No Time to Die production thread

Comments

And thanks @boldfinger.
  • GadgetManGadgetMan Lagos, Nigeria
    I think it depends on the story, if it's thoroughly engaging, one won't know when 2hr+ or 3hrs flies by. That's why People can sit through Peter Jackson's Middle Earth Adventures.
  • ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
    I have no problem with epic lengths, my Wife commented as we came out of Skyfall in concert (she hadn't seen it for around 6 years and me it was 4) that she'd forgotten how well paced it was, all killer no filler.

I know there will be quite a few who disagree on here but concur with my spouse on this. Also CR I don't find it too long at all, if a film engages you and doesn't lose your interest the length is irrelevant.

OHMSS is another epic and I love every minute of it, the length of the film does not dictate my interest its the content, if that hooks me then job done and I'll happily sit through its epic length

Though SPECTRE felt every 2 hr 28 minutes of its running time. because it doesn't engage me, in fact after the PTS stretches of it bore me to death.

I like QOS but I still stick with the opinion that another 20 - 30 minutes would have benefited it despite some loving its quick as a bullet idea.

I notice a pattern with those knocking the length of films in this era not all but quite a few aren't Craig's biggest fans.

We'll wait till the next guy comes round that they likely will have more preference for and see if the films continue at these epic lengths if the this is a problem for them then.

There is the philosophy that the next guy will get shorter films, where do you get that idea from?

Big budget blockbusters have been epic lengths for sometime now, Tenet is going to be another epic for Nolan no doubt and the last 2 Avengers films were beasts and all of the 3 Star Wars films.

What makes you think a new actor will appearing in QOS style duration entries?
    As long as they change those butthurting chairs with recliners or something, or implement a 10 minute break if the movie passes the 140 minute mark like in the good old days, I have no problem with it being 180 minute plus movie.
    I think it would be funny if film were three plus hours with a fifteen minute intermission in which the gunbarrel is played on loop.
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    That's the only place the gunbarrel hasn't been! #gunbarrelyouolddevil
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    Totally fine with a 174 minute runtime, despite my gut telling me that it's not true. Pacing is everything.
  • GatecrasherGatecrasher Classified
    I had to come back to this. If the long runtime for NTTD is true, then I hope every minute on the screen is worth it. With longer films, you can sometimes feel the length (for example, SP was a drag to sit through), while CR felt like no time passed by, up until the last 20 or so minutes for me.

Like CraigMooreOHMSS above me said, “pacing is everything.”
  • WalecsWalecs On Her Majesty's Secret Service
    ToTheRight wrote: »
    I think it would be funny if film were three plus hours with a fifteen minute intermission in which the gunbarrel is played on loop.

They should make a reverse Bond movie à la Memento or something.

2 hours Bond movie; the movie begins as Bond is about to be killed by the villain, than we have several flashbacks in a random order about Bond discovering the villain's plan, tracing the villain, meeting the Bond girl etc.
    The title song kicks in at 1h 45m, then we have a post title sequence where Bond sets himself free, kills the villain and beds the girl. Finally we get the gunbarrel at the end.
  • TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports
    The run time for SP in and of itself was not a problem. I find the pacing, action, and level of intrigue fine...until Bond gets tortured. Everything thereafter was a mess and hard to sit through.
  • GatecrasherGatecrasher Classified
    TripAces wrote: »
    The run time for SP in and of itself was not a problem. I find the pacing, action, and level of intrigue fine...until Bond gets tortured. Everything thereafter was a mess and hard to sit through.

I think the film should’ve ended at Blofeld’s base. London scenes were tacked on and, like you said, it was for sure a mess.
  • RichardTheBruceRichardTheBruce I'm motivated by my Duty.
    Walecs wrote: »
    ToTheRight wrote: »
    They should make a reverse Bond movie à la Memento or something.

2 hours Bond movie; the movie begins as Bond is about to be killed by the villain, than we have several flashbacks in a random order about Bond discovering the villain's plan, tracing the villain, meeting the Bond girl etc.
    The title song kicks in at 1h 45m, then we have a post title sequence where Bond sets himself free, kills the villain and beds the girl. Finally we get the gunbarrel at the end.
    I know just the director for that pitch.

The difference between SF & SP, is SF opened big & closed big. While SP opened big & closed small.
    GadgetMan wrote: »
    The difference between SF & SP, is SF opened big & closed big. While SP opened big & closed small.

The helicopter fight should have been with Hinx, at the end, over the Thames.
  • ResurrectionResurrection Kolkata, India
    If we have 4 years gap in a bond film then 3 hrs isn't going to be an issue for me. The more bond the better.
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    If we have 4 years gap in a bond film then 3 hrs isn't going to be an issue for me. The more bond the better.
    Agreed. Pacing is key.
    jake24 wrote: »
    Agreed. Pacing is key.

