Who should/could be a Bond actor?

Comments

suavejmf wrote: »
    Univex wrote: »
    I was using him for shock and logic dynamics. I wasn't being literal. The point I was trying to make is that people (well...one) in this thread is proposing names (well...one) that just don't fit the character. I don't go around dribbling balls in football just because I think it's valid. There are some things that are game, others are not. I'm not interested in ruining institutions just to earn social kudos. Destruction and reinvention aren't always the things one must go for. And this is coming from a liberal.

+1. Well said, I agree.

If an actor can’t fulfil the bare minimum criteria below they should be an auto rejection (absolute no exceptions):

- White British
    - Actor
    - Height 5ft 10in as a minimum
    - Age 35 - 50 (depending on looks)

Thank you ;)
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    edited May 2020 Posts: 5,869
    Although there needs to be some leeway there. Personally as a discussion page, the white British thing and the age thing in context is up for debate. The producers have only ever said that Bond will never be a woman. That's clear, but the race thing as far I'm aware has never been opposed. Obviously he'll always be British, so it's 98% likely the actor will always be British or have at least mostly British heritage - but just completely white British every single time going forward. I don't know.

As for the age thing, again, some people seem to not want to even attempt to consider the idea that whoever will be James Bond in Bond 26 isn't currently the age you think Bond should be at the time. If the age range is 35 - 50 (although again these are restrictions being put on by people here, not the producers as we know of), why are we rejecting people that are younger than that now, who will be around that age when the film's realistically gonna be made, but also still considering actors who will be past that age when the film is made? Does that make sense?

I'm not saying anyone has to like the suggestions, but I think these discussions should be way more open than a few want them to be, and I'm not saying we should be open to every actor (Dinklage-style), but if someone is making realistic choices (although I should stress I do not believe Idris Elba is a realistic choice) but in other examples of people's suggestions, who are being realistic despite whatever opinions you have about race or age or whatever else, shouldn't just be shutdown straight away and should at least be given a chance to pitch the idea before we start saying what people can and can't talk about.

This page shouldn't really have to have rules, just realistic choices based on personal opinion.

Also the possibility has never been beyond EON's grasps, wasn't that Colin Salmon considered to take over as Bond? That would've been rubbish in my opinion, but still.
  • suavejmfsuavejmf Harrogate, North Yorkshire, England
    edited May 2020 Posts: 5,131
    Denbigh wrote: »
    Although there needs to be some leeway there. Personally as a discussion page, the white British thing and the age thing in context is up for debate. The producers have only ever said that Bond will never be a woman. That's clear, but the race thing as far I'm aware has never been opposed. Obviously he'll always be British, so it's 98% likely the actor will always be British or have at least mostly British heritage - but just completely white British every single time going forward. I don't know.

As for the age thing, again, some people seem to not want to even attempt to consider the idea that whoever will be James Bond in Bond 26 isn't currently the age you think Bond should be at the time. If the age range is 35 - 50 (although again these are restrictions being put on by people here, not the producers as we know of), why are we rejecting people that are younger than that now, who will be around that age when the film's realistically gonna be made, but also still considering actors who will be past that age when the film is made? Does that make sense?

I'm not saying anyone has to like the suggestions, but I think these discussions should be way more open than a few want them to be, and I'm not saying we should be open to every actor (Dinklage-style), but if someone is making realistic choices (although I should stress I do not believe Idris Elba is a realistic choice) but in other examples of people's suggestions, who are being realistic despite whatever opinions you have about race or age or whatever else, shouldn't just be shutdown straight away and should at least be given a chance to pitch the idea before we start saying what people can and can't talk about.

This page shouldn't really have to have rules, just realistic choices based on personal opinion.

Also the possibility has never been beyond EON's grasps, wasn't that Colin Salmon considered to take over as Bond? That would've been rubbish in my opinion, but still.

There is no leeway whatsoever for for me. If the producers deviate from that list at all I’m out.

It’s pointless woke nonsense IMO.

I didn’t say the page had rules, I gave my own personal casting preference based on the character, heritage and tradition.

