And the Bondie for inspired casting/under-rated performance for an actress...page 134

Comments

• ProfJoeButcherProfJoeButcher Bless your heart
    Robert Davi
    Robert Davi easily!
  • "Do you expect me to talk?" "NO, Mr. Bondie....I expect you to VOTE!"

This is a tough one. All the nominees are very, very good. I like Silva a lot, Sanchez is just chilling, Dr. No is truly iconic, and Christopher Lee is one of the screen's most memorable villains. I was originally going to discount Gert Frobe's performance because his voice is dubbed, but then I realized: it's even more impressive that we don't notice the dubbing -- his presence is just so overwhelming that we accept Auric Goldfinger precisely as he is. Gert Frobe for the win.
  • Max_The_ParrotMax_The_Parrot ATAC to St Cyril’s
    Having managed to calm the ruffled feathers of the committee I can now announce that the DRP vote goes to Joseph Wiseman ... with considerable ease, I might add

64997-FC7-16-B2-4310-BC08-005-AC1648-AB6.gif
  • NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada
    Even after he said those mean things to you?
  • Even after he said those mean things to you?

BECAUSE he said those mean things.

BECAUSE he said those mean things.

Mmm point taken!
  • Max_The_ParrotMax_The_Parrot ATAC to St Cyril’s
    😂☺️
  • thedovethedove hiding in the Greek underworld
    Looks like I may have redeemed myself! LOL! I am glad we are seeing some diversity in the votes.
    I would go with Wiseman, who set the template for future Bond villains and turned in a superbly controlled performance-icy yet intense.
    Javier Bardem.
  • j_w_pepperj_w_pepper Born on the bayou. I can still hear my old hound dog barkin'.
    edited May 2020 Posts: 8,697
    My choice, unequivocally, at any time, and whatever happens, will forever be Gerd Fröbe as Goldfinger The best, and most iconic, Bond villain ever.

PS: Raoul Silva/Javier Bardem is my No. 2
    Gert Frobe as Auric Goldfinger in Goldfinger

No Mr Bond I expect you to die.
    Cant deny Frobe's iconic status!
  • PrinceKamalKhanPrinceKamalKhan Monsoon Palace, Udaipur
    Definitely Saruman so I vote for

Christopher Lee as Scaramanga in The Man with The Golden Gun
  • MooseWithFleasMooseWithFleas Philadelphia
    Robert Davi!
    Looks like every nominee is getting votes. This was a tough category to whittle down to 5. I am pleased that everyone is getting votes. To quote Kamal Khan...or should I say paraphrase...let the sport continue! ;)
    edited May 2020 Posts: 7,526
    oo oo next do Best Sexual Innuendo cum Female Supporting Character's Name :) Pussy Galore, Jenny Flex, Plenty O'Toole, Holly Goodhead, Honey Rider, etc etc.
    Well we have a close race with all nominees receiving votes and just 1 vote separating our current leader from the pack! Lets see if we can keep the votes coming and get a winner!
  • goldenswissroyalegoldenswissroyale Switzerland
    Robert Davi. He IS Sanchez. Fröbe and Bardem are brilliant, too.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    I've already voted for Bardem, but I would say that Christopher Lee is the only one who is probably much better than the actual film he's in!
    :)
  • DwayneDwayne New York City
    • Robert Davi as Franz Sanchez in Licence to Kill
    • Gert Frobe as Auric Goldfinger in Goldfinger
    • Javier Bardem as Silva in Skyfall
    • Joseph Wiseman as Doctor Julius No in Doctor No
    • Christopher Lee as Scaramanga in The Man with The Golden Gun

All of these choices are excellent, and I could easily vote for anyone of them. And I agree with @mtm that Christopher Lee’s Scaramanga is THE highlight of TMWTGG. Which makes him unique.

