Will Skyfall be dedicated to John Barry!!?

2»

Comments

• St_GeorgeSt_George Shuttling Drax's lovelies to the space doughnut - happy 40th, MR!
    Dedicating SF to Barry via an on-screen credit would be a lovely nod to one of the greatest contributors to the series, but I wouldn't hold my breath it'll happen...
    Volante wrote:
    RogueAgent wrote:
    With all the winks and nods in DAD for the 40th anniversary? I think the music should wink and nod abit for the 50th?!

Just a shame DAD was such a let down otherwise. Hope Skyfall really delivers.

It needs to with all the hype they are giving it? Look at all the differing thoughts and views on here! :))
  • has anyone heard the tribute to barry, skyfall man in the shadows
  • edited April 2012 Posts: 154
    Post Deleted
  • There no "in memoriam" to either Richard Maibaum (died in 1991, no movie until '95), or Maurice Binder (I think he died in '90, same thing as Maibaum). Derek Meddings did get one in GoldenEye, but he had died earlier that year.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited April 2012 Posts: 15,690
    No 'in memoriam' for Bernard Lee who died before FYEO, or Lois Maxwell who died before QOS.
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    You know what I'd like? But it would be maybe confusing or probably I am the only one who'd like this: A montage of his songs, meaning a short snippet (instrumental only) of Barry's main theme songs for all the Bond movies he did, running over the closing credits. I'd like that a lot. Besides a a dedicated in memoriam line onscreen, too.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    They did an in memoriam for Desmond and for Derek Meddings, among others. I think JB deserves one too.
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    I agree. He is one of the indispensables without whom Bond probably would have failed: Broccoli, Saltzman, Young, Connery, Maibaum, Barry, Hunt, and arguably Binder.
    Your have to keep your eyes and more so ears open to feel John Barry's presents in SkyFall!!? ;)
    :-B
  • No 'in memoriam' for Bernard Lee who died before FYEO, or Lois Maxwell who died before QOS.

M was written entirely out of the script after Lee's death - that's as good as any tribute one can dedicate to IMO
    Skyfall should be dedicated to the fans
  • Eon productions came after he split with saltzman after TMWTGG if i remember correctly. danjaq produced the movie's until TSWLM

Danjaq is not a film production company
    EON and Danjaq are two separate entities:
    EON is the production company
    Danjaq holds the intellectual property of the franchise
    EON and MGM both own 50% of Danjaq.

• While Skyfall won't be dedicated to Barry as a whole, and you wouldn't really expect it, it would be a shame if there wasn't at least some kind of acknowledgement to the great man. For all that he gave us in the series, and for the 50th year release, and such a big occasion, I think it would only be fair for him to be recognized in some capacity in this upcoming release, the first after his passing, but not sure if maybe he'll feature at all to be truthful
  • Steven wrote:
    How many of the other films have been dedicated to people? Was it GE that was dedicated to Cubby? I don't think Desmond Llewelyn had any dedications and he was involved in more films than Barry.

Llewelyn had a dedication at the beginning of TWINE on VHS.
  • Well we'll be seeing John Barry's house in Cadogan Square in Skyfall where it's used for external shots of M's apartment. Barry bought it in 1983 when he was able to live and work again in UK following resolution of his tax affairs His family still own the house and it is now rented out.

With the location shooting on Vauxhall Bridge we may well see his former apartment on the south of the river just a long from the MI6 HQ it used to be called Alembic House but is now known as Peninsular Heights. Barry owned the massive top floor apartment in the late 60s/ early 70s before selling it in 1975 to Bernie Ecclestone the F! guru. It's now owned by Jeffrey Archer.

Certainly some sort of tribute.
    If it isn't, it should be. John Barry deserves every acknowlegment, dedication and tribute that could be done for him.
    It would be a very nice touch by Eon if they do?
  • According to a post on Intrada's forum:

This comes directly from the press book of SKYFALL (page 50, "Additional Fun Facts")

"M’s house in the film is the former home of the legendary Bond composer John Barry.
    Filmmakers thought it would be a lovely tribute to the late composer, who passed away in 2011."
  • According to a post on Intrada's forum:

This comes directly from the press book of SKYFALL (page 50, "Additional Fun Facts")

"M’s house in the film is the former home of the legendary Bond composer John Barry.
    Filmmakers thought it would be a lovely tribute to the late composer, who passed away in 2011."

That's nice.