And the Bondie for inspired casting/under-rated performance for an actress...page 134

Comments

Agree with some of the opinions that Blofeld was effective as an unseen menace...
    But have to go with my favourite Bond movie,
    TELLY SAVALAS was a marvellous and memorable villain!
  • ProfJoeButcherProfJoeButcher Bless your heart
    edited July 2020 Posts: 1,692
    I think the cool guy answer is faceless Blofeld, and he's almost certainly going to win here, but to me he's a pantomime villain for children. He's hardly different to Dr Claw.

I've never much liked Pleasance in YOLT either. Tom Sears on James Bond Radio once described him as looking like he enjoys golden showers, and I think it's a perfect description (though Tom loves him). He doesn't seem tough, he doesn't seem clever, and he doesn't seem like he'd be the head of this powerful organization.

Love Telly. Physically and intellectually convincing. He may be too American, but I kind of like his gangster quality. I do get bothered by the way he falls for Tracy's ridiculous "oh I'm starting to like you" ruse.

Charles Gray is my vote. Drag bit aside, he plays the role very straight, and delivers very good lines very well. He's certainly clever, and is big enough a guy to be some sort of threat, at least compared to Pleasance.

I also liked Christoph Waltz and considered making him my vote as he's unlikely to get any. He's clever, creepy without being a freak, and sells his madness without making you question his competence. And as I think I've mentioned elsewhere, he has one of my gavoeite villain lines: "I've really put you through it, haven't I?" He's also great in the boardroom and in the torture scene--love the no socks and "I'm sorry James, I can't hear you"

But it's Charles Gray. Just a joy to watch.
  • marcmarc Universal Exports
    Charles Gray

The scenes with Blofeld in the Whyte House and on the oil rig are just Grayt! Unseen Blofeld is a nice idea and makes for some interesting scenes, but FRWL/TB/NSNA suffer massively from lacking a showdown with the main villain, IMO, so that's the worst for me.
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    Savalas in an avalanche.

Unseen Blofeld, despite being an offscreen cameo, is getting votes because most of the seen Blofelds were so terrible!
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    echo wrote: »
    Savalas in an avalanche.

Unseen Blofeld, despite being an offscreen cameo, is getting votes because most of the seen Blofelds were so terrible!

Savalas is pretty good but I find the unseen Blofeld is ironically the closest in manner to the Blofeld I picture in the books. Charles Gray is awful. Truly, truly terrible. Fitting for the film though, admittedly. Waltz could easily have been the best Blofeld, had it not been for you know what...
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    As far as visible on screen Blofelds go, it would go to Telly Savalas. However I've always liked the unseen Blofeld the best. I feel his mysteriousness of the unknown and invisible villain was a highlight of the early films. Therefore Anthony Dawson and Eric Pohlmann get my vote.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    Anthony Dawson and Eric Pohlmann who combined as Blofeld in FRWL and TB (Telly comes in second, but I love the man we don't see, and the man, by TB, who won't even let his organization see who he is).
  • edited July 2020 Posts: 3,564
    This one is truly a toss-up for me. I do love the unseen Blofelds of FRWL & TB... Telly is to my mind the best of the seen Blofelds... and Charles Gray and NotBlo both have their charms. (The delicatessen in stainless steeeeeeeeel, once as reviled as the slide-whistle car stunt, seems to be gaining a new appreciation among some fans.) I guess I'll give Telly my vote this time around. Better the Blofeld you know than the Blofeld you don't...
  • FatherValentineFatherValentine England
    edited July 2020 Posts: 737
    Hard to know who to vote for because they are all so specific to their films. You can't really say Charles Gray was a bad Blofeld, because none of them are very much like what is in the books. Savalas for example, is arguably the worst because he is in a film that completely throws away the continuity built up over the first five, and his performance is totally at odds with those who portrayed him before. This is despite it being perfect for OHMSS.

Because of this, Dawson and Pohlmann are arguably the most appropriate because so much is left to the imagination. But they/he don't do anything within the films themselves, so how can their version of Blofeld be considered the best?

I don't rate Pleasance at all either. YOLT is probably my second least favourite Bond film anyway, and he doesn't help.

Waltz is given the most to do. But they saddled him with complete rubbish in the script. When he tells Bond he is the author of all his pain, Bond doesn't even seemed fussed. It's all for nothing.

