Who should/could be a Bond actor? *SPOILERS*

1590591593595596868

Comments

  • BennyBenny Classified Administrator, Moderator
    Posts: 12,171
    Denbigh wrote: »
    I also always thought Christopher Abbott (34) would be a good James Bond - but he's American :/ Actually he kinda seems like almost an American Aidan Turner.

    618a8398.jpg?w=2048
    christopher-abbott-catch-22-1558006357.jpg

    You're a brave man @Denbigh you should know that no-one compares to Aidan Turner ;)
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    Posts: 6,190
    Looks more like a young Brando.
  • BennyBenny Classified Administrator, Moderator
    edited April 2020 Posts: 12,171
    One that popped up on IMDb and made me wonder if he could have potential is
    Alex Pettyfer

    https://www.imdb.com/name/nm1641117/?ref_=hm_brn_13

    ce9le5sej0mu.jpg
    amf59lsapg13.png

    30 years old
    1.81m - 5feet 11 inches
    Could be a credible candidate when the time comes.
  • Posts: 178
    Benny wrote: »
    One that popped up on IMDb and made me wonder if he could have potential is
    Alex Pettyfer

    https://www.imdb.com/name/nm1641117/?ref_=hm_brn_13

    ce9le5sej0mu.jpg
    amf59lsapg13.png

    30 years old
    1.81m - 5feet 11 inches
    Could be a credible candidate when the time comes.

    Except for everything about him.
  • DrClatterhandDrClatterhand United Kingdom
    Posts: 349
    M_Blaise wrote: »
    Benny wrote: »
    One that popped up on IMDb and made me wonder if he could have potential is
    Alex Pettyfer

    https://www.imdb.com/name/nm1641117/?ref_=hm_brn_13

    ce9le5sej0mu.jpg
    amf59lsapg13.png

    30 years old
    1.81m - 5feet 11 inches
    Could be a credible candidate when the time comes.

    Except for everything about him.

    Lol.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    Posts: 4,684
    talos7 wrote: »
    Looks more like a young Brando.
    Definitely. A shame he's American cause I think he'd be good.

    And sorry @Benny haha :D But the comparison remains
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe Given the circumstances
    Posts: 7,331
    Getafix wrote: »
    Saw Hoult in Tolkein recently and thought he was good. I'd be surprised if he wasn't on EON's radar.

    Babs obviously like Jamie Bell as well. Wouldn't rule either of them out.

    I might have to seek out more of his work, this new Hulu show he has looks great. Essentially as expansion on the pompous twit he played in The Favourite (the show has the same writer):



    Also Hoult has a Taylor Sheridan film with Angelina Jolie in the works. Now that could could very very very special....

    I think he, alongside younger contenders like Jack O'Connell and Richard Madden are likely the names that we will be discussing more in the next three years. Most of the people suggested - such as Idris Elba, Aidan Turner will be too old.

    tolkien-movie-images-4.jpg

    Why would Aidan Turner be too old, hes 36!

    At most he'll be early forties by the time of Bond 26, and thats exactly the age of Brosnan and Dalton, and younger than Moore by some margin.

    41 is still young enough for 3 - 5 films.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    Posts: 4,684
    I think Aidan's a good choice, I just he's too obvious at this point.
  • Posts: 5,735
    I'm currently watching the recent The Pale Horse adaptation, starring Rufus Sewell. That made me wonder if he was ever considered for the role of Bond at some point.

    TELEMMGLPICT000223240846_trans_NvBQzQNjv4BqpVlberWd9EgFPZtcLiMQfyf2A9a6I9YchsjMeADBa08.jpeg

    Looks like he wouldn't mind playing a villain though:


    Always thought that. Could've been. He doesn't have the right voice for Bond. Would make for a proper villain, though.
  • edited April 2020 Posts: 11,425
    Getafix wrote: »
    Saw Hoult in Tolkein recently and thought he was good. I'd be surprised if he wasn't on EON's radar.

