And the Klebbie for worst model work in a film....page 137

Comments

• edited May 2020 Posts: 2,896
    Connery can have all the fun he likes, but that's not the point, is it? He's doing a job FFS.

And he did it well and met the demands of that film. He's arguably more engaged than he was in YOLT, his comedic timing and delivery remained excellent, and he still moved well, regardless of the state of his tits. I'd rather see an actor enjoying himself than going through the motions, which unfortunately was Roger's state in AVTAK.
  • FatherValentineFatherValentine England
    I don't feel that Roger is going through the motions in AVTAK. I think his timing and delivery is as good as Connery's in DAF. And he doesn't look that much worse than he did in OP. Plus, he is 16 years older in AVTAK than Sean was in DAF. I suppose DAF is too much of a knockabout comedy for me. It is too much like a Matt Helm film, or even like the 1967 CR. Only SP is worse than DAF in my eyes, so I am very much inclined to push it to the fore in this particular poll. Each to their own, though!
    mtm wrote: »
    SaintMark wrote: »
    jeez some light banter seems to be lost to some forum members on this thread.

Not sure most people consider poverty, starvation, war and disease to be terribly light banter subjects. Pre-dinner cocktails must be a hoot around your house!
    :D

A hoot and a half while we watch Love by Cirque de Soleil got great music and is bearable without earmuffs.
  • thedovethedove hiding in the Greek underworld
    As I stride to the stage the orchestra plays "Here Comes the Sun". Please put your hands together for our esteemed orchestra conductor Mr. Bill Conti! Giving out the award is the widow of George Harrison.

The academy have voted and the Klebbie for worst send off for a Bond actor is ...Pierce parasails past some icebergs in DAD!

It was a tight 3 picture race!

DAD received 15 votes
    DAF received 7 votes
    AVTAK received 5 votes
    LTK received Zero.Zero votes!

Our next Klebbie is for worst soundtrack! Other the years we have had some wonderful scores of Bond films. Some have not hit the mark. So which score is the worst. The nominees are:
    • Michael Kamen for Licence to Kill. Generic work at it's finest, or worst!
    • Eric Serra for Goldeneye. beep bop boop!
    • Bill Conti for a terribly dated For Your Eyes Only
    • Thomas Newman for the rather bland and uninspired Spectre
    • Monty Norman for the Jamaican Jumble of Doctor No

Time for the academy to weigh in and vote for the soundtrack which murders their ears the most!
  • NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada
    The soundtracks for LTK and FYEO don't really sick out in my mind (which is probably a bad thing), and I like the GE and DN soundtracks. My vote is going to Thomas Newman because he didn't even make a soundtrack for Spectre, he just reused the Skyfall soundtrack. The only notable thing in it is Madeleine's theme (Secret Room on the soundtrack).
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    I vote Newman as well. His "contributions" somehow makes Michel Legrand's NSNA score sound presentable.
    Thomas Newman for the rather bland and uninspired Spectre

No words for this effort, did he phone it in and nobody was at home. If this the best they can get than it is horrible.
  • PrinceKamalKhanPrinceKamalKhan Monsoon Palace, Udaipur
    Eric Serra for Goldeneye
    Serra for me too. Only Michel Legrand is worst. Norman comes a close second.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    Worst Soundtrack? Bill Conti’s For Your Eyes Only. 🤢
  • TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports
    Newman's SP score still provided moments of brilliance: the Bond theme-Latin beat infused opening music; two gorgeous themes for the female leads; and five energizing transitional themes: to Q;'s new office, to Rome, to Austria, to Morroco, back to London.

As for @NickTwentyTwo's point about using the old themes. This has come up countless times before, and yet it still needs to be stated: the decision to recycle music from SF is Sam's decision, not Newman's.

All that being said, Bill Conti, for FYEO, gets my vote.
    edited May 2020 Posts: 7,527
    TripAces wrote: »
    Newman's SP score still provided moments of brilliance: the Bond theme-Latin beat infused opening music; two gorgeous themes for the female leads; and five energizing transitional themes: to Q;'s new office, to Rome, to Austria, to Morroco, back to London.

As for @NickTwentyTwo's point about using the old themes. This has come up countless times before, and yet it still needs to be stated: the decision to recycle music from SF is Sam's decision, not Newman's.

All that being said, Bill Conti, for FYEO, gets my vote.

This is something I definitely keep forgetting, thanks @TripAces. Los Muertos Vivos Estan is indeed a phenomenal track.
  • edited May 2020 Posts: 565
    I understand that it isn't necessarliy Newman's fault, but the careless recycling of tracks really hurt the film for me. So with that, Spectre.

Dr. No deserves some credit on this one as well. There's a reason why Norman didn't do FRWL...

I can understand the disdain for GE, but I love, love the cold, industrial sounds used. There's one thing for certain: this score has an identity.
    I agree with you about GE, @JamesStock. And it’s impossible to overstate how amazing the track Whispering Statues is.
  • R1s1ngs0nR1s1ngs0n France
    I actually own the DN soundtrack and like it quite a bit. Certainly not as musically sweeping and timeless as Barry’s work, but enjoyable nonetheless.
    Except for the horribly dated FYEO score, I have absolutely no recollection of the other nominees’ music (which already says a lot about them), so my vote goes to Conti’s 007 meets Rocky and Scarface.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    It has to be FYEO or GE, as the other three are pretty great. These two also have some great bits here and there, but also much that is lacklustre or plain awful. Almost impossible to pick, as the bad parts in FYEO are worse than the bad parts in GE. Then again, the good parts in FYEO are better than the good parts in GE. Hmm...I give it to GE.
  • ProfJoeButcherProfJoeButcher Bless your heart
    Dr No is absolutely atrocious. Monty Norman's "Mining Disaster Music" should walk away with this thing.

