No Time to Die production thread

Comments

• GadgetManGadgetMan Lagos, Nigeria
    In an ideal world, another round of marketing should start soon. But truly, it's a very tricky situation EON are in right now. Doing another round of marketing without releasing the film in November won't be ideal. I think they will be extra-careful this time around, coz November's release will have to be certain before November, so to speak. It's fair to say if no form of marketing gets underway soon, then we might be looking at a December 2020 release or most likely February 14th 2021....the first release date.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    AgentM72 wrote: »
    Samuel001 wrote: »

Oh, wow. Completely forgot about those.

I really do hope we find out, in detail, what Boyle's film was going to be after NTTD is properly released. The MI6 site led us to believe on Twitter they'd had firsthand accounts of the script, so hopefully it does one day all come to light...

Oh really? Yes I hope it emerges someday what it was all about, obviously NTTD has to come out first though!
    :)
  • imranbecksimranbecks Singapore
    GadgetMan wrote: »
    In an ideal world, another round of marketing should start soon. But truly, it's a very tricky situation EON are in right now. Doing another round of marketing without releasing the film in November won't be ideal. I think they will be extra-careful this time around, coz November's release will have to be certain before November, so to speak. It's fair to say if no form of marketing gets underway soon, then we might be looking at a December 2020 release or most likely February 14th 2021....the first release date.

Good grief. Hope not. I've had enough with the delays. They should just release it in November be it VOD or in cinemas. Or VOD first and just release it in the cinemas later when things are better. Coz honestly with the pandemic, the marketing they've done for it or will do again later is still screwed up. The box office still won't be how it used to be.
  • weboffearweboffear Scotland
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-52642152 Vue cinemas planning on re-opening
  • JWPepperJWPepper You sit on it, but you can't take it with you.
    Cinemas in the Netherlands are re-opening in june. Max. 30 people and in july-august max 100 people allowed. So, i'm confident NTTD will be released worldwide in november.
    GadgetMan wrote: »

Lad, in an ideal world Bond 25 woulda come out in 2018.
    As usual, lots of conflicting information....The Matrix looks to be the first production to re-start production in early-July:

However, winter is looking to be worse than Spring/Summer.

I think the best bet at this stage is simply to delay to 2021....I'm pretty certain there is a 0% chance that Shang-Chi will film before the start of next year. Black Widow will snap that May 7, 2021 release date.....but it could be perfect for 007.

Going to be a very interesting few months.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    I guess it makes sense to schedule some stuff even if you're not sure you'll be able to do it at the time. It's easier to cancel something than it is to get it suddenly started up.
  • matt_umatt_u better known as Mr. Roark
    Late Spring/Summer 2021 as for now is the safest season for a blockbuster release. They should move it and that’s it. November sounds too risky because we genuinely don’t know how things will turn out. Since the point is not just release it but release it and make as much money as possible, 2020 doesn’t sound like the right year to achieve so.
    They can release it in November. Theaters half full, spaced out seating, or some measures like that. Have it run for 8 weeks, then have a Home Premiere. Run that for X amount of weeks. Then a full worldwide theatrical run in the spring 2021.

OR just delay it indefinitely until movies make all their money at the box office again, could be years away.
    Eon should just VOD the movie on the condition that Trumpa-lumpa bails them out. Perfect.

They get their stimulus. We get our movie.
    Eon should just VOD the movie on the condition that Trumpa-lumpa bails them out. Perfect.

They get their stimulus. We get our movie.

Could you refrain from insulting the Oompa Loompas they are perfectly nice people
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited May 2020 Posts: 15,686
    There are growing talks in France that cinemas may not re-open until 2021 at the earliest. If this turns out to be correct, I do not see how NTTD, or any film for that matter, will be released until next year. France is a major box-office market, and we aren't the most affected country by coronavirus.
    There are growing talks in France that cinemas may not re-open until 2021 at the earliest. If this turns out to be correct, I do not see how NTTD, or any film for that matter, will be released until next year. France is a major box-office market, and we aren't the most affected country by coronavirus.

It's a confusing time with a lot of contradicting information....what we do know is that China is planning to re-open cinemas this weekend. So I suppose we shall see how that goes.....

A cinema chain in China has released this new campaign to spread the word about social distancing in cinemas. Personally, I think it's pretty great:

But there was a Vanity Fair article about the reopening of cinemas that had a very telling paragraph in it:

The relevant paragraph is excerpted below:

One executive whose studio moved most of their films to next year expressed relief. “It seemed drastic at the time but I’m happy they’re on a future horizon,” he said. “For any of the big tentpoles that cost a fortune and need to make even more, all of us need full moviegoing potential back—not partial capacities. It’s so hard to know when that happens, but I think we are still pretty far out from that.”

If MGM want NTTD to actually be profitable, then 2020 may be off the schedule....they want full audience capacity for release. They won't have that till summer next year optimistically speaking. If they wanted to take the risk after seeing reasonable returns for films brave enough to open in 2020, then fair play to them. It still doesn't mean that audience capacity will increase this year.

