And the Klebbie for worst screen combo is...page 135

Comments

• edited June 2020 Posts: 7,500
    I am absolutely, positively shocked, SHOCKED... that Bond meets Silva is not a nominee here! I mean... what the h***?? :-O 8-}

Bond meets Dr No is another pretty shocking emission...

Given the choices I will have to go with Bond meets Sanchez

• NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada
    jobo wrote: »
    I am absolutely, positively shocked, SHOCKED... that Bond meets Silva is not a nominere here! I mean... what the h***?? :-O 8-}

It was a nomination in a previous round, is perhaps why?
  • jobo wrote: »

Most of the time I'll just let misspellings on the internet alone. Not this time.

What you're talking about is an omission. An emission is...something else...

Most of the time I'll just let misspellings on the internet alone. Not this time.

We definitely don't need to know about anyone's shocking emissions... ;)
    edited June 2020 Posts: 7,526
    I am absolutely, positively shocked, SHOCKED... that Bond meets Silva is not a nominee here! I mean... what the h***?? :-O 8-}

Given the choices I will have to go with Bond meets Sanchez

I think these omissions are because the spirit of "Bond meets Villain" is usually a much less dramatic meeting than "Bond confronts Villain", if you will. In Goldfinger, for example, Bond "meeting" the villain would be when he golfs with him, and both parties are still acting in a clandestine way; later in the film, I'd say Bond "confronts" Goldfinger, when all the cards are down and both are aware of eachother's intentions.

In Dr. No and Skyfall, there is only the latter; Bond "confronts" Dr. No and Silva, but they never have a casual "meeting" beforehand, as the characters do in GF, TB, OP, etc.

I hope this makes sense, and is accurate! @thedove, feel free to chime in to provide some clarity!
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    GF. The best.
  • thedovethedove hiding in the Greek underworld
    Thanks @NickTwentyTwo and @jobo for your thoughts. Yes Nick is correct. I was looking at the scenes where Bond meets the villain and they are doing a bit of a dance. I think they were a staple of the films but seem to have gone away in more recent productions.

All the scenes that were nominated by me are examples where Bond the Villain know, or suspect they know that they are about to battle. But it's all tied up in social niceties and polite chatter. The people sitting around the Baccarat table would just imagine that Bond and Largo are talking about the cards, but we the audience (the characters) know there is a bit more going on.

DN, TMWTGG, SF have wonderful scenes where Bond meets them but I didn't feel they qualified given what I was looking for. I thought after that Kamal meeting Bond over backgammon was another scene that fit this mold. This is a more glaring emission I mean omission! :)
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill

He must have meant when Bond is asleep and Dr No sneaks up on him.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom

I was watching that the other day: is that the only reason Dr No drugs them? Seems a bit... pointless?
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    edited June 2020 Posts: 45,489

mtm wrote: »

I was watching that the other day: is that the only reason Dr No drugs them? Seems a bit... pointless?

He needs human contact. Cannot please himself much with those metal hands.
  • Max_The_ParrotMax_The_Parrot ATAC to St Cyril’s
    We love the Drax meets Bond moment, but the golf scene is much longer and more involving giving you more bang for the buck, so if we’re including the whole of the golf scene the DRP vote has to go to GF
    Yeah, yeah... My limitations in the English language occationaly rise to the surface, especially when I'm writing in a hurry ;)

Thanks for the explanation, @thedove.

• OctopussyOctopussy Piz Gloria, Schilthorn, Switzerland.
    I agree that Licence To Kill is amazing too. Bond and Kamal Khan in Octopussy playing Backgammon is another great introduction. Moore plays this moment perfectly. I still think that Thunderball and Goldfinger trump them both, though.
    As I finish my cucumber sandwich I head to the stage to announce the next winner! The best Bond meets Villain scene is...Bond and Goldfinger meet on the links from Goldfinger! The academy voted the following films:
    • GF links meeting voted 14 times
    • LTK problem eliminator voted 4 times
    • MR cucumber sandwich voted 2 times
    • TB spectre gambling voted 3 times
    • DAD Graves and Bond slice and dice...zero votes! :(

Lets do a fun category for the next Bondie. Throughout time we have had some colourful characters. But some have had no lines of dialogue and still managed to steal the show. Whether it's an extra in the background or a lackey that doesn't speak lets look at the nominees:

• Bug eyed dancer on Pussfeller's dance floor from DN
    • A vertically challenged janitor whistles while he works from OHMSS
    • A senior, curtsey from a gatekeeper guns down Bond from GF
    • A broom sweeper doesn't sweep but pushes a broom from QOS
    • Write-in vote! nominate your favourite colourful character who has no dialogue!

Who sticks in your mind? Who stole their small scene in a Bond film? Lets vote for best non-speaking character from a Bond film.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    Gotta go with GF again in this round. The way she handled that weapon!
    *chef's kiss*
  • Can I please write-in the wine drinker from, like, three films in a row during Roger Moore's tenure?
    Can I please write-in the wine drinker from, like, three films in a row during Roger Moore's tenure?

I just learned about this guy from Guess the Character. ;P Fun category! I think GF will sweep, and I can't quite remember the broomsman from QOS you're referring to...
    Might be fun to write in a vote for MGW's string of cameos, would that count?

I'm going to think for a bit and come back.
  • FatherValentineFatherValentine England
    Always had a bit of a thing for the female North Korean prison guard in DAD myself.
    Can I please write-in the wine drinker from, like, three films in a row during Roger Moore's tenure?

Yes you can! I loved his string of appearances. I think TSWLM was his best work. :)
  • Can I please write-in the wine drinker from, like, three films in a row during Roger Moore's tenure?

MGW sometimes has dialog. "Consider him slimed!"
    The double take pigeon sure stole the scene he/she was in... I bet no other character has become so infamous based on so little screentime!

MGW sometimes has dialog. "Consider him slimed!"

What film’s that?

This forum makes me feel like I don’t know anything about James Bond sometimes :))
  • GoldenGunGoldenGun Per ora e per il momento che verrà
    What about the supervisor in TLD who disappears in Rosika Miklosz's bosom while his display "lights up like Christmas tree"?
    Great thoughts! Lets see if there are any more write-in votes for best non-speaking character. The slimed comment was made by MGW in TND during Carver's meeting with the heads of his departments.

I'd nominate dear Miss Bell but she has a few lines of dialogue. I suppose we could add the family that's munching on noodles when Bond approaches looking for Lazar.
  • R1s1ngs0nR1s1ngs0n France
    GF granny
    The elephant who kicks J. W. Pepper into the river also comes to mind. Never cheered more for an animal...
    I could see “Best Bond Animal” coming up... Old Albert, Max the Parrot, Double Taking Pigeon...
    I could see “Best Bond Animal” coming up... Old Albert, Max the Parrot, Double Taking Pigeon...

Not to forget Maggie Thatcher!

Not to forget Maggie Thatcher!

Lol is she an animal?
    Always had a bit of a thing for the female North Korean prison guard in DAD myself.

I too submit my vote for the North Korean tortureuse