And the Bondie for inspired casting/under-rated performance for an actress...page 134

Comments

• mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited June 2020 Posts: 14,986
    GoldenGun wrote: »
    Thanks @jobo :)

@mtm and @M_Balje There were definitely other options of course, but I tried to keep things a bit diverse and up for debate.

Oh yeah: I'm not criticising the choices! :) It's a good list.

Quite surprised at the number of folks who like that horrid AMC though. It's got no style.
    Interesting to see the actual jump car here though:
    https://www.carsguide.com.au/oversteer/this-amc-hornet-is-up-for-auction-but-theres-a-twist-58407
  • thedovethedove hiding in the Greek underworld
    Wow wow wow! We are having a real race here! All nominees received votes right now there is a virtual three way tie for the win! I am declaring a sudden death round to break the ties! You can now only vote for one of these three! All votes are reset and you are allowed to vote again.
    • Mustang on the strip from DAF
    • Hornet flips for Bond from TMWTGG
    • Alfa Romero races to a circus from OP

Lets see which vehicle comes out on top!
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    It's obviously the Alfa! Look at it! :)

Alfa_Romeo_GTV6_Grand_Prix_01pop.jpg
  • LeonardPineLeonardPine The Bar on the Beach
    AMC Hornet for me 👍
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Between those, the Mustang. An uncle owned one around the same time (an orange one), and I remember I thought it was a really cool car. Nostalgia decides this time.
  • PrinceKamalKhanPrinceKamalKhan Monsoon Palace, Udaipur
    edited June 2020 Posts: 3,262
    thedove wrote: »
    Wow wow wow! We are having a real race here! All nominees received votes right now there is a virtual three way tie for the win! I am declaring a sudden death round to break the ties! You can now only vote for one of these three! All votes are reset and you are allowed to vote again.
    • Mustang on the strip from DAF
    • Hornet flips for Bond from TMWTGG
    • Alfa Romero races to a circus from OP

Lets see which vehicle comes out on top!

Of those 3: Mustang on the strip from DAF, the Steve McQueen Bullitt choice.
    Good about DAD not getting any love. That scene strikes a cord with me too! The way Pierce looks driving and the music is really a nice scene. I think you have inspired me to vote for this too!

Bond cruises into Cuba in a Ford Fairlane (DAD)

Lest the academy squawk about me voting, since I didn't have any thing to do with the nominees I am allowed to vote! :)

Thanks, @thedove !

• CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    I'm sticking with the AMC Hornet.
  • goldenswissroyalegoldenswissroyale Switzerland
    Mustang
  • GadgetManGadgetMan Lagos, Nigeria
    edited June 2020 Posts: 4,247
    Same again, the AMC Hornet.
    Alfa
  • MooseWithFleasMooseWithFleas Philadelphia
    AMC Hornet
  • edited June 2020 Posts: 7,500
    I have a sneaky suspicion the AMC Hornet gets its votes based on the stunt it performs, even though we were specifically told "We are to judge the car and not the circumstance it was used"...
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Yeah I am curious what people are finding so attractive about the AMC. It just looks like a Cortina, doesn't it? It's got nice wheels I guess...
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    jobo wrote: »
    I have a sneaky suspicion the AMC Hornet gets its votes based on the stunt it performs, even though we were specifically told "We are to judge the car and not the circumstance it was used"...

I'm not keen on the stunt, mainly because it's ruined by the slidewhistle. I just like the car!
  • R1s1ngs0nR1s1ngs0n France
    Hornet
    Still Alfa Romeo for me!
  • MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython “Baja?!”
    Mustang again.

I gotta say, I’m very perplexed by the love the Alfa is getting. It looks like any other genetic car from the 1980s. So plain. So boxy. So boring. The only car that’s less impressive is all those Audi’s that seemed most prevalent during John Glen’s run. Heck, it even features considerably in his 2001 film THE POINT MEN. Was the Audi a John Glen thing?
  • Last_Rat_StandingLast_Rat_Standing Long Neck Ice Cold Beer Never Broke My Heart
    Mustang. I have a soft spot for the classic Mustangs
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    Sticking with the Alfa
  • Sticking with the Mustang. As @Last_Rat points out, it is a true classic.
  • jabalijabali Los Angeles
    The Alfa's gorgeous, but I'll vote for the Mustang on this one. Just love the look of it.
  • edited June 2020 Posts: 3,564
    jobo wrote: »

I'm not keen on the stunt, mainly because it's ruined by the slidewhistle. I just like the car!