True. How they use the time, whether it's 2 hours or 3, is what counts. CR, OHMSS, and SF are all on the longer side but I love them all, and they never feel that long to me. Still, it would be pretty wild to get a 3 hour Bond film just because it's never happened before.
    Minion wrote: »
    I rewatched QoS last night, and I wouldn't have minded an extra 30-60 minutes to flesh it out. The more the better I say, as long as the content warrants it.

There were definitely places where the film needed to slow down, particularly when Bond and Camille were in the plane.

Huh? The last 25 minutes of SF is Bond defending Skyfall against intruders and the confrontation in the old church.

In SP it was Bond escaping the villains lair and causing the biggest explosion yet to be seen in a movie, a fight between M and C and Bond chasing a helicopter down Thames.
    How's that closing small?

Yeah, true....although, I've always thought Bond & Hinx deserved another big fight at the end...maybe not necessarily in the helicopter. More fisticuffs, gun fights, explosions, etc. And i've always thought that More action was needed inside that building. Then the chase, should have been more elaborate & longer....the whole thing really felt rushed to be honest. Almost as if they wrote the climax very late.
    edited January 2020 Posts: 4,247
    Zekidk wrote: »

Huh? The last 25 minutes of SF is Bond defending Skyfall against intruders and the confrontation in the old church.

In SP it was Bond escaping the villains lair and causing the biggest explosion yet to be seen in a movie, a fight between M and C and Bond chasing a helicopter down Thames.

Yeah, I think why SF's finale is Bigger, is coz it featured bigger, longer explosions & Gun fights. And to be honest that biggest explosion shot....even if it truly was, I never really felt it's impact on the screen. Am not saying I want Michael Bay near a Bond film....but imagine if he filmed what he calls 'The biggest explosion ever'. Even the explosion after Bond flames Sanchez in LTK looks bigger. Or maybe coz it was done when Bond & Madeleine were just talking. I think the explosion should have occurred, once Bond flew the Helicopter away with Madeleine....I think that shows more peril.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans

Oooh, yes...
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited January 2020 Posts: 14,944
    Shardlake wrote: »
    I have no problem with epic lengths, my Wife commented....

No one likes a boaster ;)

:D

Yeah, I think why SF's finale is Bigger, is coz it featured bigger, longer explosions & Gun fights. And to be honest that biggest explosion shot....even if it truly was, I never really felt it's impact on the screen. Am not saying I want Michael Bay near a Bond film....but imagine if he filmed what he calls 'The biggest explosion ever'. Even the explosion after Bond flames Sanchez in LTK looks bigger. Or maybe coz it was done when Bond & Madeleine were just talking. I think the explosion should have occurred, once Bond flew the Helicopter away with Madeleine....I think that shows more peril.

I think SF’s ending felt “bigger” than SP’s is because the stakes were clear and character driven. Bond’s return to London in SP and the subsequent action is driven solely by plot. Plot and character have to work together in order to create an emotional through line that reinforces the overall theme. SF does that in its climax, SP doesn’t.

Burgess wrote: »

I think SF’s ending felt “bigger” than SP’s is because the stakes were clear and character driven. Bond’s return to London in SP and the subsequent action is driven solely by plot. Plot and character have to work together in order to create an emotional through line that reinforces the overall theme. SF does that in its climax, SP doesn’t.

Yeah, Very true....Obviously SF's stakes were higher. And I didn't even want to mention that, as I felt I would be insulting the film....coz that's a no-brainer. I think it's safe to say the higher the stakes, the bigger the action.
  • RC7RC7
    edited January 2020 Posts: 10,512

You took the words right out of my pocket.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    RC7 wrote: »

You took the words right out of my pocket.

I was thinking the exact same thing.
    Although, most times even when the stakes are high....it doesn't guarantee a big finale. Like I don't think CR's Ending is Bigger than TB's...and CR had more Emotion & a Character-Driven plot.

Yeah, I think why SF's finale is Bigger, is coz it featured bigger, longer explosions.
    Have to stop you right there.

"Spectre record for largest film stunt explosion"
    https://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-34775078

Yeah, I think why SF's finale is Bigger, is coz it featured bigger, longer explosions.
    Have to stop you right there.

"Spectre record for largest film stunt explosion"
    https://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-34775078

Am aware of the explosion's award & recognition & am not arguing with that....all am saying is, on screen it doesn't look like the largest film stunt explosion....something to do with how it was filmed perhaps. When SF mansion explodes, it even looks bigger than it...with the helicopter crashing and all.