Who should/could be a Bond actor?

Comments

• edited August 2020 Posts: 6,665
    So an actor who olds a tv series for 5 years being its main star would be, by today's standards, a proven actor (?) Since medium 90 to 120m films aren't a thing nowadays and we've only got the streaming services and studios to go on (?)

I'd say, yes.

:)
    Univex wrote: »
    Denbigh wrote: »
    mtm wrote: »
    I don't think anyones saying that no-ones interested in whose playing James Bond, my point anyway is that whoever you cast, it's gonna get a conversation going online, whether it's Cavill or Chalamet or whoever, or whether the conversation is positive or negative, because people do get excited and heated about James Bond.

Yes, Cavill would be safer choice ( I think it's just never gonna happen cause of Superman and The Witcher), but to cast someone specifically for that online reaction isn't a good enough reason, and not something I imagine EON doing.

Just because Cavill is a safer choice, it doesn't mean they're gonna need someone like Chalamet to completely catch people of the guard and cause a stir, cause the idea is that no matter who is James Bond, audiences will watch and give their thoughts. Their opinions may differ and alter based on who it is initially, but either way, the conversation starts.
    I'm not saying that person is Chalamet, not at all, just that freshness is what it needs every time, they can't coast along on Bond himself being enough.
    Ok, I see what you're saying @mtm, and of course we want it to be an exciting choice and someone that will be refreshing and be something new, and I think it will be. I also think what you mention is what's gonna get those people, that maybe lost interest during Craig's era, on board, not whether they appeal to youthful online culture.

Being one of those who have lost interest, I'd rather have a "safer" candidate than an "edgy" one.
    I mean to me this is why they need someone whose gonna strike that balance of something fresh and new, but something that still honours the original creation, which is why I nominate Callum a lot cause I feel he could have that fresh take but could also personify that original creation - in my opinion.
    Callum whom, @Denbigh?
    Turner.
    (where does that suggestion come from anyway?)
    He's been strongly suggested by Pierce.

The way he's been mentioned lately, I thought this thread had found a new Aidan Turner!

Oh damn, yeah, it's time for some Turner again ;)

*Oh no! X_X

*(I'm not against Aidan Turner though, but he's being hyped up like a Connery 2.0 at times)

lol, yes. But there's no Connery 2.0 There'll never be. Although I reckon Aidan Turner could do a fine job.

I thought you of all people would appreciate a more classic choice like this. He does remind of Connery. Even his assertiveness and confidence as Ross Poldark, his voice, his eyebrows, and his demeanour.

It's probably the period setting, but I'd rather look at And Then There Were None as something to measure his suitability by. Admittedly, ATTWN is a period series too, but these series that take place even further back in history do have a bit stagy(?) feel to them – and very much so in the way the characters speak.

Strangely edited video with an awful music, but...

• DenbighDenbigh UK
    edited August 2020 Posts: 5,834
    [removed]
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited August 2020 Posts: 14,861
    Benny wrote: »
    It’s actually an incredibly difficult role to fill. And as an actor to pull it off. It’s not as simple as merely looking the part. But you have to be able to act, Bond isn’t Shakespeare but you do need the ability to convey the story and character.
    It’s also a role that wouldn’t appeal to all actors. I don’t think Timothee Chalamet would be interested in taking on a well established, franchise role. With a multi picture contract. For me he tucks none of the boxes for the role. As a potential villain down the track. Sure.
    A.Turner has the looks and charisma. And he’s not a bad actor at all. But his body of work in film is very limited. He’s not done anything that a studio or EON could say has made him a box office draw. I’m sure he’d make a descent Bond. I’m not so sure the gamble would be taken, by those in power.

Yeah you need someone who's been proven to be a strong lead in a movie.

It's a bit like how they cast the villains: they don't just get anyone who looks a bit bad, they get big actors who have impressed. They didn't get Christoph Waltz because they thought he'd look good with a scar and a cat: they got him because he'd been a chilling villain in other movies like Inglorious Basterds. No, it doesn't work every time because it's an art not a science, but even so you don't get an unknown in their first movie to be the main baddie, so you certainly don't do the same with Bond.

And that is the problem this thread is constantly circling:
    You need somebody who has shown they "have it", but can't go with somebody for Bond who is already too big.

