"Hold the presses!": What newspapers, magazines or journals do you read? (aka The Press Thread)

DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
edited April 2021 in General Discussion Posts: 17,729
I see we have no specific thread on the Press in the UK and beyond. I wanted to combine such a discussion thread on the Press with discussing what newspapers, magazines or even academic journals you read on a regular or not so regular basis? Do you read them as traditional print editions or on your smartphone, tablet or PC? Do you subscribe to any particular newspapers, magazines or academic journals? We can discuss your reading habits and by extension your opinions on the Press in the UK and beyond here in this thread. Hopefully this will make for an interesting and wide-ranging discussion! :)

The quote that forms part of the title for this thread of course comes from Elliot Carver in Tomorrow Never Dies (1997):

"Gentlemen, and ladies, hold the presses. This just in. By curious quirk of fate, we have the perfect story with which to launch our satellite news network tonight. It seems a small crisis is brewing in the South China Seas. I want full newspaper coverage, I want magazine stories, I want books, I want films, I want TV, I want radio, I want us on the air 24 hours a day, this is our moment! And a billion people around this planet will watch it, hear it, and read about it from the Carver Media Group."

Comments

• DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited January 2020 Posts: 15,686
    This topic reminds me of a great quote from Denzel Washington: "If you don't read the newspapers, you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers, you are misinformed."

Personally, living in France, I tend to read Le Monde.
  • zebrafishzebrafish <°)))< in Octopussy's garden in the shade
    edited January 2020 Posts: 4,311
    I follow the course of the world by reading the Guardian as well as the Frankfurter Allgemeine Zeitung (FAZ) or Sueddeutsche online (I am in Germany). And I read the printed local newspaper each morning.

5 years ago I stopped to read Google News, because there turned out to be a very mixed bag of "news" from dubious outlets (extremer rightwings, leftwings, foreign intervention into national affairs) that was placed there repeatedly, even though my settings should not allow that.
    I used to be an avid newspaper reader. Two papers every day (my late Dad was an avid newspaper buyer, two every day, three on Sunday!)
    I only tend to buy one a week now, on a Sunday.
    Usually the Sunday Independent! (Forgot to mention I live in Ireland)
    Magazine wise, I buy Sight and Sound magazine if there is an interesting article in it.
    I used to buy Total Film AND Empire mags, but have gone off them of late, as they have become so repetitive ( just how many top 100 articles can you do?) and in the case of Empire, the picture quality has become very poor! With NTTD coming out, I will probably splash out more, and I do like seeing the different views of the new film!
    Interesting topic. As far as newspapers goes, I only read online content from local, regional and national newspapers. I don't subscribe to any of their online platforms though, as I don't feel the content you get is worth the monthly price. I occasionally pick up magazines, but that happens less frequently these days – usually only if I have a train travel or something ahead of me and need something to make the hours go by faster. When I do pick up a magazine or two, it's usually Monocle, GQ, Esquire, Café (Swedish lifestyle magazine, similar to GQ/Esquire), or similar magazines, depending on what's available.
    Being a cheap bastard, I don't subscribe to any periodicals but manage to read a lot for free on my PC by using off-site library privileges, incognito mode on my browsers, and by opening tabs in temporary containers.

For morning news I usually go to the BBC and CNN websites, and (less often) the San Francisco Chronicle. I check the arts coverage at the New Yorker and New York Times every Monday. For politics I often look at the "Intelligencer" section of New York Magazine.

Everyday I click on Arts & Letters Daily, and every Wednesday I click on its "Book Reviews" sidebar to check reviews at Bookforum, the Literary Review, the London Review of Books, the Los Angeles Review of Books, the New Statesman, the New York Review of Books, the Spectator, the Times Literary Supplement, and the Wall Street Journal.
    I also check the articles in various film magazines (Film Comment, Film Quarterly, Cineaste, Sight & Sound) but don't subscribe to any.
  • DwayneDwayne New York City
    Wow Revelator! And I thought that I was a news junkie! I’ve been an avid newspaper reader since grade school when we were required to give little “current events” presentations in front of class every Friday afternoon. And that daily habit only grew from there.

Since I live in New York City, I maintain digital subscriptions for the New York Times and The New York Daily News. I also have digital subscriptions for the Washington Post and Houston Chronicle. As for other sources (CNN, The BBC, etc..), I will browse them when they write about a topic of specific interest to me.

As for magazines, it depends on the topics. For example, my readership increased significantly in 2019 due to the 50th anniversary of the first moon landing. And it will go up this year as we get close to the release of NTTD in April. Beyond that, I read Cinema Retro, Air & Space and BeatleFan with some regularity.
    Dwayne wrote: »
    Wow Revelator! And I thought that I was a news junkie! I’ve been an avid newspaper reader since grade school when we were required to give little “current events” presentations in front of class every Friday afternoon. And that daily habit only grew from there.

Since I live in New York City, I maintain digital subscriptions for the New York Times and The New York Daily News. I also have digital subscriptions for the Washington Post and Houston Chronicle. As for other sources (CNN, The BBC, etc..), I will browse them when they write about a topic of specific interest to me.

As for magazines, it depends on the topics. For example, my readership increased significantly in 2019 due to the 50th anniversary of the first moon landing. And it will go up this year as we get close to the release of NTTD in April. Beyond that, I read Cinema Retro, Air & Space and BeatleFan with some regularity.

Forgot to mention I subscribe to Cinema Retro, excellent movie of the 60s and 70s mag!
  • The Washington Post
    The Guardian
    Politico
    The Springfield News-Sun. Shameless plug as it's the paper I write for.

I also faithfully read Cinema Retro and Infinity.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    BT3366 wrote: »

Do you feel above your rivals?
    3068bpb0843.png
  • edited February 2020 Posts: 1,879
    BT3366 wrote: »

Do you feel above your rivals?
    3068bpb0843.png

LOL. Sometimes some of the people here rival those of the Simpsons universe.