Bond is white...Fleming said so, the films also say so....in LALD he is referred to as a ‘honkey’!
  • NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada
    edited May 2020 Posts: 7,527
    I still say non British shouldn’t be an auto exclude. A good enough actor can be British for the sake of the role. Have we seen that from an American yet? No, but never say never. I actually didn’t know Dinklage was American, after having seen him in GOT. And again, we’ve already had non British Bonds.

Looking like a 12 year old should be an auto exclude however, and would eliminate half of the suggestions in this thread. ;)
  • ResurrectionResurrection Kolkata, India
    Jonas Nay

3cb83f8b-77f0-49f2-8bee-b937515e7436-stv_deutschland86_ka_digital_hero_16x9_f_altedit.jpg?w=970&h=546&fit=crop&crop=faces&auto=format%2Ccompress&cs=srgb&q=70
    I may have been an interesting or even a promising choice considering the probable hiatus before a new movie, if he wasn't German. His nationality withdraws him from the race.

He's an actor - he can act as a Brit!

Not necessarily. Most American actors can only do a laughable impression of an English accent.

There are plenty of decent Brit actors to chose from so we don’t need a German one. Bond shouldn’t even drive a German car let alone be played by a German!! 😂😂

Adolf Gettler as Ian Fleming’s James Bond 007....no thank you! 🤦🏼‍♂️🤣😂

I can understand that bond shouldn't be anyone but British but Why can't bond drive a German car?
    "This photoshoot could be from a Bond film...love the outfit" - presents a good looking black man, overaged, on a leather jacket and black attire...

Oh, man, you're in the wrong franchise.

I'm off this thread. I just can't bare it. Do cary on, "Bond fans". And feel free to nail me to a cross. Damn Fleming purists, right? Times they ar a changing. Must fight the system. All opinion counts. Everything is valid. And so on, right? Well, ok then. I loose, you guys win. Cute baby faced James Dean lookalikes, black dudes, you guys just know Bond.

And this is me expressing my opinion on a forum, before you ask, or come wailing that all fans deserve to share their views.

Heck, this guy is more Bond than Idris.

b4c1b91d12388185b9fd04a227d3b92f.jpg

Although he is something of a Drax lookalike (right?) ;)

Well, I'm off. Have fun.

His acting skills puts most of the bond candidates to shame, but height, height, height, damn his height.

Facially, physically AND height wise he isn’t Bond.

Not to mention that he is American, which is an auto rejection.

Facially, physically and height wise he isn't and i wasn't exactly considering him for bond, but i won't deny the fact that he is a phenomenal actor and has far better acting skills than most of the candidates which have been suggested here. That being said, i don't want him to play Nick Nack either, short people shouldn't be playing comic characters just because of their height and this is coming from a guy who is 6ft tall (incase someone's thinking that i am sympathizing with him). If he ever being cast in a bond film i want him to play a serious character rather than just comic one because it would be a complete waste of an amazing actor.

Now that you have mentioned about being american, while i was watching GOT i never knew that he was american. Nonetheless, even i want bond to be white, male, 6ft tall, British.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    Well sometimes I think we should think about what could happen, rather than what we think should.

As the title suggests.

And for the record, both of my main choices fit under that guideline given for what we should be looking for. The only difference is that they're currently younger than they would be when the film is probably cast, and a fact that some seem to be letting slip. I really can't see us getting it before 2024/25
    Dinklage’s Brit accent is pure pantomime. An ok impression, not real. Fairly obvious to me as an Englishman. But each to their own.

• DenbighDenbigh UK
    I still say non British shouldn’t be an auto exclude. A good enough actor can be British for the sake of the role. Have we seen that from an American yet? No, but never say never.
    If they were to go for an American @NickTwentyTwo, I'd want Christopher Abbott.

https://www.imdb.com/name/nm3571592/

christopher-abbott-catch-22-1558006357.jpg
    724291806.jpg

Dinklage’s Brit accent is pure pantomime. An ok impression, not real. Fairly obvious to me as an Englishman. But each to their own.

To be fair, Dinklage is pretty much like every American actor trying to sound British : at best pantomime. This is why no American actor should play Bond. Or Holmes, or Robin Hood, or King Arthur, or any British character for that matter, but this is another topic.
    edited May 2020 Posts: 7,527
    So interesting. I wonder then, if an American were able to technically perfect the British accent in every way that is audible/phsyical, would you still not buy into it simply because the performer is American? And therefore it's pantomime? Isn't the entire conceit of acting then pantomime?

