NO TIME TO DIE (2021) - Discuss Hans Zimmer's Score

Comments

• Bentley007Bentley007 Manitoba, Canada
    Dunno, if this is anything but I spoke to someone who knew of some of the development into Zimmer's score.

Apparently it was a 'dream' come true for Zimmer and that he had his own version of a Bond theme in mind for years. Apparently, it's not a variation on the Monty Norman theme, but a brand new theme by Zimmer.

Supposedly the new 'theme' will appear in the film alongside the traditional Monty Norman theme but they are two distinct pieces of music.

It seems in keeping with Zimmer who developed brand new themes for Batman, Superman and Wonder Woman. But I guess we will get a new NTTD-focused theme.

Thanks so much for this piece of information. Zimmer is an amazing composer and I am so looking forward to hearing what he has in store for No Time To Die.
  • edited May 2020 Posts: 820
    Dunno, if this is anything but I spoke to someone who knew of some of the development into Zimmer's score.

Apparently it was a 'dream' come true for Zimmer and that he had his own version of a Bond theme in mind for years. Apparently, it's not a variation on the Monty Norman theme, but a brand new theme by Zimmer.

Supposedly the new 'theme' will appear in the film alongside the traditional Monty Norman theme but they are two distinct pieces of music.

It seems in keeping with Zimmer who developed brand new themes for Batman, Superman and Wonder Woman. But I guess we will get a new NTTD-focused theme.

That sounds terrific! Especially since I love all the themes he did for all those characters.

One thing I find Zimmer doesn't get nearly enough credit for is that he's able to not only create incredible music for iconic characters, but he's able to do it in the shadow of other iconic themes. John Williams defined Superman and Danny Elfman defined Batman, musically speaking, for decades. And yet Zimmer's works on both of those characters stand up,and stand out so well in their own right. They capture their respective icons' fundamental essence and absolutely never -- for even a second -- seem to retreat under the ever-present pressure/shadow of those iconic works that came before.

I mean, the John Williams Superman score is more than just a score to me. It's my cinematic music touchstone. It's perfect. I even prefer it to Star Wars. I was thrilled when Hans was announced as scoring Man of Steel but I dreaded it for months leading up to hearing the score -- I just didn't know how he could possibly do something different, something fresh, but capture the same spirit as the Williams themes. And my oh my, did he ever. Man of Steel is one of my favorite modern scores, full stop. Just a musical feast and somehow distinctly Superman at every step.

I've never anticipated a score as much as I am with NTTD. It's absolute torture waiting for it.
  • edited May 2020 Posts: 820
    EDIT: Double post.
  • GadgetManGadgetMan Lagos, Nigeria
    Brilliant!....Zimmer's Score is the main reason I would be able to wait for Bond 26.....coz I know it's going to be a Consistent Earworm for years.
    mtm wrote: »
    Cool, that sounds good. A bit like how Barry would add a new Bondish theme every for his later few scores (‘He’s Dangerous’, the action theme in Octopussy etc.).

I think the Track 'He's Dangerous' is from AVTAK....it has little hints of OHMSS.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    I like the sounds of that. I'm looking forward to hearing what sort of sound Zimmer affords to Safin, considering his track record with villain themes. We've had a lot of iconic themes and gorgeous pieces of music throughout the series, but have we had a defining and recurring theme for a villain?
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    I like the sounds of that. I'm looking forward to hearing what sort of sound Zimmer affords to Safin, considering his track record with villain themes. We've had a lot of iconic themes and gorgeous pieces of music throughout the series, but have we had a defining and recurring theme for a villain?

We certainly had a few for various henchmen in the Barry years.
    The score is definitely one of my most anticipated aspects of the film. As many have mentioned already, Zimmer’s ability to take on iconic, legendary characters and sounds and to not just excel, but leave his stamp and offer something original while staying true to the essence of the character/franchise. As poor as the Zack Snyder DC films are as a whole, one of the shining positives are the iconic themes Zimmer created for Superman, Batman, and Wonder Woman. If Bond is truly a dream come true and something he’s mused about for years, I’m sure his score will be nothing short of spectacular, particularly with contributions from Eilish’s title song and Johnny Marr on guitar.
    edited May 2020 Posts: 4,247
    Yeah, @CraigMooreOHMSS....Zimmer is an expert at conjuring themes for Villians that can complete with the hero's theme as well. I guess it's a RCP thing, Coz even Henry Jackman's theme for the Winter Soldier Villian is another delight, as well as Steve Jablonsky's theme for the Villian LOCKDOWN from Transformers: Age Of Extinction, as well as other Decepticons from that franchise.

