And the Bondie for inspired casting/under-rated performance for an actress...page 134

Comments

• Max_The_ParrotMax_The_Parrot ATAC to St Cyril’s
    The DRP hate to follow the rest of the flock, yet can not deny that Lazenby’s last-last scene (by default as it’s his first-last scene) deserves the Bondie.

As for the others, it’s clear that last-last scenes don’t hold up well for any of the Bonds. As much as I am a fan of The Broz DAD isn’t a pretty cringey last-last. However we just hate the LTK ending. We can never imagine any version of Bond jumping from a height into a pool to win the girl. Yes there’s the calculated risk she may have left if he isn’t quick, but we still think Bond would rather saunter down the stairs, stopping off for a vodka martini (and a possible quick one with Lupe) on the way 🤷
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    Lazenby cradles Tracy and tells the cop he has all the time in the world from OHMSS wins

Worst DAD
  • jabalijabali Los Angeles
    Best: OHMSS by far. Beautifully shot (no pun intended!) and Lazenby's performance with Barry's score backing him is just devastating every time I watch. The final frame of the bullet hole just makes your heart sink.

Worst: Tough choice, as DAD is pretty awful, but I have to go with A View to a Kill. The age difference, the banter about dropping the soap, the noise Moore makes at the very end...can't do it.
  • PrinceKamalKhanPrinceKamalKhan Monsoon Palace, Udaipur
    "I know you're young enough to be my granddaughter...but would you mind getting the soap that I just dropped?" Awkward doesn't even begin to cover it...

I agree and I voted for it as the worst one in this round also but Tanya Roberts is actually 2 years older than Carole Bouquet whose Melina character went skinny dipping with Moore's Bond 2 films earlier in the final scene of FYEO. I wonder why no one appears to be critical of that?
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    edited July 2020 Posts: 8,038
    "I know you're young enough to be my granddaughter...but would you mind getting the soap that I just dropped?" Awkward doesn't even begin to cover it...

I agree and I voted for it as the worst one in this round also but Tanya Roberts is actually 2 years older than Carole Bouquet whose Melina character went skinny dipping with Moore's Bond 2 films earlier in the final scene of FYEO. I wonder why no one appears to be critical of that?

A lot of people are. For me, Roger's best match was Maud Adams in Octopussy.
  • ProfJoeButcherProfJoeButcher Bless your heart

I think Bouquet looks older than Roberts does, and Moore looks significantly (more than four years) better in FYEO than he does in AVTAK.
  • goldenswissroyalegoldenswissroyale Switzerland
    The age gap in AVTAK doesn't bother me that much. The location itself isn't spectacular enough for a Bond ending. (Same goes i.e. for TLD). The other issue is the fact that Q is presented like Peeping Tom here (yes this happens also in MR etc. But it is really forced here: enter a house and go to the bathroom with yout camera?! AVTAK must get the Klebbie!
    OHMSS
    DAD is the worst end to any Bond film
  • Tokoloshe2Tokoloshe2 Northern Ireland
    OHMSS has to win it, and although I'm not keen on the cringiness of AVTAK it did suit the times better than DAD which is just truly, inexcusably awful.
    Tokoloshe2 wrote: »
    OHMSS has to win it, and although I'm not keen on the cringiness of AVTAK it did suit the times better than DAD which is just truly, inexcusably awful.

What do you mean by the AVTAK scene suiting the times better than DAD? I'm truly curious about what that means.
  • Tokoloshe2Tokoloshe2 Northern Ireland
    BT3366 wrote: »
    Tokoloshe2 wrote: »

What do you mean by the AVTAK scene suiting the times better than DAD? I'm truly curious about what that means.

I mean that Roger's flirty behaviour with a much younger wouldn't look as bad in 1985 as it does to us now. It's easy to fall into the trap of judging the past against modern standards.
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    Although much younger than Moore, Playboy model/Charlie's Angel Tanya Roberts doesn't come across as innocent, in the way of some other Bond girls.

"Drat, dropped the soap."

"I'll get it."

It's like the end of every episode of The Love Boat. It's campy.
  • Agent_OneAgent_One Ireland
    edited July 2020 Posts: 280
    echo wrote: »
    Although much younger than Moore, Playboy model/Charlie's Angel Tanya Roberts doesn't come across as innocent, in the way of some other Bond girls.

"I'll get it."

Campy =/ good. I love camp as much as the next Moore fan, but this is just too much. I felt the same way with Melina in FYEO; a platonic ending would've been far more interesting.
    I'm sure Moore would've objected to having a platonic ending to any of his films!
  • thedovethedove hiding in the Greek underworld
    I stride on to the stage and get ready to make history! This is the first dual category announcement!

The Bondie for Best final scene as Bond goes to George Lazenby for OHMSS. This emotional scene received 19 votes.

Another final scenes to receive votes were DAF with 2 votes, and LTK with 3 votes.

The Klebbie for worst final scene as Bond goes to Roger Moore for AVTAK. This shower scene received 13 votes.

The academy also voted for Brosnan in DAD with 8 votes, and Dalton in LTK with 2. If we were including the un-official entries then NSNA received 1 vote.