Therefore, I think the chances of NTTD coming in November are looking increasingly unlikely each day......though I'd say it's like 51/49 in favour of November currently. Just too soon to say.
  • NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada
    Forgive me if I'm missing something, but wouldn't releasing a film to partial capacities be similar to releasing it on VOD? i.e., decimating box office returns?
  • Red_SnowRed_Snow Australia
    Why 'Tenet' and 'Mulan' Can Succeed Even if Theaters Dramatically Slash Seating
    https://hollywoodreporter.com/news/why-tenet-mulan-can-succeed-theaters-slash-seating-1294551

Interesting read breaking down cinema seating and box office returns.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    This is a very difficult landscape to navigate at the moment and I don't envy them. It almost seems like a lose-lose-wait situation.
    This is a very difficult landscape to navigate at the moment and I don't envy them. It almost seems like a lose-lose-wait situation.

I'm envious that they've seen the film!
  • dominicgreenedominicgreene The Eternal QOS Defender
    edited May 2020 Posts: 1,756
    Everything in China is slowly opening up, it seems they’re doing very well, I’ve seen it first hand. No way Bond gets delayed until 2021 if there is no second wave. We’ll see what happens when China opens up theatres.
  • BondAficionadoBondAficionado Former IMDBer
    With things opening up and the virus still out there of course there will be a second wave. It's inevitable. The question is how large or flat the wave will be.
  • matt_umatt_u better known as Mr. Roark
    The big question is if releasing such blockbusters under those circumstances will be financially sustainable for the studios. People will go to the movies regardless the risk, social distance, restrictions, being forced to wear a mask? Beside the risk of closing again in a matter of weeks... Or with the risk of releasing a film without key markets...
    matt_u wrote: »
    The big question is if releasing such blockbusters under those circumstances will be financially sustainable for the studios. People will go to the movies regardless the risk, social distance, restrictions, being forced to wear a mask? Beside the risk of closing again in a matter of weeks... Or with the risk of releasing a film without key markets...

How do you do Popcorn and a beverage with a face mask on, the food an beverages are the real profit for cinemas
    In one german State some cinemas re-opened last weekend. You just need to wear a mask while moving around. When in your seat you can take it off. So of course you can eat snacks etc.
  • GadgetManGadgetMan Lagos, Nigeria
    There's even talks of the German Bundesliga resuming.
    It is all about the money for the big competitions otherwise their financial households might fold.
    Jan1985 wrote: »
    In one german State some cinemas re-opened last weekend. You just need to wear a mask while moving around. When in your seat you can take it off. So of course you can eat snacks etc.

Germany marketing is kicking in for NTTD as well...spotted this on Twitter

EX7Q1FWXkAEs8h8?format=jpg&name=small
  • ContrabandContraband Sweden
    Comments on my twitter from a follower:

Here in New Zealand, cinemas are now free to reopen as of today but they don't have an upcoming movies to screen (just saying). Apparently they're hoping people will hire them out for private screenings. There's nothing on the release schedules until TENET in July. I'm still trying to get them to show THE RHYTHM SECTION which did not get a New Zealand release at the start of the year. But back to my original point: there's nothing to stop United Artists/Universal from releasing NO TIME TO DIE in cinemas here from today onwards.

Regarding Corona

Zero new cases several days running though. We're officially at ' COVID level 2', meaning cinemas are free to operate as long as they practise social distancing and limit attendance numbers. The figures are accurate. But what you have to understand is that we had 2% community transmission and a complete shutdown of the country for two months to arrive at the point we're now at. Go early, go hard was the motto.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    Contraband wrote: »
    Comments on my twitter from a follower:

Here in New Zealand, cinemas are now free to reopen as of today but they don't have an upcoming movies to screen (just saying). Apparently they're hoping people will hire them out for private screenings. There's nothing on the release schedules until TENET in July. I'm still trying to get them to show THE RHYTHM SECTION which did not get a New Zealand release at the start of the year. But back to my original point: there's nothing to stop United Artists/Universal from releasing NO TIME TO DIE in cinemas here from today onwards.

Regarding Corona

Zero new cases several days running though. We're officially at ' COVID level 2', meaning cinemas are free to operate as long as they practise social distancing and limit attendance numbers. The figures are accurate. But what you have to understand is that we had 2% community transmission and a complete shutdown of the country for two months to arrive at the point we're now at. Go early, go hard was the motto.

New Zealand’s run of consecutive days without new coronavirus cases has ended. The first confirmed case in 3 days has been announced.

https://i.stuff.co.nz/national/121523055/coronavirus-one-new-covid19-case-in-marist-college-cluster
  • RichardTheBruceRichardTheBruce I'm motivated by my Duty.
    New Zealand is doing great.
    Onward! a907d439d43a9fd95d8f9c62726e7d287a99cdd9.png