NTTD Gun Barrel Sequence OOO O O O

Comments

• GadgetManGadgetMan Lagos, Nigeria
    edited February 2020 Posts: 4,247
    GadgetMan wrote: »
    Octopussy wrote: »
    Just because we saw the same Roger Moore gun barrel footage from TSWLM being used all the way up to AVTAK doesn't make it a tradition worth maintaining. I look forward to the next actor shooting a new gun barrel for each film as well.

I always felt the Roger Moore GB from LALD and TMWTGG should've been used the whole way through his tenure. I thought it was more energetic then the ones that followed.

I agree....I prefer his pose in LALD & TMWTGG....the way his suit was one-sided immediately after he fired his gun, looked very stylish....coupled with him holding his wrist...instead of both hands like the ones that later followed....plus he wore a business suit & the trousers were normal.

He actually holds his wrist in TSWLM gb as well when you examine it closely. In fact that’s pretty much Moore’s standard pose when you look at all the publicity photos.

Yeah, maybe it just seems a bit too close to his hands though....from TSWLM....sort of vague...but in LALD & TMWTGG....it's crystal clear it's his wrist.
  • OctopussyOctopussy Piz Gloria, Schilthorn, Switzerland.
    After TMWTGG he looks old and slow in his GB, IMO.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    In Moore's LALD/TMWTGG gunbarrel, his aim is off. Bond shoots, then adjusts his aim afterwards. It also looks like Bond is holding his upper forearm. I only noticed that now. I always thought he held his wrist. At least they fixed that in his TSWLM-AVTAK gunbarrel.
  • GadgetManGadgetMan Lagos, Nigeria
    edited February 2020 Posts: 4,247
    CR's trailer Gunbarrel is another exquisite one...the design is traditional & the way it encloses Bond once he fires, was quite thunderous, maybe a bit OTT....but still a good one....I just need a Brisk & Boisterous Gunbarrel in NTTD....although not in the vein of QoS.
  • LeonardPineLeonardPine The Bar on the Beach
    My favourite GB's are TB, OHMSS, FYEO, TLD, LTK and GE.

Sorry but the GB from SP looks like an afterthought.
    Yeah I do wonder what the design for this one will be like. After reintroducing the classic Binder design in SP I feel best logical step would be to go full Brosnan with it - to be frank it's the only modern interpretation of the design that still felt distinctively Bond.
  • Octopussy wrote: »
    Just because we saw the same Roger Moore gun barrel footage from TSWLM being used all the way up to AVTAK doesn't make it a tradition worth maintaining. I look forward to the next actor shooting a new gun barrel for each film as well.

I always felt the Roger Moore GB from LALD and TMWTGG should've been used the whole way through his tenure. I thought it was more energetic then the ones that followed.

They would have had to reshape it for the 2.35:1 aspect ratio, which is why they shot a new one.
    The only thing I don't like of Moore's original GB is the obvious freezing of the frame after Moore fires his gun. Same thing with Lazenby's.

I think the On Her Majesty's Secret Service GB is the best in the franchise. I think Lazenby's walk has swagger and his finish was the most dramatic, IMO. I remember hearing somewhere that the producers wanted him to replicate what Connery had done previously, but he said he was going to do it his way and that was the result.

Story goes that George was happy with his first take and when they asked him for a second take, he kept deliberately messing it up so they had to use his first one!
  • DoctorKaufmannDoctorKaufmann Can shoot you from Stuttgart and still make it look like suicide.
    SP's gunbarrel was fine with the classic Binder design. I also suppose they will keep the fat dripping blood, as some kind of consistency within the Craig era. They hopefully change it for B26. The only thing I like from the QOS-GB was, that we actually can see Craig turn around and walks on. I quite liked that.
  • DoctorKaufmannDoctorKaufmann Can shoot you from Stuttgart and still make it look like suicide.
    mtm wrote: »

I preferred the later one I think (don’t his feet sort of end up together in his first one?), but I don’t think they could’ve used the LALD one because of the change of aspect ratio.

I think, I also read it or heard this being the reason, why they shot a new GB for TSWLM.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    I liked that QoS seemed to introduce (unless my memory is playing tricks on me) that the lights would dim when he shot and he turned to silhouette, which they kept for Spectre. I liked that touch.
  • MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython “Baja?!”
    I liked that QoS seemed to introduce (unless my memory is playing tricks on me) that the lights would dim when he shot and he turned to silhouette, which they kept for Spectre. I liked that touch.

I only recall SP doing that. Certainly wasn’t present in SF.
  • edited February 2020 Posts: 15,801
    I'd like to see Craig try a new pose for NTTD. Perhaps using both hands like Sir Roger?

I always liked that in Binder's era, each Bond (Simmons included) had their own individual gunbarrel stance. I do like Craig's pose in SF and SP, though. Reminds me of the US 1 sheet poster for LTK.

