And the Bondie for inspired casting/under-rated performance for an actress...page 134

Comments

• BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    Octopussy wrote: »
    We're voting purely for the car and that alone. I stand by my answer as a 2x Alfa owner that the GTV6 is beautiful and the other cars in the list can't even hold a candle to it, IMO. I just wanted to point out that the chase it's involved in has to be one of the most underrated in the series.

Well said @Octopussy it is a wonderful chase that omits the laughs and silliness, and is instead a real race of tension. For a few moments of over the top gags which do mar the film, from the train sequence onward, Octopussy is one of the most thrilling and tense conclusions to a Bond film.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Benny wrote: »
    Octopussy wrote: »
    We're voting purely for the car and that alone. I stand by my answer as a 2x Alfa owner that the GTV6 is beautiful and the other cars in the list can't even hold a candle to it, IMO. I just wanted to point out that the chase it's involved in has to be one of the most underrated in the series.

Well said @Octopussy it is a wonderful chase that omits the laughs and silliness, and is instead a real race of tension. For a few moments of over the top gags which do mar the film, from the train sequence onward, Octopussy is one of the most thrilling and tense conclusions to a Bond film.

Yeah I do really like how it gets quite properly serious as the bomb ticks down. This chase is part of it: there’s no silly jumping-onto-a-bus-roof or anything about it: James isn’t playing games here.

Although you do sort of wonder why he doesn’t drive to the next phone :D
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    jobo wrote: »
    I have a sneaky suspicion the AMC Hornet gets its votes based on the stunt it performs, even though we were specifically told "We are to judge the car and not the circumstance it was used"...

I'm not keen on the stunt, mainly because it's ruined by the slidewhistle. I just like the car!
    I have a sneaky suspicion the AMC Hornet gets its votes based on the stunt it performs, even though we were specifically told "We are to judge the car and not the circumstance it was used"...

I'm not keen on the stunt, mainly because it's ruined by the slidewhistle. I just like the car!

I think it's a cool stunt, regardless of the stupid slidewhistle. But just judging the car: c'mon, it's an AMC. Nothing worth writing home about here...

I'm not a gearhead, but Mustang's in general never did anything for me in terms of looks and neither did the Alfa.
  • thedovethedove hiding in the Greek underworld
    Okay the tie has been broken by this latest round of voting. Interesting that some voters were having difficulty separating the car from the chase. I open the glovebox of my favourite car of the series the Citroen 2CV. The winner of best gadget-less car driven by James Bond is...the Ford Mustang from Diamonds are Forever it received 8 votes in our tie breaker.

The Alpha on the way to the circus received 5 votes as did the AMC Hornet from TMWTGG! Great round and thanks again to @GoldenGun for the category and nominations.

I was humming "Make It Last All Night" the other day and I noticed that some of the movies have secondary songs in the soundtrack. I was drawn to the end titles and from TLD through to TWINE we were blessed to get a song that was different from the titles. 5 songs, perfect for a category! One of these songs became a top 10 smash for Celine Dion! So lets give a Bondie to best song over the end credits!

The nominees are:
    • If There was a Man by the Pretenders from TLD
    • If You Asked Me To by Patti Labelle from LTK
    • The Experience of Love by Eric Serra from GE
    • Surrender by K.D. Lang from TND
    • Only Myself to Blame by Scott Walker from TWINE

To assist the esteemed academy I've placed the links if you need to hear one of the nominees!
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    Surrender, easily.
  • R1s1ngs0nR1s1ngs0n France
    Surrender
    This is hard. If There Was a Man is a really good song, both Pretenders songs from TLD are strong, and also work in the soundtrack. But so does Surrender. If You Asked Me To became a bigger hit for other artists over the years since. The other two songs are both pretty bad.

I will take Surrender, which I prefer to the two Oscar-winners that would follow it as well.
  • Max_The_ParrotMax_The_Parrot ATAC to St Cyril’s

Ah I missed that, I’ll hold my hands up and say guilty as charged on that one, although a bit of a shame when it’s a Bondie to try and totally remove all Bond-emotion from the decision.

As punishment I’ll put myself into exile for the this new round and trust I’ll be welcomed back subsequently.
  • edited June 2020 Posts: 7,500
    Surrender by a country mile! It is the only one of the nominees I would say is a good song.

I know there are som fanatic Serra fanboys on these boards, but I still expect a landslide.
  • thedovethedove hiding in the Greek underworld
    edited June 2020 Posts: 4,984

Ah I missed that, I’ll hold my hands up and say guilty as charged on that one, although a bit of a shame when it’s a Bondie to try and totally remove all Bond-emotion from the decision.

As punishment I’ll put myself into exile for the this new round and trust I’ll be welcomed back subsequently.

You sir are allowed to squawk in on any nomination and don't need to be punished for any of your past votes!

As for the current category, I realize Surrender has it's fans and I am one, however I must admit I am a sucker for The Pretenders and love that song! So if I was voting I would probably take "If There was a Man". Sadly I can't find it on Spotify, just cover versions.
  • Max_The_ParrotMax_The_Parrot ATAC to St Cyril’s
    Well if you insist, on behalf of the DRP I slip a discrete note under @the-dove’s hotel room door (yes, he wrote his number on my thigh with his lipstick during dinner) to nominate Surrender .... it’s the only one of the bunch I sing along to when it appears rather than pressing stop prematurely on the remote at that point, so it must mean it’s the winner.