Dawson/Pohlmann - perfect but do they really count here?
    Pleasance - definitive, but useless and irritating.
    Savalas - great presence, a threat, good character...but is it Blofeld as we expect him?
    Gray - I like him very much. But it's a comic performance in a comedy film.
    Von Sydow - probably the most rounded, but are we allowed to vote for him?
    Waltz - could have been the best. Might still be (even though it's a huge long shot).

I'm going for Gray, just because I don't think he'll get many votes. Otherwise Von Sydow.

Savalas!
  • edited July 2020 Posts: 2,896
    The only two Blofelds to avoid campiness (which makes it hard to take a villain seriously or find him threatening) were Savalas and Dawson/Pohlmann. You can make a good argument that in visual terms the Dawson/Pohlmann Blofeld was the most effective, but that version of Blofeld was restricted to being a behind-the-scenes figure, whereas Savalas plays an all-round Supervillain, equally at home stroking a cat or skiing in pursuit of Bond. So Savalas should have the accolade of the best Blofeld. He was behind the scenes and in front of them, projected menace and twisted charm, and fully embodied an Olympian champion of evil. No other Blofeld could say "I mean what I say...and l'II do what I claim" as convincingly as Savalas.
    Revelator wrote: »
    The only two Blofelds to avoid campiness (which makes it hard to take a villain seriously or find him threatening) were Savalas and Dawson/Pohlmann. You can make a good argument that in visual terms the Dawson/Pohlmann Blofeld was the most effective, but that version of Blofeld was restricted to being a behind-the-scenes figure, whereas Savalas plays an all-round Supervillain, equally at home stroking a cat and skiing in pursuit of Bond. So Savalas should have the accolade of the best Blofeld. He was a behind the scenes and in front of them, projected menace and twisted charm, and fully embodied an Olympian champion of evil. No other Blofeld could say "I mean what I say...and l'II do what I claim" as convincingly as Savalas.

Love Savalas delivery of that line!
  • edited July 2020 Posts: 7,500
    Hidden Blofeld gets my vote.

I find Telly's version slightly overrated. Just sue me.
  • RichardTheBruceRichardTheBruce I'm motivated by my Duty.
    The DRP vote goes to

E791-A131-DD29-4-EB3-BDDB-C68-B00-F0-BC4-C.jpg

Oops, we mean

Blofeldpleasance67.jpg
    Hey--isn't that a different cat in that second picture?

Anyway, unseen Blofeld with the visible Blofeld's Cat.

• edited July 2020 Posts: 2,896
    jobo wrote: »

As you wish. Expect to hear from Gebrüder Gumpold very soon.

• MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython “Baja?!”
    I think each actor that played Blofeld works for the film that they're portrayed in. The Faceless Blofeld works in FRWL/TB particularly in a similar manner to how Terence Young had Dr. No introduced as just an ominous voice for we can't see the face. Pleseance more over the top and grandiose approach of YOLT. Savalas Blofeld reflects the more stripped down approach and physicality of OHMSS. Gray complimenting the wit of DAF's script and Hamilton's tone. Waltz working for the more somber and offbeat tone of SP.

If you tried putting each of them into a different film I am not sure their portrayal would work well in them. Interestingly, Savalas was offered to come back for DAF (!!!) but demanded a higher salary so of course EON balked at that and looked elsewhere. Has there been any confirmation if EON asked Pleasance back for either OHMSS or DAF? I would assume they'd have done the latter if only to reinforce OHMSS being erased and serving as more of a "true" sequel to YOLT.
  • GoldenGunGoldenGun Per ora e per il momento che verrà
    Unseen Blofeld wins very sinister and the scenes are very atmospheric.

Telly would win a seen Blofeld category

I concur. The mystery surrounding a character that we never see the face of, together with that weird voice gives Dawson/Pohlmann the edge.

Though I'd certainly put Telly in the second spot, making him my favourite credited Blofeld.
    Revelator wrote: »
    jobo wrote: »

As you wish. Expect to hear from Gebrüder Gumpold very soon.