Or is it just that no American actor in your view has perfected the British accent?
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    I think the main issue is branding, and I think interviews would feel a bit weird at first.
    I think the main issue is branding, and I think interviews would feel a bit weird at first.

That's fair, but aside from that, I'm talking about the actual performance.
    So interesting. I wonder then, if an American were able to technically perfect the British accent in every way that is audible/phsyical, would you still not buy into it simply because the performer is American? And therefore it's pantomime? Isn't the entire conceit of acting then pantomime?

Or is it just that no American actor in your view has perfected the British accent?

With "ifs", you can put Paris in a bottle. Because no American actor has ever pulled an acceptable British accent, why risk it? Because they all end up sounding more or less like this :
  • JeremyBondonJeremyBondon Seeking out odd jobs with Oddjob @Tangier
    Like Univex I'm also signing out of this thread for a while. For a while already, quite honestly, but just want to make it clear. The endless loop of the same (sometimes idiotic) propositions become dull. We've all stated our guy, numerous times, so let the wait begin. I'll be around again once we get a snippet of something to truly speculate on. Until then, Aidan Turner sends his regards ;)

da9255a55591eae890bac44793c4ccf6.gif
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    People shouldn’t have to “sign off” because some have a difference of opinion or a different choice than you. That’s just an “I’m right you’re wrong” attitude which is not what a discussion page is about. And what endless loop? This is the most variety we’ve had in a while since we stopped comparing everyone to Aidan.

If someone “took a break” every time opinions differed this site wouldn’t exist.
    The only problem with this thread is members calling other members' prepositions "idiotic". ;)

@Ludovico, point understood. I also think it's a bit subjective; what's unacceptable to some could be fine or great to others. My girlfriend whose accent is from Southampton I think would argue against "no American has ever pulled an acceptable British accent", but I'd have to ask her about who specifically. I'm not saying anyone is right or wrong, just that no one opinion on the matter is absolute.

I also agree with those saying that, despite all of this, they are very unlikely to cast an American for all the reasons mentioned previously. I'm just saying, a person shouldn't necessarily be written off for that reason alone.
    edited May 2020 Posts: 5,131

No American actor has perfected it. As an Englishman I find the attempts laughable....so over the top and unconvincing.

With all due respect only Brits can tell. It’s like myself commenting on whether Brit actors can ‘do’ American....it may sound ok, but I’m not really qualified to confirm.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    I suppose it’s just a matter of you’ll never know until someone tries kinda thing. It’s hard to say it could never be done, and it’s not like they haven’t tried before.
    Ludovico wrote: »

To be fair, Dinklage is pretty much like every American actor trying to sound British : at best pantomime. This is why no American actor should play Bond. Or Holmes, or Robin Hood, or King Arthur, or any British character for that matter, but this is another topic.

Bang on. 👏

No American actor has perfected it. As an Englishman I find the attempts laughable....so over the top and unconvincing.

With all due respect only Brits can tell. It’s like myself commenting on whether Brit actors can ‘do’ American....it may sound ok, but I’m not really qualified to confirm.

That’s true, that’s why I brought a British person home with me.

• mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited May 2020 Posts: 15,075
    talos7 wrote: »
    I was gonna post this in a discussion but I'm just gonna put it here. So this includes one of my top choices for James Bond, Callum Turner, although I know a lot of you are sceptical about him, I just think he has a lot of potential, and could be a possible dark horse. But I've also included some other choices I'd go for - for other characters.

The other cast I would choose includes Lennie James as M, Vanessa Kirby as Moneypenny, Riz Ahmed as Q, Joel Edgerton as Felix Leiter, and Daniel Bruhl as Ernst Stavro Blofeld. I think the only thing about this that is unrealistic is Callum and Vanessa appearing in those roles together, as they used to date, so I don't think that would end up happening, but I believe these would be pretty solid choices.

