much charisma. For me, anyway.

I think that Aidan Turner has a sort of sleazy charm, to be fair. And Hoult has some charisma to him. Other than that I am not impressed at all.

I don't want Idris Elba to be Bond, but you can see why his name cropped up given he has buckets of charisma. Something the others (bar Fassbender and Cavill) are lacking.
  • suavejmfsuavejmf Harrogate, North Yorkshire, England
    Exactly. It doesn't need to be an origin story, and I don't think that's what we're gonna get. It seems Hollywood has very much moved past all that, which will hopefully influence EON.

Exactly. I agree. But ‘The Batman’ is out next year....which looks like another (yawn) reboot origin story. If that is successful it’ll be noted in ‘Lemming Land’ (aka Hollywood).
  • DenbighDenbigh UK

But...

Cheers

I don't want Idris Elba to be Bond, but you can see why his name cropped up given he has buckets of charisma. Something the others (bar Fassbender and Cavill) are lacking.
    Yeah I'm the same, more because I think people who pine after the role for a while become tainted after a while; it's the same with Hiddleston. Also I don't think Elba would be as groundbreaking as people say.
    suavejmf wrote: »
    Exactly. I agree. But ‘The Batman’ is out next year....which looks like another (yawn) reboot origin story. If that is successful it’ll be noted in ‘Lemming Land’ (aka Hollywood).
    Although that's actually not an origin story. It's a second year Batman story that is more an origin story for the villains, but still focuses on the characterisation of a Bruce Wayne in that point of his life - from what they've said so far anyway. But I do agree, that if it's incredibly successful, we could have another Batman influence on our hands - which could be a good or bad thing.
  • edited September 2020 Posts: 4,400
    mtm wrote: »
    With regards to Teale....Because he looks more like an ‘Antonio Banderas Jr’ to me.

Wow.

Also, double posting isn't cool.

Also, is p2d still trolling everyone with chamalamadingdong? Get over it, mate. Hereby I vote for Bruce Willis, he has no hair but at least he looks like he's equipped with a set of balls, which in Bond's case is mandatory.

I'm really not spamming...I'm being very serious.

I see the franchise at a crossroads with two choices:
    1. A24 Route: Buzzy outfits like A24 known for cool, hip films that generate lots of chatter and heat. I see blockbuster-filmmaking adopting these techniques. I think this is especially evident in The Batman which I feel will be the mood-setter for the next generation of Bond films. Here, someone like Timothee Chalamet would work.
    2. Marvel Route: Eon may just want to make super entertaining light films. Cram them with action and jokes. Here, someone like Henry Cavill would work.

I'm much more excited at the notion of the first option...

In that respect, I think Eon are going to conscious that they will need an actor that the internet loves and (most important of all) directors will want to work with!

21ee352638d26de183e66a931f72ab593c343f48.gifv

Currently, Timothee Chalamet is adrift with no franchise. Dune may not be a hit. But he might fancy himself a Leonardo DiCaprio sort that doesn't need a franchise. But he's a talent and if Eon aren't quick, they could loose a serious talent. Just watch him in this terrific scene from The King...

• Too young. Too Kylo Ren. Good voice tho
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    I still maintain that Chalamet is a great potential villain in the future.

I picture him more as a villain. Perhaps in the Boris or Truman-Lodge mold?
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    ToTheRight wrote: »
    ...or even Dario from Licence To Kill. Possible main villain as he gets older.
    ToTheRight wrote: »
    ...or even Dario from Licence To Kill. Possible main villain as he gets older.

Yes! Better yet!
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland

TC as a villain is a good shout.
    With regards to Teale....Because he looks more like an ‘Antonio Banderas Jr’ to me.

Wow.

Also, is p2d still trolling everyone with chamalamadingdong? Get over it, mate. Hereby I vote for Bruce Willis, he has no hair but at least he looks like he's equipped with a set of balls, which in Bond's case is mandatory.

1. A24 Route: Buzzy outfits like A24 known for cool, hip films that generate lots of chatter and heat. I see blockbuster-filmmaking adopting these techniques. I think this is especially evident in The Batman which I feel will be the mood-setter for the next generation of Bond films. Here, someone like Timothee Chalamet would work.
    2. Marvel Route: Eon may just want to make super entertaining light films. Cram them with action and jokes. Here, someone like Henry Cavill would work.

In that respect, I think Eon are going to conscious that they will need an actor that the internet loves and (most important of all) directors will want to work with!

Currently, Timothee Chalamet is adrift with no franchise. Dune may not be a hit. But he might fancy himself a Leonardo DiCaprio sort that doesn't need a franchise. But he's a talent and if Eon aren't quick, they could loose a serious talent. Just watch him in this terrific scene from The King...

If you want to make the case for Chalamet, then you need to post more pics and clips from him in The King rather than all those other images of him poncing about on the red carpet dressed in goodness knows what and with his regular stupid hairstyle. If people had only seen him in The King then the push back against him would be nowhere near as strong. He's superb in it, and you could easily see a performance as Bond in him.

At the same time, he would still need to fill out and age before it is even remotely appropriate. What you do about his height is anyone's guess.

Currently it is, as @Denbigh repeatedly suggests, far more likely he'd be a villain.

Wow.

If you want to make the case for Chalamet, then you need to post more pics and clips from him in The King rather than all those other images of him poncing about on the red carpet dressed in goodness knows what and with his regular stupid hairstyle. If people had only seen him in The King then the push back against him would be nowhere near as strong. He's superb in it, and you could easily see a performance as Bond in him.

At the same time, he would still need to fill out and age before it is even remotely appropriate. What you do about his height is anyone's guess.

Currently it is, as @Denbigh repeatedly suggests, far more likely he'd be a villain.

That wasn't a dig at you by the way, @Denbigh
  • DenbighDenbigh UK

Wow.

That wasn't a dig at you by the way, @Denbigh
    Haha it's cool I know :)
    And despite my opinion on him as 007, he is really good in The King.