NO TIME TO DIE (2021) - Critical Reaction and Box Office Performance

Comments

• matt_umatt_u better known as Mr. Roark
    Walecs wrote: »
    matt_u wrote: »
    I know, but Tenet looks less “commercial” than Inception or Interstellar. Plus, JDW is no DiCaprio or “2014” McConaughey. Pre-Covid it would’ve made 700/800 $ millions? Sure. But a movie of this kind, “hard to follow, difficult to love”, as most reviews described, doesn’t sound like the type of film that would have drawn in eager audiences after all those months without movies. It’s not that kind of blockbuster.

Agreed, I haven't seen much buzz about Tenet in Italy, regardless of Covid. Previous Nolan movies generated much more Internet buzz in our country. Even his war movie starring Harry Styles (I forgot what it was called) seemed like a very big thing, everyone was talking about it and was looking forward to its release.

Yeah that’s true... and Dunkirk also received universal acclaim. I felt that for the first time there wasn’t a real hype for the release of a Nolan film, with the pandemic blowing this feeling out of proportions.
  • SuperintendentSuperintendent A separate pool. For sharks, no less.

If Tenet fails, and November release gets cancelled, it makes no sense to believe that any date in 2021 will be appropriate for NTTD to achieve a desired profit.

AstonLotus wrote: »
    matt_u wrote: »
    Even pre-COVID it never really looked like a potential megahit that would have drawn in audiences beyond the Nolan cult.

This.

Oh come on,Nolan movies are huge box office draws.

Relative to films of similar budgets, Nolan films aren't crowd pleasers.

Ever hear of The Dark Knight? Made over a billion dollars? So did its follow up.And his original big budget films like Inception,Interstellar,and Dunkirk were all big box office successes.
  • MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython “Baja?!”
    @CraigMooreOHMSS isn't too off the mark. Batman has been a moneymaking brand before and after Nolan was involved, so I wouldn't necessarily count those as proof of his infallibility at the box office. It's like claiming Sam Mendes is a billion dollar box office maker. While technically true, that was largely associated with a brand name. The closest Nolan came to that was INCEPTION, but that was a decade ago.

When you look at his non-Batman films, they've been going on a downward spiral. INCEPTION came out when his rep was untouchable, just between his Batman installments. Then INTERSTELLAR made less, and then DUNKIRK made lesser. That tells me the hype he used to get from his Batman years is waning.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    @CraigMooreOHMSS isn't too off the mark. Batman has been a moneymaking brand before and after Nolan was involved, so I wouldn't necessarily count those as proof of his infallibility at the box office. It's like claiming Sam Mendes is a billion dollar box office maker. While technically true, that was largely associated with a brand name. The closest Nolan came to that was INCEPTION, but that was a decade ago.

When you look at his non-Batman films, they've been going on a downward spiral. INCEPTION came out when his rep was untouchable, just between his Batman installments. Then INTERSTELLAR made less, and then DUNKIRK made lesser. That tells me the hype he used to get from his Batman years is waning.

Exactly.

Nolan films are successful, for sure, and he is responsible for thrusting Batman back to the forefront of popular culture, but his films outside of them are generally not pulling in the figures that other films of similar budgets do (or did, at least).

It's not being used as a reflection on the quality of his work, but it's always been a little funny to me that he has been pushed forward as the "saviour of the cinema experience" when you consider the above.
    edited August 2020 Posts: 871

Nolan is in the top ten list of highest grossing directors by complete filmography, so I guess his films can be qualified as box office draws.

That doesn't necessarily equate quality, however.

(edited)

• CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    Nolan is in the top ten list of highest grossing directors by complete filmography, so I guess his films can be qualified as box office draws.

(edited)

True, but to further the points made above - take his last two Batman films out of that list and he drops out of the top 25! :)
  • MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython “Baja?!”
    That reminds me. Sam Mendes' filmography could be summed up to 3 billion dollars. You take Bond out of the equation, then it's only over a 1 billion.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited August 2020 Posts: 15,690
    Warner Bros will not allow Tenet to be played at drive-in theaters in areas where indoor cinemas are closed.

https://variety.com/2020/film/news/tenet-theaters-drive-ins-christopher-nolan-1234746741/

This will limit the box-office intake of Tenet even more, given this means US states where indoors cinemas are closed won't be able to rely on outdoor venues.
  • 007InAction007InAction Australia
    Warner Bros will not allow Tenet to be played at drive-in theaters in areas where indoor cinemas are closed.

https://variety.com/2020/film/news/tenet-theaters-drive-ins-christopher-nolan-1234746741/

This will limit the box-office intake of Tenet even more, given this means US states where indoors cinemas are closed won't be able to rely on outdoor venues.