Some of you may have seen this before by the way.

https://www.imdb.com/list/ls098102981/

Looks like he could be a good Gustav Graves when he grows up. ;)

Reminds me a little of Simon Quarterman from Westworld for some reason.
    https://www.imdb.com/name/nm0702945/?ref_=tt_cl_t10
    I think it's just his face a little, but apart from that they're very different haha :D
    I just Callum Turner has something, like I've said before, I wouldn't cast him now, but in four or five years time, I think he'd be great and could potentially be a mixture of Craig and Brosnan in terms of tone and style. This image was six years ago, and he's become a bit more of a leading man already in a few years so given more I think we have a potential James Bond. He has a good voice too - again in my opinion.

queen-anatomy-videoSixteenByNine3000.jpg

I firmly believe that Bond should always be, and portrayed by, a Caucasian, British male ; with that said, I would cast Idris Elba as Bond before ever casting Callum Turner. Turner has a shifty, rat like quality that is very off putting. No, no and no....

Now we're talking! This man is 007.....a Bond film starring Idris Elba is a $1 billion success story in the making. I'm certain Eon are weighing up this idea. Though it does go against much of their instincts. Usually they case with the 'franchise' in mind. Essentially, someone to be the figurehead of the series for the next 10 years.

However, the changing landscape with blockbuster films means they now have more competition than ever. If the Craig era is anything to go by, then I think Eon have adopted a more filmmaker-friendly approach. Opposed to go down the Marvel route where sequels are knocked out quickly.

But if they wanted to get a big name director and hire Elba, then that would be a surefire way to distinguish themselves from the competition. I mean, imagine the hype of a Christopher Nolan-directed Bond film starring Elba!!!

I'd even think that they'd rehire Fukunaga/Waller-Bridge and get them to continue the story of Bond with an actor of a similar age. In that respect, Elba could quickly pick up that mantle.

If Eon release in time for the 60th anniversary, than Elba will be 48.....if anything the thing holding him back from the Bond role is less his age and more the sheer amount of over-exposure he's had in recent years.

This photoshoot could be from a Bond film...love the outfit

Idris-Elba-08-2019-cover.jpg

Yeah Elba is the only candidate I've seen who has anything approaching Connery's screen presence or the kind of sex appeal that a Bond should have (ladies do seem to love him), and as that cover says, he's got cool on his side. But he's just too old. There's no point in hiring a new Bond who will be over 50 before his second film.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    I was using him for shock and logic dynamics. I wasn't being literal. The point I was trying to make is that people (well...one) in this thread is proposing names (well...one) that just don't fit the character. I don't go around dribbling balls in football just because I think it's valid. There are some things that are game, others are not. I'm not interested in ruining institutions just to earn social kudos. Destruction and reinvention aren't always the things one must go for. And this is coming from a liberal.

Just catching up with the thread. Bleh, skin colour is irrelevant. Makes no difference to the character, especially in something like a Bond film which doesn't exactly look to play politics.
    In the books Bond has black hair, in the films we've had two Bonds with fair hair. If you've managed to cope with that then a black-skinned Bond shouldn't be too challenging. It's just a colour, exactly the same. His hair colour changes nothing about his character.

In the books Bond is English (to start with) as is everybody at SIS. In the films suddenly he's Scottish and Moneypenny is Canadian(!?). You coped.
  • edited May 2020 Posts: 6,677
    mtm wrote: »

Just catching up with the thread. Bleh, skin colour is irrelevant. Makes no difference to the character, especially in something like a Bond film which doesn't exactly look to play politics.
    In the books Bond has black hair, in the films we've had two Bonds with fair hair. If you've managed to cope with that then a black-skinned Bond shouldn't be too challenging. It's just a colour, exactly the same. His hair colour changes nothing about his character.

In the books Bond is English (to start with) as is everybody at SIS. In the films suddenly he's Scottish and Moneypenny is Canadian(!?). You coped.

Sure. Why not. Who cares? I'm beginning not to. You guys have helped. A lot. I just don't give a damn anymore. Thank you.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    I was gonna post this in a discussion but I'm just gonna put it here. So this includes one of my top choices for James Bond, Callum Turner, although I know a lot of you are sceptical about him, I just think he has a lot of potential, and could be a possible dark horse. But I've also included some other choices I'd go for - for other characters.

The other cast I would choose includes Lennie James as M, Vanessa Kirby as Moneypenny, Riz Ahmed as Q, Joel Edgerton as Felix Leiter, and Daniel Bruhl as Ernst Stavro Blofeld. I think the only thing about this that is unrealistic is Callum and Vanessa appearing in those roles together, as they used to date, so I don't think that would end up happening, but I believe these would be pretty solid choices.

