Mel Gibson - father of Timothy Dalton's son's sister

edited May 2012 in General Discussion Posts: 11,425
Once suggested by Sir Sean as a future Bond, Mel seems to have fallen from grace recently. I saw his latest film yesterday - How I Spent My Summer Vacation / Get the Gringo - and it's actually not a bad little movie. Any way, I was struck by what a natural screen star Mel is and left the cinema thinking what a shame it is that he will probably now struggle to get another film made or released. Obviously he's behaved pretty badly, but given that plenty of stars and producers seem to be prepared to line up to work with Polanski, does Mel actually deserve the treatment that he is receiving?

Comments

• CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    No. I don't really care about what goes on off screen. Obviously it's a factor but if people like Gibson and Polanski can still deliver great movies, which we know they can, then they should be given chances. Private lives should remain private. Gibson will always be cool to me because he was Sgt.Martin Riggs and Mad Max, everything else is just bumps on the road.
    Mel Gibson hasn't behaved poorly at all compared to Charlie sheen. Sheen actually stuck a knife under his ex-girlfriends throat in a aspen hotel and hes been awarded a new television program on Fox. Hes a spoiled brat who wouldn't be nothing without his father Martin.

Mel Gibson had every right to be upset, his girlfriend at the time was frequently visiting her EX (Tim Dalton) and sounded like she was trying to shake him down .

Let's face it , Mel's real enemy are the corrupt sleeze ball Jews running Hollywood. Mel produced and distributed a great film about Jesus Christ, and because it wasnt politically correct he took heat from the Zionists in Hollywood. Then he made a few comments about Jews during his drunken arrest, big deal. Every man is entitled to his opinion, I thought this was a free country. Now don't get me wrong , there are some great Jews out there in the world, there are bad seeds in every race, but as I said earlier, American Mainstream Entertainment is ran by Jews , and they're the reason why Gibson is blacklisted in Hollywood these days.
    Um what's with the title?

Anywho.. Gibson I'm sure will wiggle his way back in.. and I kind of hope so.

If someone is willing to give you work, take it.

Plus, if you get fired from your job irl there are always places to find jobs. I'm sure he's got a lot on his plate to choose from, it just may not be to the esteemed level he once was at.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    By the way, if the title is supposed to draw members in even under falsification, at least title it correctly. Just put Mel Gibson- father of Timothy Dalton's daughter.
    I didn't understand the title either, or the relevance to this thread even?

Gibson is a bit of a mixed bag, has a history of off camera problems with co workers by all accounts, but did some fine directorial work such as Braveheart, The Passion Of The Christ and Man Without a Face. I seriously hope they never go ahead with a Lethal Weapon V, any time soon, they should of quit after the second in 1989 :-L

That's about all that can be said on this issue, not a bad actor, was in some fine movies, what he does elsewhere is his business, not really interested in actual fact
  • PrinceKamalKhanPrinceKamalKhan Monsoon Palace, Udaipur
    Mad Mel certainly sported the most magnificent mullet in movie history:

image_581ddd467.jpg

Mel Gibson had every right to be upset, his girlfriend at the time was frequently visiting her EX (Tim Dalton) and sounded like she was trying to shake him down .

Not true. Mel Gibson was extremely jealous and wanted to isolate her from every men. During her time with Gibson she was spending a minimal amount time with Tim usually just limited on school's actions. There also were rumours that Tim was pretty angry that his son was spending time with psychopath like Gibson.
    No. I don't really care about what goes on off screen. Obviously it's a factor.

I do care what goes on off screen.

Do you know why?

Because it influences what goes on on screen.

I have been Mel watching since 'The Year of Living Dangerously' and have taken note of his behaviour since then. His antisemitcisn, his homophobia, his anglophobia and his very right wing religious dogma which is even too conservative for the Catholic church. His rantings and abuse not just about his ex girlfriend on the tape but about gays and jews (you should read his Spanish magazine interview from 1998 about gays - its vile) and he was accused of anti-semitism with 'The Last Temptation of Christ'

The ,man is a mad bundle of prejudices. He managed to keep them under wraps with Hollywood for a long time but eventually they spilled out.

To be frank, if the man disappeared from the face of the earth. He may have talent but he is also a bigot in a number of areas. And these do show in his work.

Don't come back Mel.

