Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny (30th June 2023)

Comments

• edited February 2020 Posts: 440
    Would bet good money on the movie bringing back John Williams to score, if he's still in a condition to work on it.

As for the who the villains will be, that's a little tougher to guess. Word had it that the Kasdan script involved some kind of search for the Wałbrzych Nazi gold train but it's since been thrown out.

Spielberg did go on record as saying that after making Schindler's List he didn't want to make the Nazis into comical bad guys ever again but as that was over 12 years ago, perhaps his views may have changed.
  • WalecsWalecs On Her Majesty's Secret Service
    I wouldn't want Nazis, especially if the movie is set in the 60s. It would only give me The Force Awakens vibes - "let's copy what we did in the past because it worked instead of attempting something new".
  • edited February 2020 Posts: 440
    Walecs wrote: »
    I wouldn't want Nazis, especially if the movie is set in the 60s. It would only give me The Force Awakens vibes - "let's copy what we did in the past because it worked instead of attempting something new".

I don't know, it could work. Let's not forget that after the war, thousands upon thousands of Nazis escaped trial via the use of "ratlines" and the US-backed Operation Paperclip.

If one really wanted to do a different kind of Indiana Jones movie, one without a long MacGuffin hunt, why not have him be recruited to do some kind of Nazi-hunting? After all, the 50s-70s were the heydey for people like Simon Wiesenthal.

Not that I think this will happen, mind you. Indiana Jones has never really gotten that dark before, or really delved into actual real-world atrocities. My guess is that the villain will just be some non-ideological bad guy after an artefact or treasure or something.

:Edit: Intriguing little James Bond-related factoid: this will be the first Indiana Jones film/Spielberg film to be shot at Pinewood Studios. My guess would be because Disney now owns both Indiana Jones and a lease on Pinewood for the next decade.

(The first three were filmed at Elstree Studios in Hertfordshire and Crystal Skull was shot entirely in Los Angeles.)
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited February 2020 Posts: 14,947
    I think there are plenty or baddies: the Mafia or Yakuza seem pretty ripe. Or even some sort of corrupt US Govt folk? Spies like Spectre? Illuminati? :) Loads of options.
    It’s a bit of a shame that Last Crusade re-ran Raiders so closely, as Temple had shown that Indy films don’t have to follow the same formula.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    @boldfinger @DarthDimi @MajorDSmythe @Thunderfinger

Please check @nobodydoesitbetter's post above. Major news concerning Indy 5.
    I knew they were going to delay it once again :)) I know it's not confirmed yet, but if it is...
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    Wow... Don't know that to say.
  • This is great news! With Spielberg there was a risk of the franchise getting stale, and Mangold is one of the promising up and coming directors. This is news that could get me excited once again.
  • DoctorNoDoctorNo USA-Maryland
    Spielberg was reluctant with Crystal Skull so I’m surprised he didn’t back out of this sooner or always intended to hand it off or never thought it would come to be...

Mangold is a solid director so I’m totally okay with this... Spielberg would have phoned in another half ass attempt at comedy instead of an exciting action adventure movie.
  • No offense to Spielberg, he made some of the greatest films of our times, but the past 20 years hasn't been up to his high standard from the 20 before that. IMO.

I'm okay with this.
    Well that news came out of the blue. To younger people i dont think the Spielberg name means quite so much as it does to us older folks. I grew up during that golden period from the mid seventies to the late eighties when Spielbergs genius was in full flow. The idea of an Indy film without him at the helm is just unthinkable. Mangold has done some good work but lets face it, he's very much a journeyman director.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    edited February 2020 Posts: 7,970
    cooperman2 wrote: »
    Well that news came out of the blue. To younger people i dont think the Spielberg name means quite so much as it does to us older folks. I grew up during that golden period from the mid seventies to the late eighties when Spielbergs genius was in full flow. The idea of an Indy film without him at the helm is just unthinkable. Mangold has done some good work but lets face it, he's very much a journeyman director.

As is Martin Campbell

As stated above, Spielberg is one of the greatest directors of our time, but nothing that he's done in the past 10 to 15 year has really come close to his previous works. I'm 56 and have been watching his films since Duel first aired.

Mangold has done some solid films; he's a good pick. The franchise needs someone new in "the chair" .

