Where does Bond go after Craig?

Comments

mtm wrote: »
    Birdleson wrote: »
    It would simply be a different interpretation.

It would, yes. But most likely worse! :) They made those choices and hired those Oscar-winning creatives for a reason. And would Goldfinger set in 1959 really feel all that different to us in the 21st century than Goldfinger set in 1964?
    I do find the Toby Stephens adaptations interesting because they make you appreciate what Eon added to these stories.

I think if this were to ever happen, it would be pointless remaking the faithful adapted novels, which are pretty much set in the time they were written anyway (Dr. No, FRWL, GF, TB, OHMSS). It wouldn't give us anything that different.

Which begs me to ask the question yet again - why don't EON just use up every last part of the books now that hasn't already been used, to put this finally to bed (we all know now what books they are - DAF, MR, TSWLM, YOLT and TMWTGG).

Under Cubby's watch, I think this is what he originally planned going forward, as Maibaum was at work nicely adapting the Fleming leftovers in the 80's, starting with FYEO, then OP, then TLD, and finally LTK.

Fleming's LALD is a perfect example of a novel that has now been used to death - first with the film itself (70's trend, loosely based, using mainly characters and locations), then key leftover scenes used in FYEO and LTK.

I panned out in another thread how these leftover books could easily be incorporated and used over at least 3 further films - a storyline cleverly using both DAF and MR for the first film, then the next film using TSWLM and YOLT, and the final film with TMWTGG (continuing on from where YOLT ended).

This could all be easily plotted out over a 3 part arc triology, as we know this floats EON's boat these days, instead of struggling with original scripts by committee that are usually fairly dire in comparison to anything Fleming wrote.

I love that idea. There's still quite a bit of mileage in Fleming.

Aside from CR, I can't offhand think of the most recent film to utilize unused Fleming material. I hardly count the SPECTRE usage of Oberhauser. Perhaps Barbara and Michael simply prefer that Purvis and Wade come up with their own plots?
  • suavejmfsuavejmf Harrogate, North Yorkshire, England

It would, yes. But most likely worse! :) They made those choices and hired those Oscar-winning creatives for a reason. And would Goldfinger set in 1959 really feel all that different to us in the 21st century than Goldfinger set in 1964?
    I do find the Toby Stephens adaptations interesting because they make you appreciate what Eon added to these stories.

I think if this were to ever happen, it would be pointless remaking the faithful adapted novels, which are pretty much set in the time they were written anyway (Dr. No, FRWL, GF, TB, OHMSS). It wouldn't give us anything that different.

Which begs me to ask the question yet again - why don't EON just use up every last part of the books now that hasn't already been used, to put this finally to bed (we all know now what books they are - DAF, MR, TSWLM, YOLT and TMWTGG).

Under Cubby's watch, I think this is what he originally planned going forward, as Maibaum was at work nicely adapting the Fleming leftovers in the 80's, starting with FYEO, then OP, then TLD, and finally LTK.

Fleming's LALD is a perfect example of a novel that has now been used to death - first with the film itself (70's trend, loosely based, using mainly characters and locations), then key leftover scenes used in FYEO and LTK.

I panned out in another thread how these leftover books could easily be incorporated and used over at least 3 further films - a storyline cleverly using both DAF and MR for the first film, then the next film using TSWLM and YOLT, and the final film with TMWTGG (continuing on from where YOLT ended).

This could all be easily plotted out over a 3 part arc triology, as we know this floats EON's boat these days, instead of struggling with original scripts by committee that are usually fairly dire in comparison to anything Fleming wrote.

Great idea. Where are the Spang's? Where is Gala Brand? Horror & Slugsy? Why don't they use Fleming? Bring back Martin Campbell to direct too.
  • LeonardPineLeonardPine The Bar on the Beach
    I’m rewatching INCEPTION right now, on a whim. I haven’t seen it since the theatre and at that time I came away kind of entertained, yet mainly ambivalent. I found the whole idea at its core rather silly.
    Watching it again, I’m noticing a lot more, as others have pointed out, how so much of this feels like a Bond film (stylistically). I guess I wouldn’t mind Nolan making a Bond film (or more, if the first works out), but definitely not an rookie 00, origin reboot, and not the end of Bond’s career either. Provided he could give us his vision of Bond at his peak (no start, no finish, no backstory, in terms of 007), I think I could get behind it.

Update on INCEPTION:
    I actually got very bored shortly after the above post and had to bake less than 30 minutes in.

I watched it again recently and loved it even more! 007 needs Nolan!

I do agree, the film at it's core is pretty silly. It's to Nolan's credit he pulls it off.
    suavejmf wrote: »

Great idea. Where are the Spang's? Where is Gala Brand? Horror & Slugsy? Why don't they use Fleming? Bring back Martin Campbell to direct too.