For today, however, I add to the vote total of Gert Frobe.
    Time to wrap up our Bondie for best Villain in a lead role. The Bondie goes to Gert Frobe as Auric Goldfinger from the film Goldfinger. Here is how the nominees broke down:

Joseph Wiseman for Dr. No with 5 votes
    Gert Frobe for Goldfinger with 7 votes
    Robert Davi for Franz Sanchez with 5 votes
    Javier Bardem for Silva with 2 votes
    Christopher Lee for Scaramanga with 3 votes

Now we shall award another Bondie. Over the years the series has been home to many jaw dropping stunts! Done before the era of CGI real men and women risked their lives for a moment on the big screen to thrill audiences. It is time we award the stunt performers. The next Bondie is for best scene stealing stunt! These stunts had big risk and big reward for the viewers! The nominees are:
    • BJ Worth jumps out of a plane without a parachute from the film MR
    • Rick Sylvester "bonds" with the Union Jack with a parachute from the film TSWLM
    • Loren "Bumps" Willard flips over for Bond in the film TMWTGG
    • Wayne Michaels bungees to signal a new era and a new Bond in the film GE
    • Rick Sylvester climbs and a mountain and takes a few free falls in the film FYEO

Time for the academy to weigh in and vote for best scene stealing stunt in a Bond film!
    edited May 2020 Posts: 7,526
    I hope Wayne Michaels feels like he "must be in heaven" once he wins the Bondie for best scene stealing stunt!

These are actually all great. I'd say it's a four way tie for second place, with TMWTGG in last place. Great stunt as well, but the others are just fantastic.

Objectively Rick Sylvester should probably take this home. I'll still vote for Wayne though.
    Well think the cargo net fight should be in there from TLD! Certainly better than GE and TMWTGG.
    So i will go with Rick Sylvester union jack ski jump!
    Mathis1 wrote: »
    Well think the cargo net fight should be in there from TLD! Certainly better than GE and TMWTGG.
    So i will go with Rick Sylvester union jack ski jump!

Cargo net fight should have been for "best fight in a confined space", not as a singular stunt.
  • R1s1ngs0nR1s1ngs0n France
    MR easily. I never tire watching that sequence which still blows my mind more than 40yrs later.
  • RichardTheBruceRichardTheBruce I'm motivated by my Duty.
    edited May 2020 Posts: 13,036
    MR and my favorite single moment of all the films: Bond getting pushed out of a plane at altitude without a parachute. Thank you, Mr. Lombard and Mr. Worth.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    Rick Sylvester "bonds" with the Union Jack with a parachute from the film TSWLM
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited May 2020 Posts: 14,964
    thedove wrote: »
    Now we shall award another Bondie. Over the years the series has been home to many jaw dropping stunts! Done before the era of CGI real men and women risked their lives for a moment on the big screen to thrill audiences. It is time we award the stunt performers. The next Bondie is for best scene stealing stunt! These stunts had big risk and big reward for the viewers! The nominees are:
    • BJ Worth jumps out of a plane without a parachute from the film MR
    • Rick Sylvester "bonds" with the Union Jack with a parachute from the film TSWLM
    • Loren "Bumps" Willard flips over for Bond in the film TMWTGG
    • Wayne Michaels bungees to signal a new era and a new Bond in the film GE
    • Rick Sylvester climbs and a mountain and takes a few free falls in the film FYEO

Time for the academy to weigh in and vote for best scene stealing stunt in a Bond film!

Another list of crackers it's hard to pick from...

BJ Worth's MR jump... this is a fantastic sequence, and yet I don't know if I could describe it as the all-time best stunt, because it's kind of a collection of nice stunts edited together (and they haven't not got parachutes)... I love it but in terms of a stunt it's not there for me: it's a great scene.

Rick Sylvester's Spy parachute ski... well it's an icon for a reason. It's superb.

Willard's Golden Gun jump is amazing. No real debate about that.

Michaels' GE bungee is rather fab because of his performance, which you can't say about all of these stunts. He's actually playing James Bond doing that, he's not just doing a big fall, and it takes your breath away. He's a great double for Pierce too.

Sylvester's FYEO climb falls. These are great, silly dangerous falls. Somehow they never really thrill me though. Not his fault, but it's hard not to judge it on the scene a little bit.

So for me it's between Sylvester's ski jump, Willard's car jump and Michaels' bungee.

I've got to go with Rick Sylvester's ski jump. He skied off a mountain! :D