If you're only thinking of the soundtrack music, watch the film again. The overwrought 1950s orchestral tracks turn this movie from a top five Bond film to a top...well, top ten Bond film.

Looking over the nominees...

Kamen's LTK isn't Barry-level good but not generic either--the gunbarrel and "Pam" and the latin touches are all inspired.
    Serra's GE is a cold dead fish of a score and inappropriate to a Bond film.
    I think Conti's FYEO terrific. No more "dated" than any other style of vintage music. It also has more vigor than the Barry scores that bracket it.
    Newman's SP...I can barely remember it. Little more than wallpaper.
    Norman's DN is melodramatic but effective and does a fine job conveying a local feel.

It's rather tough deciding between GE and SP. Is it more offensive to be boringly bland or icily lifeless? Ultimately I would give the Klebbie to GE, since at least SP has a Bondian feel, even if it's recycled and unremarkable.
    Kamen's gunbarrel theme for LTK is my favourite of the series. I know it's not traditional but it fires me up, and reminds me of how excited I was watching it as a 13 year old in the cinema (wearing sunglasses through the lobby to try to make me look older - it worked).

Hate most of GE, but at least the Bond theme is great. I like FYEO a lot too.

SP easily the worst for me. It has no distinguishing features, repeats Skyfall, and quite frankly Newman should be ashamed for accepting the pay cheque.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited May 2020 Posts: 15,083
    thedove wrote: »

Our next Klebbie is for worst soundtrack! Other the years we have had some wonderful scores of Bond films. Some have not hit the mark. So which score is the worst. The nominees are:
    • Michael Kamen for Licence to Kill. Generic work at it's finest, or worst!
    • Eric Serra for Goldeneye. beep bop boop!
    • Bill Conti for a terribly dated For Your Eyes Only
    • Thomas Newman for the rather bland and uninspired Spectre
    • Monty Norman for the Jamaican Jumble of Doctor No

Time for the academy to weigh in and vote for the soundtrack which murders their ears the most!

LTK is a pretty exciting and effective score. A bit like Die Hard perhaps, but he still does some inventive things with the Bond theme. It’s a good score.

GE, well it works in the film mostly, and it’s certainly the work of an original composer. When he drifts Natalya’s theme in or similar moments it can be quite affecting. It’s bold.

FYEO is a damned exciting score, it gets the blood pumping in a way Barry could never have done at that time. Just watch that gunbarrel! It’s full of good themes and melodies too. Nah, it’s great.

Spectre is a really good score. He reinvented the Bond sound for Skyfall and it worked. Just because we’ve heard it before doesn’t make it a bad score: if Bond fans thought something is without value if it’s repeated then I’d ask why they’re coming back for the 25th film! :D

So the winner is Dr No. That’s a rubbish old style score delivered by someone on a level way, way below anyone who followed him in that job. it’s a crappy sort of 1950s UK matinee soundtrack. It’s rubbish.
    Eric Serra for GE!
    Creating sounds equivalent to The Tin Man from The Wizard of Oz, falling down a stairs!
    edited May 2020 Posts: 737
    "if Bond fans thought something is without value if it’s repeated then I’d ask why they’re coming back for the 25th film!"

After Spectre, I ask myself that all the time.
  • MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython “Baja?!”
    I can't believe anyone wouldn't vote for the DN score by Monty Norman. It's such a cheap sounding score through and through. It's very telling that the filmmakers used Barry's arrangement of the Bond theme as much as possible even though it's only two minutes long. It was immediately apparent that Barry was there guy, and Norman was hired because he was cheap.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    I can't believe anyone wouldn't vote for the DN score by Monty Norman. It's such a cheap sounding score through and through.

Yes I'm the same. It's on a level far below anything that came after. The rest are all world-class.
    It was immediately apparent that Barry was there guy, and Norman was hired because he was cheap.

Still fairly ballsy to hire Barry though: I think he'd only scored one whole film before that.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    Thomas Newman for the rather bland and uninspired Spectre

The only score/soundtrack I don't listen to from the list, easy decision for me.
  • MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython “Baja?!”
    Aside from DN, I'd rather listen to those listed nominees than George Martin's LALD score. It's probably the second least listened score of a Bond film for me.
  • ProfJoeButcherProfJoeButcher Bless your heart
    Spectre isn't a great score by any means, but it's perfectly serviceable. I don't think it's reasonable to consider the actual music worse than Norman's or Serra's based solely on the apparent laziness of the composer.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Spectre isn't a great score by any means, but it's perfectly serviceable. I don't think it's reasonable to consider the actual music worse than Norman's or Serra's based solely on the apparent laziness of the composer.

Or indeed, as has been noted before, that it was most likely down to the director temp tracking the film with Skyfall's score and wanting to stick with that.

I cannot see how that is a worse score than Norman's Dr No.
  • Tokoloshe2Tokoloshe2 Northern Ireland
    FYEO gets my vote, it just sounds so dated compared to every other film.
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    DAD.