Controversial opinions about Bond films

Comments

echo wrote: »
    Controversial opinion: I find Bond's sexual relationship with Melina more uncomfortable than the (non-) one with Bibi.

Is there a sexual relationship at all?
  • GoldenGunGoldenGun Per ora e per il momento che verrà
    jobo wrote: »
    Controversial opinion: I find Bond's sexual relationship with Melina more uncomfortable than the (non-) one with Bibi.

Exactly. Both Melina and Stacey find some sort of father figure in Bond that I quite like, but in both instances that gets ruined by the obligatory love scene at the end.

Luckily OP sits between those two, featuring what is arguably Moore's most believable romance as Bond.
    GoldenGun wrote: »

Exactly. Both Melina and Stacey find some sort of father figure in Bond that I quite like, but in both instances that gets ruined by the obligatory love scene at the end.

Luckily OP sits between those two, featuring what is arguably Moore's most believable romance as Bond.

Octopussy was probably the best Moore era Bond girl (IMO), and this is one of the reasons why.

In FYEO it is at least left a bit ambigious. They only go for a moonlight swim...
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator

In FYEO it is at least left a bit ambigious. They only go for a moonlight swim...

Naked!
    After making out. A non sexual ending to FYEO would've been a better ending.
    Controversial opinion:

Unless I'm watching OHMSS or CR, I like James Bond movies to end with Bond getting laid.
  • QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    Not much more than a voyeur, are you?

Same here.
    QBranch wrote: »

Same here.

LOL. Just rooting for James. I'm on Bond's side for this topic.
  • RoadphillRoadphill United Kingdom
    ToTheRight wrote: »
    Controversial opinion:

Unless I'm watching OHMSS or CR, I like James Bond movies to end with Bond getting laid.

Indeed. I mean, he has usually earned it, right?
  • CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea
    On a recent rewatch of all the movies, I found that DAD has a lot going for it. Fantastic pre title sequence followed by an amazing title sequence - Daniel Kleiman really stepped out of Binder’s shadow with this one.
    Brosnan gives a really great performance as Bond, maybe even better than GE. Like you always seem to get with Brosnan, there are personal stakes for Bond here, after being betrayed to the North Koreans and suffering so much for it, but this time it plays well and the stakes feel earned. The first half of the movie has a lot of the old school Bond flavour that I love so much but with a modern twist. I like Halle Berry in the movie and the fencing duel is ridiculous but in the right way.

It’s fair to say that thereafter the movie stumbles...

That's exactly why I rate it so low. It's a film with a promise, taking that proise and flushing it down the toilet. Both TWINE and TND don't hold that promise at all.
    ToTheRight wrote: »
    QBranch wrote: »

Same here.

LOL. Just rooting for James. I'm on Bond's side for this topic.

Not just a voyeur then... ;-)

• MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython “Baja?!”
    Benny wrote: »

Naked!
    After making out. A non sexual ending to FYEO would've been a better ending.

With the way those close ups were handled, she might as well have been wearing that bikini from the poster. Heck, maybe he wore that bottom one too ;)
  • edited August 2020 Posts: 1,394

Why? Was she not legal age? Believe it or not,a lot young women in real life find older men very attractive.

Its not like its a new thing in films.Like it or not,a lot of leading men have much younger love interests in movies.Do you have a problem with Daniel Criag being 17 years older than his current on screen love interest in NTTD?
    I generally prefer when the two actors are closer in age, or at least appear to be closer in age. It tends to help with chemistry as well (for instance, Connery has much stronger charisma with most of his co-stars than Moore did, with the exception of Maud Adams who is much closer to him in age). I know part of that is Connery's greater sexual charisma and magnetism, but I think the age plays a part too.

Exceptions are situations like AVTAK where their relationship is clearly something more father-daughter. In my personal head canon that final scene simply doesn't exist, which I have no problems rationalizing because it was one of those instances where they blatantly shoehorned it in simply to keep with the formula.
  • PrinceKamalKhanPrinceKamalKhan Monsoon Palace, Udaipur

Agreed. At least the Bibi moments are clearly played completely for comic effect. Melina seems more like a female guest star on Moore's The Saint TV series that he'd had a platonic alliance with rather than a love interest. Kind of like Bond and Camille 27 years before the fact. Countess Lisl is the FYEO girl that Moore's Bond has the most believable chemistry with in that film IMHO.

While Melina is definitely the better Bond girl character than Stacey, I do think that Tanya Roberts has more onscreen chemistry with Moore than Carole Bouquet does with him. Possibly because AVTAK did take a few minutes to slow down and let the two of them share an intimate dinner together underscored by John Barry's haunting romantic music:

+1

AstonLotus wrote: »

Why? Was she not legal age? Believe it or not,a lot young women in real life find older men very attractive.

Its not like its a new thing in films.Like it or not,a lot of leading men have much younger love interests in movies.

It's most definitely an old sexist/ageist trope in Hollywood. The mindset being that a woman in her 20s inherently has more sex appeal than a woman in her 30s. Once she reaches her 30s she's suddenly relegated to motherly roles. Not always the case, but too often it happens. I remember seeing Judy Greer play a mom in TWO major films in the same summer (ANT-MAN and JURASSIC WORLD) and she was severely underused in both. A man as old as 60 can have a love interest as young as her 20s, but you never really see that go the other way around unless it's a movie focused on cougars.
    Do you have a problem with Daniel Criag being 17 years older than his current on screen love interest in NTTD?

The difference is that Lea Seydoux is a woman in her 30s, whereas Carole Bouquet was 23 and Sir Rog was 53. That's quite a big age gap! Nearly twice as long as Craig/Seydoux. Contrast that to the next film OCTOPUSSY where the general sentiment among fans is that Maud Adams at the mature age of 37 felt more appropriate as a leading lady to Sir Rog at 55.

