The brand new guess the character

Comments

• Max_The_ParrotMax_The_Parrot ATAC to St Cyril’s
    Clues added
    Birdleson wrote: »
    Martin, the crewman who glimpses XXX in the shower?

Clever, I can see that fits quite a few clues very well, but I’m afraid it’s not him
  • IGotTheMessageIGotTheMessage United States
    Hey everyone,

It is nice to see you all again.
    Bibi from FYEO?
    edited April 2020 Posts: 2,426
    @IGotTheMessage good to have you back, thanks for the guess but I’m afraid it’s not the athletic Bibi, keep trying! 🤞

New clues added
    edited April 2020 Posts: 2,426
    I’ll add a bonus picture clue as well, see if that does the job
  • goldenswissroyalegoldenswissroyale Switzerland
    Captain Nikolai?
    Sorry @goldenswissroyale it’s not Cap Nik
    Bonds masseuse from YOLT?
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    Tanner (GE/TWINE) ?
    Sorry guys it’s neither of those, I’ll copy the clues to the new page and add today’s.
    edited May 2020 Posts: 2,426
    Guess the EON character

1. If I look outside I’ll find evidence that Bond has come back from the future
    2. A piece of Moneypenny’s furniture would be useful to me
    3. I’m not one for gesticulation
    4. A woman! Bond’s powers of observation do him credit, you miss out on the treat!
    5. Analyse this ... I count 13 in the first one, and 7 in the second
    6. It’s all Greek to me!
    7. I’m seen with an actor who appeared in the previous film. This time he turns out to be a blast!
    8. Picture clue
    japan-flag-slow-motion-seamlessly-footage-061013632_iconl.jpeg
    9. My colleague needs two more steps to reach his destination but he doesn’t make it
    10. True to form, Bond is paying far more attention to the girl than to us
    11. German technology enables us to find out what the villain is up to
    12. I suppose I could be credited as Continuity Boy?
    13. ... Certainly the collars and cuffs match
    14. Like Roger Moore’s eyebrows, I have three standard positions - hands behind my back, hands in front or hands folded
    15. I have nothing useful to say in my first appearance, and nothing to say at all in my second
    16. It’s an unusual view I’m looking at but it’s one I’m very familiar with
    17. The costume department had an off day when they dressed me ...
    18. ... And someone else didn’t pay enough attention in geography lessons, rather carelessly I don’t notice
    19. Picture clue
    67-F7-DBAD-E0-E0-4422-AEC7-769-A45348-D22.png
    20. Has Bond spotted me in the movie Lassie Come Home, perhaps?
    21. I reveal so very little whilst also revealing an awful lot, and all with a little help from a friend[/b]
    22. I’m two up on the other fella, at least on paper
    23. It appears this situation will be a three telephone problem!
    24. You could say I’m ‘in the same business’ as the person I’m sat next to, ‘but with rival companies’
    25. The world is not enough for my second appearance, but two will do
    26. Picture clue
    66-F52-C44-18-B9-41-CE-9-AA9-057-BC69-BBEA2.jpg
    27. I’m portrayed by someone somewhat pleonastic
    28. Moneypenny ought to be jealous when she sees the size of mine
    29. Behold the allied global reach
    30. Like Harry Potter a swish of my hand signals the big reveal

Guesses

Bibi Dahl
    Bond’s masseuse (YOLT)
    Captain Nikolai
    Chang
    Chula
    Dolly
    Drax’s dogs
    Florist (FYEO)
    Gen Gogol
    Hans
    Johnny (GF)
    Karl Stromberg
    Kincade
    Martin (TSWLM)
    Odd Job
    Owner of Douglas DC-3 (QOS)
    Patricia Fearing
    Pinder’ s radioman
    Quist
    Smithers
    Tanner (any)
    The woman who operates the workout/stretching machine which Bond almost dies on in Thunderball?
  • R1s1ngs0nR1s1ngs0n France
    The woman who operates the workout/stretching machine which Bond almost dies on in Thunderball?

Patricia Wearing
    Thanks for having a go @R1s1ngs0n but it’s not Pat

Clues added
  • CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea
    General Gogol (specifically in MR?)
    Sorry @CommanderRoss its not Gogol 🙁
    Hans, Blofeld's bodyguard
    It’s not Hans sorry, keep thinking 🤞
    Max the parrot
    R1s1ngs0n wrote: »
    Max the parrot

Where is this likeable and funny bird? I'm getting nervous already. I need my daily dose of new hints otherwise I start twitching.
    The Guy who pulls the rope which reveals the map for Sir John in TB?

Very good guess!
    It is Sir John himself! X_X
    Firstly sorry not posting yesterday, had been oiling the decking which took all day and didn’t have the energy to come in afterwards.

Secondly oh my, this is awkward! All I can say is I’m glad we’re not playing this in the pub, there would be glasses flying around the room at this moment, and I would be left with the clean-up bill! 😶☺️😲

Congratulations goes to @goldenswissroyale it is indeed Vice Air Marshal Sir John (TB). Well done indeed, you are on a roll! 👍

After the last round I thought it might be fun to play a character very close to the previous round, to see if people still had Pritchard in their mind.