I think it's a cool stunt, regardless of the stupid slidewhistle. But just judging the car: c'mon, it's an AMC. Nothing worth writing home about here...
  • OctopussyOctopussy Piz Gloria, Schilthorn, Switzerland.
    mtm wrote: »
    Best gadgetless sports car/convertible driven by Bond
    • - Bond drives up to the mountains where it's cool in a Sunbeam Alpine (DN)
    • - Bond leads the police through a chase on the strip of Vegas Ford Mustang (DAF)
    • - Bond rolls and flips for Scaramanga in an AMC Hornet (TMWTGG)
    • - Bond races to a circus in an Alfa Romeo GTV6 (OP)
    • - Bond cruises into Cuba in a Ford Fairlane (DAD)

Pretty easy one for me, there: easily the coolest car on that list is the Alfa GTV6. Luckily it also gets to show off some of the best precision driving in a Bond film as a bonus- it's a lovely sexy little thing and the only cool one on the list.

Alfa_Romeo_GTV6_Grand_Prix_05pop.jpg

*Drool*

100% agree.

It's such an underrated chase in series, IMO.
  • edited June 2020 Posts: 565
    Octopussy wrote: »
    • - Bond leads the police through a chase on the strip of Vegas Ford Mustang (DAF)

Pretty easy one for me, there: easily the coolest car on that list is the Alfa GTV6. Luckily it also gets to show off some of the best precision driving in a Bond film as a bonus- it's a lovely sexy little thing and the only cool one on the list.

*Drool*

100% agree.

Now that I watch that, I just realized that the German police is the only police department in a Bond film that is not shown to be utterly incompetent. lol

My pick would have to be the Hornet, just because of the stunt and knowing how big of a deal it was. Otherwise, I'd go for the Alfa or the Mustang chase. The Alfa Romeo is refreshingly back-to-basics good (also note my comment above regarding the Polizei) and the Mustang chase is glitzy and glamorous.
  • edited June 2020 Posts: 7,500
    JamesStock wrote: »

*Drool*

100% agree.

Now that I watch that, I just realized that the German police is the only police department in a Bond film that is not shown to be utterly incompetent. lol

My pick would have to be the Hornet, just because of the stunt and knowing how big of a deal it was. Otherwise, I'd go for the Alfa or the Mustang chase. The Alfa Romeo is refreshingly back-to-basics good (also note my comment above regarding the Polizei) and the Mustang chase is glitzy and glamorous.

As I said... It is listed quite clearly that we are judging the car and not the circumstance it is being used...

If you want to vote for the stunt, I am sure you will get a chance later on at some point...
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom

*Drool*

100% agree.

I know we’re judging it on the car and not the chase, but that is a lovely one I agree. It’s a rare high speed chase in a Bond film and features some lovely precision driving by everyone.
    In fact the only other time I can think of when you see Bond getting flat out in a car is probably when the AMC is driving along the river.

And that car... lovely Italian cool.
    The Mustang is a decent one: it’s the last good looking one: thank heavens they made DAF when they did and not a couple of years later with the next model or Bond would have been driving this!
    1974%20Ford%20Mustang%20II%20front%20%C2%BE.jpg

Did anyone see the awesome way they exhibit it at the Bond in Motion show? So clever to use projection in this way (it also disguised what terrible condition it’s in! Those aren’t real reflections)
  • FatherValentineFatherValentine England
    Alfa
    Are we voting for just the car... or the sequence it is in?
    If its the former I go with the mustang, but the lattter is definitely the Alfa!!
  • OctopussyOctopussy Piz Gloria, Schilthorn, Switzerland.
    We're voting purely for the car and that alone. I stand by my answer as a 2x Alfa owner that the GTV6 is beautiful and the other cars in the list can't even hold a candle to it, IMO. I just wanted to point out that the chase it's involved in has to be one of the most underrated in the series.
    Mathis1 wrote: »
    Are we voting for just the car... or the sequence it is in?
    If its the former I go with the mustang, but the lattter is definitely the Alfa!!

Car only