I'd love Campbell back, or Nolan. I think either would give us a great Bond film, as long as the script starts going back to Fleming again.

I long for a Bond film that sees 007 playing a game of cards at Blades with M to outwit a cheat, being Brooklyn stomped on by football boots, rescuing a damsel in distress at a motel from Horror and Slugsy who work for the Spangled Mob, going after Shatterhand in his garden of death, being brainwashed and returning to London to kill M, going undercover as Mark Hazard in Jamaica...

I'd love Campbell back, or Nolan. I think either would give us a great Bond film, as long as the script starts going back to Fleming again.

I long for a Bond film that sees 007 playing a game of cards at Blades with M to outwit a cheat, being Brooklyn stomped on by football boots, rescuing a damsel in distress at a motel from Horror and Slugsy who work for the Spangled Mob, going after Shatterhand in his garden of death, being brainwashed and returning to London to kill M, going undercover as Mark Hazard in Jamaica...

Don't forget swimming with barracudas ;)

Seriously now, that'd be a dream. Your idea of what Bond is all about is my idea of what Bond is all about. But I've given up on waiting for it to happen. Hey, what new actor would you choose right now for that iteration?
    Univex wrote: »

Don't forget swimming with barracudas ;)

Seriously now, that'd be a dream. Your idea of what Bond is all about is my idea of what Bond is all about. But I've given up on waiting for it to happen. Hey, what new actor would you choose right now for that iteration?

It looks like its going to be James Norton, which I'd be ok with. What would make me more happy is if I heard the right noises from whoever is the next Bond to want to take it back to the books, like Dalton did. Then they would definitely get my vote.

I never felt with Craig that he really believed in the Fleming novels, or held them in high regard, like Dalton did.
  • RoadphillRoadphill United Kingdom
    One would hope, after Craig, normal service would be resumed.

By that, I mean a standalone mission, every three years or so. Hopefully devoid of much of the melodrama we have seen in recent years.

I don't think this will be the case, mind you. This appears to be EON's approach to Bond, these days.
  • edited January 2020 Posts: 6,677
    I'm fairly certain it won't be Norton. Even more so after reading Bab's interview on Variety. They don't know. And they'll take their time finding out who's gonna be the next one. "Years", they say. I'm a Fleming purist, so I'd very much like a return to the novels in a more traditional way, even, with an actor who looks like the Bond from the novels. But even that may change, as she (Babs) says he can be from any ethnicity as long as he remains male. So that may even get us further away from the books. I don't know, my view on it is, let's enjoy NTTD, it may very well be the last recognisable Bond film for a while. And whoever wants to shoot me for saying this, go right ahead, but I mean it. We may very well be hailing Craig as the last actor who looked like the Bond from the books, height and hair notwithstanding.
    I'm fairly certain it won't be Norton. Even more so after reading Bab's interview on Variety. They don't know. And they'll take their time finding out who's gonna be the next one. "Years", they say. I'm a Fleming purist, so I'd very much like a return to the novels in a more traditional way, even, with an actor who looks like the Bond from the novels. But even that may change, as she (Babs) says he can be from any ethnicity as long as he remains male. So that may even get us further away from the books. I don't know, my view on it is, let's enjoy NTTD, it may very well be the last recognisable Bond film for a while. And whoever wants to shoot me for saying this, go right ahead, but I mean it. We may very well be hailing Craig as the last actor who looked like the Bond from the books, height and hair notwithstanding.

If EON do something stupid as a radical departure with the next actor to play Bond, then the series will be doomed, and they need to sell it quickly to someone like Chris Nolan, who can salvage it.

The glaringly obvious factor when looking for the next actor to play Bond is either -

1) someone who closely resembles the Fleming description, but also carries that star quality X factor charisma too (something Dalton was criticised for lacking), and toughness (something Brozza was lacking).

2) someone in the mould of the original screen Bond, Mr. Connery. He doesn't need to be a 100% Scottish clone, but someone that resembles Connery's height, dark looks, swagger, deep voice, masculinity, charisma, overall toughness and sex appeal . Arguably Craig had some of this, but not all, as he didn't have the dark looks or height, and Lazenby had some of this, without the extra charisma, star quality or acting ability.

Picking someone from one of these 2 camps and EON wouldn't be going too far wrong.
  • edited January 2020 Posts: 6,677

If EON do something stupid as a radical departure with the next actor to play Bond, then the series will be doomed, and they need to sell it quickly to someone like Chris Nolan, who can salvage it.

The glaringly obvious factor when looking for the next actor to play Bond is either -

1) someone who closely resembles the Fleming description, but also carries that star quality X factor charisma too (something Dalton was criticised for lacking), and toughness (something Brozza was lacking).