Well, if you can get him!
  • LocqueLocque Escaped from a Namur prison
    Donald Pleasance for being the most iconic Blofeld.
  • Agent_OneAgent_One Ireland
    I love Savalas' portrayal, and Pleasance/Gray are good in their own ways, but Anthony Dawson and Eric Pohlmann are undoubtedly my favourite. There's something so creepy about Faceless!Blofeld. Your own imagination of what he looks like is perhaps more powerful than any definite look could be. Of course, you have to show the monster at some point, but this was still great.
  • thedovethedove hiding in the Greek underworld
    Very interesting votes and thoughts expressed here. I wonder if the producers always wanted Blofeld reflected differently in different films or whether that evolved over the years. When you think about the Blofeld in FRWL and TB I can't picture any of the Blofeld actors fitting that mold. I do wonder if the plan with the original Blofeld for YOLT was to be dubbed by Polhmann.
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    I think each actor that played Blofeld works for the film that they're portrayed in. The Faceless Blofeld works in FRWL/TB particularly in a similar manner to how Terence Young had Dr. No introduced as just an ominous voice for we can't see the face. Pleseance more over the top and grandiose approach of YOLT. Savalas Blofeld reflects the more stripped down approach and physicality of OHMSS. Gray complimenting the wit of DAF's script and Hamilton's tone. Waltz working for the more somber and offbeat tone of SP.

If you tried putting each of them into a different film I am not sure their portrayal would work well in them. Interestingly, Savalas was offered to come back for DAF (!!!) but demanded a higher salary so of course EON balked at that and looked elsewhere. Has there been any confirmation if EON asked Pleasance back for either OHMSS or DAF? I would assume they'd have done the latter if only to reinforce OHMSS being erased and serving as more of a "true" sequel to YOLT.

Oddly, I can see Savalas working in DAF.
    echo wrote: »
    Oddly, I can see Savalas working in DAF.

Savalas versus Connery would have made testosterone leak from the screen.

• Agent_OneAgent_One Ireland
    edited July 2020 Posts: 280
    Savalas would've been perfect for a faithful adaption of the Blofeld Trilogy, or a revenge driven DAF. As an aside, I am rather curious as to how Pleasance would've done with OHMSS...
    I kind of feel about Blofeld in the films like I do about Christmas: the anticipation is more fun than the reveal. I like the anticipation of this great villain behind the scenes pulling the strings, but like when all the presents have been opened what we get isn't as always as satisfying as the build-up and it's been that way largely with Blofeld. The idea comes off so much better than the execution.

So I gladly vote for Anthony Dawson and Eric Pohlmann.

After all the build-up and the grand reveal, the Pleasance Blofeld is really a disappointment, a bizarre-looking man to distract from the lack of an interesting character. This is a case where the character lent to the impression as someone you wanted to see. I don't know if this is because Roald Dahl was YOLT's writer or if Maibaum could've done a better job, but he's terribly underdeveloped and a baddie like Goldfinger blows him out of the water. He does nothing but toss out threats, sneer and threaten to shoot Bond.

Savalas is the best actual Blofeld helped by being a physical threat as well as a leader who actually takes part in the chases, but can come off like he'd be a better henchman than main villain. I used to find Gray's Blofeld frightening when I was younger, he just seemed creepy, but the older me just finds him okay.

From the minute they announced Waltz, it wasn't going to work. Here's a guy who has been one of the go-to villains for the past decade, so what was he going to add to the Blofeld legend he didn't do with, say, Hans Landa. The result speaks for itself. The definitive Blofeld has yet to be portrayed onscreen.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    Waltz could have easily been the definitive Blofeld had the writing been better. There wasn't much wrong with his performance and when watching it I wasn't really thinking of Hans Landa.
  • GadgetManGadgetMan Lagos, Nigeria
    Waltz could have easily been the definitive Blofeld had the writing been better. There wasn't much wrong with his performance and when watching it I wasn't really thinking of Hans Landa.

Yeah, Waltz's performance wasn't that bad. He just lacked that genuine nefarious demeanour, the teaser trailer presented to us. The only thing not too good about his performance, is he seems a tad too loquacious....to the point of looking comical.
  • LeonardPineLeonardPine The Bar on the Beach
    GadgetMan wrote: »

Yeah, Waltz's performance wasn't that bad. He just lacked that genuine nefarious demeanour, the teaser trailer presented to us. The only thing not too good about his performance, is he seems a tad too loquacious....to the point of looking comical.

Waltz was fine. The writing and film wasn't.
    That's the thing, he was just "fine." The buildup to his full appearance is great - the funeral, the SPECTRE meeting, and the start of the meteor room reunion - but once we have the full reveal, it's a fairly generic interpretation of Blofeld... some smirking, some torture, comical revenge schemes, etc.
  • MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython “Baja?!”
    Doesn't help that he was hardly in the film at all. Will be interesting to see how he's used in NTTD and if that serves as an improvement from his initial portrayal on SP.