Hollywood has basically killed the "medium movie". Everything that used to be a character driven 90-120 minute film for people over the age of 20 is now stretched to 8 hours and made a limited series. Therefore, we are in very short supply of actors who have shown they can lead a movie (or three) on their own, but haven't fully broken through and/or aren't under contract to play somebody wearing spandex in their free time for 6 movies.

Is there any doubt Layer Cake would either be a 5-episode mini-series or simply not made in 2020?

Very interesting thought. It makes it tricky, because leading a TV show isn't the same as leading a movie.
    So an actor who olds a tv series for 5 years being its main star would be, by today's standards, a proven actor (?) Since medium 90 to 120m films aren't a thing nowadays and we've only got the streaming services and studios to go on (?)

I'd say, yes.

:)
    I don't think anyones saying that no-ones interested in whose playing James Bond, my point anyway is that whoever you cast, it's gonna get a conversation going online, whether it's Cavill or Chalamet or whoever, or whether the conversation is positive or negative, because people do get excited and heated about James Bond.

Yes, Cavill would be safer choice ( I think it's just never gonna happen cause of Superman and The Witcher), but to cast someone specifically for that online reaction isn't a good enough reason, and not something I imagine EON doing.

Just because Cavill is a safer choice, it doesn't mean they're gonna need someone like Chalamet to completely catch people of the guard and cause a stir, cause the idea is that no matter who is James Bond, audiences will watch and give their thoughts. Their opinions may differ and alter based on who it is initially, but either way, the conversation starts.
    I'm not saying that person is Chalamet, not at all, just that freshness is what it needs every time, they can't coast along on Bond himself being enough.
    Ok, I see what you're saying @mtm, and of course we want it to be an exciting choice and someone that will be refreshing and be something new, and I think it will be. I also think what you mention is what's gonna get those people, that maybe lost interest during Craig's era, on board, not whether they appeal to youthful online culture.

Being one of those who have lost interest, I'd rather have a "safer" candidate than an "edgy" one.
    I mean to me this is why they need someone whose gonna strike that balance of something fresh and new, but something that still honours the original creation, which is why I nominate Callum a lot cause I feel he could have that fresh take but could also personify that original creation - in my opinion.
    Callum whom, @Denbigh?
    Turner.
    (where does that suggestion come from anyway?)
    He's been strongly suggested by Pierce.

The way he's been mentioned lately, I thought this thread had found a new Aidan Turner!

Oh damn, yeah, it's time for some Turner again ;)

*Oh no! X_X

*(I'm not against Aidan Turner though, but he's being hyped up like a Connery 2.0 at times)

lol, yes. But there's no Connery 2.0 There'll never be. Although I reckon Aidan Turner could do a fine job.

I thought you of all people would appreciate a more classic choice like this. He does remind of Connery. Even his assertiveness and confidence as Ross Poldark, his voice, his eyebrows, and his demeanour.

It's probably the period setting, but I'd rather look at And Then There Were None as something to measure his suitability by. Admittedly, ATTWN is a period series too, but these series that take place even further back in history do have a bit stagy(?) feel to them – and very much so in the way the characters speak.

Strangely edited video with an awful music, but...

Very strangely edited video. At least you get to see him with a proper haircut and a suit. Haven't watched ATTWN since it first aired, and I must admit I don't remember much of it.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Speaking of Christie adaptations, did you see The Crooked House at the beginning of the year with Rufus Sewell giving off some good Bondy vibes, looking all 50s stylish?
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    Speaking of Christie adaptations, did you see The Crooked House at the beginning of the year with Rufus Sewell giving off some good Bondy vibes, looking all 50s stylish?
    I did, although I was more focused on Kaya Scodelario, would love to see her as a future Bond girl.
    Rufus Sewell, another could-have-been. I liked the adaptation of The pale horse. He could also be a good nemesis one day.
  • Univex wrote: »
    I guess Connery, Lazenby, Dalton and Pierce would've never been Bond by those standards. They'd done nothing edgy or cool until Bond.

Cubby isn’t in charge anymore though, Barbara is. And I think her relationship with Brosnan compared to her relationship with Craig is pretty telling.
  • MSL49MSL49 Finland
    I hope Bond 7 is more traditional like Moore and Brosnan were.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    edited August 2020 Posts: 8,007
    I guess Connery, Lazenby, Dalton and Pierce would've never been Bond by those standards. They'd done nothing edgy or cool until Bond.

Cubby isn’t in charge anymore though, Barbara is. And I think her relationship with Brosnan compared to her relationship with Craig is pretty telling.