I think the likes of Goldfinger, Scaramanga, Zorin & Sanchez have themes of their own. Albeit, not as Blatant like Zimmer does.....Safin's theme is definitely going to be haunting, might sound ethereal.

We certainly had a few for various henchmen in the Barry years.

I can recall the Oddjob motif off the top of my head alright. And one could argue that the title theme is Goldfinger's theme, and that is woven into the score. So...
    I can't help but think that when Zimmer was Scoring Broken Arrow & Mission Impossible 2, he was thinking about Bond. I don't need to talk much about Inception, Coz that is a Bond Score, for a Brilliant would be Bond film. And Zimmer recruiting one of the Greatest Guitarists of all time means he clearly understands Bond.
  • edited May 2020 Posts: 3,164

I am really liking the sound of that. Really hope some of the score maybe makes its way out there before November
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited May 2020 Posts: 14,861
    GadgetMan wrote: »
    Cool, that sounds good. A bit like how Barry would add a new Bondish theme every for his later few scores (‘He’s Dangerous’, the action theme in Octopussy etc.).

I think the Track 'He's Dangerous' is from AVTAK....it has little hints of OHMSS.

Yes, I was listing them. The Octopussy one doesn’t seem to have a particular name.

Arnold put in motifs for the villains, or their evil doings, in most of his I think. TWINE’s springs to mind first, the motif you hear right at the top of the Caviar Factory cue when the helicopters appear is woven through the film.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    Gustav Graves had a great reccuring theme.
    True. I'll recant that, so.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Murdock wrote: »
    Gustav Graves had a great reccuring theme.

I feel like there’s a big version of it when the satellite is revealed, is that right? I can’t bring it to mind at the moment but is it right to say it pops up there? Lots of choir.
    This is the first bit of news about this score that's really made me excited. In my experience, Zimmer's scores are "make or break" depending on how interested he is in them.

When he's using a dozen ghostwriters or just dashes it out in a week, it's always subpar but when he's clearly enjoying the work, he does great stuff.
    @Pierce2Daniel that's very exciting to hear! Has your contact been able to shed any more light on the soundtrack?

There was an article from NME announcing the release of the soundtrack which had the following quote - Speaking about his involvement in the project last month, Zimmer said: “Having the opportunity to work on a franchise as iconic as 007 has been an incredibly humbling experience…We are all so excited for the world to hear the new sounds of James Bond in No Time To Die.”

https://www.nme.com/news/music/hans-zimmer-to-release-score-for-upcoming-james-bond-film-no-time-to-die-2611947

To me, that certainly alludes to what your contact has said.
  • MalloryMallory Do mosquitoes have friends?
    edited May 2020 Posts: 2,035
    It will be interesting to see how Zimmer weaves different themes thoughout the film.

I cant magine any of the Skyfall/Spectre themes will be back (so we wont hear Newman’s Madeline theme again, nor the Moneypenny theme).

So my thinking is:
    • The JB Theme and this new theme for James Bond
    • The “No Time to Die” Eilish song functioning as the romantic theme of the film for scenes featuring Bond and Madeline.
    • A Nomi theme
    • A Safin / Spectre evil theme.

Given Zimmer worked on the NTTD theme and has publicly performed it with Eilish, I expect it to be featured quite prominently throughout the film and given the lyrics are about Bond and Swann’s relationship, its use as “their” theme in the film would seem appropriate.
  • ContrabandContraband Sweden
    Not so much Bond. Posted May 22

Hans Zimmer & Alan Walker – Time (Official Remix)
    Walkers! I’m beyond excited to share this video with you. Collaborating with Hans Zimmer on this release has been an out-of-body experience on a whole different level. Everyone who knows me, knows that I’m a huge fan of his work, and it has played a big part of my musical journey. Especially “Time,” which is probably my favorite song ever. Plus it marks the 10th anniversary for Inception this year too. I’m as grateful as I can possibly be for this opportunity!

• mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Here's an interview with Zimmer on what he's been up to and he talks about NTTD, how he got the gig, working with Steve Mazzaro and Johnny Marr on it.

It certainly sounds like Steve Mazzaro has scored a large part of the film alongside Zimmer.

https://variety.com/2020/music/news/hans-zimmer-interview-bond-dune-lion-king-ascap-awards-1234646855/
    Here's an interview with Zimmer on what he's been up to and he talks about NTTD, how he got the gig, working with Steve Mazzaro and Johnny Marr on it.