Don't get me wrong Spielberg hasnt made a great film since Munich but i still live in hope that he can recapture some of his old magic. Looking forward to West Side Story his long awaited foray into the musical genre. I dont doubt that Mangold would make a solid Indy movie. But i want more than "solid" from an Indiana Jones film
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Yeah I was hoping he was doing this in order to sort of redeem himself for Crystal Skull: but even that is recognisably a Spielberg film, even if turned down a few notches. Will it even be an Indy film without him? I don’t know. And without him, will Williams be onboard? The Star Wars films suggest so, but who knows now.
    Mangold is a good director, he did a great job on Ford vs Ferrari: he showed he can do action, drama, tension, heart and humour with that film. But only one guy is Steven Spielberg.
    But, like an athlete who we remember in his prime time passes. The Spielberg who many of us grew up with hasn’t been around for quite some time. His present day sensibilities may make it impossible for him to recapture what fans want to see. He may know actually know this. In fact I suspect Spielberg saw something in Ford vs Ferrari that prompted his decision to step aside and bring in Mangold.
    I want to see one last, great Indiana Jones film starring Harrison Ford; hopefully we get one.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Or there’s been some sort of trouble between him and Disney: I guess it depends when he stepped aside. If it’s due to start filming in two months and he’s only just gone then I don’t think it was a choice to get the Le Mans guy in.
    mtm wrote: »
    Or there’s been some sort of trouble between him and Disney: I guess it depends when he stepped aside. If it’s due to start filming in two months and he’s only just gone then I don’t think it was a choice to get the Le Mans guy in.

As with Bond , there are so many behind the scene stories that I would love to hear.
  • edited February 2020 Posts: 5,767
    Ho. I´m not saying I´m totally against it, but it´s going to take a while to wrap my head around the idea of Spielberg not directing this. Must be because Temple of Doom really left an impression in me. I think it was the first time I felt the unstoppable urge to see it again, and again in the cinema. Yeah, didn´t happen with Crystal Skull as much. But still, gonna need some time to pocess this. Somehow I´m not overwhelmed with Mangold too.
    The change of director feels like they´re already initiating a process of softly leading over into the next era of the franchise, i.e. this time without Ferrari, next time without Ford.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    boldfinger wrote: »
    Ho. I´m not saying I´m totally against it, but it´s going to take a while to wrap my head around the idea of Spielberg not directing this. Must be because Temple of Doom really left an impression in me. I think it was the first time I felt the unstoppable urge to see it again, and again in the cinema. Yeah, didn´t happen with Crystal Skull as much. But still, gonna need some time to pocess this. Somehow I´m not overwhelmed with Mangold too.

Yeah I remember a while ago hearing that Tarantino calls Tenple Spielberg’s best directed film, and you can see what he means. It might not be the best Indy film, but the direction is just so sharp and assured and energetic and sparky in that one: he’s absolutely at his peak.
    boldfinger wrote: »
    The change of director feels like they´re already initiating a process of softly leading over into the next era of the franchise, i.e. this time without Ferrari, next time without Ford.

Ha! Very nice :D

I know what you mean: this now feels like less the end of an era than the beginning of a way to do something else with Indy. Which is good in one way, but also I feel more unsure about what this is actually going to be now.
    So Spielberg is not at the top of his game, but is Ford? I keep reading all the comments of how good he looks for his age, etc., and while I don't disagree, the fact is he's still almost 80 and going to be doing stunts we sneer at Roger Moore for when he was 20 years younger than this in AVTAK.

If this film is going to happen, I would rather see Spielberg and Ford go out together than bring in a new guy, because honestly I don't have high hopes for this new project.

The Indy series is right behind Bond and Mission: Impossible and ahead of things like Star Wars for me, so I have had mixed feelings about another Indy given the top-tier entertainments of the original trilogy and the disappointment of Crystal Skull. While I'm not clear on if he has any involvement, but if you wanna kick Lucas to the curb, take one of my feet.
  • edited February 2020 Posts: 5,767
    mtm wrote: »
    I know what you mean: this now feels like less the end of an era than the beginning of a way to do something else with Indy. Which is good in one way, but also I feel more unsure about what this is actually going to be now.
    Exactly.

talos7 wrote: »

It´s funny, I was surprised at how much younger than now Ford looks on those pics from KOTCS. On the other hand, I really think he gives a much more lively vibe at the moment, both in interviews and in Call of the Wild.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Well Crystal Skull was a pretty long time ago now: four years more than there was between Raiders and Crusade, even.
    I haven't enjoyed a Spielberg movie since 2011 (Tin-Tin) and I disliked most of his 2000s stuff.
  • cooperman2 wrote: »

I respectfully disagree that Mangold is a journeyman director. His work on Logan and Ford vs. Ferrari is fantastic. FvF, in particular, is a film that by right should be a snooze fest but is riveting from beginning to end. I've never been excited by car racing in my life but those racing scenes had me on the edge of my seat. So if someone other than Spielberg has to direct, I'm totally fine with it being Mangold. I just hope this doesn't cause another delay, since we've already had three of those and Harrison isn't getting any younger.
  • DoctorNoDoctorNo USA-Maryland
    I love Minority Report, Munich and Lincoln, and think they’re all top Spielberg.

He’s no longer in his prime for sure as far as consistency and he should steer clear of trying to make pop movies, Ready Player One. He’s also working again on another Mark Rylance movie which is another setting himself up for at best good, not great movie as far as I can see.

He’s still capable of knocking something great out though so you can’t count him out completely.
    Scorsese is still knocking out great work and he's older than Spielberg. I agree with Dr.No, there's no reason to think Spielberg can't still do some top-notch stuff. I want to embrace these creative talents while we still have them.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Thanks; looking forward to watching that.