That's a good point, but my gut feeling is that Craig will be always be unique to Barbara in the sense that, for lack of a better phrase, he was her "first". I think she would have given quite a lot to get more films out of him.

Who knows what her relationship with the next guy will be like, where he will come from, or how "edgy" he will be.

Yes! I liked that miniseries, and I have to agree with @Denbigh re. Kaya Scodelario. She has a bit of a Lara Pulver like look about her. Pulver could be an interesting casting choice too.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    Again, this is why I say, it's impossible to base the next guy of off Barbara's choosing of Craig because to me it's not based on how he looked, I think it was based on how he resonated with her, and how committed she was to making sure he was the guy, so as @CraigMooreOHMSS, who knows what that'll be with the next guy.

But we know that if Barbara likes an actor, she'll do what she can to get him in there.

And yeah @Torgeirtrap, she'd be great, although I would only want her cast alongside an age appropriate Bond, not someone in his 40s/50s, if her role as a Bond girl would be a romantic one, which is usually the case.
  • edited August 2020 Posts: 6,665

Yes! I liked that miniseries, and I have to agree with @Denbigh re. Kaya Scodelario. She has a bit of a Lara Pulver like look about her. Pulver could be an interesting casting choice too.

Lara Pulver...yes, please.
    s_2258730b.jpg
  • sandbagger1sandbagger1 Sussex
    Timothy Olyphant would be a good Felix Leiter in the vein of Jack Lord, imo.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland

s_2258730b.jpg

Good lord.
  • edited August 2020 Posts: 725
    There has been three on screen Batmen within Craig’s tenure.
    And yeah @Torgeirtrap, she'd be great, although I would only want her cast alongside an age appropriate Bond, not someone in his 40s/50s, if her role as a Bond girl would be a romantic one, which is usually the case.

Yes, she would definitely be best suited alongside a younger actor – which we will get with Bond 26. ;-)

s_2258730b.jpg

giphy.gif
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    – which we will get with Bond 26.
    I hope so. These are my top 3 choices :)
    1) Callum Turner
    2) Aaron Taylor-Johnson
    3) Sam Claflin
  • ResurrectionResurrection Kolkata, India

s_2258730b.jpg

Yes, yes, yes to Lara.
    1) Callum Turner
    2) Aaron Taylor-Johnson
    3) Sam Claflin

I struggle making a list with likely candidates, age wise. Luke Evans is my favourite, but he's too old now. I'd be happy with Henry Cavill, but that's almost a controversial opinion it seems!
    1) Callum Turner
    2) Aaron Taylor-Johnson
    3) Sam Claflin

I struggle making a list with likely candidates, age wise. Luke Evans is my favourite, but he's too old now. I'd be happy with Henry Cavill, but that's almost a controversial opinion it seems!

Well, for me it would go like this:

1)Aidan Turner
    2)Luke Evans
    3)Henry Cavill

;)
    1) Callum Turner
    2) Aaron Taylor-Johnson
    3) Sam Claflin

1)Aidan Turner
    2)Luke Evans
    3)Henry Cavill

;)

That would probably be my top three list if not taking age into consideration! Evans at #1 though.
    1) Callum Turner
    2) Aaron Taylor-Johnson
    3) Sam Claflin

1)Aidan Turner
    2)Luke Evans
    3)Henry Cavill

;)

After Turner it's Theo James for me.
  • JeremyBondonJeremyBondon Seeking out odd jobs with Oddjob @Tangier
    After Aidan it's Turner for me
  • edited September 2020 Posts: 6,665

lol ;)
    1) Callum Turner
    2) Aaron Taylor-Johnson
    3) Sam Claflin

1)Aidan Turner
    2)Luke Evans
    3)Henry Cavill

;)

After Turner it's Theo James for me.

n4 for me.
  • edited September 2020 Posts: 725
    Mads Mikkelsen would’ve made a hell of a Bond if he could pull off the English accent.

Mads Mikkelsen would’ve made a hell of a Bond if he could pull off the English accent.

I always thought his face was a tad too weird. Perfect for a villain though.
  • RoadphillRoadphill United Kingdom
    Cavill or Turner are the obvious choices, but I'm betting EON will go left field on this one...

😁
  • Denbigh wrote: »
    1) Callum Turner
    2) Aaron Taylor-Johnson
    3) Sam Claflin

It's not controversial, it just gets old when people bring up someone who isn't capable of playing the part.