It certainly sounds like Steve Mazzaro has scored a large part of the film alongside Zimmer.

https://variety.com/2020/music/news/hans-zimmer-interview-bond-dune-lion-king-ascap-awards-1234646855/

Not too surprising and Mazzaro did a pretty good job on Rhythm Section. I suspect this will be a Dark Phoenix situation where Zimmer did a lot of the main themes and motifs but Mazzaro did a lot of the actual arrangement. And I LOVE the DP score (can't say the same about the film itself) so I'm still really excited to see what they came up with.

If they want Zimmer back for B26, I'd hope they'd give him plenty of time to do his own score but he's rightfully a busy guy so we'll see
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    Love this quote,
    “ We were just embracing our inner John Barry [the English composer who established the Bond music traditions back in the 1960s]”
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited June 2020 Posts: 14,861
    bondbat007 wrote: »

Not too surprising and Mazzaro did a pretty good job on Rhythm Section. I suspect this will be a Dark Phoenix situation where Zimmer did a lot of the main themes and motifs but Mazzaro did a lot of the actual arrangement. And I LOVE the DP score (can't say the same about the film itself) so I'm still really excited to see what they came up with.

If they want Zimmer back for B26, I'd hope they'd give him plenty of time to do his own score but he's rightfully a busy guy so we'll see

Yeah it seems fair enough considering the timescales etc. I imagine he probably nabbed a couple of choice scenes he wanted to score for himself! As well as, as you say, main themes and motifs. I imagine he basically acts as a director on these, guiding where he wants the score to go, even if he doesn't do all of the 'acting' himself.
  • edited June 2020 Posts: 4,400

Very interesting read...the article also basically confirms that Zimmer has monopolised the sound of big Hollywood blockbusters. For better or worse.

Whilst I know the poster credits said 'Music by Hans Zimmer', I think it is very likely that Zimmer may eventually share credit once we see the final film and it will say 'Music by Hans Zimmer and Steve Mazzaro'.....though Zimmer has taken credit for other people's work before.

There was a whole controversy when The Dark Knight came out over it's Oscar eligibility as more people worked on that film than credited. Also, Dunkirk was said to have involved a number of other contributors working under Hans.

I'll confess to not being overly blown away by Mazzaro on The Rhythm Section. Happy to be proved wrong though.

Possible hints in here for NTTD's score......sounds like a Bond score to me:

Apart from Zimmer, why am Confident about NTTD's Score being Awesome is, the Composers worked on the Title Song, So they would use different Instrumental Variations for Various Scenes, whether Love/Romantic, Action or Suspenseful Scenes. And Apart from Marr playing the Electric Guitar on the Bond theme and other tracks, Zimmer did say he has his own Special Bond Theme.
  • edited June 2020 Posts: 7,500
    GadgetMan wrote: »
    Apart from Zimmer, why am Confident about NTTD's Score being Awesome is, the Composers worked on the Title Song, So they would use different Instrumental Variations for Various Scenes, whether Love/Romantic, Action or Suspenseful Scenes. And Apart from Marr playing the Electric Guitar on the Bond theme and other tracks, Zimmer did say he has his own Special Bond Theme.

I agree. I would be very surprised if the NTTD score is not great. Purely as a composer I actually don´t rate Zimmer that highly, but he is extremely clever, very good at adapting to the needs of each project he does and very experienced within the action genre. And as you say, the fact that he worked with Eilish on the theme song and seems to be a genuin Bond fan (at least a fan of the Bond sound) are very good signs. I don´t want to build up my expectations too highly... but I am still very confident it will be a great score.
    edited August 2020 Posts: 3,018
    Anyone knows what this is? Zimmer? Instrumental version of the Billie track mixed with the Bond theme. Apparently I'm also late to this party since it was posted 3 months ago. Either way, it's actually really good.

Contraband wrote: »
    Anyone knows what this is? Zimmer? Instrumental version of the Billie track mixed with the Bond theme. Apparently I'm also late to this party since it was posted 3 months ago. Either way, it's actually really good.

You got me excited there for a moment @Contraband!

Really looking forward to hearing what Zimmer has cooked up!
    Matt wrote: »
    Contraband wrote: »

You got me excited there for a moment @Contraband!

Really looking forward to hearing what Zimmer has cooked up!

Sorry, didn't mean to mislead you. Turns out it's a guy doing this kind of mashups on his channel. Several other movies.