Who should/could be a Bond actor?

Comments

M_Blaise wrote: »
    I don't know about anybody else but I can't help and look at some of these new names, notably Callum Turner and Stuart Martin, as well as older names like Aiden Turner and Luke Evans, and feel a sort of hope about the possibilities for future Bonds. Some of these guys really have something, certainly not any of the more famous names who either can't act (Cavill) or need far too much stretching of the imagination to make it work (Hiddleston, Hoult).

The trouble is most Bond actors have done something that made them obvious for Bond beforehand (The Saint, Remington Steele, L4yer Cake), but those roles seem to be pretty rare, and British films rarely stand out as much as L4yer Cake (not a particularly great film outside of its star).

I think most fans want someone who can be Bond right now while still being young enough that they can wait a couple of years to take the role. But we don't know when it's even going to be possible to make films again, so maybe its better to be anxious about there not being a perfect Bond than how long it will take before large groups can work closely together again.

The thing is, the next Bond will not be Bond any time soon. So we need to look into an actor that can be Bond in a few years, whenever that may be. Some are too young now but may not be then. Some may be too old when Bond is recast. I'd say many names mentioned here are already too old.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    edited June 2020 Posts: 5,834
    It is gonna be really interesting to see who we’re all considering and championing for in however many years it’s gonna be before we get anything :)

And you make perfect points there @Ludovico
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Whether he's Bond or not, he needs to stop wearing his glitter harness! :D
  • edited June 2020 Posts: 6,665
    I'm sorry but why isn't everyone laughing their heads off with that Chalamet head over Brosnan's body? It's hilarious. I mean, some complain of things like "The Turner fanboy club", but then there are actually pic fakes of a 24 year old American going around.

Thank you for that, I'm really laughing my head off.

That picture... =)) It's precious. I'll have to post it here again. No...I can't, I'd genuinely be embarrassed to have that thing under my moniker. Really.
    mtm wrote: »
    Whether he's Bond or not, he needs to stop wearing his glitter harness! :D

Right? =))
    Looks like a glass jaw to me to you
  • suavejmfsuavejmf Harrogate, North Yorkshire, England
    I get why some have Callum picked as a good possible next Bond, what with his height, his age, and the varied parts in quality productions that he's been getting. I get that there is a buzz around him, and that plenty of people find him attractive. So I totally think he is a valid choice. However, having said all that...

I really don't like his face. No matter how many times people tell me he's attractive, I don't see it. And I don't think he looks like a classic English gentleman at all. I may well be prejudiced because of the rather unsympathetic roles I've seen him play, but whilst those in Callum's corner are totally right to point out he is often picked for 'handsome' roles, I will point out that he is often given roles where the audience isn't supposed to be rooting for him: in Emma he's not the romantic lead, he's the cad; in Fantastic Beasts he's the overbearing older brother; in War & Peace he's an incestuous cad; and in The Capture he's the guy the audience isn't sure they should be rooting for.

The casting agents must know he's got an alpha-male (if I may use the term, I know many feel it is outdated) quality, but a slightly unlikeable quality as well. He's kind of on the cusp. We have seen actors cross from one side to the other, it is possible, but it's definitely a hurdle for him to overcome, imo. At the moment, judging by this forum, he's a marmite choice.

I'm by no means trying to shut down people putting him forward, just putting a counterpoint to those saying how right he is for the role. I'm just not won over at all yet.

Good post. +1.
    talos7 wrote: »
    Calling it now....

Albert R Broccoli's Eon Productions presents TIMOTHEE CHALAMET as Ian Fleming's James Bond 007 in CHRISTOPHER NOLAN's BOND 26

80344368_107582047409570_7104455822658240512_o.jpg?_nc_cat=100&_nc_sid=8024bb&_nc_ohc=LqEVYkqTJWgAX9ujvjV&_nc_ht=scontent-lht6-1.xx&_nc_tp=6&oh=65b01b27694b47c32fdff26b149e9c45&oe=5F04DD02

5a2e6113-728c-4eeb-8c9a-c82a94c274db-TIMOTHE_CHALAMET.JPG?width=660&height=460&fit=crop&format=pjpg&auto=webp

The best young actor working today by a country mile....He's destined to be a legendary actor. He's perfectly suited for Bond. Perhaps a tiny bit young right now, but not by the time Bond 26 starts.....He reminds me a lot of Daniel Day-Lewis.

Also, his family is French, so the whole American thing is mitigated against anyway. Plus, we have had an American Batman and Superman. So we can live with this...

I can actually see it, particularly with a bit more age.

I can’t see at all personally and add to that being French. This is Bond not Mathis (the book version).

Happy for Nolan to direct though.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Univex wrote: »
    I'm sorry but why isn't everyone laughing their heads off with that Chalamet head over Brosnan's body? It's hilarious. I mean, some complain of things like "The Turner fanboy club", but then there are actually pic fakes of a 24 year old American going around.