Interestingly, all the females stars in NTTD are over 30, with the youngest being Ana de Armas at 31. I suspect that's not a coincidence. There hasn't been a Bond lady in her 20s featured since QOS.
  • RoadphillRoadphill United Kingdom
    I'm sure this may not be controversial, but Licence To Kill is a really, bloody good film.

Its not, however, a good Bond film.
    Roadphill wrote: »
    I'm sure this may not be controversial, but Licence To Kill is a really, bloody good film.

Please share more of your thoughts on this. I'm always interested in hearing different ideas and LTK is a really polarizing film.

A podcast I listen to had one of the hosts sum that up for both LTK and QOS. I get that. They're kind of dirty and depressing. Not a lot of glamor. The humor is dry as it gets. So on and so forth. They're not the kind of films you typically introduce someone to Bond.

Its both a really good film and a really good Bond film.

It just happened to be the most dark and violent in the series at the time of release.

QOS is an example of a really bad Bond film AND a really bad film in general.
    Nah, nah. LTK and QOS are both good Bond films and good films in their own right. LTK is the best though.
    AstonLotus wrote: »

Its not like its a new thing in films.Like it or not,a lot of leading men have much younger love interests in movies.

It's most definitely an old sexist/ageist trope in Hollywood. The mindset being that a woman in her 20s inherently has more sex appeal than a woman in her 30s. Once she reaches her 30s she's suddenly relegated to motherly roles. Not always the case, but too often it happens. I remember seeing Judy Greer play a mom in TWO major films in the same summer (ANT-MAN and JURASSIC WORLD) and she was severely underused in both. A man as old as 60 can have a love interest as young as her 20s, but you never really see that go the other way around unless it's a movie focused on cougars.
    Do you have a problem with Daniel Criag being 17 years older than his current on screen love interest in NTTD?

The difference is that Lea Seydoux is a woman in her 30s, whereas Carole Bouquet was 23 and Sir Rog was 53. That's quite a big age gap! Nearly twice as long as Craig/Seydoux. Contrast that to the next film OCTOPUSSY where the general sentiment among fans is that Maud Adams at the mature age of 37 felt more appropriate as a leading lady to Sir Rog at 55.

Interestingly, all the females stars in NTTD are over 30, with the youngest being Ana de Armas at 31. I suspect that's not a coincidence. There hasn't been a Bond lady in her 20s featured since QOS.

I can't believe I'm saying this, but I'm quite glad we've had more mature women as Bond girls. Women in their 20s in the acting industry now often end up looking like Lolitas and I think women in their 30s are overall sexier.
  • GoldenGunGoldenGun Per ora e per il momento che verrà
    Nah, nah. LTK and QOS are both good Bond films and good films in their own right. LTK is the best though.

Agreed. Both are top-notch, but LTK does take the cake in the end.
    I love both of them a lot. For the longest time LTK was my preference, but as of right now I'd just give the nod to QOS, though I like them about equally.

+1
  • DraxCucumberSandwichDraxCucumberSandwich United Kingdom
    For a long time after it came out I didn’t like LTK at all. Coming just a short time after the likes of AVTAK and OP it was too much utter tonal dissonance for me. Now I’ve come to really appreciate it as superb movie, a really well crafted hard edged and violent vision of what a Bond film can be (with an awesome villain).

QOS I liked from the the start. It made sense after CR. I still like it but it’s not a movie I ever feel the inclination to watch unless I’ve recently watched CR.

A podcast I listen to had one of the hosts sum that up for both LTK and QOS. I get that. They're kind of dirty and depressing. Not a lot of glamor. The humor is dry as it gets. So on and so forth. They're not the kind of films you typically introduce someone to Bond.

No, they're not films you'd introduce someone too, but they stand out in the series. Too often the films followed a set pattern that got a bit repetitious in the '80s and '90s. Not that that's a bad thing to have expectations, but shaking things up is fine too. Not for everyone, but in a long-running series also these can be refreshing.

This is really well said. Also, both of them are more explicitly mimicking American action franchises (LTK being in the vein of late 80s actioners like Lethal Weapon, Miami Vice, so on, and QoS literally lifting scenes and plot points and its quick-cut gestural action aesthetic from the Bourne movies)
    My controversial opinion on FYEO is that Bonds relationship with Melina isnt uncomfortable at all and think its quite romantic.Quite a bit of age difference between the two but even though age was beginning to catch up to Rog,he was still quite a handsome dude and dont think many women would say no.

His scenes with Bibi arnt uncomfortable either as Bond actually rejects her advances ( Proving that he actually DOES have standards! )
    The age gap in that film doesn't bother me too much, because I think Moore looks great. I think the main issue is simply that the two don't have too much chemistry. There is a connection there, but it usually feels platonic.
  • PrinceKamalKhanPrinceKamalKhan Monsoon Palace, Udaipur
    The age gap in that film doesn't bother me too much, because I think Moore looks great. I think the main issue is simply that the two don't have too much chemistry. There is a connection there, but it usually feels platonic.

+1 More like a platonic alliance between Simon Templar and one of his female guest stars. Add to that a The Saint main villain(which indeed Julian Glover played 13 years earlier) and a relatively tame climax(compared not only to the 3 spectacular Lewis Gilbert ones but also to the likes of TB's underwater battle and OHMSS's Piz Gloria final assault) has made the 1981 Bond film feel more like an expensive episode of Moore's classic 1962-1969 TV series rather than one of my favorite Bond films. So I suppose that would be my controversial opinion.