    Babs obviously like Jamie Bell as well. Wouldn't rule either of them out.

    I might have to seek out more of his work, this new Hulu show he has looks great. Essentially as expansion on the pompous twit he played in The Favourite (the show has the same writer):



    Also Hoult has a Taylor Sheridan film with Angelina Jolie in the works. Now that could could very very very special....

    I think he, alongside younger contenders like Jack O'Connell and Richard Madden are likely the names that we will be discussing more in the next three years. Most of the people suggested - such as Idris Elba, Aidan Turner will be too old.

    tolkien-movie-images-4.jpg

    Why would Aidan Turner be too old, hes 36!

    At most he'll be early forties by the time of Bond 26, and thats exactly the age of Brosnan and Dalton, and younger than Moore by some margin.

    41 is still young enough for 3 - 5 films.

    The Hoult is definitely one to watch.

    Turner really doesn't seem like Bab's type. She likes to go outside the predictable and prove the doubters wrong. She won't go for the obvious choice.

    I would put large amounts of money on Turner never being Bond
  • Posts: 25
    Getafix wrote: »

    Turner really doesn't seem like Bab's type. She likes to go outside the predictable and prove the doubters wrong. She won't go for the obvious choice.

    I would put large amounts of money on Turner never being Bond

    I read a bit of gossip that Barbara Broccoli was turned off of Turner and Hiddleston. Too self-absorbed and narcissistic (read difficult to work with).
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    Posts: 6,190
    Getafix wrote: »

    Turner really doesn't seem like Bab's type. She likes to go outside the predictable and prove the doubters wrong. She won't go for the obvious choice.

    I would put large amounts of money on Turner never being Bond

    I read a bit of gossip that Barbara Broccoli was turned off of Turner and Hiddleston. Too self-absorbed and narcissistic (read difficult to work with).

    I can see this with Hiddleston, but I’ve never detected a hint of it from Turner.
  • JeremyBondonJeremyBondon Seeking out odd jobs with Oddjob @Tangier
    Posts: 982
    Getafix wrote: »

    Turner really doesn't seem like Bab's type. She likes to go outside the predictable and prove the doubters wrong. She won't go for the obvious choice.

    I would put large amounts of money on Turner never being Bond

    I read a bit of gossip that Barbara Broccoli was turned off of Turner and Hiddleston. Too self-absorbed and narcissistic (read difficult to work with).

    You're right... Gossip. Most likely didn't even mention Turner. Hiddle piddle on the other hand...

    Turner is "notorious" for being a nice guy and a class act, that's about it. The American guy up there looks good, by the way. Much better than Hoult with his annoying baby face.
  • Posts: 11,425
    Funny I was thinking Turner is a bit too like Brosnan. Clearly in love with himself. I really don't see Babs going down that route at all.
  • CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea
    Posts: 7,026
    The only good 'alternative', at least in looks, besides the Turner dribble, is that Scottish bloke from Scotland. Martin? Looks the part for sure.
  • JeremyBondonJeremyBondon Seeking out odd jobs with Oddjob @Tangier
    edited April 2020 Posts: 982
    May I remind you gents Turner has annihilated the competition with 12 votes. After A comes B: Make Bond Great Again. That will be all.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    edited April 2020 Posts: 4,684
    I hope this doesn't just become a Aidan Turner fan page. I'm not saying he's not a good pick, I'm just very aware of how attached people can get to their own opinions on this page. It then becomes a comparison between every actor we speak about and Aidan Turner, which isn't what the page is about.

    To me, he's a good choice but an easy one - if that makes sense. Also just cause a few people on here "voted" for him, doesn't make him Bond and doesn't make him the best choice. To be honest until we see them actually in the role we're not gonna know, regardless of what anyone says.
  • Posts: 13,401
    Getafix wrote: »
    Funny I was thinking Turner is a bit too like Brosnan. Clearly in love with himself. I really don't see Babs going down that route at all.