PB was ready to go to the drive-in in this....... :)>-
    1-pierce-brosnan-goldeneye-tank-vogue-14sep15-rex_b.jpg
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    @007InAction Well I refuse to go to a drive-in where I risk having my car turned into a pancake by Brosnan's tank. ;-)
    Seems quite silly of them not to have Tenet play at drive ins.Youd think they would want it to make as much revenue as it can.If they are that worried about spoilers,they will be online soon anyway as soon as the film starts screening from tomorrow!
    AstonLotus wrote: »
    Seems quite silly of them not to have Tenet play at drive ins.Youd think they would want it to make as much revenue as it can.If they are that worried about spoilers,they will be online soon anyway as soon as the film starts screening from tomorrow!

The film already started screening in Australia, South Korea, Sweden and other countries last Saturday.
    So when no one got spoiled since then, it will not happen tomorrow.
    Tenet heading towards a $25 million opening weekend in overseas markets.

https://deadline.com/2020/08/tenet-international-box-office-preview-1203022539/

(edited)

True, but to further the points made above - take his last two Batman films out of that list and he drops out of the top 25! :)

Fair enough. :)

Another way to look at him is - his last two Batman films are the highest grossing Batman films ever.

Anyway, I've taken this too far now, sorry for the off.
  • JamesBondKenyaJamesBondKenya Danny Boyle laughs to himself

That’s actually quite good all things considered

That’s actually quite good all things considered

The question now is what will be the box office total at the end of its run. If Tenet barely crosses $300 million world wide, there is no way EON will want to release a $200+ million blockbuster knowing it is likely to flop (or at the very least seriously underperform) like Nolan's film.

Because $25 million might be good, we have to remember this is a $200 million budget film. This is already half of Dunkirk's world-wide opening, and that one ended with $525 million world-wide. And that was with a budget of $100 million (less than half of Tenet's).
    I am seeing Tenet tonight, I'll be able to see how many people will show up for it.

Do you have to where a mask in the cinema ?

EeFJIG6XgAEI3ku?format=jpg&name=large

As of today: masks are now mandatory during the films, not just in the lobby.
  • Last_Rat_StandingLast_Rat_Standing Long Neck Ice Cold Beer Never Broke My Heart
    I am seeing Tenet tonight, I'll be able to see how many people will show up for it.

What about if you're eating or drinking? Unless concessions aren't open.

I imagine this means concessions will have to be closed (unless you go outside to eat/drink), which will seriously reduce the profit for cinemas.
    edited August 2020 Posts: 2,354

I imagine this means concessions will have to be closed (unless you go outside to eat/drink), which will seriously reduce the profit for cinemas.

In what country ?
  • Last_Rat_StandingLast_Rat_Standing Long Neck Ice Cold Beer Never Broke My Heart

That's alot of $7 popcorns that they'll lose out on.

In what country ?

France.

In what country ?

France.

What part of France do you live in ?

In what country ?

France.

Just outside Paris (within 100km to the West). But this new mask mandate is a nation-wide one.

In what country ?

France.

Just outside Paris (within 100km to the West). But this new mask mandate is a nation-wide one.

How good is Paris ? It looks incredible.
  • edited August 2020 Posts: 824

That's alot of $7 popcorns that they'll lose out on.
    But great news for those who prefer to listen to the film rather than the sound of people eating.

• matt_umatt_u better known as Mr. Roark
    edited August 2020 Posts: 4,343
    In Italy wearing a mask is mandatory during the whole film, with the permission of removing it just for drinking and eating. So, if you eat slow... Theaters are open with a 50% capacity.
  • RedNineRedNine Poland

In Poland some cinema chains are selling face shields in the lobby so you can eat while watching
    Tenet earns $830,000 on opening day in South Korea. Pre-sales however have completely tanked due to the Covid-19 resurgence, and what was supposed to be a $15 million (5 days) opening weekend in South Korea will most likely finish at around $7 million.

South Korea was expected to be one of the biggest overseas market for Tenet.