Also, NTTD is apparently 3 hours long. There's no excuse not to present the gunbarrel in it's full glory, rather than the truncated versions we've been getting.
  • OctopussyOctopussy Piz Gloria, Schilthorn, Switzerland.
    Mathis1 wrote: »
    The only thing I don't like of Moore's original GB is the obvious freezing of the frame after Moore fires his gun. Same thing with Lazenby's.

I think the On Her Majesty's Secret Service GB is the best in the franchise. I think Lazenby's walk has swagger and his finish was the most dramatic, IMO. I remember hearing somewhere that the producers wanted him to replicate what Connery had done previously, but he said he was going to do it his way and that was the result.

Story goes that George was happy with his first take and when they asked him for a second take, he kept deliberately messing it up so they had to use his first one!

+1
  • RichardTheBruceRichardTheBruce I'm motivated by my Duty.
    The problem with the GB in Spectre is that it's evident he's holding the Walther PPK when walking into frame. The whole point of the GB is that it's a surprise and the person on the other end doesn't realize he's about to shoot.
    Craig Bond stepping out with the visible handgun IS a surprise. I loved it. Confident. Brash. Bond shaking things up.

And to the separate suggestion it's intended as an insult to the audience, to me that's like taking Q's line about exploding pens and "we don't go in for that sort of thing any more" as anything other than an in-joke. These items are obviously presented with the intent they're to be enjoyed, whether a person likes them or loathes them.

• mtmmtm United Kingdom

I only recall SP doing that. Certainly wasn’t present in SF.

Yeah I think you’re right. It did look really good though; I hope they do that again.
    I wouldn’t mind if they reused his walk from the Spectre one: I think it’s great.
  • Mathis1 wrote: »

That reminds me of the hilarious scene of that happening in the interview/dramatised film about Lazenby, 'Becoming Bond'.
  • antovolk wrote: »
    From the new set visit articles that came out today (links in the production thread) - Craig filmed a new gun barrel on the last day of shooting, which at the time was definitely intended to open the film, per Barbara.

One article was a little bit misleading. The GB was filmed on the day of the set visit, which was prior to the last day of shooting.
  • 00Dalton700Dalton7 Portsmouth
    One wonders if the footage of Craig waking around the lettering of NTTD was filmed at the same time as the barrel? That would indicate his attire?!
    00Dalton7 wrote: »
    One wonders if the footage of Craig waking around the lettering of NTTD was filmed at the same time as the barrel? That would indicate his attire?!

As that title reveal came out a good two months before the barrel was shot (on the last week of filming in October) then no.

However, the other indicator is that they were shooting the Cuba stuff at the time the barrel was filmed.
    ToTheRight wrote: »
    I'd like to see Craig try a new pose for NTTD. Perhaps using both hands like Sir Roger?

I always liked that in Binder's era, each Bond (Simmons included) had their own individual gunbarrel stance. I do like Craig's pose in SF and SP, though. Reminds me of the US 1 sheet poster for LTK.

Also, NTTD is apparently 3 hours long. There's no excuse not to present the gunbarrel in it's full glory, rather than the truncated versions we've been getting.

Hear, hear.
    Mathis1 wrote: »

+1

My fav gunbarrel of them all, the one from OHMSS.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited February 2020 Posts: 14,931
    Has anyone done a corrected version of the OHMSS one i.e. with the music in the right place and George not moonwalking during it? :D

There's a 'corrected' version of the Spectre one on YouTube and it's rather lovely.
    Has anyone done a corrected version of the OHMSS one i.e. with the music in the right place and George not moonwalking during it? :D

There's no correction for perfection ;)
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    The slippy slidey walking is perfection?
  • NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada
    Just rewatched the OHMSS gunbarrel, and no. No hat and no knee, I plead for them to keep the Spectre gunbarrel, even though this may be more at home in "Controversial Opinions on Bond".
  • MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython “Baja?!”
    Marvel does this thing where they'll have a short prologue scene taking place before we see the Marvel logo be unveiled, like in CIVIL WAR and GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY.

Perhaps we could get something similar with the gun barrel? Given the young Madeleine sequence doesn't feature Bond, it doesn't open with a gun barrel. Once that sequence ends we then get a gun barrel which segues to Bond and Madeleine in Italy, and then once that's done it segues to the title sequence.
    Marvel does this thing where they'll have a short prologue scene taking place before we see the Marvel logo be unveiled, like in CIVIL WAR and GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY.

Perhaps we could get something similar with the gun barrel? Given the young Madeleine sequence doesn't feature Bond, it doesn't open with a gun barrel. Once that sequence ends we then get a gun barrel which segues to Bond and Madeleine in Italy, and then once that's done it segues to the title sequence.

I'd prefer if they stick to the classic way. We've had Bond-less PTS' before.
  • JG007JG007 Manchester, UK
    LTK & OHMSS are my favourites

🍸
    GE and CR for me. :D