    I don't see it either. Turner is like a 90s choice.
  • DrClatterhandDrClatterhand United Kingdom
    Posts: 349
    It'll definitely be another leftfield choice, and rightly so. Turner is just too obvious. Choosing him suggests business as usual Bond. The Craig era has had the odd misfire, but it's been interesting. Plus, we've had two stone-cold classics in Casino Royale and Skyfall. Please don't go down the route of Brosnan: The Return.
  • JeremyBondonJeremyBondon Seeking out odd jobs with Oddjob @Tangier
    Posts: 982
    Denbigh wrote: »
    I hope this doesn't just become a Aidan Turner fan page. I'm not saying he's not a good pick, I'm just very aware of how attached people can get to their own opinions on this page. It then becomes a comparison between every actor we speak about and Aidan Turner, which isn't what the page is about.

    To me, he's a good choice but an easy one - if that makes sense. Also just cause a few people on here "voted" for him, doesn't make him Bond and doesn't make him the best choice. To be honest until we see them actually in the role we're not gonna know, regardless of what anyone says.

    It's easy most likely because to the majority of people he makes the most sense. May I remind you he was an underdog on Mi6 not too long ago. People warmed up to him rather gradually. Perhaps we should just lock this thread until we hear or see about an official update from EoN in the far future.

  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    Posts: 6,190
    So there’s actor who has a substantial amount of fan support, not that it means a thing, and that ruffles the feathers of some to the point of where they make snide remarks toward the supporters while saying that he’s too obvious So bizarre and petty.
  • Posts: 11,425
    It'll definitely be another leftfield choice, and rightly so. Turner is just too obvious. Choosing him suggests business as usual Bond. The Craig era has had the odd misfire, but it's been interesting. Plus, we've had two stone-cold classics in Casino Royale and Skyfall. Please don't go down the route of Brosnan: The Return.

    I think you can rest easy. Babs would never say it publicly but I suspect she was scarred by the Brosnan experience. Those are not the types of film that people get out of bed to make. She made her intent very clear when she cast Craig. The next Bond will not be Turner or anyone like him.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    Posts: 6,190
    Getafix wrote: »
    It'll definitely be another leftfield choice, and rightly so. Turner is just too obvious. Choosing him suggests business as usual Bond. The Craig era has had the odd misfire, but it's been interesting. Plus, we've had two stone-cold classics in Casino Royale and Skyfall. Please don't go down the route of Brosnan: The Return.

    I think you can rest easy. Babs would never say it publicly but I suspect she was scarred by the Brosnan experience. Those are not the types of film that people get out of bed to make. She made her intent very clear when she cast Craig. The next Bond will not be Turner or anyone like him.

    Based on some of his performances outside of Bond, any perceived problems with the Brosnan era, are not his fault. Tarantino basically said that Brosnan was a great Bond in the wrong films.
  • JeremyBondonJeremyBondon Seeking out odd jobs with Oddjob @Tangier
    Posts: 982
    talos7 wrote: »
    Getafix wrote: »
    It'll definitely be another leftfield choice, and rightly so. Turner is just too obvious. Choosing him suggests business as usual Bond. The Craig era has had the odd misfire, but it's been interesting. Plus, we've had two stone-cold classics in Casino Royale and Skyfall. Please don't go down the route of Brosnan: The Return.

    I think you can rest easy. Babs would never say it publicly but I suspect she was scarred by the Brosnan experience. Those are not the types of film that people get out of bed to make. She made her intent very clear when she cast Craig. The next Bond will not be Turner or anyone like him.

    Based on some of his performances outside of Bond, any perceived problems with the Brosnan era, are not his fault. Tarantino basically said that Brosnan was a great Bond in the wrong films.

    This. @Getafix is talking out of his rear end. Ta.
  • edited April 2020 Posts: 11,425
    talos7 wrote: »
    Getafix wrote: »
    It'll definitely be another leftfield choice, and rightly so. Turner is just too obvious. Choosing him suggests business as usual Bond. The Craig era has had the odd misfire, but it's been interesting. Plus, we've had two stone-cold classics in Casino Royale and Skyfall. Please don't go down the route of Brosnan: The Return.