That picture... =)) It's precious. I'll have to post it here again. No...I can't, I'd genuinely be embarrassed to have that thing under my moniker. Really.
    Right? =))

Aaaand... we're back to being nasty to each other. 8-|
  • JeremyBondonJeremyBondon Seeking out odd jobs with Oddjob @Tangier
    Look, in all honesty Chalamet certainly is a pretty lad, but again another twink. Most likely a bottom. Bond obviously a top, so no can't do.
  • FatherValentineFatherValentine England
    Have you seen The King?
  • edited June 2020 Posts: 175
    Maybe Armie Hammer could play Felix Leiter?

rs_1024x576-171004072838-1024.call-me-by-your-name.10417.jpg

MV5BZjdhNWY4YzItYzg3ZC00YmRkLWIyOWEtNTU0NzI0NjlhYmJlXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNDIzNDExOQ@@._V1_SX1777_CR0,0,1777,952_AL_.jpg

call-me-by-your-name-timothee-chalamet-timmy-Favim.com-6260026.jpg

The two do have some on screen chemistry.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    Have you seen The King?
    He’s very good in The King and other things; a great actor, but to me he’s not James Bond, and is very far from it. I also cant see it only taking him a few years to grow into the role if he was ever to be considered. Plus, again, Dune - a planned franchise if successful with Chalamet in the lead.
    Fair point. I was only really responding to the homophobia from the previous comment.

I think he could do it, but I understand the opposition to him completely.
    edited June 2020 Posts: 5,131
    suavejmf wrote: »
    Calling it now....

Albert R Broccoli's Eon Productions presents TIMOTHEE CHALAMET as Ian Fleming's James Bond 007 in CHRISTOPHER NOLAN's BOND 26

80344368_107582047409570_7104455822658240512_o.jpg?_nc_cat=100&_nc_sid=8024bb&_nc_ohc=LqEVYkqTJWgAX9ujvjV&_nc_ht=scontent-lht6-1.xx&_nc_tp=6&oh=65b01b27694b47c32fdff26b149e9c45&oe=5F04DD02

5a2e6113-728c-4eeb-8c9a-c82a94c274db-TIMOTHE_CHALAMET.JPG?width=660&height=460&fit=crop&format=pjpg&auto=webp

The best young actor working today by a country mile....He's destined to be a legendary actor. He's perfectly suited for Bond. Perhaps a tiny bit young right now, but not by the time Bond 26 starts.....He reminds me a lot of Daniel Day-Lewis.

Also, his family is French, so the whole American thing is mitigated against anyway. Plus, we have had an American Batman and Superman. So we can live with this...

I can’t see at all personally and add to that being French. This is Bond not Mathis (the book version).

Just checked online as he is very American (they are awful at British accents 99.9% of the time) as well as looking like a member of One Direction. It’s a ‘no’ from me.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    Fair point. I was only really responding to the homophobia from the previous comment.

I think he could do it, but I understand the opposition to him completely.
    Oh yeah, that really needs to stop. As someone whose bi myself; really don’t appreciate it.

Right? =))

Hey, the man took it off, didn't he? I wonder why. This thread is starting to look like a Bravo magazine cover. I was being funny about it, not actually nasty. You were the one who mentioned his glitter harness, weren't you? But if you want me to be serious about it, well... I actually don't have to, it all speaks for itself. It is ridiculous. As you are, trying to inflame me into a discussion again, as if you weren't making fun of it too. Get real.

Oh, and ...sure.
    I think in The King Chalamet comes across as very stoic and physical, with an underlying athleticism. The way he responds to killing during battle, and also to killing in cold blood, is very Bondian. The trajectory of his character within the film is also similar to that of Bond in the film version of CR - from callow, to traumatised, to hardened killer.

With his looks and youth, it would be a take on Bond that we haven't yet seen. But he certainly wouldnt be a safe choice, I get that.
    He is an American skinny boy. The last time that was eligible for Bond was in 1967 ;)
    Calling it now....

Just checked online as he is very American (they are awful at British accents 99.9% of the time) as well as looking like a member of One Direction. It’s a ‘no’ from me.

That's a no for me too, for the reasons above.

Look, in all honesty Chalamet certainly is a pretty lad, but again another twink. Most likely a bottom. Bond obviously a top, so no can't do.

What does ‘twink’ mean? Not good I presume?
    First, a black 47 year old actor.
    Now, a skinny 24 year old American boy.

Mind you, they are good actors and cool people, both of them. But what on earth have they got that makes them suitable for this role, @Pierce2Daniel. I know you like them. I do to. Well, I like Elba. A lot. The guy oozes charisma and cool. Chalamet is somewhat overrated IMO, but he'll get better, I believe, if he doesn't go for a decade long ego trip and bender. But why do you think they are good for this role? It just seems like you're picking people from diametrical opposite sides of the spectrum just to break the mould, or to go against the proverbial fur. Just as an exercise, who would you choose that is right on the money? An actor who just fits the bill. Who is as close as he could ever be to the classical depiction of this role? I'm genuinely curious about that, as so far you've only presented options that are jarringly chocking, to say the least.

