And the Klebbie for worst/most illogical gadget used by James Bond....page 140

Comments

• mtmmtm United Kingdom
    I wouldn’t call Mendes lazy either. He tried, he just missed the mark big time, which was doubly disappointing after the rather excellent SF.

Yeah I hate the criticism 'lazy'. Even the very worst 007 director, whoever that may be, worked for a year or more on his film with 12 hour days or more and sweated buckets getting the thing made. Not a single one was ever lazy.
    Spottiswoode's direction resulted in a film that was the closest the Brosnan era came to having a solid John Glen-style entry. It's very workmanlike but the thing about that is that it works.

Yeah absolutely agree there. It's not flashy but it's a very enjoyable and functional Bond film- I often think it's my favourite of the Pierces.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    mtm wrote: »
    I wouldn’t call Mendes lazy either. He tried, he just missed the mark big time, which was doubly disappointing after the rather excellent SF.

Yeah I hate the criticism 'lazy'. Even the very worst 007 director, whoever that may be, worked for a year or more on his film with 12 hour days or more and sweated buckets getting the thing made. Not a single one was ever lazy.

"Lazy" has become a very trendy, and quite meaningless word around here. You can say it is a very lazy form of criticism.
  • M_BaljeM_Balje Amsterdam, Netherlands
    edited June 2020 Posts: 4,474
    Lee Tamahori. DAD have more to big things then SF/SP. With DAD there whant to make there Mi2 Bond movie, whyle with SF/SP there whant to make there 24/TDK/TDKR/Arrow version of Bond. Because of some wishdom/history i can understand a litle bit (but not like it) why there choose end of Spectre and for destroy/remade Astin Martin DB5, but Airplane scene i never liked it and whas something Tamahori was more responsible for (See making of DAD and From Script to Screen). Hovercraft those is to much for me those days too and some elements of later movies i blame more to Chris Corbould/stunt people. Hovercraft you blame more to Vic Armstrong. Also Halle Barry should have stay as villian.

SF is me Bond movie i dislike the moost, but DAD comes quike after that and TB. Sam Mendes feels a bit like English Steven Spielberg but then more element of doubt part of the movies he made and Mendes looks more crumpy then Spielberg sometimes already be.
  • edited June 2020 Posts: 7,506
    Funnily TND was my very first Bond film when I was 11 years old, and it turned me off from wanting to see more Bond films.

Funnily enough, TWINE was my very first Bond film. As a six year old I adored it and was hooked on Bond from that point onwards.

These days the 27 year old me ranks it as the second worst in the series, and, as previously stated, I would regard Apted's direction as the worst in the series. ;)
  • MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython “Baja?!”
    Speaking of John Glen, he ought to have been nominated for AVTAK in this current category. Granted, his worst directing moment is really in LTK when Dario is supposed to think he’s seeing an angel.
    Speaking of John Glen, he ought to have been nominated for AVTAK in this current category. Granted, his worst directing moment is really in LTK when Dario is supposed to think he’s seeing an angel.

That particular scene is indeed quite akward. There is also a very strange and lengthy shot in the PTS of Leiter and his deputies running away from the helicopter in slow motion for no real reason...
    Speaking of awkward: that warehouse “fight” is just... I’m surprised Cubby hired Glen after AVTAK. I suppose he was cheap enough.

• CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    Yes, Glen had some dodgy moments alright. Less so in the Dalton films, for me. The only one that sticks out is that aforementioned Dario moment. He was far more suited to Dalton than he was to Rog.
  • GadgetManGadgetMan Lagos, Nigeria
    edited June 2020 Posts: 4,247
    Funnily TND was my very first Bond film when I was 11 years old, and it turned me off from wanting to see more Bond films.

Really?....You turned it Off?. I find that rare though, not doubting you. But i think a film like Lawrence Of Arabia is the type one turns off as an 11yr old, but later likes it when one is older to understand the slow desert scenes and all that....TND is pure Boyish Bondian Delight, I love it....even if I know deep down in my heart that it isn't the Best Bond film.

TND I feel is the type of Bond film that excites a boy, but he later grows up to discover Gems like FRWL, GF, OHMSS, etc.
    GadgetMan wrote: »

Really?....You turned it Off?. I find that rare though, not doubting you. But i think a film like Lawrence Of Arabia is the type one turns off as an 11yr old, but later likes it when one is older to understand the slow desert scenes and all that....TND is pure Boyish Bondian Delight, I love it....even if I know deep down in my heart that it isn't the Best Bond film.

TND I feel is the type of Bond film that excites a boy, but he later grows up to discover Gems like FRWL, GF, OHMSS, etc.

"Turning off" and "being turned off" are two different things. As an example I am always severely "turned off" by the akward scene with Moore and Grace Jones in AVTAK, however I have always managed to resist the urge to "turn it off" ;)
  • ProfJoeButcherProfJoeButcher Bless your heart
    I'm confused abiut the Dario seeing an angel thing. What is that?
    jobo wrote: »

"Turning off" and "being turned off" are two different things. As an example I am always severely "turned off" by the akward scene with Moore and Grace Jones in AVTAK, however I have always managed to resist the urge to "turn it off" ;)

Yeah, sure I understand that....But if something turns you off, you're likely to turn it off. As for Moore and Grace Jones' scene, I know exactly what you mean :)
    I'm confused abiut the Dario seeing an angel thing. What is that?