    I think you can rest easy. Babs would never say it publicly but I suspect she was scarred by the Brosnan experience. Those are not the types of film that people get out of bed to make. She made her intent very clear when she cast Craig. The next Bond will not be Turner or anyone like him.

    Based on some of his performances outside of Bond, any perceived problems with the Brosnan era, are not his fault. Tarantino basically said that Brosnan was a great Bond in the wrong films.

    I basically agree with you and Tarantino except I don't think Brosnan was a great Bond. His actual performances as Bond are pretty mediocre. But I feel I've seen him in enough good stuff though to feel he could have been a decent Bond. It was a very strange time to be a Bond fan. I really feel like EON completely lost their way. I think Brosnan needed a tough, demanding director like Tarantino to bring out his best.
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe Given the circumstances
    edited April 2020 Posts: 7,331
    The Bond films have a history of changing course when a new actor gets hired, and taking things in a fresh direction. I don't know why some seem to think they would break with this tradition now, and basically hire Craig 2.0. I think Babs is intelligent enough to realise that people don't want the same thing, and many are hungry for a more classic Bond again. If they tried to emulate Craig it would be a real disaster. The smart move is to shift gears completely.

    That's what I look for when I hunt for potential candidates, and so far Aidan Turner is the only one who has all the aspects. When the worse you can say is "too obvious" then it kinda shows that the guy has a lot going for him, and has potential.

  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    edited April 2020 Posts: 4,684
    talos7 wrote: »
    So there’s actor who has a substantial amount of fan support, not that it means a thing, and that ruffles the feathers of some to the point of where they make snide remarks toward the supporters while saying that he’s too obvious So bizarre and petty.
    I'm guessing this is aimed at my post. I'm not making snide remarks at all, I'm just noticing that a lot of people are using Aidan as a model for the next James Bond, as if he represents everything we're looking for or should be.

    I'm just asking people to keep an open mind. I really like Aidan, and think he'd do a good job but I agree with @DrClatterhand, at this point he seems too obvious. It's not really petty is it? Just don't want to push this discussion into a corner by making it about one actor every time.

    Just asking for a bit of a variety. We have quite a long time probably till a new guy is chosen, lets just widen the field a little bit.
  • edited April 2020 Posts: 4,431
    @Mendes4Lyfe I agree re your point about avoiding Craig2. From a sustainability perspective, its clear from recent music choices that they are aware that they need to focus on a younger market. To be fair to Craig, even at the start of his Bond career, he had that well...not youthful look, lets put it that way. "Boyish charm" is a cliche but that's the direction IMHO and the then links to the casting. They need someone who can inject a little more fun and lightness whilst still being a killer - it's a big ask. (unless your name is Cruise)
  • Posts: 11,425
    The Bond films have a history of changing course when a new actor gets hired, and taking things in a fresh direction. I don't know why some seem to think they would break with this tradition now, and basically hire Craig 2.0. I think Babs is intelligent enough to realise that people don't want the same thing, and many are hungry for a more classic Bond again. If they tried to emulate Craig it would be a real disaster. The smart move is to shift gears completely.

    That's what I look for when I hunt for potential candidates, and so far Aidan Turner is the only one who has all the aspects. When the worse you can say is "too obvious" then it kinda shows that the guy has a lot going for him, and has potential.

    The choice is not between Craig 2.0 and Turner
  • ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
    Posts: 4,043
    If we went back 2004 -05 and were conducting the same type of pole, Clive Owen would have run away with it and likely Craig wouldn't have even been mentioned or even recognised and we all know how that one turned out.

    It is just an opinion some of us just can't see Turner in the role, either because we don't see him as Bond or that Barbara won't cast him it as simple as that.

    Sorry the Turner fan club has a hard time with this.
Sign In or Register to comment.