I think it's just his face a little, but apart from that they're very different haha :D
    I just Callum Turner has something, like I've said before, I wouldn't cast him now, but in four or five years time, I think he'd be great and could potentially be a mixture of Craig and Brosnan in terms of tone and style. This image was six years ago, and he's become a bit more of a leading man already in a few years so given more I think we have a potential James Bond. He has a good voice too - again in my opinion.

I firmly believe that Bond should always be, and portrayed by, a Caucasian, British male ; with that said, I would cast Idris Elba as Bond before ever casting Callum Turner. Turner has a shifty, rat like quality that is very off putting. No, no and no....

Now we're talking! This man is 007.....a Bond film starring Idris Elba is a $1 billion success story in the making. I'm certain Eon are weighing up this idea. Though it does go against much of their instincts. Usually they case with the 'franchise' in mind. Essentially, someone to be the figurehead of the series for the next 10 years.

However, the changing landscape with blockbuster films means they now have more competition than ever. If the Craig era is anything to go by, then I think Eon have adopted a more filmmaker-friendly approach. Opposed to go down the Marvel route where sequels are knocked out quickly.

But if they wanted to get a big name director and hire Elba, then that would be a surefire way to distinguish themselves from the competition. I mean, imagine the hype of a Christopher Nolan-directed Bond film starring Elba!!!

I'd even think that they'd rehire Fukunaga/Waller-Bridge and get them to continue the story of Bond with an actor of a similar age. In that respect, Elba could quickly pick up that mantle.

If Eon release in time for the 60th anniversary, than Elba will be 48.....if anything the thing holding him back from the Bond role is less his age and more the sheer amount of over-exposure he's had in recent years.

There's no point in hiring a new Bond who will be over 50 before his second film.
    This is the main reason I never wanted Elba too, plus I personally don't think he would ever be Bond, he'd be Idris Elba doing the things that Bond does - if that makes sense.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom

Sure. Why not. Who cares? I'm beginning not to. You guys have helped. A lot. I just don't give a damn anymore. Thank you.

Is that a kind of tantrum? It’s hard to tell.
  • edited May 2020 Posts: 6,677

Is that a kind of tantrum? It’s hard to tell.

Yes it is. Hard to tell, I mean. I'm sure you'll cope.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom

There's no point in hiring a new Bond who will be over 50 before his second film.
    This is the main reason I never wanted Elba too, plus I personally don't think he would ever be Bond, he'd be Idris Elba doing the things that Bond does - if that makes sense.

I don’t know, he’s an actor capable of changing what he does; as long as he could posh up his accent a bit he’d be good: and his brooding sort of smoothness is hardly a bad fit for Bond. And I’d say neither Roger or Pierce were really Bond either, it was Roger and Pierce doing the things Bond does, and they worked.

I could see Elba’s Bond being a little gritty though, and I don’t know if that’s where they should go. A new Roger Moore would be amazing, but I don’t know where you’d find him.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    What about Jeremy Irvine? He's 30. 6ft. British. Although last year he was in a Jason Bourne spin-off TV series so that might hinder him, but you never know. The clip I posted is from that show.

2056163.jpg

+1. Well said, I agree.

If an actor can’t fulfil the bare minimum criteria below they should be an auto rejection (absolute no exceptions):

- White British
    - Actor

That criteria would rule both George Lazenby and Pierce Brosnan out from playing Bond!
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    What about Jeremy Irvine? He's 30. 6ft. British.

Not a bad thought at all. I don't remember him stunning me, but I'm not sure I've seen him in anything where he had the opportunity (I saw the first couple of Treadstones but he didn't get to do much more than fight and run). If he isn't on the audition list I'd be stunned.
    Especially as he played the young Brosnan in Mamma Mia!
    :D

+1. Well said, I agree.

- White British
    - Actor

That criteria would rule both George Lazenby and Pierce Brosnan out from playing Bond!

Indeed, and it's funny how the the 'short black hair with a comma over his eye' doesn't feature on the essential list... and that the minimum height just happens to coincide with Craig's height...
    ;)