• edited May 2012 Posts: 12,837
    He seems like a dick in real life. He was cool in Mad Max and Lethal Weapon though.

Anyway, what's with the title? I know he went out with Dalton's ex but this thread actually has nothing to do with that.
  • edited May 2012 Posts: 268
    I love Mel. He makes awesome movies. What he does in his personal life I couldnt give two rats a**es about.
    Bravehart, Apocalypto, Lethal Weapon, Mad Max... withiouut Mel noone of those would have been the same.
    He seems crazy yes, but that crazyness is put to great use when he's either behind or in front of cameras.
  • HASEROTHASEROT has returned like the tedious inevitability of an unloved season---
    to use an analogy (many of my fellow americans might get)... i call upon Ty Cobb...

the man was arguably one of the best baseball players to ever live, and his on the field accomplishments are unparalleled.... but he was also a nasty human being, a racist and a bigot - who once nearly beat a man to death for calling him a racial slur..

now, sometimes - because we love one aspect of a person, it's hard to see them for who they truly are... we get blinded..

in this day and age, what goes on in your personal life can - and does often time influence your work life... isolated incidences are one thing, and can easily be moved on from - but a pattern of insanity is hard to turn a blind eye to..

for me, i love Mel's work... from Lethal Weapon, The Patriot, We Were Soldiers, Mad Max - and even his directorial outings with Passion Of The Christ and Apocalypto... but i know the man is all kinds of crazy, and is probably better left in a padded room..... i dont condone the course of action he takes with his personal life, but i can't help but like his work.
  • SandySandy Somewhere in Europe
    actonsteve wrote:

Do you know why?

I have been Mel watching since 'The Year of Living Dangerously' and have taken note of his behaviour since then. His antisemitcisn, his homophobia, his anglophobia and his very right wing religious dogma which is even too conservative for the Catholic church. His rantings and abuse not just about his ex girlfriend on the tape but about gays and jews (you should read his Spanish magazine interview from 1998 about gays - its vile) and he was accused of anti-semitism with 'The Last Temptation of Christ'

I agree and I think it's a shame that such a fine actor has undermined his own career.
    This thread must have the funniest (or most bizarre!) title ever posted on this site! It's classic! :))
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    Yes, for our next annual competition there should be a category for funniest thread names - and this one is in the running!

Mel ... used to enjoy him as an actor, now I pretty much cannot - thanks to his own sorry, bigoted and abusive life becoming public. Sad really.
    edited May 2012 Posts: 12,459
    nonut wrote:

Not true. Mel Gibson was extremely jealous and wanted to isolate her from every men. During her time with Gibson she was spending a minimal amount time with Tim usually just limited on school's actions. There also were rumours that Tim was pretty angry that his son was spending time with psychopath like Gibson.

Yes, Nonut, I heard that too somewhere. Who knows? but it seems doubtful that she was behaving in any way that would warrant saying that Mel had every right to be upset or that she was trying to shake him down. And really, that is just personal crap that I would wish was not aired publicly. I feel sorry for her having to go thru all that with him. I'm glad she is friends enough with Timothy to be able to turn to him for support or help.

• edited May 2012 Posts: 1,661
    He had a good run as a movie star. I think his career would have declined a bit due to his age even if he didn't have his 'problems'. Once you hit 50 I think you're less likely to appeal to younger film goers. Harrison Ford hasn't had many big hits in the last decade or so, apart from Indiana Jones 4. He's older than Gibson.
    Anyway, what's with the title? I know he went out with Dalton's ex but this thread actually has nothing to do with that.

I thought it established a vague relevence to Bond...
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    Mel Gibson hasn't behaved poorly at all compared to Charlie sheen. Sheen actually stuck a knife under his ex-girlfriends throat in a aspen hotel and hes been awarded a new television program on Fox. Hes a spoiled brat who wouldn't be nothing without his father Martin.

Are you daft ? Charlie Sheen is the most awesome and epic person on earth !!

And here I've been rather fond of you until this very second, DaltonCraig007.
    :-??
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    edited May 2012 Posts: 13,894
    As this isn't news, i've moved it to General Discussion.