Anyway, an amicable proposal, if you will.
    edited June 2020 Posts: 5,131

Mind you, they are good actors and cool people, both of them. But what on earth have they got that makes them suitable for this role, @Pierce2Daniel. I know you like them. I do to. Well, I like Elba. A lot. The guy oozes charisma and cool. Chalamet is somewhat overrated IMO, but he'll get better, I believe, if he doesn't go for a decade long ego trip and bender. But why do you think they are good for this role? It just seems like you're picking people from diametrical opposite sides of the spectrum just to break the mould, or to go against the proverbial fur. Just as an exercise, who would you choose that is right on the money? An actor who just fits the bill. Who is as close as he could ever be to the classical depiction of this role? I'm genuinely curious about that, as so far you've only presented options that are jarringly chocking, to say the least.

I thought it was a joke at first to be honest. But now I realise it isn’t at all.

He’s too old now, but I thought Welsh actor and oft-tipped potential 007 Ioan Gruffudd would have been worth a screen test.

I thought it was a joke at first to be honest. But now I realise it isn’t at all.

Well, I remember people in 98 talking about Tom Cruise as Bond, so this isn't new. People get infatuated with actors and they rally for them disregarding their suitability, or lack of. But I'm genuinely curious on who would @Pierce2Daniel choose if he had to stick to the parameters of the character as depicted in the books.
    I have given my reasons why Chalamet could (emphasis on could - as the thread's title indicates) do the role.

I am not a Craig fan necessarily. I believe he has given his all, takes it seriously, but his look really lets him down. Just my opinion. I accept that he has other qualities that make him appropriate for James Bond. Either way, they have tailored the series to his strengths. If they did that with some of the other candidates on this board then it could work.

Also, someone like @denbigh (who certainly knows his stuff) has come out and said that nothing about Timothy Dalton reminds him of James Bond. Now, to me that seems bizarre, but goes to show how we can all arrive at wildly different conclusions. No doubt some of you will think my thoughts on Craig are totally off base.

As for your exercise of picking someone right on the money - well I think that's the problem, isn't it? There simply isn't anyone. Anyone who could/should do the role has major drawbacks that come hand in hand with their more appropriate qualities.

Chalamet, going on from his performance in The King, has the poise, gravitas, stoicism, athleticism, and ability to perform cold blooded acts of violence (see how he deals with Sean Harris and Robert Pattinson in the film), but he lacks stature and at this moment in time, muscularity. He is also somewhat feminine and young looking.

Looking at Aidan Turner, he seems to be the closest in terms of looks to the classical depiction of Bond. I haven't seen anything he has done though, so got no idea about his voice etc.

Well, I remember people in 98 talking about Tom Cruise as Bond, so this isn't new. People get infatuated with actors and they rally for them disregarding their suitability, or lack of. But I'm genuinely curious on who would @Pierce2Daniel choose if he had to stick to the parameters of the character as depicted in the books.

Nobody is infatuated and even if we were, we don't work for EON so there's no need to panic.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    Also, someone like @denbigh (who certainly knows his stuff) has come out and said that nothing about Timothy Dalton reminds him of James Bond. Now, to me that seems bizarre, but goes to show how we can all arrive at wildly different conclusions. No doubt some of you will think my thoughts on Craig are totally off base..
    Haha thanks @FatherValentine

I do try :D And I should say I do think Dalton had the look and he’s a good actor, I just think the films and the scripts that they gave him really let him down, which made it hard for me to ever resonate with him in the role.

Also if people haven’t, they should check out Penny Dreadful with Dalton and Eva Green, written by John Logan, and produced by Sam Mendes. A great series. My favourite role of Dalton’s career, and Eva Green is extraordinary as always.
    Haha. Ok fair enough about the films letting him down. I take it back. You did explain that before but I ignored it so I could make my point. Sure you understand old boy...
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland

It's not exactly a compliment, no. "Bottom" even less so. He's basically being described above as a submissive gay man, as opposed to Bond typically being a dominant heterosexual.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited June 2020 Posts: 14,861

Right? =))

Hey, the man took it off, didn't he? I wonder why. This thread is starting to look like a Bravo magazine cover. I was being funny about it, not actually nasty. You were the one who mentioned his glitter harness, weren't you? But if you want me to be serious about it, well... I actually don't have to, it all speaks for itself. It is ridiculous. As you are, trying to inflame me into a discussion again, as if you weren't making fun of it too. Get real.

Oh, and ...sure.

I was taking the mick out of a movie star's outfit, that's not exactly the same as ridiculing a fellow forum user's suggestion or their photoshop work or calling them 'infactuated', which is nasty. Play nice.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    Haha. Ok fair enough about the films letting him down. I take it back. You did explain that before but I ignored it so I could make my point. Sure you understand old boy...
    It’s cool I see what you’re saying @FatherValentine , although I do also understand @Univex in his desire to hear a more “imaginable” choice in this specific situation. But yeah, check out Penny Dreadful - especially if you’re a Dalton fan. The series has too many Bond connections to not watch haha :D

It's not exactly a compliment, no. "Bottom" even less so. He's basically being described above as a submissive gay man, as opposed to Bond typically being a dominant heterosexual.
    And yeah it would be really nice if people didn’t resort to these kinds of comments.