Okay lets move on back to the Bondie side of the things with best Blofeld! We have had some very different portrayals of our main baddie. The bald headed heavy has been played by a few actors. Lets reward who we think has played him best!
    • Donald Pleasance in YOLT with a scar and a very scared pussy cat!
    • Telly Savalas in OHMSS quoting poetry and skiing!
    • Charles Gray in DAF dressing in drag and not going down with the ship, or rig
    • Christoph Waltz in SP as a step brother of Bond who is the author of Bond's pain.
    • Anthony Dawson and Eric Pohlmann who combined as Blofeld in FRWL and TB

Okay dear academy who delivered the best performance as Blofeld in the Bond series!
  • DwayneDwayne New York City
    edited July 2020 Posts: 2,629

I think Bouquet looks older than Roberts does, and Moore looks significantly (more than four years) better in FYEO than he does in AVTAK.

+1
    IMO, the role of Melina Havelock (as written and acted) seems to be more “mature” than Stacy (AVTAK). However, that could be due to the revenge angle that drives the character. In addition, other than what’s implied by the double robe drops, we really don’t see Bond and Melina do anything. And in line with @generalGogol’s comment, that is about as platonic as you are going to get in a Roger Moore Bond movie!

@Echo. While Tanya Roberts did do a nude photo spread for the magazine for the October, 1982 issue (in conjunction with that year's “The Beastmaster“), I don’t really think you can label her as a “playboy model.” Even Maryam d’abo did a nude spread around the time that time TLD was released.
    :))
  • R1s1ngs0nR1s1ngs0n France
    Love Telly but Pleasance is the quintessential Blofeld for me. The scar, the voice, the piercing stare and even the way he strokes that very brave cat... it's all there.
  • MooseWithFleasMooseWithFleas Philadelphia
    Give me Telly Savalas. Just the way he holds a cigarette alone does it, what a mad man!
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    edited July 2020 Posts: 8,038
    Gonna go in for Anthony Dawson and Eric Pohlmann who combined as Blofeld in FRWL and TB, simply because I liked Blofeld being presented as a mysterious puppet master.
    thedove wrote: »
    I stride on to the stage and get ready to make history! This is the first dual category announcement!

The Bondie for Best final scene as Bond goes to George Lazenby for OHMSS. This emotional scene received 19 votes.

Another final scenes to receive votes were DAF with 2 votes, and LTK with 3 votes.

The Klebbie for worst final scene as Bond goes to Roger Moore for AVTAK. This shower scene received 13 votes.

The academy also voted for Brosnan in DAD with 8 votes, and Dalton in LTK with 2. If we were including the un-official entries then NSNA received 1 vote.

Very happy to read that DAF's ending got 0 worst votes.

For this round I vote for

Anthony Dawson and Eric Pohlmann who combined as Blofeld in FRWL and TB. Under Terence Young's direction, the Dawson/Pohlmann combo provided an effectively ominous introduction to the character that sadly none of the succeeding Blofelds lived up to IMHO.

edited July 2020 Posts: 3,262
    Agent_One wrote: »
    echo wrote: »

"I'll get it."

Campy =/ good. I love camp as much as the next Moore fan, but this is just too much. I felt the same way with Melina in FYEO; a platonic ending would've been far more interesting.

In retrospect Bond/Melina resembled Bond/Camille in QOS 27 years before the fact. It also reminded me of the usual platonic relationships Moore's The Saint had with many of his female guest stars.
    I'm sure Moore would've objected to having a platonic ending to any of his films!

Not just Moore. In the context of 1981, 0010 of the previous 0011 Bond films provided the standard happy ending of Bond ending up with the girl and in the 001 tragic one he still was with her at the sad end. It probably would've been unthinkable to not only Moore, but to EON, UA and the general movie going public to have FYEO end any other way even if it felt like Bond/Melina had a basically platonic, non-romantic alliance throughout the film with the closing love scene abruptly tacked on because it was an expected part of the formula.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Savalas, but I could just as easily have given it to the unseen Blofeld.
  • LeonardPineLeonardPine The Bar on the Beach
    Much as i like Telly Savalas as Blofeld i do think an unseen Blofeld adds menace and mystery. Personally i was never a fan of Blofeld's character in the books.

So my vote is for Anthony Dawson and Eric Pohlmann who combined as Blofeld in FRWL and TB
    Dawson and Pohlmann please. Keeping Blofeld’s face hidden was a masterstroke of the early films.

I love the ‘?’ in the cast list at the end of the films too.

Savalas would be my second choice.
  • Max_The_ParrotMax_The_Parrot ATAC to St Cyril’s
    The DRP vote goes to

E791-A131-DD29-4-EB3-BDDB-C68-B00-F0-BC4-C.jpg

Oops, we mean

Blofeldpleasance67.jpg

• Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    edited July 2020 Posts: 23,395
    Unseen Blofeld wins very sinister and the scenes are very atmospheric.

Telly would win a seen Blofeld category
  • M_BaljeM_Balje Amsterdam, Netherlands
    FRWL/TB Blofeld.

2. Telly Savalas
    3. Charles Gray. Big fan of his mask /copy's thing and i hope there wil use that again when there replace Waltz.
    4. BB (Brother Blofeld) Waltz
    5. FYEO Man in wheel chair is not Blofeld
    6. Pleasence
    7. NSNA
  • OctopussyOctopussy Piz Gloria, Schilthorn, Switzerland.
    Telly
  • goldenswissroyalegoldenswissroyale Switzerland
    Faceless Blofeld.
  • MalloryMallory Do mosquitoes have friends?
    But what about "Not-Blofeld" offering Bond a delicatessen in stainless steeeeeeel...!

Anyway, I jest. Pleasance is the iconic Blofeld that I think of whenever anyone mentions him. But in terms of effectiveness I have always preferred Savalas, he is very charming and also a great physical presence too.