Not Roger Moore? ;)
  • NicNacNicNac Administrator, Moderator
    I considered changing the title of the thread, but I couldn't come up with anything quite so...all-encompassing
  • edited May 2012 Posts: 4,813
    JWESTBROOK wrote:
    Anywho.. Gibson I'm sure will wiggle his way back in.. and I kind of hope so.

I'd like to see him back as well. 'Craziness' from an actor in real life never really affected my movie enjoyment. Braveheart remains one of my favorite movies- ever. Can you believe I've never seen the Lethal Weapon movies though?? I only just watched the first one last summer and liked it a lot- I have a ton of catching up to do!

BTW have you guys seen this?

fanbond123 wrote:
    Once you hit 50 I think you're less likely to appeal to younger film goers. Harrison Ford hasn't had many big hits in the last decade or so, apart from Indiana Jones 4. He's older than Gibson.

Wow, you know Ford is nearly as old as George Lazenby?? I forget that sometimes-- I guess it's because we never really saw Ford until the late seventies. He was already 35 in Star Wars. Makes him a bit of a 'late bloomer' doesn't it? Maybe there's hope for me yet! lol
    Getafix wrote:

I thought it established a vague relevance to Bond...

Gibson almost was Bond once upon a time!
    To be honest all these stars are up to something or other. Mel just got ought out. He reminds me of the treatment Brando received from the establishment after he complained that the Hollywood system was just a Jewish Mafia - cue - exile and no films.

Obviously Brando was trying to make a serious point but as soon as you say Jewish something or other, your branded anti-semitic, funny enough by the media who are run by the Jewish establishment. Oops got me. I think Jacko had it done to him with one of his lyrics and he had about three months of none stop anti-semitic headlines.

Mel on screen is a star, few of them around these days. The last two great stars of our time were Clint Eastwood and Sean Connery. I think George Clooney, Brad Pit, the Gladiator guy, the Iron Man guy and even Assbender will reach that sort of screen star status. Mel for all his faults is a screen star.

For more celeb antics - got to dlisted, Celebslam, Popbitch and that'll give you the low-down of the rich and famous.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."

Not Roger Moore? ;)

Sir Rog is so much more than just awesome and epic :)
    Getafix wrote:

I thought it established a vague relevence to Bond...

Yeah it does, I was just wondering.

Anyone watch Two And a Half Men? It's really gone downhill without Charlie.
    actonsteve wrote:

Do you know why?

The ,man is a mad bundle of prejudices. He managed to keep them under wraps with Hollywood for a long time but eventually they spilled out.

To be frank, if the man disappeared from the face of the earth. He may have talent but he is also a bigot in a number of areas. And these do show in his work.

Don't come back Mel.

His views are often pretty vile, but I can't ignore the fact that he's one of Hollywood's best stars and (IMO) a rather talented writer and director.

I've always found his obvious anglophobia quite amusing. It's always good for us English to be reminded that much of the world hates us - and with plenty of good historical justification!
  • PrinceKamalKhanPrinceKamalKhan Monsoon Palace, Udaipur
    actonsteve wrote:
    he was accused of anti-semitism with 'The Last Temptation of Christ'.

That was Martin Scorcese. Gibson directed 'The Passion of the Christ'.

Are we all forgetting mel almost could have played bond ??

link provided below -

http://www.worstpreviews.com/headline.php?id=15734

"At one point Mel Gibson wanted to play Bond.
    And Cubby was against it. Cubby first of all had
    a thing about tall people. Bond had to be tall.
    And so Mel Gibson was too short, " said Bond
    writer Tom Mankiewicz. "Somebody at (film
    studio) United Artists said to me, 'Call him and
    tell him Mel Gibson would be great.' And
    Cubby said, 'I don't want to make a Mel
    Gibson movie, I want to make a James Bond
    movie.'"
    Are we all forgetting mel almost could have played bond ??

link provided below -

http://www.worstpreviews.com/headline.php?id=15734

"At one point Mel Gibson wanted to play Bond.
    And Cubby was against it. Cubby first of all had
    a thing about tall people. Bond had to be tall.
    And so Mel Gibson was too short, " said Bond
    writer Tom Mankiewicz. "Somebody at (film
    studio) United Artists said to me, 'Call him and
    tell him Mel Gibson would be great.' And
    Cubby said, 'I don't want to make a Mel
    Gibson movie, I want to make a James Bond
    movie.'"

No. I mentioned it in the first post, as have a few others.