I do have some tablets if anyone else is suffering from premature stopping of the remote syndrome, just DM me for a confidential service.
  • RichardTheBruceRichardTheBruce I'm motivated by my Duty.
    I'm a huge follower of Chrissie Hynde and The Pretenders. She's as good as ever, they should break out and bring her back.

For this, "If You Asked Me To" by Patti Labelle from LTK.
  • DwayneDwayne New York City
    I'm a huge follower of Chrissie Hynde and The Pretenders. She's as good as ever, they should break out and bring her back.

For this, "If You Asked Me To" by Patti Labelle from LTK.

I concur on both counts. "If You Asked Me To" for the win. BTW, there is an interesting story about the attached music video.

From Wiki:

The music video was filmed the day after the funeral of LaBelle's sister Jacqueline "Jackie" Padgett who died of lung cancer at age 43. (She was the third of LaBelle's sisters to die; all three of Patti's sisters died before age 44.) As such, the context of the song changed dramatically, as a mourning LaBelle, dressed in black, sings the song in a church (with candles and mourning lilies), intercut with shots of her in tears.
  • GadgetManGadgetMan Lagos, Nigeria
    I love The Pretenders' 'If There Was A Man' as it serves as the Romantic/Love theme of the very Copacetic TLD score by Barry. I also love Serra's 'The Experience Of Love'. But I'll go with Arnold and Lang's Surrender.
  • Last_Rat_StandingLast_Rat_Standing Long Neck Ice Cold Beer Never Broke My Heart
    Surrender. Shoulda been the title song
  • j_w_pepperj_w_pepper Born on the bayou. I can still hear my old hound dog barkin'.
    Surrender, originally planned to be Tomorrow Never Dies until the producers had the idiot idea to replace it by Sheryl Crow's song (which I don't even dislike, but the other is far superior). Surrender is one of the top three Bond songs ever, whether we're thinking about themes, "end credit songs", or incidental music.
  • NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada
    Surrender
  • GoldenGunGoldenGun Per ora e per il momento che verrà
    I love all of these songs, but as a proud Serra defender my vote has to go to The Experience of Love ;)
  • jabalijabali Los Angeles
    Definitely Surrender for me. One of my favorite Bond songs in general.
  • edited June 2020 Posts: 3,564
    Sure, "Surrender" is awesome and SHOULD have been the theme song for TND. But "If There Was a Man" is just perfect for the end credits of TLD -- so Chrissie and the Pretenders get my vote this time around. And finally -- "Only Myself to Blame"? HUH? I swear, I can't remember ever hearing this song before! Now I'm going to have to watch TWINE again just to figure out why it is that this song never penetrated my consciousness before today!
  • PrinceKamalKhanPrinceKamalKhan Monsoon Palace, Udaipur
    Definitely If There was a Man by the Pretenders from TLD

It made an excellent romantic theme for Dalton Bond/Kara(my favorite Bond/Bond girl couple) and was woven well throughout the film and a good finale for the late John Barry's magnificent contributions to the series.

• edited June 2020 Posts: 565
    Im going to tailor my vote based upon which song best fit the end credits/soundtrack. With that, "If There Was a Man" is my vote.

Edit: I'll just add that I think "If You Asked Me To" is the best as a standalone and "Surrender" is the most Bond sounding, despite it coming across slightly like a parody.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    I’ll also go with If There Was A Man. It really was a perfect way to end Dalton’s first film (he did bring more testosterone to the role and he did have a more mature romance in this film; he’s the perfect “muse” for this song!).
    "If There Was a Man", followed, very closely, by "If You Asked Me To"
  • FatherValentineFatherValentine England
    Love If There Was a Man and Surrender (the latter should have been over the opening titles). But If You Asked Me To is an amazing song, it really is. So I go for that.
  • edited June 2020 Posts: 6,822
    Never really liked 'Surrender'
    My vote goes to The Pretenders 'If there was a man'
    The perfect end to a perfect Bond movie!
  • edited June 2020 Posts: 1,009
    Surrender is the most bondian of the lot, but being a soul-funk addict, I'll go for If You Asked Me To.
    Does Only Myself To Blame appear in TWINE? I remember Moby's version of Monty Norman's theme, but not that sappy, terrible, cacophonous so-called song Scott Walker did. I'd rather listen to LTK's Wedding Party, for Bond's sake!
    Patti
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    edited June 2020 Posts: 5,985
    I will also go for If There Was A Man.

I *almost* went for If You Asked Me to, because it has had the longest life of all of these songs (thanks to Céline).

P.S. Would be interesting to vote on random songs, like Do You Know How Christmas Trees Are Grown?
    Surrender is the most bondian of the lot, but being a soul-funk addict, I'll go for If You Asked Me To.
    Does Only Myself To Blame appear in TWINE? I remember Moby's version of Monty Norman's theme, but not that sappy, terrible, cacophonous so-called song Scott Walker did. I'd rather listen to LTK's Wedding Party, for Bond's sake!

No it doesn’t.