And the Bondie for inspired casting/under-rated performance for an actress...page 134

Comments

Definitely Bond meets Christmas!
    Surprised Bond meeting Jinx in DAD is not in there, cringeworthy scene!!
  • Max_The_ParrotMax_The_Parrot ATAC to St Cyril’s
    The vote from the DRP goes to Bond and Camille .... admittedly a little unfairly as we are usually asleep or drifted off to do the washing up by that stage, but even if we’re still watching I’d rather pick the fluff out of the sofa than pay attention to the scene. Give me Dr Jones any day.
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    AVTAK. What a stupid, sleazy, poorly acted scene.
  • MooseWithFleasMooseWithFleas Philadelphia
    I will go with TWINE of this group. It is memorable but for the wrong reasons. Though it isn't my least favorite when looking at all of the first encounters.

If write-in's were being considered, I'd throw TMWTGG in there as Goodnight's intro is pretty forgettable and throwaway in my opinion.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    I've always loved the wedding scene in YOLT!! Oh well...

I will vote for Bond meets Pam in the bar. It's not actually the dialogue, or how it's portrayed, it's the aesthetics of the scene are so piss-poor it drags the entire scene down (and the "bar-room brawl" was so depressingly unfunny, and looked like a badly choreographed live-action cartoon)
  • Last_Rat_StandingLast_Rat_Standing Long Neck Ice Cold Beer Never Broke My Heart
    peter wrote: »

I will vote for Bond meets Pam in the bar. It's not actually the dialogue, or how it's portrayed, it's the aesthetics of the scene are so piss-poor it drags the entire scene down (and the "bar-room brawl" was so depressingly unfunny, and looked like a badly choreographed live-action cartoon)

🎶Dirty love.....🎶
  • peterpeter Toronto

🎶Dirty love.....🎶

lol!!... The terrible thing about this song @Last_Rat_Standing : it gets stuck in my head and at the oddest times.

Just seeing the words, and now it's in there again, going round and round, like a hamster on a wheel!
  • Last_Rat_StandingLast_Rat_Standing Long Neck Ice Cold Beer Never Broke My Heart

🎶Dirty love.....🎶

lol!!... The terrible thing about this song @Last_Rat_Standing : it gets stuck in my head and at the oddest times.

Just seeing the words, and now it's in there again, going round and round, like a hamster on a wheel!

They should make that the goal song for the Maple Leafs. 😄
  • peterpeter Toronto
    I would never want them to score!
  • GoldenGunGoldenGun Per ora e per il momento che verrà
    I'm going to go for YOLT here.
  • thedovethedove hiding in the Greek underworld
    My life is now complete! Bond and the Maple Leafs in the same thread. I might enjoy Dirty Love instead of Hall and Oates! LOL!

Nice to see a diverse vote, means I have hit on some good or should I say bad examples of first meetings of characters. I appreciate the shout out to Goodnight and Bond for TMWTGG. It was a worthy candidate.
  • If write-ins were allowed her, I'd be going for Bond meets Dr. Holly Goodhead in MOONRAKER. "A woman?" Oooh, James....

But I'll have to go with Bond bridging the age gap with Stacy in AVTAK. Bond comes off as kinda creepy and Stacy's just wooden throughout this scene. There's no chemistry between them & they just don't belong in the same movie.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    Each to their own of course, but I have to admit that I'm a tad stunned at the opinions on the LTK scene, I always loved it!
  • NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada
    Each to their own of course, but I have to admit that I'm a tad stunned at the opinions on the LTK scene, I always loved it!

Agreed!
  • edited June 2020 Posts: 26
    Would it have been better to have Bond posing as a travel guide writer and Kissy as his local assistant rather than having him 'disguised' as Japanese?

I go for TWINE.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    If write-ins were allowed her, I'd be going for Bond meets Dr. Holly Goodhead in MOONRAKER. "A woman?" Oooh, James....

But I'll have to go with Bond bridging the age gap with Stacy in AVTAK. Bond comes off as kinda creepy and Stacy's just wooden throughout this scene. There's no chemistry between them & they just don't belong in the same movie.

I would say there's supposed not to be any chemistry between them: she's not interested in him at all.

That bar brawl was never my favorite part of the film, but I'm sure suprised to see it in contention for a Klebbie over Bond/Goodnight and Bond/Jinx
  • NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada
    The controversy is what makes the academy awards fun ;P
    Exactly! Life is boring if the choices are predictable.

The LTK scene always struck me as an odd bit of story telling. We are meant to believe that Leiter and Pam would meet in a dive bar on the wrong side of town? Then it all goes downhill from there, at least for me. Tim's face when the swordfish is used to destroy his chair.

I don't mind Stacy being frosty to Bond. But Bond to me is just so swarmy…"oh does this mean you won't be staying?" It's not charming to my eyes or ears.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited June 2020 Posts: 14,986
    thedove wrote: »

I don't mind Stacy being frosty to Bond. But Bond to me is just so swarmy…"oh does this mean you won't be staying?" It's not charming to my eyes or ears.

Absolutely: he's in full sleaze mode and it backfires on him- her retort about doubting he'll be alone that evening rather gets the better of him! :)
    That's why I like it- he's being quite a dick in that scene, gets shown up for it, and yet somehow remains lovable! That's why you hire Roger Moore ;)
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    "Are you buying or selling?" "Selling?!?"

And then:

"The connecting box is outside my bedroom window."

Does not compute! Ugh!
    echo wrote: »
    "Are you buying or selling?" "Selling?!?"

And then:

"The connecting box is outside my bedroom window."

Does not compute! Ugh!

Well to be fair she was dealing with two different people. 😉
    I like Bond and Christmas! My choice would be Bond and Stacy. Dialogue is a bit weak and the age gap doesn't help.
  • Agent_47Agent_47 Canada
    As the resident TWINE fan of these forums, even I have to vote for Bond meeting Christmas Jones, it's one of only two scenes in the film that really drag it down for me.

I don't dislike Christmas Jones as much as others, given it's a two plus hour movie and she takes up less than 15 minutes of screen time and only speaks for about half of that... her introduction is still awful.

• LeonardPineLeonardPine The Bar on the Beach
    Bond meeting Pam at the dive bar. One of the scenes in that film that just just doesn't work. It's so awkward and why would Felix be meeting her there in the first place?!!!
    Bond meeting Pam at the dive bar. One of the scenes in that film that just just doesn't work. It's so awkward and why would Felix be meeting her there in the first place?!!!

It would have been better to see Bond back at Felix's house when he's going through his computer only to have Pam come in a few minutes behind. Maybe have Dario and some thugs follow Pam to his house and have a small fight ensue or something.
  • ProfJoeButcherProfJoeButcher Bless your heart
    I'll go Bond and Christmas. The meeting with Jinx was far worse, but the TWINE meeting was pretty bad.
  • LeonardPineLeonardPine The Bar on the Beach
    Why wasn't The Jinx meeting nominated? It's easily the worst.
    @LeonardPine the nominations committee (in this case me! :) ) felt that at least their was some chemistry between the leads in that clunky affair. While the TWINE encounter didn't really have that going for it. We also like to have discussions about who didn't get nominated or snubbed. Although in the Klebbie's case I think the parties would be happily snubbed.

We shall keep the voting open for a few more as all nominees have received votes and the race for the Klebbie is tight!
    Why wasn't The Jinx meeting nominated? It's easily the worst.

+1
    And chemistry? You must be joking!?