Turns out it took much longer than I thought, and I suspect in trying to come up with more clues to describe the scene perhaps they focused on the man with the rope too much, leading @Birdleson ‘upthe garden path’. If so I take full responsibility for that and apologise! Seriously well done as well @Birdleson! 👍

Sir John

1 If I look outside I’ll find evidence that Bond has come back from the future
    There is a bare tree outside the window of the conference room. This matches the PTS, but contradicts the Shrublands scenes where trees are in full leaf

2 A piece of Moneypenny’s furniture would be useful to me
    the hat stand - Sir John has to place his cap on the table in front of him instead

3 I’m not one for gesticulation
    See clue 14

4 A woman! Bond’s powers of observation do him credit, you miss out on the treat!
    The person sat in 003’s position in the mission briefing scene is a woman, Bond can see her, but from our point of view we can’t see who is sitting in the chair

5 Analyse this ... I count 13 in the first one, and 7 in the second
    ’Count’ referring to numbers - there are 13 numbers mentioned in Blofeld’s first tape recorded message that Sir John listens to, and 7 numbers in the second one

6 It’s all Greek to me!
    The tapestries on the walls of the MI6 conference depict part of the Ancient Greek myth of Jason

7 I’m seen with an actor who appeared in the previous film. This time he turns out to be a blast!
    General Russhon, whose name appeared on Fort Knox in GF, is next to M at the briefing. He helped secure experimental rocket fuel used to create the explosion of the Disco Volante

8 Picture clue
    A red circle - Sir John draws attention to the red circle on the map

9 My colleague needs two more steps to reach his destination but he doesn’t make it
    In the ‘crisis-room’ scene a man needs to stand on steps to be able to point to Myanmar on the map but he can only reach as far as Singapore

10 True to form, Bond is paying far more attention to the girl than to us
    Once Bond opens the FYEO folder he spends his time admiring Domino’s photo instead of the briefing

11 German technology enables us to find out what the villain is up to
    The SPECTRE tape is played on a tape player made by Uher, a German brand

12 I suppose I could be credited as Continuity Boy?
    This choice of ‘guess the character’ relates directly to the previous character Group Captain Pritchard

13 ... Certainly the collars and cuffs match
    Both wear RAF uniform

14 Like Roger Moore’s eyebrows, I have three standard positions - hands behind my back, hands in front or hands folded
    Sir John spends almost all his time in one of these three positions

15 I have nothing useful to say in my first appearance, and nothing to say at all in my second
    He has no idea where the Vulcan is, or whether it’s crashed or landed, in the briefing. In the crisis-room scene he says nothing.

16 It’s an unusual view I’m looking at but it’s one I’m very familiar with
    The map Sir John uses in his presentation is a conic projection which looks strange to the general public but is commonly used for aerial navigation, thus an RAF officer would be familiar with it

17 The costume department had an off day when they dressed me
    The movie credits him as Air Vice Marshal, but his uniform clearly bears the three stripes of an Air Marshal

18 And someone else didn’t pay enough attention in geography lessons, rather carelessly I don’t notice
    The tape gives coordinates for a drop off on the coast of Burma but 20N60E is off the East coast of Oman, far from Myanmar. You would have thought an Air Force Officer would spot this.

19 picture clue: Two projections
    The two maps Sir John is seen with are two different projections of the world, a conic projection and a Mercator projection

20 Has Bond spotted me in the movie Lassie Come Home, perhaps?
    Bond surmises with Moneypenny that the meeting is about the Home Secretary’s wife losing a dog

21 I reveal so very little whilst also revealing an awful lot, and all with a little help from a friend
    Sir John gives no real useful information in his presentation, but he does reveal a giant map behind the tapestry thanks to a colleague pulling the rope

22 I’m two up on the other fella, at least on paper
    His rank of Vice Air Marshal is two higher than Group Captain Pritchard

23 It appears this situation will be a three telephone problem!
    There are three telephones on the table in front of M and Sir John in the ‘crisis-room’ meeting

24 You could say I’m ‘in the same business’ as the person I’m sat next to, ‘but with rival companies’
    Sits next to M, both with a Forces background, but M is from the Navy, Sir John the Air Force

25 The world is not enough for my second appearance, but two will do
    Sir John makes use of one giant map of the world in the 00 briefing, but in the crisis-room scene the tapestry in the opposite wall has also risen to reveal a second map

26 Picture clue A scene from Alfred Hitchcock’s Rope
    See clue 21 regarding the rope. Hitchcock also points you towards Thunderball - he was contacted regards directing the film during the McClory/Fleming/Bryce project

27 I’m portrayed by someone somewhat pleonastic
    Edward Underdown

28 Moneypenny ought to be jealous when she sees the size of mine
    Moneypenny has a small map of the world on the wall of her office

29 Behold the allied global reach
    The second wall map is labelled Allied Global Reach

30 Like Harry Potter a swish of my hand signals the big reveal
    Sir John gives the signal for the map to be revealed
    Wow, that was a crazy round with so many smart and tricky riddles. I'm sure that a lot of time was spent to come up with all these clues. Your solutions even contain some fantastic trivia I didn't know before.
    Respect! @Max_The_Parrot.

Sorry @Birdleson. You did 95 % of the work. I'm not proud of my victory. If you want, you can go on with the next one.
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    I had no idea on that round. Well done to @Max_The_Parrot on some very clever clues.
    And to @goldenswissroyale for solving it.
    No, it’s fair. That type of thing has happened before. I guess I just never considered Sir John himself because I had played him in the past and that had somehow voided him out of contention subconsciously. Good job both.
    Okay, thanks. I will start a new round later today.
  • CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea
    I deeply bow to the genius that our bird-brain is! Epic clues! Well done bothe @Birdleson and @goldenswissroyale !! This is why I love this thread so much!
    Yes that’s why I like this thread, it makes me pay much more attention to what’s going on and find new things I’ve never noticed when I’m watching.