2) someone in the mould of the original screen Bond, Mr. Connery. He doesn't need to be a 100% Scottish clone, but someone that resembles Connery's height, dark looks, swagger, deep voice, masculinity, charisma, overall toughness and sex appeal . Arguably Craig had some of this, but not all, as he didn't have the dark looks or height, and Lazenby had some of this, without the extra charisma, star quality or acting ability.

Picking someone from one of these 2 camps and EON wouldn't be going too far wrong.

I agree with you completely. One of those two would be the way to go.
    But I still fear they won't.
    There has to be someone out there that encapsulates all of that.
  • 007Blofeld007Blofeld In the freedom of the West.

Adain Turner
    007Blofeld wrote: »

Adain Turner
    Yes.
  • edited January 2020 Posts: 727
    The next Bond director has to be Quentin Tarantino. Once upon a Hollywood has assured me of that decision. He would make an absolute sumptuous Bond film. Remember those shots of Brad Pitt driving around LA in his blue Chevrolet? They had the same energy as a Connery film. They were priceless.

And lol no at Nolan. The bloke is much too sexless and joyless to be directing any Bond movie. Keep him away.
  • The next Bond director has to be Quentin Tarantino. Once upon a Hollywood has assured me of that decision. He would make an absolute sumptuous Bond film. Remember those shots of Brad Pitt driving around LA in his blue Chevrolet? They had the same energy as a Connery film. They were priceless.

And lol no at Nolan. The bloke is much too sexless and joyless to be directing any Bond movie. Keep him away.

I'm a huge Tarantino fan, but wouldn't want him to direct a Bond.
    edited January 2020 Posts: 3,126

Adain Turner
    Yes.

He is my top choice he has got that killer look. He said he would be into it when Craig left. https://www.digitalspy.com/movies/a856351/poldark-aidan-turner-keen-on-james-bond-role/

Adain Turner
    Yes.

He is my top choice he has got that killer look. He said he would be into it when Craig left. https://www.digitalspy.com/movies/a856351/poldark-aidan-turner-keen-on-james-bond-role/

Too feminine looking, too much like Brosnan.

Sam Claflin good actor,
  • NicNacNicNac Administrator, Moderator
    I thought we didn’t want a female Bond.

:)) - Oh mercy.
  • Where does Bond go after Craig?
    On hiatus.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    CraterGuns wrote: »
    On hiatus.

That’s what I’d guess too.
  • DrClatterhandDrClatterhand United Kingdom
    Denis Villeneuve needs to direct Bond 26. Get rid of P&W. No baggage from this era either.
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    CraterGuns wrote: »
    On hiatus.

That's the most realistic answer we're likely to get to the question that serves as this thread's title.

Adain Turner
    Yes.

Too feminine looking, too much like Brosnan.

@jetsetwilly feminine? interesting I guess that one photo of him he looks like Bond
    Denis Villeneuve needs to direct Bond 26. Get rid of P&W. No baggage from this era either.

+1
  • MaxCasinoMaxCasino United States

+1

+2

I think an adaptation of Forever and a Day is the best way to go. No baggage from DC. Enough with the “original” screenplays from P & W. Also, in the future of Bond films, I would like to see Felix Leiter from Dynamite Comics get co-adapted. If M, Q and Moneypenny can get more screen time, so can Felix. What better way to do it? Plus, Tiger Tanaka can come back.
  • Agent_47Agent_47 Canada
    Right back to some Fleming material, we're past due.

Much like Craig, the next Bond needs to be given some proper Fleming to work with in his first film.
  • OctopussyOctopussy Piz Gloria, Schilthorn, Switzerland.
    Agent_47 wrote: »

Much like Craig, the next Bond needs to be given some proper Fleming to work with in his first film.

Agree. You get a sense that Craig's impact on the franchise will be long lasting, in the sense that the producers would like the films to remain somewhat grounded in reality.

I also hope that they retain the current casting of M, Q and Moneypenny, similarly to the earlier films where the Bond changed but those around him remained the same.

Absolutely! And once its all been exhausted (at least 3 movies worth), get cracking on Trigger Mortis, then Forever and a Day.

P&W should only remain in their roles if they start proving they can do what Maibaum did - cleverly adapting Fleming.
  • RC7RC7

Absolutely! And once its all been exhausted (at least 3 movies worth), get cracking on Trigger Mortis, then Forever and a Day.

P&W should only remain in their roles if they start proving they can do what Maibaum did - cleverly adapting Fleming.

Not going to happen, I’m afraid. They might dip in again but they aren’t going to exhaust it with any great speed.
  • QQ7QQ7 Croatia

Hard agree

Hard agree, again.