• echoecho 007 in New York
    edited June 2020 Posts: 6,042
    It's hard to imagine what issue someone would have with Sam's directing.

One issue: the film should have been at least 15 minutes shorter. You could cut 2-3 minutes from the Spectre meeting alone, and another 2 from the plane chase.

That particular scene is indeed quite akward. There is also a very strange and lengthy shot in the PTS of Leiter and his deputies running away from the helicopter in slow motion for no real reason...

Also that very weird shot of Dalton (or is it Leiter?) galumping through the Florida shrubbery on the way to the helicopter.
  • thedovethedove hiding in the Greek underworld
    edited June 2020 Posts: 5,050
    The Dove comes out to present the award and the camera jump cuts to him making his way to the podium. In slow motion he opens the envelope and announces "The Klebbie for worst director goes to...Lee Tamahori for Die Another Day!" Cut to Lee taking a hang glider behind some CGI audience members to accept the award!

All nominees received votes with Lee receiving 24 votes, Forster receiving 7, Hamilton, Mendes and Spottiswoode each receiving one vote each.

Okay time to turn back to the best this category comes to us from @GoldenGun and I am quite glad as I am not a gear head or into cars too much but I think this will be a welcome category!

Our man has many gadget filled automobiles in his time on the screen. For this category we shall look at when he had a car that was not filled with gadgets and he had to use his wits and driving skills.

Best gadgetless sports car/convertible driven by Bond
    • - Bond drives up to the mountains where it's cool in a Sunbeam Alpine (DN)
    • - Bond leads the police through a chase on the strip of Vegas Ford Mustang (DAF)
    • - Bond rolls and flips for Scaramanga in an AMC Hornet (TMWTGG)
    • - Bond races to a circus in an Alfa Romeo GTV6 (OP)
    • - Bond cruises into Cuba in a Ford Fairlane (DAD)

We are to judge the car and not the circumstance it was used! Which one is the best! Time to hear from the academy! the scenes are provided to merely help provide a reference to those not motor inclined to vote. :)
  • Last_Rat_StandingLast_Rat_Standing Long Neck Ice Cold Beer Never Broke My Heart
    Gotta go with the Mustang Mach 1 from DAF
  • R1s1ngs0nR1s1ngs0n France
    TMWTGG’s AMC Hornet
  • peterpeter Toronto
    Not being a gear-head myself, just an admirer from a distance, I'd go with the Mustang in DAF.

(runner up would be the Hornet).

I like when Bond has to use driving skills (rather than gadgets) to get out of, or get into, sticky situations.
    TMWTGG it is. Even before the famous stunt, it has very kinetic driving. Like when Bond drives in reverse for a while before turning the car aggressively forward....might even be the first action film to perform such a stunt, along with the flip and roll stunt.

@GoldenGun’s remark is actually quite right, I did turn off TND right after the garage sequence when I first watched it.

It wouldn’t be until two years later that I gave GE a shot and that’s what hooked me into seeing more Bond.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    The Sunbeam Alpine. It is a beauty.
    Definitely 'Bond races in the Alfa Romeo in OP'
    A great and thrilling sequence!
  • LeonardPineLeonardPine The Bar on the Beach
    Gotta go with the AMC Hornet. A cool little car that performs one of the best stunts of the series.
    edited June 2020 Posts: 8,055
    Yeah, I'm going with the Hornet here as well.

The Alfa Romeo in OP would be my runner up as it's one of my favourite sequences in the film. It would have been number one if we were taking the sequences into account.
    Gotta go with the AMC Hornet. A cool little car that performs one of the best stunts of the series.

That stunt is excellent, but the rest of the set piece is fairly dull!
  • GoldenGunGoldenGun Per ora e per il momento che verrà
    Thanks @thedove for considering my suggestion.

To all the voters, I intended it as a vote for the most attractive looking car rather than the way the car is used.

With that in mind, I have to go for the Alfa!
  • j_w_pepperj_w_pepper Born on the bayou. I can still hear my old hound dog barkin'.
    I vote for the Mach 1. The Sunbeam looks nice, but is just another one of those late 50s' underpowered chick cars pretending to be a baby Thunderbird (another example from that period is the Auto Union 1000 SP). The Hornet is butt-ugly, like all AMCs of that period (though the Gremlin is even uglier due to NOT having a butt). The Alfa GTV makes me think of Neil Young...no, not Heart of Gold, but Rust Never Sleeps, from all I heard even right in the 80s. And the Fairlane's attraction is merely due to its age, which it must have reached only through the loving care of Cuban owners replacing its original parts with half-way fitting Soviet-made reject devices. The Mach I, on the other hand, is a close descendant of Bullitt's Mustang GT Fastback, in spite of having gained some weight compared with that one.
  • LeonardPineLeonardPine The Bar on the Beach
    edited June 2020 Posts: 3,985
    Mathis1 wrote: »

That stunt is excellent, but the rest of the set piece is fairly dull!

True, but out of the nominees that car is the one i'd like to own...!
    Sunbeam Alpine
    I don't have any particularly strong opinions on this subject... However my philosophy on many things is "when in doubt, vote Italian". So the Alfa in OP it is ;)